Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Scarecrow

• Start Topic

While in a motel, Sam and Dean receive a call from their father, asking them to give up trying to find him and to take note of the names of three young couples that had disappeared in Indiana along the last three years, always on the second week of April. Sam decides to go after his father in California and leaves Dean, who arrives in the small town of Burkitsville for investigation of the missing couples. Sam meets the drifter Meg, who is also hitchhiking to California on the road, and stays with her waiting for a bus in the bus station. Dean discloses that a pagan god is demanding sacrifices in a fertility ritual in the annual cycle of killings with the support of the locals and a creepy scarecrow. When Dean and a local girl are offered to the scarecrow, Sam returns to help them.

(edited)

I adore this episode, probably more now than the first time I watched it. Even though, Meg is obviously evil and up to no good; Sam is being a total dupe; and John continues to be a totally self-absorbed jackass that couldn't muster the energy to drop a line and let his sons know he was okay but can still manage to find the time to run down an elaborate pattern and send his sons on random hunts (Can you tell that John is starting to grate on me?)  Anyhoo, despite those things this episode is easily tied with the Pilot for my S1 favorite.

First, I feel like the way they split them up for this episode was very organic. The tensions had been growing for a few episodes now and it makes sense to me that Sam would want to go help Dad and Dean would do what he was told. They both have reasonable reasons that seem reasonable to me and they both can continue on and live without the other, they just choose not to. I like the way they both have the instinct to call the other when they want to talk, but then remember that they broke up. And, I love the conversation they have where Dean says that he's proud of Sam and to take care of himself. It's a nice brotherly moment that highlights how they just are different people and want different things, but it doesn't have to be that one is right and the other wrong, just different. I wish the show would remember these things now.

Second, I love the way Kim Manners shot that orchard (yes, I'm aware those aren't actually apple trees)--it's beautiful and creepy and somehow feels quaint and charming, if that even makes any sense.  And that scarecrow was freakin' creepy as hell. I think what I love most about this episode is the quietness. They didn't feel the need to fill all the quiet spaces with noise. That scene where Dean is walking through the orchard and spots the scarecrow is like a minute long with no dialogue except for "dude, you're fugly."  It really helps create the atmosphere, plus doesn't treat me like I'm too stupid to follow along without them spelling out every single detail to me.  I miss this aspect of the show.

So, yes, Meg was as obvious (just like a future demon chick that shall remain nameless so I don't have to use spoiler tags) and John continues to be grating, but the rest elevates it sufficiently for me.  It is kinda disappointing to see that Dean's EMF reader wasn't homemade like the Walkman from Phantom Traveler though. ;)

ETA: I forgot to mention the Cigarette Smoking Man making an appearance...I love that guy!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

How can you not love Dean in saying " I hope your apple pie is worth it."

Smart Dean, capable of figuring out things for himself and able to do the research.

I still like the line "I'm working on it"  When he is asked what is his plan.  He never believes he can't find a way out  and never gives up even though he knows he's in deep deep trouble.

I'm not sure if it is my number two but it definitely well written, acted and directed.  Although I do wonder how smart Sam is, when he can't even see that Meg is so obviously not who she appears to be.

One thing I don't remember, is this the ep that starts Dean's love affair with pie?

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's the first episode he orders pie, but the first time he says he loves pie I think is at the end of S2--All Hell Breaks Loose II? Jensen has mentioned that the moment Dean's love of food started was

in Nightmare. They put out those cocktail wieners and Jensen asked the props people if they were edible because he felt like Dean would eat them--apparently they were and the writer's latched onto the idea.

The whole apple-pie life was a recurring theme of S1, so I think it was used here for that reason.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
(edited)

Other than the brothers being apart for part of the episode, Scarecrow is everything I like a Supernatural episode to be.  It's got its creepy moments (scarecrows are among the things that really creep me out), some funny moments, a bit of backstory and a glance into a twisted little not-quite-all-American community.  And it's not that I mind the brothers being apart in this episode - in fact I think it works quite well.  And I like the way they're brought back together.  Everything flows well.  It's just that a "perfect" Supernatural episode would include those things but also manage to have the brothers working together and getting along the whole time.  Perfect episodes, therefore, are rare.

Also, I like original Meg.  She wasn't well-received when the show first aired, but I always thought Nikki Aycox did a good job.

forgot to mention the Cigarette Smoking Man making an appearance...I love that guy!

Me, too.  I bet Kim Manners enjoyed working with him again, too.  

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't even like this episode much when it aired. I've said before on TWOP, I like this episode a lot more now in retrospect because of how well they used to be able to address conflict between the brothers. Neither one got dumped on or blamed, they just had different but valid points of view. There was a big fight and they went their separate ways, but clearly still cared about one another and actually missed each others' company. When they were reunited, they understood each other better. They understood themselves better. The fight actually, *gasp*, resolved constructively! Almost like a healthy relationship!

