Type keyword(s) to search

The Zoo: San Diego - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They just had an advertising block on the corner of the screen saying "The Zoo: San Diego" new episodes on Discovery + only.      I'm hoping that they're just going to premiere the episodes on D+, but rerun on Animal Planet.     However, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 2/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, DanaK said:

It looks like those first 2 episodes for Season 2 are on both Discovery+ and the linear channel (I forget if that's Animal Planet or Nat Geo Wild)

It appears my DVR/local listings mislabeled those episodes on AP and were basically repeats as far as I can tell

I'm a sucker for baby animals so this was another great episode for me! I also really liked seeing the efforts to help the koalas in Australia during the fires.

I know warthogs aren't traditionally cute but these three had a lot of personality so they were fun to watch.

And fuzzy kitties!

(edited)

Watched episode 1 and part of episode 2 of Season 2 so far. I too am a sucker for baby animals, the cuter the better (though maybe not reptiles). Baby hippos are much cuter than the adults. I kept thinking that koala was a kangeroo. I guess I've never seen a koala that young before; I suppose they tend to stay in the pouch out of sight until they are older. Those baby elephants in Africa were so cute, though I'm not sure I would want one charging me to get its bottle

@CrazyInAlabama I suspect moving shows over to the streaming platform from the linear channel(s) and no longer playing on the linear channel is the new way of doing business. Sad for a lot of people who aren't ready for streaming or don't want to get another streaming account. At least Discovery+ seems to be the streaming home for a lot of Discovery's linear channels plus some others I guess; consolidation helps I guess

Edited by DanaK
(edited)

Great Apes at San Diego Zoo Receive Experimental COVID Vaccine

And here is an article about it..

Several great apes at the San Diego Zoo have been vaccinated against Covid-19 a few weeks after the zoo's gorillas tested positive for the virus.  Vaccinations began in January and have continued up to this month, and the animals received their second dose after three weeks.  In January, eight of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park's gorillas caught the virus, though their symptoms were mild and limited to coughing, congestion and fatigue. The troop has since fully recovered.

Most coronavirus cases among animals have occurred in domestic pets like dogs and cats, but animals in zoos have been diagnosed, too, likely after contact with infected zookeepers.

Edited by RealityCheck

S2.E6: Baby Wallaby Debut

When lesser flamingo eggs and chicks are being preyed upon, the team makes a nerve-wracking decision; Wallaby Thelma and her joey Everest become ambassador animals; a new perch is created for Stuart, the young fishing cat.

Original air date: 3/13/21

@ElectricBoogaloo We've seen dogs paired with cheetahs a few times before in these Zoo programs. It amazes me that they thought of that to calm the cats down. It certainly wouldn't likely work with lions or panthers, but it does with cheetahs

Anyone know if there are only 6 episodes for the second season?

I found I could get 50% off or around there for my first year of Discovery+ and went for it. I like how it looks on my 40" TV. Thank goodness for its availability on Roku

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

S2.E7: Koala Boys

Original air date: 3/20/21

That baby rhino was so cute and feisty. I’d be very nervous to be around an adult tiger, especially while messing with his tail

• Love 1

S2.E8: Dining with Meerkats

The staff hopes for a mating match between the black rhino newcomers, Kendi and Aria; the zoo cares for an abandoned beaded lizard found in a local yard; the meerkat mob are put on a new furry diet.

Original air date: 3/27/21

On 8/4/2021 at 7:12 AM, DanaK said:

Looks like the new season premieres Saturday, August 14 at 8pm ET on Animal Planet (the linear channel). They are showing a 1 minute preview at various times

I was thinking I had seen the episode titles of Season 2 before and it turns out that this was the Season 2 that premiered on Discovery+ back in February. So this will be the linear channel debut of Season 2

• Love 1

Thank heavens, new episodes are now on Animal Planet.  I refuse to add yet another streaming service, that has really gotten out of hand.  The baby elephants at Reteti are beyone adorable but have such sad stories.  The dedication of the keepers is admirable.

Most adorable this episode are the tree kangaroos and the leopard cubs. 

You really have to feel for those koalas and the disruptions those Australian fires caused. Kudos to the teams who worked together to help them, though I’m not sure koalas will survive over the next couple of decades with how things are going for them

40 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Most adorable things from this past Saturday's episode has to be the Wallabies, especially the albino baby, plus the baby Sloth

Absolutely.  I have never seen a baby sloth before so this was really special.  And not sure how long an albino would last in the wild especially where it is hot and sunny so that was a lucky baby to be born there.  He will be well cared for.

9 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Absolutely.  I have never seen a baby sloth before so this was really special.  And not sure how long an albino would last in the wild especially where it is hot and sunny so that was a lucky baby to be born there.  He will be well cared for.

I watch a lot of these Zoo programs, so I have seen a baby Sloth on them a few times. Sloths in general are kind of cute in their general weirdness, but those claws that they hang with give me pause.

I already watched this season via Discovery+, but I find I'm enjoying watching it again on TV

1 minute ago, DanaK said:

I already watched this season via Discovery+, but I find I'm enjoying watching it again on TV

I refuse to pay for yet another streaming service so I am glad that they decided to show it on cable.  Can't afford all of the add-ons!

Sloths are definitely one weird conglomeration of parts.

So nice to see not one but two new episodes.  That baby 'roo is adorable.  And the lynx kits were so darned cute as well!

Oops. wrong zoo!  Heading over to the Bronx!

Edited by Cetacean
On 10/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, Cetacean said:

So nice to see not one but two new episodes.  That baby 'roo is adorable.  And the lynx kits were so darned cute as well!

Oops. wrong zoo!  Heading over to the Bronx!

I'm confused -- weren't the cubs pumas?

Why do most of the women on the American zoo shows speak to the viewers in a high pitched vocal fry baby voice as though we were all kindergarten field trippers?  I understand speaking to the animals this way, as most animals I have found feel safer with high pitched baby talk voices, less threatening. But we are not five nor are we zoo animals. Yet the baby voices continue. The British zoo women don't seem to feel the need to speak to the audience like this. They are adult women and talk like it. It just is becoming like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Why do most of the women on the American zoo shows speak to the viewers in a high pitched vocal fry baby voice as though we were all kindergarten field trippers? 

I wonder if it's a California thing.  They don't talk like that at the Bronx zoo when speaking to the audience.  Although Kathleen has a weird voice but I think that's just her.