Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Beat me to it @Silver Raven 

God damn it all to hell. Twitter is why we can't have nice things. Well, I guess I'll still be trying to see Ingrid and Oak in August then unless they make the announcement for the next Pierre before then. I really hope the show can continue to survive. Dave's tweets made things seem dire.

I'm asking for a refund.  So if the show closes, it's probably my fault...

I'm annoyed.

• Love 1

I don't know how Ingrid and Oak are @ebk57 but I still think the show is worth seeing for the ensemble. The night I saw Dave and I wasn't that into the Natasha understudy (and there was a Sonya understudy but she was fine if a bit too much like another character... I wonder if she's a swing) I still enjoyed the secondary characters and ensemble. Helene, Anatole, Sonya, Marya... they're all fantastic. And it's still a very fun time. I don't know if it'll tour and even if it does, I doubt they'll be able to replicate the experience with the way the theater has been altered. If you can afford it, I would still check out the show. Hopefully things aren't so dire that it closes by the time you're here in August (though in that case they'd have to give you a refund anyway). 

Or did I forget something, @ebk57 and did you see the show already on your last trip?

Just now, aradia22 said:

Or did I forget something, @ebk57 and did you see the show already on your last trip?

I did see the show on my last trip and really enjoyed it.  It wouldn't be a hardship to see again, it's the principle of the thing (or something).  Plus, I'd rather see something that I haven't seen yet.  Although I don't know what's still open that I'm interested in.  I really should start thinking about this.  It's not as far away as I keep telling myself...

5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Although I don't know what's still open that I'm interested in.

Apparently I never posted anything about Hello, Dolly! I saw it 10 days ago, having realized in early June that (A) though it's a tough ticket at all performances, some seats are available for the performances Donna Murphy is scheduled to do instead of Bette Midler (I got front row mezzanine), and (B) I'd kind of rather see Murphy anyway (though I'm sure Midler is fantastic). Donna Murphy mostly does one performance a week, generally Tuesday evenings (but check the schedule), but she did a whole week not long ago and may again. 

She gives a splendid performance, fully lived and very much her own (a couple of vocal choices differ from Midler's, and in general I get the feeling that she hasn't been shoehorned into the same mold). And the production as a whole is marvelous. Unlike what you might expect from a star-driven revival of an "old-fashioned" musical, it trusts the material and is not constantly-desperately cranked up to 11 (unlike the She Loves Me revival, for one). It certainly does justice to farcical situations and slapstick timing when they happen, but in many ways, for all its bigness, it has a sincere warm simplicity, and makes us feel what the story is really about at its heart: taking a chance, finding someone who matters, and ending your loneliness. The other leading players couldn't be better, all the design elements are tip-top, and this must be one of the most involved and dedicated choruses on Broadway. I know there was a big advance sale on the basis of Midler's name, but now the word of mouth must be even stronger, because it's providing something human that satisfies audiences deeply. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a superb choice for your trip.

• Love 4
(edited)

I did see the show on my last trip and really enjoyed it.  It wouldn't be a hardship to see again, it's the principle of the thing (or something).  Plus, I'd rather see something that I haven't seen yet.  Although I don't know what's still open that I'm interested in.  I really should start thinking about this.  It's not as far away as I keep telling myself...

Oops! Oh yeah, then totally skip it. I wish I could recommend something to you but things are slow now and the only things I've seen recently and liked have already closed (Bella, Matthew McConaughey vs. the Devil, etc.). I forget... have you seen Anastasia, War Paint, A Bronx Tale, or Groundhog Day yet? Otherwise, I'd just have a good time in the city (and maybe have a nice visit with a message board friend) and save your money for the fall shows. Though I'm not super excited about anything confirmed yet... even the revivals. Maybe I'll perk up when they finally announce some casting or people start raving about Carousel.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-07-21 at 5:52 AM, Rinaldo said:

I'm just back from the movie theater showing of the National Theatre production of Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches. As a veteran of the Broadway production and three or four others since (plus the HBO film version), I can say that this one is very fine indeed. Russell Tovey and Nathan Lane take top honors for me, but everyone is excellent, and the production elements are most impressive. Part II is scheduled in a week, and many theaters are scheduling encore showings of Part I this weekend. I find it very much worth seeing.