Who knew that was going to be such a rarity.

Oh, the days when I still enjoyed their relationship. 

Edited by Mcolleague
  • Love 4

I watched this one last night.  I love the episode, but can't stand this version of Meg, so that distracts.  I like others have said before me like how the boys went there separate ways and it felt right at the time.  They were at a boiling point and it just seemed right.  No made up angst. The scarecrow was truly creepy.  Love the way this was filmed.  Kim Manners was gold.

• Love 2

I really like this episode.  It was a natural tipping point for Sam and Dean so no manufactured angst, it was handled well (both had issues with the other, both pretty valid, nothing got too outta hand), and in the end they found common ground.  No one had to be 'wrong' or 'evil' or whatever.  

The MOTW was creepy as hell.  Loved that they wove in mythology with Meg in a seemingly innocent MOTW episode.  Well done.

I like Meg and the actress so she never bothered me.  

I also liked the brother moments and growth we see in this episode.  They go separate ways, but one of them still calls the other (wonder who?!) and they discuss the MOTW professionally.  Dean, with a little breathing room and distance, can admit he admires his brother for doing something different with his life and for standing up for himself.  Sam shows smarts, even through his single-minded 'find dad' focus, and realizes something isn't right with Dean. And, in the end, throws his hat in with Dean and the save people plan (kinda), writes Dad off (for now), and admits that nothing will bring the people they lost back- ties in nicely with the Pilot where Sam said that Mary was gone and nothing will bring her back... now he added Jess to that list.

I do sometimes wonder what happened to the girl they put on the bus for Boston... :)

• Love 2

I had a realization when watching this episode for the 43rd time (I can be a little slow...). 

John was right. It WAS dangerous for him to call the boys.  

That's doesn't mean that they way he handled it was good -- nope, John was an ass with his "orders" and treated them like they were teens.  BUT, it didn't occur to me until I watched it this time that the reason Meg found Sam was because John called.  John felt he was being watched (he was) and he knew the boys were looking for him (they were). So the purpose of his phone call was to try and get them to back off so that the demons tracking John would not track Sam and Dean.  And sure enough... what happens when he makes real contact?  Sam and Dean now have Meg on their ass.  And it almost worked too.  If Sam had gone off to California, Meg was fully intending to be right next to him... bonding an all.

Thru S5 spoiler:

Spoiler

She was the beta version of Ruby, another Brady... someone in Sam's life who he thought he could trust but was in fact a demon.  They must have lost contact with Sam when he went on the road with Dean.  But think about it... they had a demon (per Swan Song) in various spots all through his life.  And now that John was getting close, they stepped up their game and put Meg on "Sam-duty."  YES, I'm retconning here... but it fits REALLY well IMO.  

So, in that light... John was right to try and distance himself from the boys.  Now he could have been smarter.  He could have mailed a letter to Caleb (who Sam had JUST been talking too) with an explanation.  But that would not have been dramatically effective... we needed to get a demon onto the boys to amp up the tension.  So, I guess what I'm saying is that while John is still an ass and he should have told the boys to LOOK OUT FOR DEMONS... ya know, the "Stranger Danger, Hunter Version" ... his instincts that if he contacts the boys, the demons would find them was in fact correct.

Onto the episode.

"Dude, you fugly"

"I hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it"

Two more Supernatural classic lines.  And I loved that Scotty busted Dean on the use of John Bonham's name.  I also loved how Dean was so completely inept at warning that couple.  Dean has done hunts on his own but he's still a little green at the civilian communication.  He probably relied on his Dad, and then Sam, to do that schtick.  Now I think Dean CAN be better, but I was totally fine with him flubbing that in an effort to show us that they are better as a team.  So, for example, Dean DID find out all about the pagan ritual, but because he was alone, the smoking man (from X-files) got the drop on him. 

And I really liked the girl he was captured with. Smart, sweet, and quick on the uptake.  Plus that scarecrow... legit creepy. 

Finally, I DID like Meg's approach at luring in Sam.  She played that JUST RIGHT.  First acting all faux scared but flirty but then leaving him.  Perfect way to capture his attention.  And totally believable they'd meet up at the bus station to California and have one of those conversations you can have with a fellow traveler who is a complete stranger. I thought she played that well.  So Sam going off to save Dean really pissed her off.  Because she had to back off of whatever her plan was.  Very smart, that Meg.  

• Love 3

Man, do I love this episode. You guys have finally got me to do it...I'm gonna go watch this one today!

11 hours ago, GirlyGeek said:

I do sometimes wonder what happened to the girl they put on the bus for Boston... :)

Me too! 

