Type keyword(s) to search

Regina, the Evil Queen: The Only Happy Ending Will Be Hers

• Start Topic

What bothers me most, as mentioned by many above, is that the Regina character has no coherent journey.  It is back and forth and flip-flops of gigantic proportions, and it's the whiplash that I hate, and it ruins the character.  

Towards the end of 3B, we were all wondering after Regina had broken a curse with a true love kiss, accessed the White Magic that she apparently had, and nobly refused to kill Zelena, where else was left for the character to go?  Well, apparently, the next step was to have her plotting to go back in time to murder an innocent woman she victimized?  Really?

Regina may have tried really hard to change her actions yes, but that was not coupled with self-awareness, and without that, she just seems delusional, erratic, and it puts the writers' assertions that she truly loves Henry beyond all else into doubt.  It is impossible to see her as anything but a wolf in sheep's clothing every time they do a dramatic reversal like this. 

Look at her lines which A&E wrote for her in the season premiere.  "I'm always the villain, even when I'm not."  And "The stories only see me one way."  That is not someone who has even taken Step 1 on the road to redemption, and yet she had already skipped to Step 15 and now she's back at Step 0.2.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 8

What bothers me most, as mentioned by many above, is that the Regina character has no coherent journey.  It is back and forth and flip-flops of gigantic proportions, and it's the whiplash that I hate, and it ruins the character.

It's not only that, but it's the fact it affects the whole show. When she goes bad, the entire show feels the tremors. When she goes good, the show steers another way. The characters change (like Emma just did in 4x01), but also the screentime balance. It puts everyone else aside in order to deal whatever the latest "calamity" is with her. The entire story is turned on its head because she lost a boyfriend.

If Regina is scheming and everyone just goes "Oh great, here we go again", then that could foster in some entertainment or even comedy value. In addition to whatever the Big Bad is concocting, Regina's side quest would be an annoyance. 4x01 might have tried to echo that kind of thought, but the characters were freaking out too much about it. They wanted to stop all that was going on because Regina was throwing an open house pity party. The earth shouldn't stop revolving because of one character, no matter who it is.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7

If it is a perception issue, it might work better if the directors had Parilla pull back her performance some, and aimed for a Regina that looked more conflicted, and less excited and enthuasiastic.

Lana is a very over-the-top actress. You give her an inch, she goes a mile. This makes the character she's playing very passionate about whatever it is she's feeling. Lana is spectacular as the Evil Queen, and it's very apparent she adores playing the role. Regina's emotions are always extreme, whether sad, angry or happy. With all this in mind, it's like trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

A flip-flopping grey character stifles where Regina shines the most. It's asking her to be something she's not. Whatever she does, it's always played to the balcony. It's almost never neutral or in the background. If they let her be entertaining by being the Evil Queen without being so wishy-washy, then watching her scenes wouldn't be such a pain all the time. That's just my opinion, though.

I thought her larger than life Mayor Mills persona in S1 was when she was at her best. Watching her cry over boyfriends or sitting on the fence about being good is far less exciting. I've never been more bored with her than I was in 4x01.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7
I thought her larger than life Mayor Mills persona in S1 was when she was at her best.

Absolutely agreed. Parrilla knocked raging uberbitch, and secretly really evil and homicidal, Mayor Mills out of the freaking park. But it's all been downhill since then. And I think your point about asking Regina to be a flip-flopping gray character stifling what she does best, and asking her to be something she's not, is really well put. That kind of grayness works (can sometimes work, at least) for Rumpel, but Regina is fundamentally a different kind of character, and it doesn't suit her (nor does it play to Parrilla's strengths).

Watching her cry over boyfriends or sitting on the fence about being good is far less exciting. I've never been more bored with her than I was in 4x01.

I just can't stop thinking that S1 Regina would be so appalled by what she's been reduced to. Whatever else she did or did not do, S1 Regina did not whine and indulge in this amount of self-pity! (And she certainly didn't sob her heart out over a bland, boring guy she's been dating for 48 hours.)

• Love 5

Absolutely agreed. Parrilla knocked raging uberbitch, and secretly really evil and homicidal, Mayor Mills out of the freaking park. But it's all been downhill since then. And I think your point about asking Regina to be a flip-flopping gray character stifling what she does best, and asking her to be something she's not, is really well put. That kind of grayness works (can sometimes work, at least) for Rumpel, but Regina is fundamentally a different kind of character, and it doesn't suit her (nor does it play to Parrilla's strengths).