I went to see both parts the last couple of Thursdays and came here to see if anyone else had, too. Millennium Approaches was good, but I thought Perestroika absolutely blew it out of the water - if they do encore screenings over here I'm definitely going again. Just stunning. Interestingly the only weak-ish link I actually thought was Russell Tovey, who didn't feel quite right as Joe to me.

The stage design was amazing; it made all the scenes feel so fluent. Having Andrew Garfield climb up that ladder and then what felt like seconds later climb through the floor from below was brilliant.

Edited by Schweedie

@Rinaldo, we have tickets to Hello Dolly! That's the show we arranged this trip around (that, and US Open tennis).  I was considering the pie shop Sweeney, but since the show will be in a state of flux at that point, I think we'll skip it.  

The Play That Goes Wrong has been suggested to me.  Any thoughts on that?

@aradia22, I am definitely thinking about Prince of Broadway.  A friend is seeing it on the 8th and will let me know what he thinks.  And, of course, meeting up with a message board friend would be fabulous!! 

@ebk57 The clips on youtube made me not want to see it. It seems similar to Noises Off but without the structure and intrigue (backstage drama) that makes that show work. It's just people being... bad and things falling. 

@aradia22 and @Silver Raven, I'm still deciding about The Play That Goes Wrong.  I got the feeling it was a bit like Noises Off, too, but not as good.  But my best friend saw it last week and raved.  So... who knows.  Something in its favor - they do a show Sunday night in case we're looking for something to do.  And the tickets are pretty cheap.

I just bought tickets to Prince of Broadway.  And we're seriously considering A Doll's House, Part 2.  I really wish Indecent would do me a favor and extend another month.  Please...just for me??? :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

So I saw 9 to 5 at the Sacramento Music Circus.  It was a lot of fun.

There was a problem early on where the microphones weren't set up properly and the vocals were overpowered by the orchestra, but that cleared up very shortly.

Stars were

Vicki Lewis, the Queen, as Violet.  She was the star.

Tricia Paoluccio as Doralee.  She did a good job of channeling Dolly Parton.

Anne Brummel as Judy.  She has a beautiful voice, and I would love to see her performance in Wicked.

Old pro Paul Schoeffler, a frequent Sacramento star, as Franklin Hart, Jr.  His solo on "Here For You" gave me the best vocal performance of his that I've ever heard.

Kristine Zbornik as Roz was a comic star.

Dino Nicandros as Joe had a really nice duet with Vicki Lewis in ""Let Love Flow".

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So I saw 9 to 5 at the Sacramento Music Circus.  It was a lot of fun.

There was a problem early on where the microphones weren't set up properly and the vocals were overpowered by the orchestra, but that cleared up very shortly.

Stars were

Vicki Lewis, the Queen, as Violet.  She was the star. 

[I'm sure she was.]

Tricia Paoluccio as Doralee.  She did a good job of channeling Dolly Parton.

Anne Brummel as Judy.  She has a beautiful voice, and I would love to see her performance in Wicked.

[Another musical theatre star that I love and I saw her 3 times as Elphaba in the touring company when it was in Costa Mesa.  I've seen 16 wonderful ladies play the role and she was good and ranked #12.  Probably didn't know but when she was Elphaba her name was Anne Brummel-Gallagher since she was married to Brian Gallagher who is now the husband of the original Doralee, Megan Hilty.]

Old pro Paul Schoeffler, a frequent Sacramento star, as Franklin Hart, Jr.  His solo on "Here For You" gave me the best vocal performance of his that I've ever heard.

[I just saw him on May 31st in 'Sunset Blvd' at the Palace Theatre and he was wonderful as Cecil B. DeMille!]

Kristine Zbornik as Roz was a comic star.

