Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

As I've stated plenty of times, I'm far from an expert in opera. I just know I've never been a big fan of Renee Fleming's voice. Maybe I would like some of her earlier recordings. But I gravitate towards more showy, vocal power when it comes to opera. The big thing for me is the way she sings. My friend refers to it as her "abusing opera diction" though he's a fan. It just sounds unpleasant and too affected for me. 

I don't really understand any of that, but I'll accept that it's my own lack of understanding. My own potential issue with Fleming in this show is that 1, she's a soprano and not the deep alto called for by Nettie's songs; and 2, she may feel that being in a musical gives her license to indulge in the "jazzy" swooping and slurping that have marred some of her operatic work. (And she's a big enough name that nobody on the production end may feel powerful enough to tell her to stop it.)

I'm also curious whether Joshua Henry can (or will) sing in a legitimate enough way to satisfy the needs of Billy's music. Again, time will tell, I guess.

I'm a little surprised that this musical continues to be produced so often these days, given the story content. I suppose actors and directors love to devote themselves to exploring "difficult" characters, but what about the audience?

I'm a little surprised that this musical continues to be produced so often these days, given the story content. I suppose actors and directors love to devote themselves to exploring "difficult" characters, but what about the audience?

I hope they've got a plan for handling the racial undertones of casting a black actor as Billy... particularly as this isn't a Pearl Bailey Hello Dolly situation so it also becomes an interracial relationship in what wikipedia says is 1873 Maine. Given the difficulties of the plot, making it "colorblind" casting in the sense that race is not relevant might come across a little tone deaf. But again, we shall see. I knew some vague things about the plot from the songs and my friend filled me in on more of it when we were discussing the casting this morning. I would guess a bigger attraction is the music, which is lovely for the female characters and from the frequency with which it's performed at concerts, auditions, etc. it's not hard to see that actors love "Soliloquy." 

• Love 1

Caissie Levy will star as Elsa and Patti Murin will star as Anna in Disney's new Broadway musical Frozen, opening at the St. James Theatre in spring 2018. Also joining the principal cast are Jelani Alladin as Kristoff, Greg Hildreth as Olaf, John Riddle as Hans and Robert Creighton as Duke of Weselton.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Jelani-Alladin-Greg-Hildreth-John-Riddle-Robert-Creighton-Will-Join-Caissie-Levy-and-Patti-Murin-in-FROZEN-on-Broadway-20170417

Hmn... I still don't like Patti Murin and I wish they'd find a better Anna. I like Caissie Levy but I don't think she fits the part of Elsa that well. She feels like she should play a character who already has a lot of attitude, not one who is repressed and needs to let herself go. But I didn't see her in Les Miserable. It's interesting that they're still going with a non-white Kristoff. Okieriete from Hamilton read the role in a previous lab. I do think Greg Hildreth as Olaf sounds like as good of a choice as I could think of unless they could possible find someone younger and more cuddly (Olaf is small and child-sized in the movie while Hildreth is a big guy... though I think he makes sense as a Josh Gad substitute). I've been hoping to see John Riddle in something since The Visit. I don't know if he can play deviously charming and evil but I can buy him as somewhat princely. I still haven't seen Cagney (and probably won't) but Creighton as the Duke seems like an odd choice unless the Duke is going to be tap dancing. They cast older actors in Aladdin and Wicked. I don't know why they'd cast someone not much older than the rest of the characters for a throwaway part. 

So Wicked is coming to Philly this summer and I'm debating whether to go.  I think my kids (or at least one of them) would have liked it because of Wizard of Oz (and Emerald City), but they won't be home when its in town, they'll be at the grand-parents, out of state.  I could drag (literally) my husband to it, or maybe find a friend to go.  But I can only really afford the 'cheap seats' way at the back of the theater, and the last time I did that (for Mamma Mia years ago), I really couldn't see much beyond "yup, there's people on the stage" and the set decorations in general, but no real detail. 

I checked on IMDB and the show is "in production" for an anticipated movie release in 2019, which I'm sure I'll see then.  Of course, it good be good for the most part (like Rent) or it could be awful (like Phantom), or it could ok (like Les Miz).

So the question is whether its still worth it to go, even if I can't see all that well from the back and its not with any "name" performers.  Maybe I can get a little closer with a side seat.  Any advice?