Which brings us back to something that's been mentioned before--since that is when the Regina character works, and what seems to be Ms. Parilla's strength--why not have Regina pretend to be reformed, while secretly evilly plotting.  She could have her restrained Mayor Mills persona that she whips out with the people she's trying to be friends with or fool--like the Charmings, Emma, and Marian--while pulling out the Evil Eyes when she's plotting with Sidney.

As long as the show quits trying to pretend that her reform is authentic, and occasionally has a nonvillified-for--it character realize it, it could work.

Is it possible they're going for that?

• Love 1

I just can't stop thinking that S1 Regina would be so appalled by what she's been reduced to. Whatever else she did or did not do, S1 Regina did not whine and indulge in this amount of self-pity!

S1 Regina would have started working on an "accident" for Marian immediately. She wouldn't be sitting behind the door like a little girl, sobbing her troubles away. She'd find a way to get rid of the problem, then make sure no one else suspected anything. I miss when she was more of a mastermind who set the board.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6

I did like Regina's conversation with Tinkerbell in the cave. I also loved Regina taking out her heart and offering it to Tinkerbell.. I thought their interactions were very interesting.

Oh I so miss Tinkerbell.   She was the perfect pal for Regina.   Not the least because Snow White made her want to vomit as well. 

Regina has moments of clarity but she can and frequently does get caught up in her own outlook/problems which I think makes her a VERY relatable character.    Charming, Snow and Emma to a degree consistently think of others and how their actions and wants will effect everyone under the sun, it's commendable and boring as all hell.

I don't mind Regina doing something nice for Snow (grudgingly) or working with the Charmings but I hope she never loses the ingrained disdain she holds for them as well.

Even when Regina is wrong I'm still on her side.   Can't help it Lana just completely won me over through the course of the show.   I'm rooting for Regina to have a happy ending more than any other character.

• Love 1

It's not only that, but it's the fact it affects the whole show. When she goes bad, the entire show feels the tremors. When she goes good, the show steers another way.

This is actuality the entirety of the problem with the show.  They want to play off Regina's I'm always the villain, even when I'm not."  and "The stories only see me one way." but no characters treat her that way.  If the Charmings never gave her any credit for a good deed.  If Robin had blamed her for trying to execute his wife rather than forgive the person she used to be.  If Marian didn't recognize that Regina could have let her die with Robin none the wiser. If.. If... If...  Then it would make more sense when Regina backslides and leave a little bit of sympathy for her.

• Love 4

Oh I so miss Tinkerbell.   She was the perfect pal for Regina.   Not the least because Snow White made her want to vomit as well. 

Regina has moments of clarity but she can and frequently does get caught up in her own outlook/problems which I think makes her a VERY relatable character.    Charming, Snow and Emma to a degree consistently think of others and how their actions and wants will effect everyone under the sun, it's commendable and boring as all hell.

I don't mind Regina doing something nice for Snow (grudgingly) or working with the Charmings but I hope she never loses the ingrained disdain she holds for them as well.

Even when Regina is wrong I'm still on her side.   Can't help it Lana just completely won me over through the course of the show.   I'm rooting for Regina to have a happy ending more than any other character.

Tinkerbell and Regina were fun to watch. It was nice to see someone genuinely interested in a friendship with Regina. I loved when Tinkerbell met Robin and started talking too much, Regina elbowed her. I thought it was a cute moment between the friends.

Totally agree with you about the Charmings. I keep hoping Regina would keep a safe distance from them, because they always find a way to ruin her life.

What did you think of Zelena and her connection to Regina? Did you like how that storyline was resolved?

Regina has moments of clarity but she can and frequently does get caught up in her own outlook/problems which I think makes her a VERY relatable character.

Not when those moments of clarity don't stick, or generally come all too rarely. There's no way to relate to that.

Charming, Snow and Emma to a degree consistently think of others and how their actions and wants will effect everyone under the sun, it's commendable and boring as all hell.

How is it any less boring to watch someone do the opposite over and over, though?

I do agree with this...BUT it should be a two-way street. If Regina can remain disdainful toward them, then they should be allowed to be disdainful toward her for all the crap she's put them through, instead of coddling her and singing her praises.

