Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E12: Top 8 Perform

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

By the way, is that AT tango choreographer, Mariam is it, the most gorgeous woman who never ages or what? And Leonardo--I wouldn't throw him out of my bed.

Miriam is stunning. She and gorgeous Leonardo have been married at least a couple of years now. LOVE how they sizzle when they dance together. They are AT champions very deserving of their accolades.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Does Nigel and Co. read this forum? Just wondering if they have their fingers on the pulse of their viewers. Voting is one way to know what the viewers want but reading this forum gives much more insight into where the viewers are coming from.

I realize this forum is biased against Madison. If I have read one or two positive comments about her that may be over estimated.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2019 at 4:42 AM, luvthepros said:

Why should the judges try to hide who their favorites are?

They have always had favorites, but the bias is more pronounced now because they are still choosing who goes home even though we only started with a top 10 and are now down to top 6. For all we know, Madison was the lowest vote getter, but they saved her. Maybe I’m misremembering, but back in the days when there was a top 20, didn’t America’s vote choose who went home starting at top 10? I personally think they didn’t send Ezra home just so that we wouldn’t have 5 contemporary/jazz dancers and one b-boy. I wish they had saved Stephanie as well so that Anna would have gone last week, and a contemporary girl this week, leaving 2 ballroom, one b-boy and 3 contemporary. I hate when it gets down to just a bunch of contemporary dancers. 

And Nigel can stfu regarding taking Lara Spencer to task over her comment about Prince George taking ballet. She apologized. As someone who has stuck his own foot in his mouth on national tv many times, how about a little grace for one off the cuff remark. What a pretentious petty tool.

This season sucks. It’s a shell of it’s former greatness. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Maybe I’m misremembering, but back in the days when there was a top 20, didn’t America’s vote choose who went home starting at top 10?

Yes. The judges were not part of the eliminations starting at Top 10. They did, however, influence the viewer votes with their critiques.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Yes. The judges were not part of the eliminations starting at Top 10. They did, however, influence the viewer votes with their critiques.

So true.  And they've just about mastered their technique. 

TPTB are constantly making changes.  When they did it in the earlier seasons, I think they were trying to better the product.  Now, I think they're just trying to get the product on the air.  So, they're making deals that they don't even like.  But, this got me to thinking of the changes that I've noticed besides the judges interference after the Top 10.

Season 1, they got rid of the "reality show vibe" where they showed the dancers conversing and mingling in relax situations, showing the hollywood week class participation, using the same choreography for two couples during the same episode, only a Top 16, and the partners were chosen each week.  
Season 2, Permanent partnerships.  Top 20.  I THINK this is when they started emphasizing that the show was about America's "favorite" dancer and not the "best" dancer.  
Season 3, the judges started "butting in" more.  They almost talked Danny out of the contest.  The biggest result of the judge's manipulation was talking up a girl-win (Sabra).  
Season 4, they wanted to emphasize hip hop dancers.  This was the highest rated season and had the most vote participation.  
Season 5, they put emphasis on contemporary dancers.  The biggest thing Nigel tried was to turn people against Evan.  But, Debbie Allen talked up for him.  Was this the last time Debbie Allen was a judge?  They also did a lot of manipulation just to keep Kayla in the game.  This time the manipulation included choreography to go with the comments.  Got another stage.
Season 6, they changed to the fall.  They didn't have a tour.
Season 7, they went with Top 11 with A.S. as random partners, depending on style.  
Season 8, they went back to contestants as partners.  The show chose Melanie from auditions.  And, they followed it up each week with bias comments and choreography manipulated for contemporarish as much as possible.  
Seasons 9 and 10, they decided to have a girl and boy winner.
Season 11 went back to just one winner.
Season 12, Stage vs Street
Season 13 Kids
Season 14, A.S. in during the auditions to choose.  T10 but paired with A.S. 
Season 15, T10 but paired with each other.  Think the A.S. came during F6.

Edited by crossover
Changed S15 from F4 to F6 bcc I remember Darius and Taylor. And Darius didn’t make 4.
  • Useful 3

I've been watching since season 2. Somehow, I didn't even know about the show during the first season or I would have watched.

There have been many format changes over the seasons. One of my biggest gripes with changes is they went to that huge cavernous stage rather than the smaller intimate stage with the steps off to the side.

Seasons two and three will always be my favorites.

5 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Seasons two and three will always be my favorites.

For me, it’s seasons three (I love Neil!) and four (Joshua and Katee! Twitch!) with five (my favorite dance of all time: Gravity) an honorable mention.

• Love 2
On 8/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, cinsbythesea said:

Wait...WHAT???  Benjamin is gone??  Going into a corner to pout if so.  NOOO!!!

I should have been voting.  I thought Benjamin was a star.  I didn't worry about him getting votes.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:48 AM, crossover said:

Agree.  It use to be if you just got broadway, you were history.  Guess tptb wanted to make sure that they had a reasonable explanation to eliminate them when they fell in the bottom.  Granted, if you do well in the "other" style, you get the praise.  But, they had to have known that Anna wouldn't be good in this type of dance.  She wasn't even good in the cha cha.  Benjamin was ok.  No Mark K but Mark is from Hawaii.

So not surprised about Anna leaving.  I know people don't like Madison but Anna is the weaker.  But I thought they would want Benjamin through T6--maybe even do a routine with Benjamin and Gino.  On the bright side, we should get at least one great ballroom routine if they assign a ballroom AS to Ezra.  It looks like Bailey is bringing in the votes.  So they probably won't mess with him unless he starts messing up Gino's support. 

I still think Gino is the show's pick.  That's why they gave him mild criticism in week 1.  Now, no one can say that they never say anything negative about him.  And when he does hip hop again, they can go on and on about how much better the routine is than the first one.  They gave him the ballroom partner so that he could look his best in ballroom.  They could've given him Anna and he would've had to try to keep her upright like Benjamin had to instead of just performing.  Then, they eliminated her so that he could get with the contemporary partner.  Now, he can shine in contemporary and jazz.  They didn't even try to give them hip hop or ballroom (styles that Sophie hasn't done) because it's not about Sophie. 

I really can't see anyone else that the show would prefer.  But, we'll see shortly.  They need to cut down on audition episodes and add to the performing part.  Time is just flying now. 

I wasn't interested in the auditions so this season is very short for me.  I enjoy Bailey so he is my favorite dancer.  I'll start voting since I was sure that Benjamin was getting the votes.

Finally watched the show from last week tonight.  And by watched, I mean ffed through.  I find Gino and Sophie to be a good couple.  Given the bottom 4, I would have sent the same people home, so that was interesting, because just reading here, I thought I would disagree with them.  Esp as Benjamin was my pick from his tiny audition moment on and I've loathed Madison from pretty much the same time.  But, seeing what I saw on my screen, I don't think there was much choice.  I really hate not having a top twenty and a real chance to get to know the contestants.

• Love 2

FFS I have to start using YouTube, Fox broadcasting suuuucks.  Last week was random cut outs, this week random audio cut outs and audio sync problems.  On a dancing program.  Honestly.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, Ilovepie said:

And Nigel can stfu regarding taking Lara Spencer to task over her comment about Prince George taking ballet. She apologized. As someone who has stuck his own foot in his mouth on national tv many times, how about a little grace for one off the cuff remark. What a pretentious petty tool.

I disagree, that was the highlight of the episode for me. Lara Spencer was at best insensitive and I'm glad she was rightfully put in her place. I say Bravo to Nigel, I thought his comments were great.

• Love 3