1 hour ago, SueB said:

So, in that light... John was right to try and distance himself from the boys.  Now he could have been smarter.  He could have mailed a letter to Caleb (who Sam had JUST been talking too) with an explanation.  But that would not have been dramatically effective... we needed to get a demon onto the boys to amp up the tension.  So, I guess what I'm saying is that while John is still an ass and he should have told the boys to LOOK OUT FOR DEMONS... ya know, the "Stranger Danger, Hunter Version" ... his instincts that if he contacts the boys, the demons would find them was in fact correct.

Heh, I just posted something similar in the Faith thread. John was an ass, but doesn't mean he wasn't trying to do something good while being an ass. 

1 hour ago, SueB said:

IFinally, I DID like Meg's approach at luring in Sam.  She played that JUST RIGHT.  First acting all faux scared but flirty but then leaving him.  Perfect way to capture his attention.  [...]  Very smart, that Meg.  

So, Meg is the Sam Whisperer? ;) 

I agree, she approached Sam correctly to get Sam's attention. It always amazes me how often Sam falls for this approach, too. In hindsight, it's interesting insight into Sam. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SueB said:

John was right. It WAS dangerous for him to call the boys.  

That's doesn't mean that they way he handled it was good -- nope, John was an ass with his "orders" and treated them like they were teens.  BUT, it didn't occur to me until I watched it this time that the reason Meg found Sam was because John called.

Wow, count me in to the "duh" department, but I never really picked up on this either.  I believed it, lol, but never really put two and two together.

Spoiler

Considering how Meg was going to use Sam and Dean to lure John out in Shadow, there was a good reason for John keeping his distance.  Meg even says so in Shadow, that John's weakness is his boys and she is going to use that weakness.

(edited)

Here's the problem I have with that idea that John was avoiding them solely to protect them.  Why wouldn't he just tell Missouri the psychic that he was protecting them? He made no mention of that. And IMO JDM's performance did not indicate to me he was scared for them but more that he couldn't face them. And if he suspected a demon was stalking him why would he go to Lawrence and be in physical proximity to the boys? And hide in Missouri's house? What truth was John waiting to learn?  I thought he knew all along it was a demon that killed Mary which is why he became a demon hunter. But that he never told the boys until now it was a demon.

Also, John could have texted Sam and told him he couldn't come to Dean's deathbed because 'code word' for danger, which no way they didn't have a code word for danger.  I'm pretty sure demons can't intercept a text message.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What truth was John waiting to learn?

I always assumed he meant

Spoiler

truth about Sam and the demon's plan for Sam.  Dating all the way back to the deals and the other kids that the YED 'infected', etc.
That part of him staying away from the boys was to keep Sam away from the YEDs trail/plan/etc

11 minutes ago, GirlyGeek said:

I always assumed he meant

Hide contents

truth about Sam and the demon's plan for Sam.  Dating all the way back to the deals and the other kids that the YED 'infected', etc.
That part of him staying away from the boys was to keep Sam away from the YEDs trail/plan/etc

So then him going to Lawrence made even less sense than I thought if that's the case.

(edited)

This is my take on John and why, even though I think he was kinda an ass, I do understand why he was an ass. From the moment Mary dies and he learns what's really out there, he goes into survival mode and stuck there for the next 20 years. He's making snap decisions on the fly rather than thinking it all through and making a well-thought-out plan. It creates a sort of conflicting duality in John that makes him somewhat of a wild card. Like how he wants them to be safe, but trains them to basically walk into danger. Or how he drags them everywhere to keep them close and safe, but then leaves them to their own devices for long periods of time. 

So, it could be: Dean calls him from Lawrence, he jumps in his truck to go see what's up, despite the danger, because it could be something to do with Yellow Eyes and Sam and Dean are his weakness. But by the time he gets there the boys have it handled, there's no Yellow Eyes and now that he's had time to think, decides it's safer to maintain radio silence. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So then him going to Lawrence made even less sense than I thought if that's the case.

Actually, not really.  If he got this phone call from Dean:

"DEAN: Dad? I know I’ve left you messages before. I don’t even know if you’ll get ‘em. But I’m with Sam. And we’re in Lawrence. And there’s something in our old house. I don’t know if it’s the thing that killed Mom or not, but…I don’t know what to do. So, whatever you’re doing, if you could get here. Please. I need your help, Dad."

He might rush over there to watch/see if somehow they'd stumbled on the very thing he was trying to keep away from them.
I realize this is all, somewhat, retconning after the fact.  But it helps maintain my enjoyment of the series and my love of the characters.  And its plausible so I go with it

*or what DDD said ;)

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 2

Two thumbs up on the "it's not YED so I'll stand down" rationalization for John hiding.  Yeah... John.  *hmmmm* Hard to crack that walnut of his. 

Rewatch on TNT and man, Dean's confession to Sam in the car... Gets me every time. 

"You stand up to Dad. You always have. Hell, I wish... Anyway. I admire that about you."

Jensen rocks it. As always. 

• Love 3