Even when Regina is wrong I'm still on her side. Can't help it Lana just completely won me over through the course of the show. I'm rooting for Regina to have a happy ending more than any other character.

Robert Carlyle won me over, it doesn't mean I think Rumple deserves a happy ending.

Totally agree with you about the Charmings. I keep hoping Regina would keep a safe distance from them, because they always find a way to ruin her life.

Other. Way. Around.

Seriously, Regina ruins her own life. She only blames the Charmings because she's too much of a psychotic womanchild to take responsibility for her own choices.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 9

Other. Way. Around.

Seriously, Regina ruins her own life. She only blames the Charmings because she's too much of a psychotic womanchild to take responsibility for her own choices

The Charmings may pretend to be  "heroes" but they are far from blameless. How did Regina choose to have Daniel killed? How did Regina choose to kill her mother?

How did Snow choose to have Daniel killed, though? That's 110% on Cora.

And speaking of Cora (and Regina): maybe if Cora (and Regina) hadn't been attacking Snow and her family with lethal intent, Snow wouldn't have had to kill Cora to defend herself and her loved ones. Hell, Snow went to Regina before the battle and said "Switch sides, we don't need any more warfare." Maybe if Regina had listened, Cora would still be alive. Heck, seems to me it's Regina's fault Cora died, in fact! If she'd worked with the Charmings on subduing Cora instead of trying to murder them along with Cora, Cora might still be alive.

• Love 5
How did Regina choose to kill her mother?

Regina chooses to kill her mother by arranging for Hook to assassinate her and enchants his Hook so he can take out her heart. After she is tricked into believing her mother is dead, she murders her father herself by taking out his heart.

• Love 8

Someone in the other thread mentioned that Parrilla doesn't do "subtle," well and because of that Regina should be over the top evil. I disagree, as I think Parrilla and Regina were at their best in S1 where, while we knew she was the villain she also maintained that facade of "Single Working Mother Just Trying to Keep a Community Together as a Public Servant" and she actually showed some wistfullness that made us wonder if she could indeed change (I loved the first few episodes where we didnt know if Regina remembered who she was, as Parrilla played it so well.)  I think Parrilla is at her best when then tone her very firm butt down. Since S2 she has been so over the top as has the show been that it kind of ruins the fun (especially since we have flashback EQ to chew up the scenery.)

I do like it that Regina is annoyed with the Charmings, but I like that she kind of has respect/jealousy of Emma, and that Emma kind of sees Regina as what could have happened to her if she chose the dark side.  I think the main thing is that Regina needs someone like Tink who actually likes her but gives her a kick in the ass once in a while.

• Love 2

I think Parrilla is at her best when then tone her very firm butt down. Since S2 she has been so over the top as has the show been that it kind of ruins the fun (especially since we have flashback EQ to chew up the scenery.)

Yeah, this is why I think the directing (and potentially Adam and Eddie's "vision") is as much to blame sometimes as Parrilla. I don't always like the acting choices she makes, but at the same time, someone should be telling her to rein it in a bit (slash Adam and Eddie need to realize that *Regina the character* needs to be reined in sometimes). I do also think the point about the contrast between "Mayor Mills" and "Evil Queen" disappearing is good. For my money, "Mayor Mills" was where Parrilla shone, and taking that away has helped neither her not the character.
  • Love 3

Mayor Mills was freaking awesome. I hope S4 brings that persona back at least partially. I like the idea of her pretending to be redeemed around the Charmings, then scheme with Sidney in the back room. That echoes Mayor Mills in a fresh new way. However, after rewatching 4x01 a couple times, I don't know if we'll be getting that or not.

Hey Favfable

Please tell me you saw "A Tale of Two Sisters". What did you think?

It was kind of a joke, too much Frozen. I did like Regina and Robin's scenes. I love how clear he was about his feelings. It made perfect sense. He made the right choice.

Oh and I did like how they highlighted how useless Emma and Hook were in the forest. That never gets old.  :)  I loved it when Regina had to step in and save everybody. Glad she didn't wait around for any thanks, because that group was incapable of providing one.

On a side note, did you see the comments People Magazine had about ONCE, about Regina specifically?

Edited by FavFable

Mayor Mills was freaking awesome. I hope S4 brings that persona back at least partially. I like the idea of her pretending to be redeemed around the Charmings, then scheme with Sidney in the back room. That echoes Mayor Mills in a fresh new way. However, after rewatching 4x01 a couple times, I don't know if we'll be getting that or not.

