Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Former City Attorney

For Gina Torres' sake it is sad hardly anyone is talking about this show. She looked gorgeous tonight. She made the city attorney look like a little girl, especially when she towered over her. Her affair with the Mayor makes her so pathetic.

• Love 3

Whew Chile, Jessica and Nick.

Is it just me or he wasn't thrilled when Jeff showed up.

I liked Morgan Spector as Frank Capone on Boardwalk Empire, also in the 2014 film The Drop.

But he's 0-2 here and that short lived tv adaptation of The Mist.

Can't stand Bobby, Nick is more interesting.

Haven't heard Simon's Brit accent slip yet.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Whew Chile, Jessica and Nick.

Is it just me or he wasn't thrilled when Jeff showed up.

I wonder if they are going there with Jessica and Nick. I am not sure what I think about a romance between them.  She is taller than him so that would be interesting. I do think that the show is better when Jessica is vulnerable and connecting with others like she did with her family last week and Nick tonight. Maybe she could become friends with Keri and help her grow up.

I was embarrassed for Keri when she told the guy that she was in a relationship. It is incredible that she intends to wait for Bobby's wife to die. She must really be in love or think that she is.

Edited by SimoneS

Running behind  Bobby makes Keri look needy and pathetic.

Media guy dodged a bullet, she was using him.

There's something there with Jessica and Nick.

He can give as good as he gets from her, I like watching their snarky banter.

Also he didn't hesitate to protect her from the Union Boss's idiot son.

Heh, they took a few not subtle stabs at  Amazon.

Kinda sad when you feel you have to be faithful to your married boyfriend. Guess Keri's playing the long game until Bobby's wife dies.

She is taller than him so that would be interesting.

Maybe not when she takes off the four-inch stiletto pumps. But I don't see her wanting to get involved with someone who has the kind of dirt on him that Nick has. And Jeff seems to be keeping an eye on the situation--from a distance anyway since he"s out of town most of the week.

For Gina Torres' sake it is sad hardly anyone is talking about this show

Yeah, I really feel like they made a mistake with the title of this show. It's a reference pretty much only viewers of Suits are likely to get offhand and the Pearson producers shouldn't be limiting themselves to Suits fans. I can understand why they didn't go with "Jessica" (too girly for a show about an ace attorney and fixer) or "Jessica Pearson" since that's too close to "Jessica Jones." Maybe "Powerhouse"?

I don't think that the problem is the title as much as it is that they waited too long for this spin off. Suits just doesn't have the audience that can carry Pearson any more. 

18 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Maybe not when she takes off the four-inch stiletto pumps. But I don't see her wanting to get involved with someone who has the kind of dirt on him that Nick has. And Jeff seems to be keeping an eye on the situation--from a distance anyway since he"s out of town most of the week.

But  Jessica now thinks that Nick isn't a murderer. Is he supposed to be a dirty cop?  I missed some of the backstory in the premiere. In any case, the reluctant combustible attraction romance is a staple of tv shows so Jessica and Nick could be attracted to each other despite their better judgement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff ends up becoming a regular (if the show makes it to a second season). D.B. Woodside (Jeff) was likely only not available because of his commitment to Lucifer.

Edited by SimoneS

Suits just doesn't have the audience that can carry Pearson any more.  

I'm thinking maybe the producers shouldn't have been relying on Suits to carry this show. I think there could've been an audience for Pearson that hadn't necessarily already watched Gina Torres on Suits. However, the show's title likely doesn't make sense to the uninitiated. Is Pearson a guy? Is Pearson a company? On face value it doesn't compute, IMO.

The situation almost seems to me like the network wanted to make sure Pearson didn't outperform Suits before Suits ended its run.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm thinking maybe the producers shouldn't have been relying on Suits to carry this show. I think there could've been an audience for Pearson that hadn't necessarily already watched Gina Torres on Suits. However, the show's title likely doesn't make sense to the uninitiated. Is Pearson a guy? Is Pearson a company? On face value it doesn't compute, IMO.

The situation almost seems to me like the network wanted to make sure Pearson didn't outperform Suits before Suits ended its run.

I know, they really should have stuck with Second City.  Calling this by a character's last name is only going to confuse the audience outside of Suits.  We get it, but they may not, and thus no reason to watch.  And Suits hasn't been performing well in the past few seasons, so making it the lead-in was a poor decision.

The fifth episode was the lowest rated so far with a 0.10 demographic and 0.471 million viewers (almost 100k lost compared to the pilot).  That's usually considered a failure to most networks.

I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.  I do like Gina Torres and the snazzy outfits she wears, so there's always that.

• Love 2

I've felt the casting was off for several of the characters since episode one.  Nothing has changed.  I really don't know what the showrunners were thinking with the women in particular.  It's absurd to have someone like Gina Torres as Jessica Pearson surrounded by the actresses that were cast as the assistant and the city attorney. I guess they were going for the "millennial" vibe? There are young(er) people who are mature, but Yoli and Keri always come off as moody teenage girls opposite Jessica, and it really drags the show down.  And then there is the mayor, who comes off like some fratboy who stumbled into the job.

Casting people much closer to contemporaries of Jessica would have made a big difference, IMO.  Because other than the press secretary and Nick, the other office staff come across as children that Jessica has to coddle.  The showrunners did a real disservice to the character and Torres.

At least I get the fashion.       

• Love 1

Why would a city potentially pay someone $1 million who was fired in disgrace? (And whose firing for burying evidence would undoubtedly open the City up to more lawsuits and undoing of settlements based on his misconduct?)

Good thing Harvey is there to pick up Jessica's call. If there's a place where someone who has been fired for rampant unethical behavior can find a home, it's at good ol' Specter Litt Wheeler Williams.