[She was in the last touring company of '9 to 5' playing Roz that I saw in Costa Mesa in 2011 and was a standout then.] 

Dino Nicandros as Joe had a really nice duet with Vicki Lewis in ""Let Love Flow".

[I love Dino who plays in lots of productions at La Mirada Theatre with McCoy-Rigby Productions.  In La Mirada he was superb as the Singing Voice for the Hunchback that you also saw at the Sacramento Music Circus.]

• Love 1

Today, producers Ken Davenport and Hunter Arnold announced that Tony Award nominee Phillip Boykin, Alysha Deslorieux, Kenita R. Miller, and Isaac Powell are joining the new Broadway production of Once On This Island, which will play the Circle in the Square Theatre (235 W. 50th street, NYC) this fall.

The revival of the Olivier Award-winning and Tony Award-nominated Best Musical will be directed by Tony nominee Michael Arden, and choreographed by the critically-acclaimed Camille A. Brown. The production will begin preview performances on Thursday, November 9, 2017 and officially open on Sunday, December 3.

Also joining the cast as Storytellers are Darlesia Cearcy, Rodrick Covington, Cassondra James, David Jennings, Grasan Kingsberry, Tyler Hardwick,Loren Lott, T. Oliver Reid, and AureLia Williams.

Additional casting will be announced at a later date.

Once On This Island is written by the Tony Award-winning team of Lynn Ahrens (Book and Lyrics) and Stephen Flaherty (Music), and based on the novel "My Love, My Love" by Rosa Guy. This production will feature new orchestrations by original orchestrator Michael Starobin who is joined by AnnMarie Milazzo.

Woo. Finally some casting. LOVE Kenita Miller. I wish I knew if she was Erzulie or Asaka. I mean, I'm just guessing but why would you hire Kenita if you weren't going to let her sing "Mama Will Provide" or "The Human Heart"? With T. Oliver Reid thrown in with the "Storytellers" I assume that unless there's some kind of doubling, he's not also going to play a principal role or he would have been announced with the other three? I wouldn't be surprised if he was some kind of understudy or swing though. Ken Davenport is ridiculous but I still really want to see Once On This Island.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Phillip-Boykin-Alysha-Deslorieux-Kenita-R-Miller-and-More-to-Set-Sail-with-Broadways-ONCE-ON-THIS-ISLAND-20170801

BroadwayWorld has just officially learned that Steve Martin's new play METEOR SHOWER will be coming to Broadway's Booth Theatre this fall starring Emmy and Peabody Award-winning comedian Amy Schumer, Tony-winner Laura Benanti, another Emmy and Peabody Award-winner Keegan-Michael Key, and Alan Tudyk.

Previews begin Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at Broadway's Booth Theatre (222 West 45th Street). Opening night is set for Wednesday, November 29.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Amy-Schumer-Laura-Benanti-and-Keegan-Michael-Key-to-Lead-Steve-Martins-METEOR-SHOWER-on-Broadway-20170807

Last week, SHN announced that the Hamiltour will be returning to San Francisco in early 2019 which means they're figuring out where the tour goes after the initial run. Yay!

On 8/2/2017 at 9:01 PM, aradia22 said:

Thanks @ElectricBoogaloo I stopped checking that hashtag. I love Sara so much.

I only checked for videos for about the first week of the challenge but that video popped up a few days ago when I was on youtube. I'm glad they had a few big names doing videos to give the campaign one last push of publicity before it ended!

Vincent Rodriguez III:

Lin's dad:

Thayne Jasperson:

Lawrence O'Keefe:

Today, producers Ken Davenport and Hunter Arnold announced that Tony Award winner Lea Salonga, Alex Newell ("Glee"), Merle Dandridge ("Greenleaf"), and Quentin Earl Darrington (Cats) will join the cast of the new Broadway production of Once On This Island, which will play the Circle in the Square Theatre (235 W. 50th street, NYC) this fall.

Dandridge will play Papa Ge, Darrington will play Agwe, Newell will play Asaka, and Salonga will play Erzulie.

