Type keyword(s) to search

Sherlock Mafia

• Start Topic

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past few years, there's a quote from a Doctor Who Christmas episode that has had a lot of meaning to me at this time:

On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact midpoint, everybody stops, and turns, and hugs, as if to say "Well done. Well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark."

Here's to being halfway out of the dark again, in the company of friends and polite, temporary enemies.

• Love 7

And without further adieu, I bring you the bulldog voted "Most Likely to Share his Foodbowl" in his senior yearbook:

giphy.gif

A cat who needs nicer owners:

anigif_enhanced-11146-1404930411-4.gif

A tiny pig more talented than me:

article-0-132A2515000005DC-170_634x444.j

And a VERY clean monkey. 

animal-gif-cute-baby-monkey-taking-bath.

• Love 7

That's a post full of warm fuzzies, Drogo. Thanks!

I hope our resident Texans are staying out of the paths of the tornadoes and other oddball weather patterns. It's raining here, but one of my neighbors tells me they're expecting a return of the snow.

• Love 2

I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas!  Or, if that's not your deal, I hope you had a fabulous day off work to do nothing.  lol

It's done nothing but rain here since Saturday, and everything is flooding.  Basements, roads, rivers - I live near the Mississippi - even, unfortunately, my back porch, whose roof has apparently developed a leak. I've been emptying buckets for two days.  Ugh.

The good news is, I've managed to write a mafia story, and submitted to my lovely editor.  It's a tear-jerker!  *sob* *sniffle*

• Love 2

Night 4

A Study in Grief

Molly Hooper alit from a cab, walking up the brick walk toward the lone pensive figure huddled against the cold inside his long trenchcoat. “Sherlock? You wanted to see me?”

He turned toward her, his face a grief-stricken mask. “Yes, Molly. Would you like to solve crimes?”

She peered at him closely in confusion, then looked around at the City neighborhood. “Where are we? Why are we here? It’s only been a few days since – ”

Sherlock cut off her words, speaking briskly. “This is the pawn shop of one Jabez Wilson. He suspects that his new assistant is robbing him, but I think it may be more complicated. He’s noticed nothing missing, his business is not suffering, but clearly he’s being drawn away from this location. For what purpose? That’s the question we need to answer.”

“What? I mean…” Taking a deep breath, Molly plowed ahead. “He’s gone, Sherlock. And you’re having a hard time adjusting. Not that we blame you. Everyone understands.”

“You don’t understand,” replied Sherlock quietly. “This is the last case John and I undertook together. I need you, Molly.”

She nodded, tears gathering in her eyes. “Let’s do this, then.”

They strode toward the establishment, Sherlock pausing twice to strike his heel against a brick in the walk. Knowing his methods, Molly kept her questions to herself. He banged the knocker on the door, which was swung wide by the red headed gentleman himself. “Mr. Holmes! I didn’t expect to see you, so soon after – ”

“Mr. Wilson!” Sherlock ruthlessly spoke over him. “Where is your assistant?”

“Jim?” asked the shopkeeper. “He called in sick today. Family emergency in Ireland.”

Sherlock looked up sharply. “Has this building a cellar?”

“Well, yes,” replied Jabez, leading them toward a set of steps, “but I haven’t been down there in years.”

The trio descended the staircase, stopping at the sight of freshly turned earth beneath the glow of a bare lightbulb. “Aha!” cried Sherlock. “Exactly as I suspected. The City and Suburban Bank abuts these premises, correct? I believe our friend ‘Jim’ has been trying to find a back door.”

He dashed up the steps, Molly right behind. “Mr. Wilson, I’ll be sending a young man here by the name of Billy Wiggins. He’ll stay in the cellar and watch this end of the tunnel while we try to find the way in through the bank.”

Sherlock stopped on the brick walk, typing a quick text to Wiggins, as an unmarked police car pulled to the curb. He frowned as Lestrade and Donovan climbed out. “What the hell are you doing here?”

Sally rolled her eyes as Lestrade grinned. “Nice to see you too! I’m here to see Molly, would you believe?”

Molly exited the building, crying out happily, “Greg!”

Sherlock glanced from one to the other, squinting his eyes. “I’m waiting for an explanation, Inspector. Why are you here?”

Greg sighed with exasperation. “I’ve told you: I’m here to see Molly.”

“There is clearly something going on between the two of you, but that’s not why you’re here,” replied the detective. “This is Mycroft, isn’t it? He can’t admit that he’s concerned about me, so he sends my handler to spy on me incognito. Is that why you’re calling yourself Greg?”

Molly chuckled. “That’s his name.”

Sherlock frowned at her. “Is it?”

“Yes,” Greg laughed, “if you’d ever bothered to find out. Look, I’m not your handler, and I don’t just do what your brother tells me. But he is concerned, about you and about Mary. He hasn’t told me anything, but is obvious he thinks there’s something more going on with her.”

“Mary’s safe,” shared Sherlock. “That’s all Mycroft needs to know. She’s gone to visit her friend Janine while I get things sorted here.”

“Okay, then,” replied Greg soothingly. “I’ll tell him. But you still need to call your brother. He worries.” He smiled at Molly. “Seven? Dinner?”

Molly blushed. “Of course. See you then.”

Lestrade headed for his car. Donovan gazed at Sherlock, her usual sneer gone for the moment. “I’m truly sorry about your friend. He was a good man. I liked him, even though we disagreed about you.”

Sherlock gave a brisk nod as she turned away.

Molly twisted her scarf nervously in her hands. “Greg’s nice. We ... he’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his kids and his mum and dad and his friends and all his family, even his ex-wife. I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.”

