Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Down to the Wire.

• Start Topic

Is it just me, or does this coach/mentor competition seem rather random?  Maybe we're not seeing everything, but there doesn't seem like much coaching is taking place.  And, sometimes those who spend more time coaching or working with their artists are sent home because their team had the losing tattoo.  I feel bad for the mentors who don't get to compete in the finale.

• Love 3

If the mentors are going to get to compete based on if their "team" loses, then they should be judged as a group, not individually. Since it kind of sucks for Sarah that she ended up with the winner and loser, whereas I think if they were judged as a group, the women probably would've won this round. They seemed to get better critiques as a whole than the men did, even if the winning tattoo was Fon's.

Which...I kind of question. Not that it was bad necessarily, but I wonder if his looked better in person. Because when they had the close-ups on instagram, the hand looks...weird. I was actually shocked Ashley didn't even enter the conversation for tattoo of the day, because they were all praising her tattoo and how great it was; I thought she was going to be the clear winner.

For reference, here is Fon's tattoo and something is off with that hand

• Love 2
On 6/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

Is it just me, or does this coach/mentor competition seem rather random?  Maybe we're not seeing everything, but there doesn't seem like much coaching is taking place.  And, sometimes those who spend more time coaching or working with their artists are sent home because their team had the losing tattoo.  I feel bad for the mentors who don't get to compete in the finale.

It does seem like a safety net just in case the contestants were boring to have returning players to talk to camera.

I thought the standard of the tattoos improved from last week, not much else to say.

• Love 1

It's like they are trying to play it both ways: have a team competition but not judge them as a team. If they do teams, they should win as a team and the worst tattoo from the losing team should go home. That does mean sometimes a shit tattoo will be saved by a strong team, but in any team competition a shit performance is often saved by a strong team, and it is the only way the coaches competition makes sense.

I thought is was especially unfair last week when that girl quit, so that coach automatically lost.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

If the mentors are going to get to compete based on if their "team" loses, then they should be judged as a group, not individually. Since it kind of sucks for Sarah that she ended up with the winner and loser, whereas I think if they were judged as a group, the women probably would've won this round. They seemed to get better critiques as a whole than the men did, even if the winning tattoo was Fon's.

Which...I kind of question. Not that it was bad necessarily, but I wonder if his looked better in person. Because when they had the close-ups on instagram, the hand looks...weird. I was actually shocked Ashley didn't even enter the conversation for tattoo of the day, because they were all praising her tattoo and how great it was; I thought she was going to be the clear winner.

For reference, here is Fon's tattoo and something is off with that hand

I think he probably took (traced?) it directly off of a reference of Our Lady.  It seems the hands are always positioned like that in religious art, particularly in the Renaissance.

I feel that coaching doesn't help the people doing tat of the day type work. It helps the people who with one suggestion may pull their quality up enough to stay safe... so I disagree about the way they are moving the coaches on to the showdown at the end.

Also, is there anyone likeable in this cast? Hard to care about this bunch imho.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I feel that coaching doesn't help the people doing tat of the day type work. It helps the people who with one suggestion may pull their quality up enough to stay safe... so I disagree about the way they are moving the coaches on to the showdown at the end.

Also, is there anyone likeable in this cast? Hard to care about this bunch imho.

Unless they bring coaches back, with the usual number of episodes of this show, that seems like they're going to be bringing back quite a few people for that showdown? But yeah, I agree that the coaches don't really help the tat of the day people. Really, the coaches just seem to kind of be given the task of herding cats on the experimental arts and crafts challenges for control of the skull pics. Additionally, in the "battle of the sexes" season, it seems kind of like taking half of what's allegedly interesting about seeing single gender group dynamics by just being like "okay, the boss is the one person on your team that is the opposite of the rest of you!"

Also I'm not sure if there's anyone terribly likeable but the sooner Cam goes home, the more watchable this season will be, IMO.

I really, really hope there's no "hooking up for strategy" on this season because that's incredibly tedious to me.

• Love 2

These idiots are letting Cam play them with the fake humility and pity party. This format is nonsensical bullshit and proves that Ink Master ran its course.

I gotta admit, Katie looks kinda sexy now. I’d go for it if she let me.

• Love 1