Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E06: Will Smith, Naomi Scott, Kevin Hart, Octavia Spencer

• Start Topic

Together on Graham’s sofa tonight: Hollywood superstar Will Smith, playing the Genie in the new live-action Aladdin, together with his co-star Naomi Scott, who plays Princess Jasmine; comedian Kevin Hart, lending his voice to The Secret Life of Pets 2; and Oscar winner Octavia Spencer, star of new psychological horror film Ma.

I had to laugh when Will Smith was nodding along to Kevin Hart's story about taking his kids to see where he grew up, because the lifestyle they have now is not normal. When have Smith's kids ever not been indulged? 

Of all the live-action remakes of Disney animated movies, Aladdin seems the most pointless.

Octavia Spencer should have gotten a lot more time.

Shut up, Will Smith. His appearances on Graham's show annoy me nearly as much as Tom Cruise's. Ugh.

• Love 4

This couch was exhausting and not nearly as funny as they all seemed to think. Honestly, I think this was the first time I could not wait for the show to be over.

Definitely a MMV situation.  I enjoyed the show, and enjoyed how all the guests had a comfort level with each other.  I realized that the entire couch was Americans of color, which was commented on a couple times in a roundabout way.  Regarding the story by Kevin Hart about taking his kids to Philly, I thought he and Will Smith were both noting that their kids have no idea what it was like to grow up "normal" or even just without all the privilege they enjoy, and that he is sympathizing with the idea that the kids will never really understand where both men came from. 

• Love 6

Will Smith's story about his dad telling him that he was "the luckiest SOB" (or thereabouts) was funny but also Exhibit A of what makes him so exhausting - he never stops talking and even when he does have a funny story, he takes twice as long to tell it as necessary.

Paraphrased:

Octavia Spencer: "My bucket list item is to learn to belly-dance."

Graham: "That doesn't sound that dangerous."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Paraphrased:

Octavia Spencer: "My bucket list item is to learn to belly-dance."

Graham: "That doesn't sound that dangerous."

Kevin’s reaction to that was worth any tedium caused by others on the couch

• Love 2

I thought this was a great couch. Everyone on the couch was fun. I felt a little bad for Naomi at times, like when she asked Kevin what a crab fest was, and apparently he didn't hear her. There were a couple of other times where she said something that was unheard or ignored. Still, I liked her a lot. Everyone else was great, too.

I was watching with my sister, and she didn't want to watch Shakespeare's Sister, so I FF'd thru that. I hadn't heard of them, and I'm curious about their song, so I may watch that part later.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:07 PM, peeayebee said:

I was watching with my sister, and she didn't want to watch Shakespeare's Sister, so I FF'd thru that. I hadn't heard of them, and I'm curious about their song, so I may watch that part later.

I flove that song!  I hadn't heard it in ages until a few months ago it came on some Sirius channel when I was driving.  I bought it on iTunes when I got home.  It's totally weird and I love it.  The performance wasn't as good as the original recording, IMO.  Anywho...give it a listen for sure.

Kevin Hart is always sort of too much for me, as is Will Smith.  This episode was no exception.