Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Blah Blah Blah

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favorite X topics

...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I don’t watch many straight-up comedies, and I don’t think I’ve really enjoyed the mockumentary style since the first few seasons of The Office.

But I love this show and I’ve already rewatched it many times. The cast is fabulous. 

Otherwise you’ll mostly find me being snarky about quasi-prestige dramas.

*waves*

• Love 3

The company I work for was acquired by a ginormous company earlier this year.  The new company's culture involves, apparently, having as many meetings and conference calls on every matter as humanly possible.  I was doing my daily bitching about this text to one of my friends, who pointed out it was like being trapped with Colin. DING DING!!  I am now working with/for thousands of Colin Robinsons.  It is a den of emotional vampires.  It all makes sense now!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 7/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, TexasGal said:

I am now working with/for thousands of Colin Robinsons.  It is a den of emotional vampires.  It all makes sense now!

I've worked in corporate for many years.  There's a LOT of Colin Robinsons out there. 

• Love 2

I saw "Jojo Rabbit" yesterday. It's good, but it wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's been promoted as sort of a Mel Brooks-esque zany Hitler comedy, but the comedic surface of the film not only doesn't run very deep but it often fades away almost entirely. It's a very nuanced character drama, and while it does have some things to say about propaganda it's actually more of an anti-war film than an anti-propaganda film. If you go into expecting it to simply be strange and thought-provoking rather than non-stop hilarious then it's a good movie. Me, I spent about twenty minutes of the earlyish part getting my brain to adjust. It's a very slow-burner of a plot, but it does keep getting there, and I found myself realizing all day long afterwards various subtle things about secondary characters. And not only are there a few twists that I did not see coming, but there are also some things that I sort of took for granted would happen, but didn't. Because it's a movie about what regular people can do, not what similar characters in a superficially similar Hollywood version would do.

It certainly isn't going to be a huge money maker. There were six people in the theater including me. But, to be honest, I think Taika mostly made the movie because he wanted an excuse to dress up as Dorky Hitler.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm almost done with my "Community" rewatch, which means earlier this week I saw the episode in which Matt Berry plays a grifter.

Then the next day I saw the new Borat movie, and, let's face it, Nandor does have a little bit of Borat in his delivery. And the main theme of its plot is Borat getting to know his daughter, and the actress playing her does have a very Nadja-like delivery.

So that's three out of five right there. Now I just need to randomly fall into something with a Guillermic and/or Colin Robinsonian protaganist and I'll be good until whenever S3 happens.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

All I know is I'm going to be really frustrated at work this weekend, because every time I see a witch hat I'm going to want to say something about semen and magnets, which would go over about as well as a party without a superb owl.

Eh, these are weird times. I suggest you scream about semen stealing at every witch hat you see. We can do a gofundme if you need bail money. 

• LOL 2

OK, well, as long as we're talking about everything I want... you know those people who keep going into stores without masks, and then realizing it, and then trying to cover up their goof by pulling their shirt collar up over their face like a Fat Albert sidekick? How much more fun would it be if this weekend they all just wear Dracula capes, and hold one corner over their faces with one hand whenever the situation calls for cover? Bonus points if they actually say "Blah! Blah!" while they're doing it. In fact, if anybody does that, I demand that you give them candy whether they were expecting it or not. And just to be fair, you should probably also give candy to the guys accidentally dressed as Fat Albert extras.

• LOL 3

To make the election coverage this week slightly less torturous, every time they talk about the polls in Arizona I put on my best Jackie Daytona voice and tell the tv, "this is how we talk in Tucson, Arizon-ya." He's just a regular Yankee Doodle Dandee, after all.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This year everyone has been enjoying the antics with the djinn and the wishes.  That made me wonder, has everyone seen the trailer for "Three Thousand Years of Longing?"

I can't say whether it will be good, but Idris Elba playing a djinn to Tilda Swinton in a movie directed by George Miller should at least be interesting.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, MisterGlass said:

This year everyone has been enjoying the antics with the djinn and the wishes.  That made me wonder, has everyone seen the trailer for "Three Thousand Years of Longing?"

I can't say whether it will be good, but Idris Elba playing a djinn to Tilda Swinton in a movie directed by George Miller should at least be interesting.

It was visually quite beautiful.  Worth seeing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1