WHAT? WHAT WHAT WHAT??? 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Lea-Salonga-Merle-Dandridge-Quentin-Earl-Darrington-Alex-Newell-Join-ONCE-ON-THIS-ISLAND-20170808

@Silver Raven Asaka is female. Picture something like... Demeter. An Earth mother sort of goddess. I don't remember the voice parts but I think of Asaka as slightly more mezzo/alto with a richer tone while Erzulie is more of a lighter, prettier sound. I don't think Erzulie has any legit soprano kinds of notes. Probably still more mezzo but very much an Aphrodite kind of character... but kinder. Papa Ge is like Hades but more villainous. Aside from the class issues with the humans, he's sort of the main antagonist. From what I remember, Agwe is just... kind of there. 

• Love 1

Thanks, @aradia22

Fox will be broadcasting A Christmas Story live on December 17, starring Maya Rudolph, produced by Marc Platt (who is probably now known as Ben Platt's father :) ) Pasek and Paul will write new songs for the production in addition to the songs that they already wrote for the Broadway production.

@JustaPerson This was pretty obvious for a while but still very sad. It was a great show and the cast is so talented. Hopefully they all go on to fantastic new projects soon. The ones I'm most excited about are Amber Grey hopefully joining the Broadway cast of Hadestown (if it transfers) and Grace McLean's music and her Hildegard of Bingen musical. 

I still have that one ticket I can post-date. It might be tough to get there this week before Ingrid leaves. I might wait until later in the month and hopefully see Dave and Denee. 

Waitress tour cast announced

Desi Oakley will don an apron and bake across the country as Jenna in the national tour of Waitress. Among those joining her in the road production are Bryan Fenkart as Dr. Pommater and a trio of current Broadway cast members.

She previously appeared in the national tour of Evita as the alternate for the title role and on Broadway in Les Misérables, Annie, and Wicked.

In addition to Oakley and Fenkart (Memphis), the touring company will feature Broadway cast members Charity Angél Dawson as Becky, Larry Marshall as Old Joe, and Jeremy Morse as Ogie, as well as Lenne Klingaman as Dawn, Nick Bailey (Red Oaks) as Earl, and Ryan G. Dunkin (Bull) as Cal.

Rounding out the cast are ensemble members Skyler Adams, Law Terrell Dunford, Patrick Dunn, Jim Hogan, David Hughey, Arica Jackson, Kyra Kennedy, Emily Koch, Maiesha McQueen, Gerianne Perez, and Grace Stockdale.

The Waitress tour kicks off October 17 in in Cleveland, Ohio, where it will play through November 5 before heading to Columbus, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and more. For the current itinerary of future cities, visit WaitresstheMusical.com.

Today's Sacramento Music Circus was Damn Yankees, and it was my favorite performance of the season so far (with Sister Act coming up in two weeks).

Stars:

Jason Graahe as Mr. Applegate.  He was SOOOOO good.  He was The Cat in the Hat in last year's Seussical.  He did a lot of ad libbing.  There was a bit where he had just sung "Those Were the Good Old Days", the audience cheered, and he said, "It's not over yet. This is my only solo, you know."  And then after that, he had to go off and change clothes real quick, and when he came back on he was in the middle of one of his speeches, and he said, "My pants are unbuttoned."  And he paused to button up.  And the he was looking through his scrapbook of past serial killers, and, Music Circus being in the round, he showed the scrapbook all round, and then held it over his head so the people behind him could see it.

Lynne Wintersteller as Meg.  She was Dolly in Hello, Dolly last year, and she is sooo good in both.

Jeff Howell as Old Joe.  He had an absolutely lovely voice, and killed it in "Goodbye Old Girl".

Zach Trimmer as Young Joe.  He has a nice voice, but he was just okay, acting wise.