Personally, it could salvage some of the massive amounts of Regina screen time for me if this were to happen.

I could buy a Regina who's decided she loves being Henry's mother, and occasionally enjoys family time with Emma and the Charmings, but doesn't want to give up her schemes.  Like you said, it would be a fresh take on the Mayor Mills/Evil Queen thing, and would allow Parilla to shine in the more restrained Mayor Mills role.  It would also open the door to possibilities to new wacky hijinks and the occasional character figuring it out, only to be zapped by Sidney or Regina.

But, since it makes sense and doesn't give Regina an undeserved halo, it's most likely not going to happen.  If it happens, I will consider writing bad poetry in Regina's honor. 

• Love 5

Regina chooses to kill her mother by arranging for Hook to assassinate her and enchants his Hook so he can take out her heart. After she is tricked into believing her mother is dead, she murders her father herself by taking out his heart.

Is that how Cora died? By Hook killing her? No. It was clear in the Miller's Daughter that Regina didn't choose to kill her mother. Just as it was clear in the Stable Boy that Regina didn't choose to kill Daniel.

Edited by FavFable
Is that how Cora died? By Hook killing her?

No, Cora anticipated that Regina would choose that method to try to kill her, so she was able to thwart that attempt.

Regina did choose to kill her mother. She just failed.

Ironically, Regina tried to kill her mother by ripping out her heart, but her mother actually died when Regina put her heart  back in.

Edited by kili
  • Love 6

Just as it was clear in the Stable Boy that Regina didn't choose to kill Daniel.

But neither did Snow, who Regina wrongly blamed.

Cora killed Daniel.  Based on what happened in season 2, Regina turned out to be okay with it.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 4

Other. Way. Around.

Seriously, Regina ruins her own life. She only blames the Charmings because she's too much of a psychotic womanchild to take responsibility for her own choices.

The Charmings may pretend to be  "heroes" but they are far from blameless. How did Regina choose to have Daniel killed? How did Regina choose to kill her mother?

It's not circumstances that ruin Regina's life, but rather what she chooses to do with them. The Charmings, especially Snow, have gone through the same crappy situations she has. Snow's parents were both murdered, she was kicked out of her own home, was cursed for 28 years, and had her daughter taken away from her. Despite all that, she still turned out to be a happy person. Regina chooses to be miserable in her circumstances, while Snow chooses hope. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

Cora died because she and Regina planned to murder everydambbody, and killing her was the only way to stop her from becoming the dark one. The only reason Regina is alive is because Snow was too much of a pushover to do the right thing once. She learned from her mistake where Cora qas concerned.

• Love 6

No, Cora anticipated that Regina would choose that method to try to kill her, so she was able to thwart that attempt.

Regina did choose to kill her mother. She just failed.

Ironically, Regina tried to kill her mother by ripping out her heart, but her mother actually died when Regina put her heart  back in.

Tried.. and failed. Who succeeded? Snow. With a move that would make every villain proud.  Regina didn't choose to kill Cora and wasn't responsible for her death, that was Snow.

Cora died because she and Regina planned to murder everydambbody, and killing her was the only way to stop her from becoming the dark one. The only reason Regina is alive is because Snow was too much of a pushover to do the right thing once. She learned from her mistake where Cora qas concerned.

Good thing since without Regina Snow would be dead at least twice over, and so would her husband and child.

Regina didn't choose to kill Cora and wasn't responsible for her death, that was Snow.

Regina did choose to kill Cora. She just failed. She chose to kill both of her parents and then cried about it (before she found out that only one of them was dead).

Choosing to do something and succeeding are two different things. Attempted murder is still not a get out of jail free card.

Snow did kill Cora in self-defense (and the defense of the entire town). It was one of the best moments in the show and made me respect Snow more. Regina gets some pity for having Cora as a mother and even some abused kids miss their mothers. I'm glad that Regina learned to be objective and realized that "it was complicated" and that Snow had very good reasons for stopping Cora. That was one of Regina's redemptive moments.

Justifiable homicide is a get out of jail free card. Not that anybody is going to jail here. The Storybrooke jail is just the place you keep people before somebody tries to kill them.