14 hours ago, Hanahope said:

So Wicked is coming to Philly this summer and I'm debating whether to go.  I think my kids (or at least one of them) would have liked it because of Wizard of Oz (and Emerald City), but they won't be home when its in town, they'll be at the grand-parents, out of state.  I could drag (literally) my husband to it, or maybe find a friend to go.  But I can only really afford the 'cheap seats' way at the back of the theater, and the last time I did that (for Mamma Mia years ago), I really couldn't see much beyond "yup, there's people on the stage" and the set decorations in general, but no real detail. 

I checked on IMDB and the show is "in production" for an anticipated movie release in 2019, which I'm sure I'll see then.  Of course, it good be good for the most part (like Rent) or it could be awful (like Phantom), or it could ok (like Les Miz).

So the question is whether its still worth it to go, even if I can't see all that well from the back and its not with any "name" performers.  Maybe I can get a little closer with a side seat.  Any advice?

Are you familiar with the songs? If you like the music, then I'd say go by yourself and get the best single seat you can afford (hey, you can spend twice as much if you aren't paying for a second ticket!) and bring your opera glasses/binoculars if necessary. My eyes are terrible so I had resigned myself to not seeing all the details at shows until (1) I scored seats in the third row at the ballet and realized damn, I can see every rhinestone on their costumes at that distance and (2) I rented opera glasses for $5 when I was up in the dress circle. With opera glasses, I was able to see as clearly as when I was in about the fifth row. I don't use them for the entire show because I get tired of holding them, but they really do help.

Mr. EB is super picky about seats. He'd rather sit further back so he can be in the center. I'm fine sitting on the side if I can get closer. It really depends on the theater though. Some have great sight lines from more places, but there are others that aren't great if you're off to the side. I would recommend checking tripadvisor, yelp, and aviewfrommyseat for the specific theater where the show will be.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Silver Raven said:

Apparently there are a number of problems with Groundhog Day.  They hurried to get production going by April 27 so it would be eligible for the Tonys, but they are having significant problems with their multiple rotating stages, which keep jamming.  And if Andy Karl isn't back by the 27th, will he be eligible for Tony voting?

I haven't watched this yet (it's half an hour long), but I wonder if they might address some of your questions here. It's the cast and crew of Groundhog Day (Matthew Warchus, Danny Rubin, Andy Karl and Barrett Doss) on Build. It was just posted three days ago but I think they filmed it before it won two Oliviers:

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Are you familiar with the songs? If you like the music, then I'd say go by yourself and get the best single seat you can afford (hey, you can spend twice as much if you aren't paying for a second ticket!) and bring your opera glasses/binoculars if necessary. My eyes are terrible so I had resigned myself to not seeing all the details at shows until (1) I scored seats in the third row at the ballet and realized damn, I can see every rhinestone on their costumes at that distance and (2) I rented opera glasses for $5 when I was up in the dress circle. With opera glasses, I was able to see as clearly as when I was in about the fifth row. I don't use them for the entire show because I get tired of holding them, but they really do help.

thanks for the info.  I do know a few of the songs, and that is most of what i enjoy about musicals.

Are opera glasses like binoculars?  I think I have some at home.  the problem is that I normally wear glasses and using binoculars on top of that (because I can't adjust them good enough for my prescription) is really awkward and it seems when looking through them, the field of vision is really limited.  

I'm going to see if I can get a friend to go.  That way, I can still spend a little more on a better seat, assuming my friend will as well.  Otherwise, I still just may go alone.  I did that all the time when I did a semester of college in London many decades ago and had a great time.  I used to take my school books, sit in the "returns" line starting at like 2-3pm and study all afternoon.  I usually scored a great seat for 10 pounds (and got spoiled with such good seats in the process - I got second row of the dress circle for Phantom way back when - it was awesome) - and all that studying paid off in my grades too, natch.

Edited by Hanahope
On April 16, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Silver Raven said:

Apparently there are a number of problems with Groundhog Day.  They hurried to get production going by April 27 so it would be eligible for the Tonys, but they are having significant problems with their multiple rotating stages, which keep jamming.  And if Andy Karl isn't back by the 27th, will he be eligible for Tony voting?

All this worry in the press seems to be moot. Groundhog Day opened on April 17 as scheduled, and with Andy Karl in place.

