Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Since there seems like there will be no productions of Next to Normal in the Philadelphia region for the foreseeable future (there was one in Swarthmore College back in December but I decided against going), I'm getting my fix through watching amateur and regional production clips on YouTube. This is a high school production that was honestly pretty darn good:

I'm really impressed considering these are high schoolers.They really seemed to understand these characters- I've seen community theater clips of adults playing these characters and they frankly just didn't seem to get them at all. Not surprisingly, this Gabe went on to play the role again in a summer stock theater called Showboat in Iowa. I honestly hope this kid can go somewhere- he did a great job in my opinion, even if he didn't exactly break new ground in the character.

Edited by methodwriter85

There's a good quality Broadway bootleg on youtube

Right. And in various iterations of the cast, too. (Personally, I really like Brian D'Arcy James as Dan. I LOVED his and Aaron's Off-Broadway "I Am the One"reprise.)

You know you're a little obsessed with the musical if you walk by scaffolding and "I'm Alive" starts playing in your head.

I'm kicking myself because there was a production close to where I live just three years ago but of course, I didn't know about. Now it looks like I probably won't get to see it until we're in the twenties again.

Here's a regional I liked...the Dan was kind of weak, but I loved the Diana:

Edited by methodwriter85

Jesus Christ. Took a chance on a new musical tonight because the ad-copy mentioned "real-life historically- significant entertainers and events from NYC’s Prohibition-era queer culture" and I expected some level of research and competency. Good Lord. It started at 8. Intermission was at 9:40. They let us out at 11:15. This wasn't a reading. This was a fully staged short run with a sizeable cast. That running time was not acceptable for the slight story they were telling. And the lyrics were laughably bad. Moon/June, kiss/bliss, heart/apart bad. And not just once but over and over. This score kept going in circles. It'd be like if you were watching Oklahoma and every ten minutes or so R&H decided they should cycle back to that Oklahoma song everyone liked so much. God, it was repetitive. God bless the performers for getting through that mess. For the most part, they were all tolerable though some of the singing was weak. What story there was seems pointless to critique. There's more bad than good here. But I will say that considering the two shows I was deciding between, I'm disappointed I chose this one. Two performers were African American, one was colorblind casting for a side character. They did cast many African Americans in the ensemble but only to be the ensemble to the point that at times they were the furniture. This wasn't for historical accuracy or anything. There was an MC character that was a weak ripoff of specifically Alan Cumming in Cabaret. I mean, if I listed every issue I had in that 3 hour, 15 minute running time I'd never get to bed tonight. And I need a nap. That was some hot garbage.

• Love 1

Personally, I really like Brian D'Arcy James as Dan. I LOVED his and Aaron's Off-Broadway "I Am the One"reprise.

BDJ was terrific as the husband. When I later saw that someone else had originated the role on Broadway I was like "...ehhhh". He didn't fit the part as well. And honestly, I didn't adore Aaron as the son either. Much preferred his replacement.

Back from another Carnegie Hall NY Pops concert. Short recap. Honestly, I've been a little disappointed with what the Pops have offered this season. First Sierra was clearly sick for that concert and Stephen Pasquale dropped out leaving Julian Ovenden miscast for a lot of the numbers. Then I thought they played kind of poorly for the jazz concert. The Christmas concert was alright but I thought Stephanie J. Block could have tried a little harder. She was kind of a letdown. Then Jeremy Jordan dropped out of this concert and they replaced him with Darren Criss.