Lindsay Roginski as Lola.  She was very good.  Great singer, great dancer, great legs. :)

The choreography was stellar.  It just so happened that I went to a nearby restaurant for dinner after the show and the choreographer was sitting behind me, eating.  I heard him talking about the challenges of choreographing theater in the round.  I did notice one slip up during "Who's Got the Pain When They Do the Mambo" where one of the ensemble girl cut in front of Lindsay Roginski and there was almost a collision.  I was noticing that there didn't seem to be a lot of Fosse in the choreo, and then they did "Two Lost Souls" and I nodded and said, "Yep, there he is."

• Love 1

I was in a mood today and ended up listening to all the Hello Dolly albums on Spotify. If I do see the current revival, I might see Donna Murphy instead of Bette. I see where her performance with all the facial expressions and physical comedy might be better in person but I kind of want to hear the score sung with a little more energy than it was on the album. 

Favorite Dolly: Carol Channing (to me she's Mrs. Field Mouse in Thumbelina) Her voice and schtick are just so perfect for Dolly. Even on the recording she has more personality than any of the others) I can actually understand why you would cast Barbra but I think she has a bit too much polish and it reminds me a bit of some parts Patti Lupone has played. Patti is always good. And some of her Patti-isms work very well. But she's not always the best casting for a part. Same with Barbra as Dolly. Pearl Bailey was interesting. Her voice wasn't as expressive as the others but I kind of liked the earthy quality she had. Her stridency works best on something like "Before the Parade Passes By." I'd be super interested in this revival if that Queen Latifah rumor ever came to fruition.

Favorite Horace: David Hyde Pierce slightly edging out Matthau. DHP gets it and sells the comedy the best. I really liked Cab Calloway too but he didn't come across as very stuffy... too much of a showman.

Favorite Cornelius: Gavin Creel (though I don't think any of them completely nail it. For the younger couples there are songs I like better on one album than the other. No one production has my favorite versions of their songs.) I didn't like Crawford when I saw the movie when I was very young and I still don't. I'm not sure who took the lead on "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" and "It Only Takes A Moment" in the Pearl Bailey recording but he sounded too gorgeous and not as nerdy as is Cornelius to me. Maybe it was another character. The Pearl Bailey album has my favorite version of "Elegance."

Favorite Irene: Emily Yancy or Kate Baldwin. Yancy's Ribbons is so pretty. She chooses her moments. Kate sings out more which I normally like but is almost a bit too impassioned. I did not like Eileen Brennan at all. Just one of those voices that doesn't hit my ear right as a modern listener. Marianne McAndrew in the movie was not bad at all but not as good as the Broadway versions to me. Side note: Kind of amazing that Kate Baldwin played this same part in 2006.

I will say I'm surprised at the strength of the score in standing up to repeat listenings (even with different performers). There are scores I like better. I think this is one of those shows that's better to see performed vs. listening to the album like some plays need to be seen instead of read. But I would be fatigued listening to those scores in a way I wasn't with 4 versions of Dolly. 

Question: Does anyone know why there seem to be a bunch of different names listed for the cast of the Pearl Bailey production? The people on the album don't quite line up with the information on wikipedia. Did they not record the opening night cast?

The Old Globe today announced the complete cast and creative team for the first show of its 2017-2018 Season, the world premiere musical Benny & Joon [...] The cast features Andrew Samonsky (Broadway's South Pacific, Scandalous) as Benny, Hannah Elless (Bright Star at the Globe and on Broadway) as Joon, and Bryce Pinkham(Tony Award nominee for Broadway's A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder) as Sam, along with Colin Hanlon (Broadway's Falsettos, In Transit) as Mike, January LaVoy (Enron on Broadway, Coraline Off Broadway) as Ruthie, Paolo Montalban (Globe's Allegiance, ABC's Cinderella with Brandy) as Larry, Natalie Toro (Broadway's A Tale of Two Cities, Les Misérables) as Dr. Cruz and Mrs. Smail, and Jason SweetTooth Williams (Disney's Freaky Friday at La Jolla Playhouse) as Waldo and Video Store Owner. Completing the cast as Understudies are San Diego local Katie Whalley Banville (Globe's A Doll's House, Playhouse's Freaky Friday and Escape to Margaritaville) and Jake Millgard (Globe/USD Shiley M.F.A. graduate, Globe's Guys and Dolls)

Oh, boy. This cast. It's not exactly screaming "we're planning to bring this to Broadway."