As to Carousel, it seems too soon to worry much (it's quite possible the revival may not happen at all, as so often occurs with announcements a year in advance). Jack O'Brien is an experienced and sensitive director of plays, musicals, and opera, who undoubtedly knows what he's getting into. For whatever it's worth, the recent production by Lyric Opera of Chicago (with Laura Osnes and Steven Pasquale) is said to have unobtrusively moved the period up a bit, to early 20th century. The telecast of the staged concert with the NY Philharmonic (with Kelli O'Hara, Nathan Gunn, Jessie Mueller as Carrie, Stephanie Blythe, et al), uniquely among "Live from Lincoln Center" presentations, has actually appeared on commercial DVD, and if nothing else it serves to indicate the scope of the score, R&H's most ambitious (aided by Don Walker's sensational original orchestrations).

• Love 1

I kinda wished The Laura Osnes/Steven Pasquale Carousel had transferred to Broadway, not just because Laura Osnes's new musical looks lame, but I saw this wonderful clip from them: 

ETA: I was dubious of a Groundhog Day musical at first, but the more I think about it the story really works as a musical. Better than say, Legally Blonde anyway.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

As to Carousel...the recent production by Lyric Opera of Chicago (with Laura Osnes and Steven Pasquale) is said to have unobtrusively moved the period up a bit, to early 20th century.

So unobtrusively that I didn't detect any difference in the period from any other production I've seen! (Which, in turn, makes me wonder why they bothered, or what they thought they were accomplishing.)

ETA: I was dubious of a Groundhog Day musical at first, but the more I think about it the story really works as a musical. Better than say, Legally Blonde anyway

You take that back! ;)

I have a special place in my heart for Legally Blonde. It's far better than most movie adaptation musicals have any right to be.

• Love 1

Kevin Spacey hosting the Tony's. Thoughts?

Mine is a resounding "meh." I don't think of him as enough of a personality like a stand up comic or a showman like NPH to have a big impact. I think he'll guide things along at hopefully a decent pace and we'll occasionally have to listen to some impressions. I think he could be on par with Kimmel or possibly better if he lets someone else do most of the "bits."

I really want to see Groundhog Day with Andy Karl as I saw him as Rocky in Rocky and he was fantastic. We shall see how things go as the Summer approaches and the ticket availability. 

Casting has been announced for the pre-Broadway run of the musical version of Roman Holiday!

Complete casting has been announced for the world-premiere pre-Broadway engagement of Roman Holiday—The Cole Porter Musical, which runs May 23–June 18 at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Theatre prior to an expected Broadway arrival this fall.

Stephanie Styles (Newsies national tour) stars as Princess Ann, played on screen by Audrey Hepburn. Drew Gehling (Dr. Pomatter in the Broadway production of Waitress) will play Joe Bradley, the role originated by Gregory Peck in the 1953 film.  Tony Award nominee Jarrod Spector (Beautiful, Jersey Boys) and TV and stage star Sara Chase (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) will round out the principal casting.

Emmy Award nominee Georgia Engel and Tony nominee Michael Mulheren are part of the lineup that also includes Brandon Block, Kevin Duda, Donna English, Rick Faugno, Alison Jantzie, Andrew Kober, Marissa McGowan, Kevin Munhall, Khori Petinaud, Wayne Pretlow, Shannon Rugani, Tommy Scrivens, and Brandon Andrus, Kerry Conte, Jody Reynard, and Paige Williams.

Roman Holiday, featuring a book by Paul Blake (who also co-produces alongside Mike Bosner) and Emmy winners Kathy Speer and Terry Grossman, incorporates several Porter tunes—including “Night and Day” and “Easy to Love”—to tell the story of a young European princess and the American reporter who inadvertently aids in her escape from a whirlwind European tour, resulting in an unforgettable 24 hours in Italy’s capital.

The creative team comprises set designer Todd Rosenthal (scenic design), Catherine Zuber (costume design), Peter Kaczorowski (lighting design), Brian Ronan (sound design), Sven Ortel (projection design), David Brian Brown (wig and hair design), Todd Ellison (music supervision and arrangements), Larry Blank (orchestrations), Mark Hummel (dance arrangements), and Alex Sanchez (choreography).

The musical premiered in 2001 at the Muny in St. Louis. The Guthrie Theater presented a subsequent production with Laura Osnes and John Behlmann in 2012.