Now, personally, I feel like I was right to doubt Darren Criss. He was... not very impressive tonight. But, you know, props to him for stepping in with relatively short notice. I thought a lot of the material seemed chosen to play to his strengths (which are limited). I mean, for a Pops concert there was a lot of the Pops taking a break so Darren could play a smaller arrangement on the piano or guitar. He had his moments. He was decent on The Streets of Dublin, Suddenly Seymour, and Take Me Or Leave Me. It's also possible my expectations were very low by the time the last two came around. But ooph, please no one let him try to sing anything Steven Pasquale has been cast in (yes, they sang from The Bridges of Madison County). But Betsy Wolfe. My God. I don't even have the words right now. She swung for the fences and more often than not she impressed where Criss disappointed. She did not choose an easy program... Not Getting Married Today, Summer in Ohio, Meadowlark, Let It Go, etc. Lots of high belting. And she was almost flawless the entire night. My one issue is she's a little too technically perfect which makes sense when you're doing that much high belting. To sing it in a healthy way you have to sing it in a very particular way and I want her to sing a little lower and a little more grounded and with more depth because when she's allowed to be in that place I sense a really pretty, more interesting voice in there. But still, that is a very small complaint. Oh my God. Come faster, Frozen! Betsy Wolfe must play Elsa. Oh, before I forget... Jason Robert Brown and Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson Lopez were in attendance. The two composers played piano for her on their songs. That says something to me. She must just be so wonderful to work with for them to take the time to do that. When no one was singing, I snuck peeks at the Lopez's. They are very cute theatregoers. Especially her. She bopped along to a lot of the music. I also thought the Pops stepped up their game tonight, as well as choosing music that fits their group better. I mean, it wasn't the most subtle music. In addition to hearing the gorgeous Ragtime, we also got Phantom and Les Mis. But that stuff undeniably sounds good with a lot of instruments. Even if it still feels like being bludgeoned with a sledgehammer. My mind still wandered to Jeremy Jordan a lot and what he would have sung but other than that, it was a great night. Criss wasn't the best singer but he tried his best to be entertaining.

Speaking of the NY Pops, will anyone be in NY on April 8? I have a ticket for the concert I can no longer use because I'm going to be on vacation. I paid around $34 for the dress circle ticket. You can have it for $20. Otherwise, I'll just give it to a friend. PM me if you want it.

I have opinions I want to share on an amateur production of Lucia di Lammermoor, See What I Wanna See, Ruthless, and an opera/cabaret/lab I saw. But I'm tired so for now I'll say I mostly enjoyed all of them.

And all this craziness about BWW and Patti Murin makes me even happier that we've created this space here. :)

• Love 1

BDJ was terrific as the husband. When I later saw that someone else had originated the role on Broadway I was like "...ehhhh". He didn't fit the part as well. And honestly, I didn't adore Aaron as the son either. Much preferred his replacement.

I enjoy all of them, including Curt Hansen's Gabe. (He was the National Tour one.) There's something about his look that is just perfect for Gabe to me, and I loved his version of the hug.

It'd be funny if they did a revival circa the 2020's or 2030's and one of them came back as Dan.

I was planning on seeing DE Theatre Company's Nureyev's Eyes, but it sounds like they switched out the main guy for the final week of the show. So I'm not too sure about that.

Edited by methodwriter85

Saw a matinee of The Robber Bridegroom and an evening performance of Women Without Men. Someone remind me to tell you about them. For now, I'll say the first was a flawed show with good but not particularly remarkable music bolstered by clever direction and a very talented and game cast. Though I will say that a lot of the directing tricks were less effective this soon after The Woodsman (in addition to other shows). In general, both the direction and performances, particularly with the framing device, couldn't shake the feeling of artificiality though when you get past that it's very fun and funny and it's busy in a way that keeps you in the moment. Women Without Men was a play that seemed to have trouble ending. I can't say I really enjoyed it but not because it was bad. It's just not about being satisfying. The end of act 1 leaves you with this tense feeling in your stomach and act 2 piles on more anxiety as you're forced to live with the pettiness and injustice in the characters' lives and the good humor seems to have left the room. I haven't yet decided how I feel about what it has to say about women.

I am listening to the 1993 Broadway cast recording of She Loves Me. I'm at the entr'acte now. This may sound crazy, but I'd kind of like to dreamcast a young Barbra Streisand as Amalia. I noted it in the theatre (it's kind of unavoidable) but it's particularly apparent on this recording for various reasons. This score is very Jewish. It's in the music and it's in the humor. I would love to see it with a cast that would really play up the shtick. Let's put Howard McGillin aside because he just sounds perfect as Kodaly. I was hearing Lee Wilkof and thought oh, Little Shop of Horrors. That's what this needs.

This may sound crazy,.

It does. (But we all have our own points of view, and I have plenty of crazy ones of my own. Wait for 1776 to turn up in a couple of weeks....)

And I've been a Streisand fan for decades, but not on the best day of her life could she have sung this role as written. It's just conceived for a different species of voice. 

Poor Howard McGillin; he was shafted in that revival by having both his solos taken at double tempo. That's where we miss Jack Cassidy of the original cast (and of course the incomparable Don Walker orchestrations, which I already know I won't get in the current revival). 

