Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Archer: 1999 -- Road Trip

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Once again Archer's alcoholism ruins everything. And he finally became self-aware enough that they all turn out okay eventually.

Oh man, Good Timeline Archer was the one to die. That was a really good twist there, especially when they all turned out to be clones.

"My alter ego would be something cool like a secret agent, or a private detective..." I also liked the callback to Crystal.

Next week: Ray is finally useful?!

• Love 1
(edited)

AVClub went off on this episode, and I can't blame the writer for that opinion. I realize that Archer doesn't have to reinvent the wheel every week, but this episode felt lazy . . .which is more disappointing given we had to wait two weeks for it.

To review:

• Archer being Archer basically endangers everyone
  • Lana is front and center at pointing out that Archer is an asshole, but everyone feels that she's got too much negativity
  • Bring in a sci-fi trope . . . this time, it's presumed counterparts from a parallel universe
    • But it turns out that Malory cloned the crew to increase productivity . . . admittedly, that was a nice swerve, and so very Malory
  • Archer basically makes things worse, then manages to save the day thanks in part to blind luck

I mean, there are bits that make the episode more palatable . . . like the dual Kriegers. And the stuff with AlterArcher being a nice guy (and bald). But when Malory's twist is revealed, you have to ask why she had that clone head shaved. Or appear to be a nice guy.

"Cristal" was a nice callback. Also fun to see Cheryl prepare for the culling, and Pam one-shotting her when she tries to start it. And only Archer would throw another version of himself to feed a beast. An unholy mix of a Jurassic Park super-dino and the Predator. Nice to know the latter is still scary in his comatose mind.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

And only Archer would throw another version of himself to feed a beast.

That was my solution as well, only I would have thrown all the dead ones out there. The only thing that really caught me by surprise was when Archer punched Cyril in the face while he was falling.

• Love 2
(edited)

I disagree that this was lazy.  I actually found it very funny that it pointed out some incredibly obvious things.   That Archers barely functional alcoholism is the source of most of their problems and that even though Lana has every right to be pissed at him she does run on a very high level of anger.  Both were very obvious but the show pointed both points out in a funny way.      

I also really loved Cheryl’s preparing for the culling.  And yes the details make it weird.

Also nice callback to the group meetings. And yes Mallory so would clone the group to increase productivity.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
(edited)

I thought this episode was really disappointing, as has most of Archer 1999 (the Mr. Deadly episode being an exception).  The only part I liked was the homage to the Twilight Zone episode Death Ship but even that falters.  I was so bored I pretty much stopped paying attention.

Edited by benteen

This episode seemed very stuck in the place that the whole season has been. Every character has one kind of punch line that each deliver a few times an episode. No one seems to have any motivations or goals that last longer than one episode; everyone is just hanging around, waiting for the plot of the week.

It seems like quite a retreat from the complexity of the last two seasons.

I don't know if they just decided to streamline their storytelling, or if they are over committed to the very episodic structure of the sci-fi shows they are poking fun at.

• Love 1

Everyone does realize that these one and done plot lines were the kind of plots the whole original Archer the alcoholic spy with oedipus issues did?  It was only in later seasons that the show added season long plots.  This is as close to OG Archer as the show has ever been.  

• Love 4

Archer is Archer, but I would disagree with just waiting for blind luck. They all have their issues, but at the end Archer does have transferable skills. He did install the fuel cell and kill off the T Rex. I get they were being meta, but I don't have a problem with that. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, Lantern7 said:

But when Malory's twist is revealed, you have to ask why she had that clone head shaved. Or appear to be a nice guy.

In my Krieger voice, “Right?”

Although if I wanted to put more thought into it beyond “it was funny”, I would say it was probably Krieger’s doing and not Malory. 

And it almost make sense that he would do the whole “everybody is actually nice to each other” thing. He’s weirdly sentimental sometimes. 

What exactly is Mallory? Is she a hard light hologram? An electrical Avatar of the space's computer? A collection of Nanobots? Her abilities confuse me. She seems like she could do everything, but chooses to do nothing.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Was there a cloned Mallory?  I forget.  It could simply be the lack of Mallory herself could make Archer nicer and therefore everyone else get along. 

No Malory. No Ray, either.

I've been good with this season. It's just this episode felt like a clunker. It's better than a lot of other stuff, but it was a letdown. And I think there are only three episodes left.

The dinosaur reminded me a lot of Archersaurus and the shaven head Archer reminded me of cancer Archer Rampaaaaaaaaage!

One of my favorite Archer Sketch Cards in my collection is a Carol/Cheryl/Crystal Tunt card so I was thrilled with that callback.

I think I haven't been as much into this season because it seems like death is hanging all over them and that Archer's light in the "real" world is dimming. It's just something I can't skate while watching these episodes.

I do really like how they have re-imagined the opening credits though. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

One of my favorite Archer Sketch Cards in my collection is a Carol/Cheryl/Crystal Tunt card so I was thrilled with that callback.

Is that something you buy, or was it a personal commission? I collect sketches; Archer-wise, I got Pam, Lana and Archer (battling Awesome-X). Oh, and could you show the sketch card to me us?