• Love 1

Encores! has finally announced their cast for The Golden Apple, by Jerome Moross and john Latouche. I had my own imaginary cast for it chosen in my head, which has not a single name in common with this one -- but then, I was thinking of performers a generation older, so it's my fault. This lineup looks promising from the few performers I already know about; certainly Ryan Silverman seems just right for Ulysses. And from the little bit of research I've done, it seems like quite a coup for them to get Rasta Thomas for the silent dance role of Paris.

This is the completely sung adaptation of the Iliad and the Odyssey, set in Washington state c. 1900. It's one of the masterpieces of the form, one which some of us have been waiting for Encores! to get to since they began a quarter-century ago. (And the semi-standard "(It's a) Lazy Afternoon" originated here.) Suffice it to say that those who love musical theater and live within reach of this event, do not get to continue to say they love musicals if they pass up the opportunity to see this. It's that essential (and, alas, that rarely done). Our regional companies (including opera theaters) ought to be doing it all the time.

Speaking of NY City Center, my friend texted me today about the Brigadoon casting. I'm obsessing over it. It's in November. Now THIS is how you get butts in seats.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Kelli-OHara-Steven-Pasquale-to-Star-in-City-Centers-Concert-Staging-of-BRIGADOON-20170420

Re: Golden Apple 

I love Lindsay Mendez. I wish I'd gotten to see her in Dogfight. Alli Mauzey is a great comedienne. And I missed Ryan Silverman in Finian's Rainbow but I do like him though he has one of those tenor voices that sometimes crosses into... not my favorite place. I'll probably see this one depending on how my attempts to see all the spring shows go. 

• Love 1

Two questions for today

How did Christian Borle become such a big thing? When did it happen? Was it Spamalot or was it Legally Blonde? I feel like he's now considered a Big Deal Broadway leading man and while I do think he has his charms, I don't think his voice is especially spectacular and I'm just not sure how he managed to find this current level of success. There's nothing wrong with him, exactly, I just don't see anything that screams Big Deal Star. Am I the only one?

And number two...do you ever think we will see Rebecca on Broadway given everything that has happened up until this point? Please no spoilers about the show itself as I haven't seen it or watched the movie, but the set looked good from the foreign production photos I saw and Sierra Boggess and Tam Mutu together on stage sounds good (I believe they were the ones originally cast). The Producers have kept the website up all this time and seem to have high hopes for it on their Facebook page. While I agree it's probably a long shot with all of the legal trouble it's seen, I'd still be interested to see it finally reach American audiences. Likely?

Edited by DisneyBoy
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

How did Christian Borle become such a big thing? When did it happen? Was it Spamalot or was it Legally Blonde? I feel like he's now considered a Big Deal Broadway leading man and while I do think he has his charms, I don't think his voice is especially spectacular and I'm just not sure how he managed to find this current level of success. There's nothing wrong with him, exactly, I just don't see anything that screams Big Deal Star. Am I the only one?

Well, you may be the only one classifying him as a Big Deal Broadway Leading Man. As far as I can tell, he's considered a very particular odd goofy musical-comedic talent, not a conventional leading man at all. He's been lucky to find a series of vehicles that need such a person, because I think in general (and I feel like I've seen him say as much, though I can't pin down where and I may have dreamed it) he's hard to cast.

Spamalot (preceded by one of those "singing eBay commercials" about which people may have wondered who that guy was) helped, but he had a very minor, if visible, role in it. I can't speak to Legally Blonde, but the fact that I wasn't even aware he was in it may (maybe?) indicate that it didn't do a ton to raise his visibility. I think what kicked his career up a notch was Smash, because most people I talk to agreed with my impression that he and Megan Hilty were the only ones in that large cast to emerge with dignity intact, and a positive impression of their talent. More or less simultaneously with that was Peter and the Dreamcatcher (again an offbeat comic role), which got him his first Tony. And his second, Something Rotten!, was also a zany odd role. I think that, like many performers, he can be just right within a particular range, but if cast outside that range (and actors do love to "stretch themselves") may seem not so special.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, ebk57 said:

As long as we're posting seasons - the National Theatre in DC actually has a decent one for the first time in about forever:

Mean Girls - the new Tina Fey musical in production this fall

Les Mis

Something Rotten

Waitress

and...if you buy the 5 show package, Hamilton at the Kennedy Center!