Edited by Rinaldo

Speaking of revivals, has anyone here seen Fiddler on the Roof yet? Thoughts on it?

I saw it in January. My feelings about it were confused enough that I didn't want to write about it right away.

Really, the short version is that it's an excellent production, and anyone who has never yet seen Fiddler on the Roof can feel free to remedy the lack by seeing it. Danny Burstein is superb in every way. The rest of the cast is very strong, with Adam Kantor and Alexandra Silber special standouts.

But I do miss the Robbins touch, which I've never felt to be missing before (even in high school productions). The little details of pacing and transition matter more than one might think, in building a pace and a world that will draw us in (the hand-changed scenery takes time to assemble, the bare surroundings lack the homey atmosphere that usually launches the story). And the new choreography represents a loss too -- not so much in the major dance numbers ("To Life" still works, and the Bottle Dance has been retained mostly intact) as in the little bits of staging during songs that can give them a lift (the sisters' byplay during "Matchmaker" for instance). And why cast a dancer (Melanie Moore) as Chava and then delete her ballet moments during the "Chavaleh" moment? The overall framework of a present-day Burstein (presumably a descendant of Tevye) revisiting Anatevka and reading from a diary... to me, it doesn't add anything. The universal implications of the story have always been there, and have been commented on for decades.

So for me, among the Bartlett Sher revivals, if South Pacific was an A+ and The King and I an A-, this is more of a good solid B. Still good, but not extraordinary.

I loved [Howard McGillin] as Wilson Mizner in Bounce/Road Show. A terrific singing actor who should get to do more.

I've seen him in Anything Goes, Edwin Drood, Bounce (twice, in Chicago and then DC), and As Thousands Cheer, as well as twice at Encores (Ziegfeld Follies 1936 and Where's Charley?). Excellent every time, acts and sings like a dream. Those abilities were tops in She Loves Me too, but in that one case I found him not ideally cast -- he's really more a Georg than a Kodaly (indeed, that's the casting my friends and I assumed until Boyd Gaines was announced). Still very good of course. It seems sad that so handsome an actor spent crucial years of his career hidden behind the Phantom's mask, when he could have been playing leading-man parts; but of course the parts have to be offered, and actors must make a living.

It seems sad that so handsome an actor spent crucial years of his career hidden behind the Phantom's mask, when he could have been playing leading-man parts; but of course the parts have to be offered, and actors must make a living.

That's funny because the first association my brain goes through when I recognize his voice is Derek from The Swan Princess (another role where his face wasn't seen).

Ah, The Swan Princess! Not really one of the all-time great animations of a fairy tale, is it? :) But it has its moments. When we see the years-long montage of "the prince and princess from neighboring kingdoms, destined for each other by their parents, keep getting introduced once a year," we hear little kids' voices, replaced by older kids' voices, and then finally they turn into Liz Callaway and Howard McGillin, and... bliss. Musical theater heaven.

Ah, The Swan Princess! Not really one of the all-time great animations of a fairy tale, is it? :) 

I was never aware of this before. Having now seen the YouTube of the song you linked to, I think it could pass for a deliberate parody/pastiche of every single number from Beauty and the Beast mashed together. (Some clever lines by Zippel, though.)

Edited by Milburn Stone

Ah, The Swan Princess! Not really one of the all-time great animations of a fairy tale, is it? :)

I did start seeing theatre at a pretty young age but this is where a lot of my love of musical theatre is grounded. Of course there's all the Disney stuff but I also have great affection for Anastasia (Liz Callaway/Ahrens/Flaherty) and Thumbelina (Jodi Benson/Manilow). I agree, The Swan Princess has its moments. Liz Callaway really does have that perfect "princess" sound. Her voice work is lovely but she never got one of those roles that really earned her say that Idina/Elsa level of popularity. She also lent her singing voice to a Lion King sequel and an Aladdin sequel. I know she keeps busy with concerts and teaching but I wish she would do a Broadway show.

So I saw The Book of Mormon at California Musical Theatre in Sacramento today, and I fell in love.  It is going into my list of all time favorite musicals.  Not for everyone, of course.