Edited by kili
  • Love 2

Regina did choose to kill Cora. She just failed. She chose to kill both of her parents and then cried about it (before she found out that only one of them was dead). Choosing to do something and succeeding are two different things. Attempted murder is still not a get out of jail free card.

Snow did kill Cora in self-defense (and the defense of the entire town). It was one of the best moments in the show and made me respect Snow more. Regina gets some pity for having Cora as a mother and even some abused kids miss their mothers. I'm glad that Regina learned to be objective and realized that "it was complicated" and that Snow had very good reasons for stopping Cora. That was one of Regina's redemptive moments.

I disagree. It was not self defense. Snow actually attacking Cora and killing her would be self defense. That scene showed me that Snow could be as evil and manipulative as any villain. I am sure she made Rumple proud with that move. But back to the original point. Cora's death was not due to Regina or her choice. It was directly related to Snow and her 'choice'.

Good thing since without Regina Snow would be dead at least twice over, and so would her husband and child.

Not really. If Snow had a) shot Regina with an arrow in 'The Evil Queen' or b) executed Regina in 'The Cricket Game,' the curse never would have happened and Snow, Charming, and Emma would not have been in any of the dangerous life-threatening situations we've seen on this show.

Snow actually attacking Cora and killing her would be self defense.

I'm sorry, can you explain further? When Snow killed Cora, Cora was in the process of trying to murder Snow and her entire (extended) family--her husband, daughter, grandson's father, and grandson's grandfather. How is Snow killing Cora explicitly to save the lives of herself and her loved ones not self-defense?

• Love 4
(edited)
Not really. If Snow had a) shot Regina with an arrow in 'The Evil Queen' or b) executed Regina in 'The Cricket Game,' the curse never would have happened and Snow, Charming, and Emma would not have been in any of the dangerous life-threatening situations we've seen on this show.

Rumple would have ensured the Curse happened no matter what Snow did.  He would have found a way to prevent Snow from killing Regina in those two situations (he was in the crowd of the execution, so if Snow hadn't stopped the execution, he would have done something).  He even conceived of that banish-Regina-and-she-can't-hurt-Snow-in-THIS-world contrivance, so Regina would turn her gaze to casting the Curse.  If Regina died, Rumple would have used a spare.  

Just like Gandalf advised Frodo not to kill Gollum, and Dumbledore advised Harry Potter not to kill Wormtongue, in the Fairytale world, sparing someone's life when there are alternatives will pay off eventually, you just don't know when.  With Cora's case, there were no alternative, and the threat was immediate.  Cora had to be killed, or the entire family would have been dead.

Edited by Camera One

Tinkerbell and Regina were fun to watch. It was nice to see someone genuinely interested in a friendship with Regina. I loved when Tinkerbell met Robin and started talking too much, Regina elbowed her. I thought it was a cute moment between the friends.

What did you think of Zelena and her connection to Regina? Did you like how that storyline was resolved?

Sorry for the lateness. HeHe.

I don't think I liked the resolution as much as I should have.  I still can't pinpoint why.   I very much enjoyed everything that led up to it.   I liked the revelation that the all powerful Evil Queen met someone that could and did always school her when it came to magic fights,  I just thought it was resolved to quickly.

I wouldn't mind more distance between Regina and the Charmings, only because they bore me.   Drama can be interesting but that family is oatmeal to me.  I can't imagine even the writers aren't bored to death with them.   Though to be fair, I do like to look at Charming.

And I agree with you in regards to Tinkerbell.  I think my favorite moment between them was When Regina tore out her own heart to show Tinkerbell what became of her when she chose "Revenge over hope".   It was poignant but not in the stomache-turning way they have Snow do things.   I was pleasantly surprised that in a moment of clarity, Regina would use herself as a cautionary tale for someone who's not Henry.   My favorite character interactions for Regina are,  Robin, Cora, Charming (ONLY for the pretty), Rumple (He's the Roadrunner to her Coyote), The Mad Hatter (their chemistry was HOT).

• Love 1

All these reminders of the heart-ripping, putting back, show-and-tell, makes me long for a moratorium on it.  So very, very overdone.  To the point of meaningless anymore.  You can hide yours, put a protective spell on it, live without it, live  with half a heart, just stop already.  Or pitch the concept to a big pharma/medical device company and make a fortune and benefit humanity.  Now there's a road to redemption for Regina.