I'm actually tempted to buy a subscription.  But I won't. 

Okay...I know if you quote yourself you could go blind...

So remember when I wasn't going to buy a subscription?  Well, I did.  I'm not sure what came over me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Christian Borle also did The Sound of Music Live on TV, so that raised awareness of him....

Absolutely! In the midst of that problematic production, all of a sudden here were he and Laura Benanti, kicking it up into a higher level. 

And why hasn't Laura B been given a show of her own? I know she does the occasional arc on an existing series (like Nashville), but if someone could devise a vehicle that utilizes the way she is when appearing as herself -- funny, dorky, flashes of sarcasm, even more flashes of self-deprecating humor, all while being impossibly gorgeous -- she'd be the most popular person in primetime. 

Come to think of it, I take that back. I don't want her tied down to a long-term TV contract, I want her to be free to star in a major revival of Lady in the Dark onstage. Soon, please.

• Love 2
(edited)

And why hasn't Laura B been given a show of her own? I know she does the occasional arc on an existing series (like Nashville), but if someone could devise a vehicle that utilizes the way she is when appearing as herself -- funny, dorky, flashes of sarcasm, even more flashes of self-deprecating humor, all while being impossibly gorgeous -- she'd be the most popular person in primetime. 

They weren't exactly her vehicles but there was The Playboy Club and Go On before her stint on Nashville. She just doesn't seem to work on TV. I mean, I enjoy her shows but they're not writing to her strengths. She did seem to have a pretty big dual role on Supergirl (which I don't watch).

Edited by aradia22

Yes, all of those. (And before those, Eli Stone.) She's been effective enough in all those roles, but she hasn't had anything tailored to the delightful "her" that's visible in appearances as herself (like her Broadway-season summaries each year). Oh well, as is the case for a lot of actors, the TV provides the financial cushion that allows her to do the stage work she really wants.

20 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Absolutely! In the midst of that problematic production, all of a sudden here were he and Laura Benanti, kicking it up into a higher level. 

Come to think of it, I take that back. I don't want her tied down to a long-term TV contract, I want her to be free to star in a major revival of Lady in the Dark onstage. Soon, please.

If we're talking about the saving graces of " The Sound of Music Live," we can't forget Audra McDonald.

• Love 3

Lynne Meadow (Artistic Director) and Barry Grove (Executive Producer) have announced a two-week extension for Manhattan Theatre Club's universally acclaimed new Broadway production of Lillian Hellman's The Little Foxes, directed by Tony Award winner Daniel Sullivan.

Tickets for the limited engagement are now on sale through Sunday, July 2. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MTCs-Role-Swapping-THE-LITTLE-FOXES-Starring-Laura-Linney-and-Cynthia-Nixon-Extends-on-Broadway-20170424

Yay, more time to see it. I'm thinking of just going with Linney as Regina and Nixon as Birdie. If I really love it I might see the reverse but probably not. I'm just waiting for the next round of 30 under 30 codes. 

(edited)

Any interest in these in development shows at Vassar? http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-Works-by-Lisa-Kron-Duncan-Sheik-Josh-Radnor-Stephen-Trask-Lynn-Nottage-and-More-Set-for-Knockout-33rd-Season-at-Vassar-20170424

The Stephen Trask one sounds like the most fun to me. I'd be more interested in The Secret Life of Bees (I don't remember the book but I read it and I think I enjoyed it) if Duncan Sheik wasn't doing the music. At least someone else is doing the lyrics but still, his music has a great... dullness. It's not slick but it's smooth... like the edges have been sanded down so you're left with something bland that doesn't make too much of an impression. Which can be dreamy or intentionally hollow and lifeless but isn't really helpful for character-driven storytelling. I find it very difficult to actually pay attention to his songs. I put all my focus into trying to comprehend the lyrics through the haze of the music and I get very little in return. They do all sound pretty intriguing, except for the Josh Radnor play. What kind of a name is Narby? Is it a weird anagram of Barn(e)y?

Edited by aradia22

Of male Smash alums, I'd (and I'm sure you guys would too haha) rate Brian d'Arcy James over Christian Borle though I'm a fan of both. It's insane that he can go from this to Shrek. Talent! Where is his Tony?