13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Stars:

Jason Graahe as Mr. Applegate.  He was SOOOOO good.  He was The Cat in the Hat in last year's Seussical.  He did a lot of ad libbing.  There was a bit where he had just sung "Those Were the Good Old Days", the audience cheered, and he said, "It's not over yet. This is my only solo, you know."  And then after that, he had to go off and change clothes real quick, and when he came back on he was in the middle of one of his speeches, and he said, "My pants are unbuttoned."  And he paused to button up.  And the he was looking through his scrapbook of past serial killers, and, Music Circus being in the round, he showed the scrapbook all round, and then held it over his head so the people behind him could see it.

Jason Graahe is a hoot and a perfect choice to play Applegate.  I have seen him in "many" shows in So Cal and he never disappoints.  I remember when my friend and I were chatting with him and his now-husband at a 'No on 8' benefit in West Hollywood at what used to be the popular Studio One disco we all frequented when we were younger when he said, "Look at us old trolls lost in this sea of young studs".  

13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think this is one of those shows that's better to see performed vs. listening to the album like some plays need to be seen instead of read.

It was.  That album did not even come close to how it was to see it in person.  I've listened to it a few times, but definitely NOT one I want to hear over and over.

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The Old Globe today announced the complete cast and creative team for the first show of its 2017-2018 Season, the world premiere musical Benny & Joon [...] The cast features Andrew Samonsky (Broadway's South Pacific, Scandalous) as Benny, Hannah Elless (Bright Star at the Globe and on Broadway) as Joon, and Bryce Pinkham(Tony Award nominee for Broadway's A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder) as Sam, along with Colin Hanlon (Broadway's Falsettos, In Transit) as Mike, January LaVoy (Enron on Broadway, Coraline Off Broadway) as Ruthie, Paolo Montalban (Globe's Allegiance, ABC's Cinderella with Brandy) as Larry, Natalie Toro (Broadway's A Tale of Two Cities, Les Misérables) as Dr. Cruz and Mrs. Smail, and Jason SweetTooth Williams (Disney's Freaky Friday at La Jolla Playhouse) as Waldo and Video Store Owner. Completing the cast as Understudies are San Diego local Katie Whalley Banville (Globe's A Doll's House, Playhouse's Freaky Friday and Escape to Margaritaville) and Jake Millgard (Globe/USD Shiley M.F.A. graduate, Globe's Guys and Dolls)

Oh, boy. This cast. It's not exactly screaming "we're planning to bring this to Broadway."

I have tickets so will be reporting about it after I see it.

• Love 2

@Rinaldo Oh, don't get me wrong. I like the cast (mostly). But they aren't the kinds of names that sell tickets, unless they're counting on the name recognition to sell the show and the cast to come (relatively) cheaply which hasn't been working out that well lately. 

I think Hannah Elless is a pretty bad actress. Very hit or miss. Couldn't land her jokes in Bright Star. Very affected in the two Inge plays I saw her in.

I liked Andrew Samonsky in South Pacific though I would have liked to have seen Matthew Morrison. He played Cable harder, more like a soldier. And he was good in the concert version of Queen of the Mist. But he's one of those Aaron Lazar kinds of actors. Does a good job, often a replacement. 

I wish I could have seen Bryce Pinkham in Gentleman's Guide since I've only heard stellar things about him in that part. Sometimes he's fabulous. Sometimes (like in Holiday Inn) he doesn't seem that expressive.

And I love Paolo Montalban though I'm guessing that's not a big part. 

Melissa Gilbert discusses her play "If Only" (and now I have the song from The Little Mermaid musical stuck in my head). I was never sure how quickly these Build interviews were posted after being taped, but she mentions Charlottesville so they must have a pretty quick turnaround.