• Love 3

And I agree with you in regards to Tinkerbell.  I think my favorite moment between them was When Regina tore out her own heart to show Tinkerbell what became of her when she chose "Revenge over hope".   It was poignant but not in the stomache-turning way they have Snow do things.   I was pleasantly surprised that in a moment of clarity, Regina would use herself as a cautionary tale for someone who's not Henry.   My favorite character interactions for Regina are,  Robin, Cora, Charming (ONLY for the pretty), Rumple (He's the Roadrunner to her Coyote), The Mad Hatter (their chemistry was HOT).

People that hate the character like to say she has no self awareness. That moment with Tinkerbell showed that Regina was very self aware.

Your list is excellent. I noticed you left Henry out. Not a fan of their scenes? I didn't care for his interactions with her in season 2, but he had some good moments in season 3. I think our lists are very similar. I like the snark that Regina and Charming have in their scenes. If Snow were to fall off a cliff I would hope they would pair Regina and Charming, I think their chemistry is off the charts. Some of my favorite Regina scenes are with Rumple, even though he is so bad for her. If she relapses, I think he will be the one to encourage it. I like to think there is some type of bond between them, beneath all the manipulation and betrayal. Robin and Regina are very good match. I loved them fighting back in the Enchanted Forest. I agree with you about the chemistry between Regina and The Mad Hatter, they were always fun to watch. I think he might have been at one point, her only friend.

On a side note, did you see the comments People Magazine had about ONCE, about Regina specifically?

No, what did they say?

Edited by Rockybeach

People Magazine said " The highlight of the show remains newlywed actress Lana Parrilla, who continues to pepper her Evil Queen with just the right amount of realism to make her deliciously wicked deeds seem justified.."

Thought it was a nice mention of both LP and EQ.

Your list is excellent. I noticed you left Henry out. Not a fan of their scenes? I didn't care for his interactions with her in season 2, but he had some good moments in season 3. I think our lists are very similar. I like the snark that Regina and Charming have in their scenes. If Snow were to fall off a cliff I would hope they would pair Regina and Charming, I think their chemistry is off the charts. Some of my favorite Regina scenes are with Rumple, even though he is so bad for her. If she relapses, I think he will be the one to encourage it. I like to think there is some type of bond between them, beneath all the manipulation and betrayal. Robin and Regina are very good match. I loved them fighting back in the Enchanted Forest. I agree with you about the chemistry between Regina and The Mad Hatter, they were always fun to watch. I think he might have been at one point, her only friend.

I'm middle of the road when it comes to Regina's scenes with Henry, they don't thrill me but I don't mind them.

And I think you NAILED what I like about Charming/Regina interactions.   He screams optimistic/simplistic heroism and since Regina hasn't been completely on the side of evil, she's like a dark, sour cloud sitting next to a smiley face and the guy who plays him or the directors are always sure to make sure his mannerisms come across as that of a Gentleman.   Like after Zelena pitched Regina into the clock tower and Team Charming raced in to see if Regina was ok, he helped her up and held onto her until she was steady on her feet.   I also really like their scenes in the front half of Season 2, when Snow and Emma were sent back to Fairy Tale Land.   They have a really good Vinegar/Comraderie vibe, better than Emma/Regina IMO.

I agree with you about the chemistry between Regina and The Mad Hatter, they were always fun to watch. I think he might have been at one point, her only friend.

And considering he raised her hopes only to allow them to be dashed with Daniel's failed ressurection, it gave their dynamic a little more "hmph" IMO.

People Magazine said " The highlight of the show remains newlywed actress Lana Parrilla, who continues to pepper her Evil Queen with just the right amount of realism to make her deliciously wicked deeds seem justified.."

Total congrats to Lana who seems like a lovely woman.   And I wholeheartedly agree with people, in that she's the highlight for me too.

• Love 1
I could buy a Regina who's decided she loves being Henry's mother, and occasionally enjoys family time with Emma and the Charmings, but doesn't want to give up her schemes.  Like you said, it would be a fresh take on the Mayor Mills/Evil Queen thing, and would allow Parilla to shine in the more restrained Mayor Mills role.  It would also open the door to possibilities to new wacky hijinks and the occasional character figuring it out, only to be zapped by Sidney or Regina.