This being the last Sunday matinee of the production, we got a standin for the role of Elder Price.  Miles Jacoby, who does not have much of a resume:

http://www.playbill.com/person/miles-jacoby-vault-0000125313

His father is actor Billy Jayne and his mother is actress April Wayne.

Elder Cunningham: AJ Holmes, from Team Starkid.  His resume - http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/A.J.-Holmes/

Nabulungi - Alexandra Ncube - http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Alexandra-Ncube/

Elder McKinley - Brian Beach - http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/brian-beach/

• Love 1

I remember seeing the First National Tour cast when it stopped at the Pantages with Gavin Creel as Elder Price and Jared Gertner as Elder Cunningham. I think they both ended going to the West End to reprise their roles. It definitely made a Gavin Creel fan out of me. As for the show, I ended up laughing so much my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. It still makes me smile whenever I listen to the cast album.

I am just home from seeing Bright Star. I know they have a week of previews left and I think it'll be better to see this show knowing very little so I don't want to say too much. I will say that I found it flawed and predictable but there are still some good performances in it and I left feeling great. Entertained and happy and lighter. It's not going to set the world on fire and I have no idea how it will fare with so much competition this season but it's sweet and if you have room in your schedule, give it a chance. I mean, don't pay full price, but give it a chance. I'm curious to see if they're continuing to work on it. I might consider going back.

• Love 1

I saw L'Elisir d'Amore tonight. Vittorio Grigolo was good. I also liked the girl playing Giannetta. Everyone else was serviceable with the girl playing Adina shining in a few moments, mostly in act 2. It just felt like a very long evening. I was a little tired but that doesn't make a difference when it's a great show. I wake right up. I didn't hate the music though this is not going to go on my list on favorite operas. The translation just felt lazy as did the production. I don't know if you would call it direction or blocking or staging or movement/choreography but whatever it was it was lackluster and made the show feel very tedious whenever Vittorio wasn't singing gorgeously. The blocking made no sense to me. And those nonsensical actions were carried through halfheartedly with no real intention. The chorus was super stiff which is fine in other shows when they're say... nuns or something but this was just... no. It came together by the end but I was glad to be out of there and I would have been happier to have been out of there an hour earlier.

aradia22, I know you've been listening to Michael John LaChiusa's music.  His latest composition based on the classic Somerset Maughan short story, Rain is opening tomorrow night, March 24th at The Old Globe in San Diego, CA with performance continuing till May 1, 2016.  If you don't know anything about the story it takes place in 1924 with the setting being a boarding hotel on the Island of Western Samoa, where a missionary, a doctor, and their wives are scandalized by Sadie's arrival particularly when they learn what she does for a living.  But the missionary has secrets of his own, and when he tries to shut down Sadie's business and save her soul, more heats up than the South Pacific sun. 

The cast features many Broadway musical theatre stars:

Marie France Arcilla as Noi Noi (Princess in The Orphan of Zhao at American Conservatory Theatre and the La Jolla Playhouse, co-star on "Gossip Girl," "Law & order: Special Victims Unit," and "Cashmere Mafia");

Elizabeth A Davis as Anna Davidson (Tony Award nominee for Once, Allegro and Caucasian Chalk Circle at Classic Stage Company);

Jeremy Davis as Jo (Broadway's The Last Ship, Annie and Ghost The Musical);

Eden Espinosa as Sadie Thompson who was played in film versions by Gloria Swanson, Joan Crawford and Rita Hayworth;

Betsy Morgan as Louisa MacPhail (LaChiusa's First Daughter Suite, Broadway's Les Miserables and A Little Night Music);

Rusty Ross as Kiwi (Old Globe vet who has appeared in many productions there);

Tally Sessions as Alec MacPhail (Broadway's School of Rock, Big Fish, and The House of Blue Leaves), and

Jared Zirilli as Alfred Davidson, the missionary (Lysistrata Jones on Broadway, We Will Rock You and Wicked's first national tour as well as being a co-star on "Blue Bloods").

Here's a sample of the set that will be used with Eden Espinosa singing one of the songs from the show, "Sunshine"

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Eden-Espinosa-Performs-Sunshine-from-LaChiusas-New-Musical-RAIN-at-The-Old-Globe-20160318

I have tickets for two performances the first on Tuesday, March 29th which will have a Talk Back with the cast and creative team after the show.  I will see it again towards the end of the run on Wednesday, April 20th which will allow me to see what changes have been made.  I will report back with my thoughts after seeing it on the 29th.