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MTCs-Role-Swapping-THE-LITTLE-FOXES-Starring-Laura-Linney-and-Cynthia-Nixon-Extends-on-Broadway-20170424

Yay, more time to see it. I'm thinking of just going with Linney as Regina and Nixon as Birdie. If I really love it I might see the reverse but probably not. I'm just waiting for the next round of 30 under 30 codes. 

There was a short piece on All Things Considered today:

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/24/525406271/two-stars-share-the-stage-and-the-roles-in-little-foxes

I saw it was extended, but it will still close before I'm up there at the end of August.  Ah well...

I do love that they went to the trouble of filming the same scenes with the actresses switching roles so you can get a sense of their different interpretations. That's what convinced me. You can find it on their youtube channel.

Well, you may be the only one classifying him as a Big Deal Broadway Leading Man. As far as I can tell, he's considered a very particular odd goofy musical-comedic talent, not a conventional leading man at all. He's been lucky to find a series of vehicles that need such a person, because I think in general (and I feel like I've seen him say as much, though I can't pin down where and I may have dreamed it) he's hard to cast.

I suppose seeing him as the lead in Wonka and appearing on Gilmore Girls and also Peter Pan Live made me start thinking "is he now considered THE Broadway Guy?" I guess you're right though about him having somehow found a string of appropriate roles suited to his talents. Still, he seems to be everywhere with no signs of setting up. I consider Andy Karl much more viable and funny, but he isn't getting the love the way Borle is.

Man, that Wonka ad does nothing to excite me. Even Christian sounds bored. And they use the Candy Man song? Meh.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2017 at 9:29 AM, Milburn Stone said:

To the many times I wish I lived in or near NY, add this morning, as I read the Hello, Dolly! raves. I'll be interested to hear the reactions of those of you who see it.

second

On April 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Milburn Stone said:

To the many times I wish I lived in or near NY, add this morning, as I read the Hello, Dolly! raves. I'll be interested to hear the reactions of those of you who see it.

I still haven't committed to a matinee on May 13, the day I see (at long last hallelujah!) The Golden Apple at Encores in the evening. I'm most seriously thinking about The Little Foxes (I was involved in our high school production my junior year), but haven't done anything about it. And every day I take a peek at the situation for Hello, Dolly! that afternoon in case a humanly attainable single has opened up for a moment. And every day, there's only that one seat available, front row orchestra. For $750.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:29 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I'm seeing it at the end of August.  I'll report back...but you all know me.  I'll report back sometime in October :-)

• Love 1
On 4/24/2017 at 9:36 PM, JustaPerson said:

Of male Smash alums, I'd (and I'm sure you guys would too haha) rate Brian d'Arcy James over Christian Borle though I'm a fan of both. It's insane that he can go from this to Shrek. Talent! Where is his Tony?

Wow, Bd'AJ looks so young! And is very impressive, as you noted. I'm conflicted about him and Christian Borle because I saw both of them in Something Rotten a couple of years ago and have had a tremendous crush on CB ever since. On the other hand, Brian is reported to be one of the nicest guys around, and I'd love to see him as King George III the 1st and 6th. And I, too, saw a video of The Candy Man song and, like @DisneyBoy, wasn't particularly impressed.

4 hours ago, Babalu said:

On the other hand, Brian is reported to be one of the nicest guys around, and I'd love to see him as King George III the 1st and 6th.

Just in case you didn't see his coronation ceremony:

And because it never gets old to see three King Georges together:

• Love 2

I saw Waitress again tonight. This time I'm serious. Quick thoughts. Sara is perfect in this role. Her voice suits the music perfectly. Her vocals were fantastic (though fair warning, this time the crowd cheered at the big notes like it was a concert). Her Jenna, compared to Jessie, has a tougher front at first (like more serious and snarky) and her journey is really about starting to care about herself and the people around her in a meaningful way again. It's also played much more like musical comedy, which I think works well and made it an amazingly fun night. When she finally does crack, I found her performance much more moving than Jessie's, who seemed sensitive from the start, and you would never guess this is her first professional leading acting role. I thought Chris was fine as Dr. Jim Pomatter. In some ways, it helped to have an older actor and in some ways it hurt. I saw the understudy who seemed bumbling and idealistic whereas Chris comes off as more solid so the mirroring between Jenna and Jim is less clear and he seems like more of a plot device for Jenna to reclaim her agency. I noticed this time that it was always her grabbing him for a kiss. He wasn't villainous but the affair seemed more callous on his part because didn't seem as neurotic and again, his function seemed more about serving Jenna's character journey. Will Swenson was great as always and brought such depth to Earl that I wanted him to be on stage more. He wasn't just dumb and angry. Not that he was a genius, but he was more clearly manipulative