From your keyboard to the writer's ears. Not only would that be more fun...it would make more sense on her steps to redemption. Regina would ALWAYS feel the ends justify the means, and frankly, between the attacks of the Big Bads life in Storybrooke would be boring for a former Evil Queen. Chairing city council meetings just isnt as fun as dressing up like a drag queen and threatening villagers, no matter how "good," you have become. I think Regina always had a bit of "naughty," side to her even before Cora totally screwed her up. She was rebellious enough to go behind the Queen of Means back to get score a little, uh, "comfort," in the hay so its just part of her.

I also like last year as in 3A Regina had to work with a team, and did not like it. In 3B she was better at it, and seemed to kind of like it "The others are waiting for me," despite being annoyed with the boring Charmings do good above all mentality. I think she actually despite herself "likes," the Charmings even as they annoy the you know what out of her. So, I can see her being part of the group while still doing things her own way, and occasionally whipping up some trouble. I think she would be annoyed as hell for not being invited to Thanksgiving but would come and insult Snow's cooking talent and Emma's table setting. "Emma, they are called table scapes NOT accident scenes...lets start over and this time you watch me..oh, just go get me a martini I need it to get through this day."

And yes, I know its a big leap to think that Regina and Snow could actually like each other, but I take that they bonded more in the lost year and we just havent seen it.

Edited by Mitch
  • Love 4

I'm middle of the road when it comes to Regina's scenes with Henry, they don't thrill me but I don't mind them.

And I think you NAILED what I like about Charming/Regina interactions.   He screams optimistic/simplistic heroism and since Regina hasn't been completely on the side of evil, she's like a dark, sour cloud sitting next to a smiley face and the guy who plays him or the directors are always sure to make sure his mannerisms come across as that of a Gentleman.   Like after Zelena pitched Regina into the clock tower and Team Charming raced in to see if Regina was ok, he helped her up and held onto her until she was steady on her feet.   I also really like their scenes in the front half of Season 2, when Snow and Emma were sent back to Fairy Tale Land.   They have a really good Vinegar/Comraderie vibe, better than Emma/Regina IMO.

And considering he raised her hopes only to allow them to be dashed with Daniel's failed ressurection, it gave their dynamic a little more "hmph" IMO.

Total congrats to Lana who seems like a lovely woman.   And I wholeheartedly agree with people, in that she's the highlight for me too.

Loved that moment in the clock tower. My first choice would have been Robin, but I love that Charming helped her. One of my favorite lines in season 3 is when Charming asked what Regina did to the Wicked Witch to make her so angry. Regina's response of "Nothing, I've never even met her", and then Charming's response, "It's not personal, shocking." Loved it!!  I noticed they also had the same idea about killing the mermaid on the way to Neverland. Great scene.

Loved that moment in the clock tower. My first choice would have been Robin, but I love that Charming helped her. One of my favorite lines in season 3 is when Charming asked what Regina did to the Wicked Witch to make her so angry. Regina's response of "Nothing, I've never even met her", and then Charming's response, "It's not personal, shocking." Loved it!!  I noticed they also had the same idea about killing the mermaid on the way to Neverland. Great scene.

My favorite potential Regina pairing was Mad Hatter and the Queen. Loved her scenes with Jefferson!!

So Rocky what did you think of the 1 Regina scene from this week's ONCE?

Edited by FavFable

My favorite potential Regina pairing was Mad Hatter and the Queen. Loved her scenes with Jefferson!!

So Rocky what did you think of the 1 Regina scene from this week's ONCE?

Honestly, it was a poor episode overall, but the final scene was fantastic.

I loved the final scene. It was a nice bookmark from Season 2 when Regina told Henry she wanted him to come home because he wanted too. It finally happened. Henry is home because that is where he wants to be.

Edited by Rockybeach

It's apparent Regina's goal changes constantly. Her "happy ending" is never consistent. First she wanted Daniel, then revenge on Snow, then Henry, then Robin, and now to change the book. I can't take her losses seriously because I know she'll just find a new shiny toy to play with. Nothing is ever enough for her. Even if the Charmings were dead, she had Robin and Henry loved her, she'd still be unhappy.

From 3x22 to 4x01, Regina totally changes her mind about her supposedly true love for Robin. In 4x02, she doesn't want to see Henry yet she just TLK'd him like two days ago. Her storylines can be so sporadic, and it's been like that since S2.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6

Honestly, it was a poor episode overall, but the final scene was fantastic.