Sherlock tossed her a rueful smile. He hailed a passing cab, and ushered her down to the door. “I hope you’ll be very happy, Molly Hooper. You deserve it. After all, not all the men you fall for can turn out to be sociopaths!”

Molly giggled to herself as her cab pulled away. “Maybe that’s just my type!”

She looked up, meeting the bleary eyes of the cabbie. He reached back, holding out a bottle, and she took it reflexively. It contained two large pills. “Why, ‘ello, Miss ‘Ooper. Time to play.”

“What’s this?” Molly asked nervously.

The cabbie smiled. “Your friend Mr. ‘Olmes could explain it to you, but simply put, one pill is poison. You’re going to choose one.”

“What? Why would I do that? What if I don’t choose either? I could just get out of here.” Molly grabbed for the door handle, but it was removed. She whimpered.

Sighing with disappointment, the bespectacled man stopped the car, then lifted a pistol and pointed it at her. “I ’ave a sponsor, and he wants Mr. ‘Olmes to suffer. You can take your fifty-fifty chance, or I can shoot you in the ‘ead. Funnily enough, no-one’s ever gone for that option.”

He cocked the pistol. “Time to choose, Miss ‘Ooper.”

Teeth chattering in fear, Molly examined the two pills, finally selecting one and choking it down. Within seconds, she knew she had made a fatal error, as she felt her heart and breathing begin to slow, and her eyelids drooped. Whistling happily, the cabbie pulled out into the street once more.

Still on the Battlefield (in alphabetical order):

• aquarian1
  • Drogo
  • Hanged Man
  • Jesse
  • Lady Calypso
  • Oinky Boinky
  • SilverStormm
  • stacey
  • SVNBob
  • The Crazed Spruce
  • TJtrack99

On a slab at St. Bart's:

egavasc – The Hound, Villain
Well, you're an animal. You're scary as hell, but you have no special abilities.
Machiabelly - Mike Stamford, Hero and Weak Doctor
Each Night PM the name of a player to protect. Since your role is Weak, if you target a villain with your protection, you will also die that Night, along with any hero the villains have successfully targeted.
CuriousParker - Philip Anderson, Hero
You used to be a good detective, but your penchant for conspiracy theories has discredited you and gotten you kicked off the force. Therefore you have no special abilities.
Lisin - Mrs. Hudson, Hero and Hider
Each Night PM the name of one player to hide behind that night. If you hide behind a hero, you will be untargetable for all other roles. However, that does not mean you are entirely safe: should the person you hide behind get killed, you will be killed as well. This is a Weak role and as such you will die if you try to hide behind a villain.
caprice - John Watson, Hero and Doctor
Each Night PM the name of a player to protect that player from a single kill made during that Night. You will not be told if your protection was successful. Protection from a single kill means that if multiple players try to kill someone, they will not be saved by your protection.
MarkHB - Molly Hooper, Hero and Coroner
Each Night PM the name of one dead player to learn the names of everyone who targeted that dead player since the beginning of the game. For instance, if Player A investigates Player B on Night 1, Player C protects Player B on Night 2, and Player F attempts to recruit Player B on Night 3; you will receive a result saying that players A, F, and C targeted Player B at some point.

There is one clue in the story.

You have 48 hours to get your night actions in. (Giving extra time for the holiday.) :-)

Good luck!

*sits with Silver, sips a hot toddy, and waits for the story*

Okay, if I'm completely honest, now that Christmas is over I'm kind of glad I'm game-dead. My mother gave me an AWESOME jigsaw puzzle and I'm spending my days trying to put it together. 1000 of the smallest, most oddly-shaped pieces I've ever seen, and when it's all done, I'll have my New Year's resolution in front of me.

"For the Love of Wine." I'm going to sample ALL of the wines pictured this year.

• Love 6

^Excitedly awaits the first mafia story of 2016^

I'm sorry, that's not excitement you see in me, it's rigor mortis.

ETA: That's kind of a downer, so instead of ending with that I'll leave this here for @Drogo

160102-FunkoAquaman.jpg

• Love 4

I'm sorry, that's not excitement you see in me, it's rigor mortis.

ETA: That's kind of a downer

On the contrary, Mark, I believe that's what the ladies call an upper. 

• Love 2

Happy New Year everyone!

Two days?

Hey there, stranger! You know what's funny about you coming in a week into the new year to wish everyone a happy new year? I was at a service counter with my mother on the 1st and the woman asked us, "How long is it acceptable to wish people a happy new year?"

We both thought that was an interesting question and decided that three weeks is our comfort zone.

Oh, and I finished my puzzle today!!

• Love 2

CP and Silver, if the current game finishes before you two are ready for yours, I could run a test round (or more if needed and/or desired) using the One Night Ultimate rules to give you more prep time.

Drogo, did you mean to make "The Captain's Wife's Lament" start running through my head?  Because if you did, mission accomplished.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3

CP and Silver, if the current game finishes before you two are ready for yours, I could run a test round (or more if needed and/or desired) using the One Night Ultimate rules to give you more prep time.

Thanks Bob, we may take you up on that.  It will depend on when the current games ends.

"How long is it acceptable to wish people a happy new year?"

We both thought that was an interesting question and decided that three weeks is our comfort zone.

This year 18 days 8 hours. Most years 18 days 6 hours.

Who is a pirates favorite actor?

Josh Harrrrrrtnett

• Love 1

LOL The two hour difference is easy to explain, I was expecting you to ask how I came to those numbers.

Very well, but only because YOU were expecting it, how did you come up with your numbers?

Hair product and guyliner on him look so good,

This may be a bit naughty but I definitely would,

He’s hot and yummy, that ain't no lie,

He has me 'hooked' mmm what a guy!

The bolded part is not a complete sentence.  You would, what?