Spoiler

especially in the scene where he's discovered the money and the way he threatens to kill himself

The Earl I originally saw seemed like maybe he was dim but sweet at first. Jessie and that Earl came across as both being quiet people. Swenson and Bareilles feel like bigger personalities and both have their charisma. Maybe they weren't homecoming king and queen but something like that. The Earl I saw first seemed like maybe he occasionally played guitar. With his attractiveness and swagger, I could believe that Swenson's Earl might have actually dreamed of a career music and become bitter at not getting what he thought life owed him. I don't think he would have ever been a doctor but he came across as a guy who was relatively smart but never applied himself, instead just choosing to resent everyone for his lack of success. I could also really see how Sara's Jenna fell for him and even in the present, he had moments of trying to charm her. He felt like less of a schlub or screw up and more like a man who didn't really know how to love as she sings. Not quite a sociopath but along that vein of abusive behavior. I also felt the threat of violence more with Swenson. Christopher Fitzgerald continues to be so wonderful in this role. I laughed so hard I started crying. 

I think I might go back later in Sara's run and do standing room. FYI, the view is great from back there. 

• Love 2

http://nypost.com/2017/04/25/broadways-biggest-drama-is-happening-right-now-in-a-courtroom/

This sheds some light on my earlier questions about Rebecca. I guess it really is a Much Ado About Nothing situation. I did have to ask myself at a certain point why, if the show was so good, New York investors weren't interested to step up and take it on. It is a dark gothic tale...it is based on a well-loved movie or story...and it clearly had impressive sets and talented actors involved. I guess the book and score stunk.

Did anybody ever see this in Europe? Or listen to cast recordings?

Thank you, @ElectricBoogaloo! I had seen a couple of previous coronations, but not that one. I've watched the 3 Georges as the Schuyler sisters numerous times and am always up for a re-watch - my very favorite #Ham4Ham! I saw Hamilton in August 2015 with Jonathan Groff as King George III the 2nd; as far as I know, the only person still in the cast from then is Thayne Jasperson. (I didn't see Chris Jackson or Anthony Ramos, who were out that night.) Oh - maybe Neil Haskell is still back, too - he left for Tuck Everlasting and then returned to Hamilton after Tuck closed. And, of course, alternate Hamilton, Javier Muñoz, is still there, now as main Hamilton but has been out a lot due to injury. 

• Love 1

Broadway and West End star Tam Mutu stars as Archibald Craven in The 5th Avenue Theatre's enchanting Broadway-bound revival of The Secret Garden. Mutu joins a phenomenal cast including Tony Award winner Daisy Eagan, Tony Award nominee Josh Young, Lizzie Klemperer, Charlie Franklin and Seán G. Griffin.

ARGHGARGHGARGHGARGH... why can't I see this? They better be serious about the Broadway-bound part. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-Watch-Tam-Mutu-and-Josh-Young-Perform-Lilys-Eyes-From-5th-Avenues-THE-SECRET-GARDEN-20170426

10 hours ago, Babalu said:

Thank you, @ElectricBoogaloo! I had seen a couple of previous coronations, but not that one. I've watched the 3 Georges as the Schuyler sisters numerous times and am always up for a re-watch - my very favorite #Ham4Ham! I saw Hamilton in August 2015 with Jonathan Groff as King George III the 2nd; as far as I know, the only person still in the cast from then is Thayne Jasperson. (I didn't see Chris Jackson or Anthony Ramos, who were out that night.) Oh - maybe Neil Haskell is still back, too - he left for Tuck Everlasting and then returned to Hamilton after Tuck closed. And, of course, alternate Hamilton, Javier Muñoz, is still there, now as main Hamilton but has been out a lot due to injury. 

So jealous that you got to see Groff! Yes, that might be the best Ham4Ham ever - it never gets old. I get to see King George III the 4th in San Francisco in a few weeks.

That's Rory O'Malley, right? I've also heard he's a gem both in real life and in Hamilton. I'm a little jealous of you because I don't know if I'll ever get to see it again!

• Love 1