Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: A Team on Trial

• Start Topic

Airs July 16, 2019

With a losing streak weighing heavily upon the team's shoulders, fighting between the girls puts the group dance in jeopardy; Abby gives a mini her big shot at joining the team; a duet with GiaNina and Elliana leads to all-out war between two moms.

The show clearly wants a Maddie vs. Chloe esque rivalry with Elliana and Lilliana. As crazy as Melissa and Kristi were, they were never quite Yolanda v. Stacey crazy. Still Yolanda makes me want to root against her kid; as illogical as I know that is, so I guess I'm Team Lilly.

I was disappointed that the show made Kamryn seem like she was the 1st Place solo winner. Upon further investigation, Kam was in the Novice division---which is the only way to explain how she won with those feet. I know she's 7, but she has no technique...none.

I also wanted them to show off both solo's---Gia/Eli got 2nd to Pressley/Lilly who got 1st. I thought the Blue Bloods solo was boring. 

• Love 2

That was Shakespearean.  A comedy and a drama.  Bringing the kids' dark perspectives into it, with their complex and ever-shifting loyalties to one another, was the shot in the arm this show needed.  This was the best episode, maybe...ever?  Abby and the moms have nothing on the kids.

I know everyone is going to blame the moms, but does anyone see Sarah as a bit of a villain?  Playing the doe-eyed innocent, then physically moving GiaNina out of the way so that she could talk to the moms and chastise Yolanda, and then being pushy as hell about the duet.  My husband thought she was going to shove Elliana off the stage and do the duet herself.  Black Swan, anyone?

That Mary Lou Retton wig is getting one hell of a good run.

One of my most favorite parts of this show, besides pyramid (brilliant in how arbitrary it is) is hearing Abby describe the dances to the kids.  It's hilarious how inaccurate and esoteric her references are.  Yes Abby, Judge Judy handles criminal matters, not small claims.  Never change.

Yolanda's show trial was everything.  I think it's fabulous that Abby finds humor in the justice system, given how easily she could have become jaded about it.

• Love 2

That wig and the Tina Turner wig were just awful.

Abby’s still a nightmare.

My husband was in the room when I was watching and I told him that this is the one show I’m embarrassed to have him know I watch it (and I watch all the Real Housewives, Bachelorette, etc.)

• LOL 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I know everyone is going to blame the moms, but does anyone see Sarah as a bit of a villain?  Playing the doe-eyed innocent, then physically moving GiaNina out of the way so that she could talk to the moms and chastise Yolanda, and then being pushy as hell about the duet.  My husband thought she was going to shove Elliana off the stage and do the duet herself.  Black Swan, anyone?

I think Sarah is very entitled and does come off as a mean girl. I also think, beyond V v S who we already know are crazy, that Sarah's mom is the craziest out of the new moms. She reminds me of Jill. 

Picture was a screen grab during the Eli/Gia solo. 

sarah.JPG

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • LOL 4
15 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

The show clearly wants a Maddie vs. Chloe esque rivalry with Elliana and Lilliana. As crazy as Melissa and Kristi were, they were never quite Yolanda v. Stacey crazy. Still Yolanda makes me want to root against her kid; as illogical as I know that is, so I guess I'm Team Lilly.

I was disappointed that the show made Kamryn seem like she was the 1st Place solo winner. Upon further investigation, Kam was in the Novice division---which is the only way to explain how she won with those feet. I know she's 7, but she has no technique...none.

I also wanted them to show off both solo's---Gia/Eli got 2nd to Pressley/Lilly who got 1st. I thought the Blue Bloods solo was boring. 

Thank you! Kamryn is a cute kid with nice flexibility and a few tricks. Those feet, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

Have to say I was pretty surprised when Kamryn started to dance.  I can't say I've ever seen these producers cast a dancer quite so lacking in proficiency before.

ETA  It feels awful to say that about a seven year old.  It's not that she has no potential, because I'm quite sure she could train and become a spectacular dancer.  She's simply much more raw clay than expected.

Edited by Tikichick
Forgotten thought.
  • Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I know everyone is going to blame the moms, but does anyone see Sarah as a bit of a villain?  Playing the doe-eyed innocent, then physically moving GiaNina out of the way so that she could talk to the moms and chastise Yolanda, and then being pushy as hell about the duet.

I didn't actually notice her physically moving GiaNina, so I won't comment as to that, but otherwise, she just said what Abby said.  I thought it was ridiculous for Yolanda to tell her to go back and tell Abby blah blah blah.  Yeah, no, Yolanda, that's not happening.  And, I think it's good that she went after the duo.  If Elli can't be at rehearsal, for whatever reason, it's not fair to give her the dances.  It's not like she was campaigning for the part of Rosa Parks:)

• Love 2

^^^

Yeah, when the kids ran up to the stairs to deliver some message from Abby, Sarah just picked GiaNina up and moved her 90 degrees to the side--hilarious.  I like that these kids have feisty personalities--a villian is kind of a cool thing.  If Sarah wants that solo--get it girl! (Although it's my opinion that the kids should be awarded more on talent than merit, so if Elliana missed practice, but was able to perform better than Sarah--and that is a big if--I think she probably should have gotten to dance).

I think Abby likes that spark in the kids too.  I also think GiaNina is a very aggressive kid, and it works for me.  More plotting, fewer tears! The kids in the past were too milquetoast (or at least that's all we were shown).  Kendall, anyone?

Speaking of Kendall...I know this is awkward, but you don't think she was the best candidate to play Rosa Parks?!? Well, I'll be... 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

peaking of Kendall...I know this is awkward, but you don't think she was the best candidate to play Rosa Parks?!? Well, I'll be...

I like to assume for the sake of viewing that everything on the show is real.  But, Jill campaigning for Kendall to play Rosa Parks is one of the things that I just can't.  That was clearly a set up because nobody is that much of a moron.  Not even Jill.  

• Love 2

I don't get why Ellianna gets a pass on being on practice. Her moms says she can't be there during school hours but isn't she homeschooled?  If she then why can't her schedule be changed around?  The other girls manage to do it. 

33 minutes ago, Anlogle said:

I don't get why Ellianna gets a pass on being on practice. Her moms says she can't be there during school hours but isn't she homeschooled?  If she then why can't her schedule be changed around?  The other girls manage to do it. 

The first episode, Yolanda said that she didn't have enough hours in.  I'm thinking this might be a case where she (Yolanda) was blowing off Elli's schooling and the state got involved.

• Love 3

But she is home schooled so she could do her schooling at night and/or early in the morning. The whole point of them all doing  homeschooling is so they work around the dance schedule. Everyone else does it and so should Ellieanna.

Point to never forget:  reality show = lies for drama.  

The law requires rather minimal education hours during filming.

Minors aged nine years to 16 years when school is in session may be at the place of employment for up to nine hours, the sum of five hours work, three hours schooling, and one hour of rest and recreation. When school is not in session, work time may be increased up to seven hours, with one hour of rest and recreation [8 CCR 11760].

23 hours ago, Anlogle said:

They have to adhere to child labor laws. California laws are much more Hollywood friendly, PA is much more strict. 

The Pennsylvania law was modeled on the California law.  The school hours are the same on each - 3 hours per day when school is in session.  As I said, drama (lies) solely for show purposes.

• Love 2