I loved the final scene. It was a nice bookmark from Season 2 when Regina told Henry she wanted him to come home because he wanted too. It finally happened. Henry is home because that is where he wants to be.

I was surprised that Regina wouldn't see Henry at the beginning, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Regina was trying to get over losing her soul mate. She wouldn't have been able to focus on Henry while she was so upset. It was smart of her to take a step back and figure things out. I loved that Henry is the one that stepped up and told his mom that he wasn't going to give up on her.

Edited by FavFable
  • Love 1

You know, many people dub Regina "a sociopath", but I actually must disagree.  Sociopathy is indicative of Antisocial Personality Disorder, and I don't think Regina has that.  I think Regina suffers from Histrionic Personality Disorder, which is similar but not quite the same.

Its symptoms include:

• Exhibitionist behavior 
  • Constant seeking of reassurance or approval
  • Excessive sensitivity to criticism or disapproval
  • Pride of own personality and unwillingness to change, viewing any change as a threat
  • Inappropriately seductive appearance or behavior of a sexual nature
  • Using somatic symptoms to garner attention
  • A need to be the center of attention
  • Low tolerance for frustration or delayed gratification
  • Rapidly shifting emotional states that may appear superficial or exaggerated to others
  • Tendency to believe that relationships are more intimate than they actually are
  • Making rash decisions
  • Blaming personal failures or disappointments on others
  • Being easily influenced by others, especially those who treat them approvingly
  • Being overly dramatic and emotional

Seriously, read that over. It fits Regina to a T.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 4

I was surprised that Regina wouldn't see Henry at the beginning, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Regina was trying to get over losing her soul mate. She wouldn't have been able to focus on Henry while she was so upset. It was smart of her to take a step back and figure things out. I loved that Henry is the one that stepped up and told his mom that he wasn't going to give up on her.

I agree. Did you see 

the deleted scene between Snow and Regina?

It was so important to the story and to Regina's mental state at the time, but they cut it to show more of Emma and Elsa sitting in a cave. What a waste.

I agree. Did you see 

the deleted scene between Snow and Regina?

It was so important to the story and to Regina's mental state at the time, but they cut it to show more of Emma and Elsa sitting in a cave. What a waste.

I did see it and it was fantastic!! It should have been left in the show. I think the first half of the season is going to be useless for most of the cast. I think Regina will get her focus in the second part of the

season when they bring back Maleficent.

I do have to say I am glad Regina is still Mayor.

Edited by FavFable

Lana is a very over-the-top actress. You give her an inch, she goes a mile. This makes the character she's playing very passionate about whatever it is she's feeling. Lana is spectacular as the Evil Queen, and it's very apparent she adores playing the role. Regina's emotions are always extreme, whether sad, angry or happy. With all this in mind, it's like trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

A flip-flopping grey character stifles where Regina shines the most. It's asking her to be something she's not. Whatever she does, it's always played to the balcony. It's almost never neutral or in the background. If they let her be entertaining by being the Evil Queen without being so wishy-washy, then watching her scenes wouldn't be such a pain all the time. That's just my opinion, though.

I thought her larger than life Mayor Mills persona in S1 was when she was at her best. Watching her cry over boyfriends or sitting on the fence about being good is far less exciting. I've never been more bored with her than I was in 4x01.

I agree with this. Regina is boring as fuck this season. Even her clothes, hair and makeup are boring. I wish they'd just make her an unapologetic villain and be done with it. She was much more fun that way.

It is unbelievable to me how diminished both Regina, Rumple and Belle have become this season so they can focus on such pointless characters.

I know, it is ridiculous how bad these first 3 episodes were, I am sure it will drag on for a few more, but I think the second part of the season will really highlight the best actors, LP and RC. Did you see the numbers for the last 2 weeks? Apparently the ratings are dropping like crazy. 

What did you think of Robin and Regina's scenes last night?

Edited by FavFable

LP and RC are definitely the best actors on the show. Even when I hate their character's actions, I am always impressed by their scenes.  

I was annoyed with Robin. I understand why he went to Regina, and I had to laugh that no one bothered to get Emma.  :)  I know Robin wanted to help Marian but I thought it was asking a lot for Regina to get involved. That said, I loved their final scene. LP is so amazing with little or no dialogue. When Robin said TLK didn't work because he was in love with someone else. You could see Regina processing the information and when she finally realized that he was talking about her, that smile she offers him was very sweet. Excellent moment.