Ryan Kaszmerzak (I can't spell it) was on So You Think You Can Dance.

Yeah, I didn't recognize him at first. Man is his enthusiasm infectious! I've watched this like a dozen times already. It's becoming unhealthy LOL! Love how he just jumps into it at the climax there...

Saw The Royale tonight. Really good. Not knock you back fantastic but a good, solid play. One that knows how to build. One that's not too flashy. Maybe I'll write a proper review someday. You know me, you could be waiting a long time. If you have the chance, go see it. It's entertaining. The cast is very good. It's a strong production. It was a worthwhile evening out. For a short play, there was no fat but it said everything it needed to say.

So I bought a season ticket for this summer's Sacramento Music Circus season.

These are the plays being performed:

Legally Blonde

Hello, Dolly!

Seussical

Cabaret

Nice Work if You Can Get It

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (the Disney version)

A couple of questions re. Broadway ticketing.

Having tried and failed to get tickets to Hamilton for December on the day they were released, I was wondering how far in advance you would need to purchase tickets in advance to the average Broadway show. I am going to be in NYC in early December and I am definitely going to see something, though I'm not quite sure what yet.

I'm from Australia and we get very limited runs of most things and super limited choice of productions, we finally got Once last year, which I saw and loved, loved the movie too. I saw Les Mis too, which I also loved. I think I had to get tickets about 3-4 months ahead, for two tickets together in the dress circle.

Book Of Mormon is finally coming next year and tickets are already on sale. I'll be getting some in the coming weeks.

My second question is about concession ticketing. I'm a student and I'll be a student of a US university at the time I'm in New York, DePaul in Chicago if that makes any difference. I am oldef than the average student (in my mid-30s). Am I able to get any sort of concession tickets?

Jac, for the average Broadway show, there's no need to plan too far in advance.  I usually scout the discount sites (Playbill and BroadwayBox) for codes and will buy my tickets anywhere from a couple of weeks to the day of the show.  That's obviously not true for the big hits.  For Book of Mormon, I bought tickets 6 months out.  For Hamilton, 10 months.  I'd check the ticketing sites (usually TicketMaster or Telecharge) and see how availability is.

As far as student discounts, I know most shows have rush tickets that are sold the day of the show.  Some are student rush, some general.  It seems to be an individual show decision.  You'd need to check the show website and see what they offer.  Or maybe Playbill.  I think I've read they have a rush page.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your time here!

Having tried and failed to get tickets to Hamilton for December on the day they were released, I was wondering how far in advance you would need to purchase tickets in advance to the average Broadway show. I am going to be in NYC in early December and I am definitely going to see something, though I'm not quite sure what yet.

Hamilton is an very unusual case. As ebk57 said, you don't have to worry about getting tickets in advance to most shows. The exceptions would be the shows that are always close to sold out (Hamilton, Book of Mormon, Aladdin, Lion King, Wicked, etc.) If you want to keep track of how shows are selling as your December trip approaches your best resources will be TKTS and the Broadway World Grosses. With TKTS you can see which shows are not filling enough of the house so they're offering discounted tickets. With BWW, you can also gauge how well they're selling plus a lot of other info that will help you make your decisions.

There are a few main kinds of special concession tickets apart from just using discount codes open to the general public. You have your student rushes, your general rushes, your age specific rushes, and your lotteries. Most shows offer a general rush or an under 30 or 35 rush. You show up when the box office opens (or usually before) and purchase a ticket. Many of the lotteries are now digital and involve signing up for a website or app. This is riskier but you generally sign up in the morning and find out a few hours before the show if you've won. There is also the option of standing room tickets but shows have to be sold out or close to sold out (depending on how lenient the box office is) for you to get these. It's not always a perfect resource but I find this site helps keep everything straight.

Does anyone else hate the whole shift to apps? There's something nice about physically being there and waiting in a line for a chance at a ticket. When its an app, people can just go about their lives and not really put any effort into it. Obviously, this is good for some people who can't easily stand around (the elderly or handicapped or the single parents out there) but still...I wish it were still the case that those that stood in line patiently could stand a chance of being rewarded for it.

Jac, I hope your trip is awesome. Definitely try to get tickets for Hamilton ahead of time if you can but be stay flexible. You never know what kind of deals you can find (people selling tickets on CraigList or on street corners or at the box office) and what might change (a show closing, something better being announced a week before your departure for date that conflicts with tickets you already have, etc).

Does anyone else hate the whole shift to apps? There's something nice about physically being there and waiting in a line for a chance at a ticket. When its an app, people can just go about their lives and not really put any effort into it. Obviously, this is good for some people who can't easily stand around (the elderly or handicapped or the single parents out there) but still...I wish it were still the case that those that stood in line patiently could stand a chance of being rewarded for it.

Jac, I hope your trip is awesome. Definitely try to get tickets for Hamilton ahead of time if you can but be stay flexible. You never know what kind of deals you can find (people selling tickets on CraigList or on street corners or at the box office) and what might change (a show closing, something better being announced a week before your departure for date that conflicts with tickets you already have, etc).

Please please please don't buy tickets from CraigsList or on street corners!  Most of those tickets (at least to the sold out shows - especially Hamilton) are fakes.  And you have no way to get your money back.  At least if you buy resale tickets through TicketMaster or StubHub, you won't lose your money, even if the tickets are fake.

Is it really true that licensed productions of West Side Story are not allowed to make the notable song switches that the movie made? (Officer Krupke and Cool, for one.) If that's true, that is immensely stupid, but I found some comment on Youtube about that and wanted to see if it was true. (I've only seen my high school production of the musical, so I don't have any real comparison shop to make here.)

Edited by methodwriter85

Is it really true that licensed productions of West Side Story are not allowed to make the notable song switches that the movie made? (Officer Krupke and Cool, for one.) If that's true, that is immensely stupid...

I'm kind of glad if it's true. I'll confess that the only stage production of WSS I've ever seen was in summer stock, at Painters Mill Music Fair outside Baltimore in the early sixties. Nevertheless, I'll put my money on what Bernstein/Sondheim/Laurents created over what Robert Wise, Saul Chaplin and Ernest Lehman thought they had to change.

A pet loathing of mine (it's bigger than a pet peeve) is licensing stage productions to conform to the movie versions, just because the movie versions are more familiar to people. The songs Rodgers added to the movie Sound of Music ("I Have Confidence" and "Something Good") are awful, and the songs the movie dropped ("No Way to Stop It" and "How Can Love Survive") are essential parts of the original score. ("Survive," in particular, contains some of Hammerstein's funniest work, showing he could be just as Lorenz Hart-y as Lorenz Hart at his most acerbic.) 

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

I'm kind of glad if it's true. I'll confess that the only stage production of WSS I've ever seen was in summer stock, at Painters Mill Music Fair outside Baltimore in the early sixties. Nevertheless, I'll put my money on what Bernstein/Sondheim/Laurents created over what Robert Wise, Saul Chaplin and Ernest Lehman thought they had to change.

I agree. These are pretty competent writers after all -- about the best ever, in fact -- and they chose the order they did for good reasons. The film medium is different, and maybe other choices are valid given the different circumstances of seeing a film; but they should not be back-translated into stage productions.

In fact, any performing license to do a stage production of anything involves a signed agreement not to make such alterations. It always amazes me that performing organizations agree to that, and then think "Oh, it doesn't apply to me!" and start mucking around with the show to make it "more like the movie." I despise that. It's both unethical and dishonorable. I'm just sure that some stage production of Into the Woods is trying to do that right now, and I hope they get in trouble for it.

• Love 2

I read Joel Grey's memoir.  He's very honest about his personal life, and I thought the telling of his early days read like an old Hollywood backstager, how he went from working in a regional theater as a kid, to vaudeville in its last gasps, nightclubs, TV and movies.  (Of course such a movie would never frankly look at homosexuality.) It takes half the book to get him cast in Cabaret, and the recountings of the stage and movie versions are also very interesting. Then the second half of the book covers a lot more years than the first and with considerably less detail.  But overall I thought the book was worth reading. 

(edited)

So, I think I've said that I turned off the cable when the kid was four and she grew up watching old movies on DVD?

All of which is to say that she's coming home from college this weekend and the beleaguered husband is taking her and her best friend to the Encores production of (I'm sorry, Rinaldo) 1776 with John Laroquette as Franklin. She's always had a bit of a crush on John Adams.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2