Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

I keep running across fic where Felicity is allergic to nuts.  Is this canon, or fanon?  And if it's canon, from where?

There's a line from season one about her only encounter with drugs was a pot brownie in college, which would have been fine, but the brownies also contained nuts and she's allergic to them.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure its also cannon that she's creeped out by Kangaroos and thereby has some issues with Australia.  I didn't imagine that did I?

Yes she told Walter that she wanted to go to Australia but kangaroos freak her out and they're probably on signs everywhere there (or something like that).

Here you go:

1) Felicity is allergic to nuts (S01E19):

Felicity: So what are you going to do with all the Vertigo you bought?

Diggle:  Planning on having a party, Felicity?

Felicity:  My only experience with drugs was an encounter with a pot brownie my freshman year. By mistake. Which could have been fun... except I'm allergic to nuts.

2) Felicity is scared of kangaroos (S01E08):

Felicity (to Walter): How was your trip to Australia?  I've always wanted to go Down Under, just... I have this thing about kangaroos.  More of a phobia - they wig me out.  They look evil and I'm sure there are pictures of them on like everything everywhere in that country.

• Love 2

I just watched TASM2 and can I just say that one of my biggest fears on this show is for Felicity to become Gwen Stacy 2.0?

There are a lot of similar elements between Arrow and TASM that makes me fearful. 

• Felicity and Gwen are both geniuses in their fields. 
  • The main characters are in love with them (With Oliver it's more like than love, but he's getting there).
  • The main characters won't pursue a romantic relationship with them because of the life they lead
  • Gwen made Peter better just as Felicity makes Oliver better (both personally and as a hero)

God dammit. I don't want Felicity to be used as a plot device anymore. I hope that she stays alive because I never liked the whole "someone has to die in order for someone to become a hero" thing... I mean wasn't Tommy enough? 

While a part of me feels like no one is truly safe, besides Oliver. I'm not too worried about Felicity. I feel like they set-up Laurel more in a Rachel Dawes way than Felicity as Gwen. She's too popular to kill off, but hell, maybe they'll want to. At least we do know that for it to happen both the CW and WB would have to approve it. So they could pitch it, and it could be denied. It happened with TVD, they wanted to kill off Klaus, and the network didn't allow them to. Still, I'm not too worried at the moment. If they killed off Felicity or Diggle, I'd be out because they make Oliver likable - to me.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 8

From what the EPs have said, in the flashbacks Oliver is going from irresponsible frat boy to the stone cold killer we saw in the pilot.  Meanwhile, present day Oliver is moving in the opposite direction, first learning not to kill, then wanting to be a hero, and now opening up more and smiling as we saw in the last scene of the s2 finale.

Killing Tommy pushed him to become a killer.  Killing Moira made him realize that sacrificing himself to Slade wasn't going to work and he had to fight to save the city.

If Felicity dies, all it's going to do it push him back into the darkness (because as Sara said, she's the light he needs to let in).   Doesn't make sense to kill her in terms of the storyline, doesn't make sense to kill her off in terms of being a fan and critic favourite.

• Love 4

If Felicity dies, all it's going to do it push him back into the darkness

Yep at the moment Felicity, I would think, is pretty safe because those other deaths meant something to further Oliver's growth. Felicity represents one of the only light things in Oliver's life. To take that away would mean Oliver goes back to someone who doesn't smile. Seeing as this is a hero's journey (in spite of a few set backs in the second half of season 2) turning him back into the wonderful killer he was wouldn't make much sense.

• Love 2

I'm not worried. It's one thing to kill off a character unexpectedly to maintain drama, but it's another to kill off a fan favorite without having someone else to fill their shoes.  I'm not saying the other characters aren't well-liked, but Felicity is the Daryl Dixon of Arrow.  You just don't even think of going there unless you're REALLY sure it's not going to alienate a sizeable chunk of your audience.  It's not just the female Olicity shippers who would be upset either--she's a favorite of the male sci-fi geek crowd too.  The showrunners and the network aren't insane.  Yes, the show is ultimately about Oliver Queen, but from what I've observed, a lot of people would not be okay with the show without Felicity--love interest or not.

• Love 8

I really hope EBR stays on because I don't think I could take Felicity's death :p

It'll be just like Will

dying

on TGW: shocking, heartbreaking, drama-inducing, tear-jerking, madness. 

Ugh I'm still not over it tbqh. Nor am I over Matthew's death in Downton Abbey. I honestly stopped watching after he died :/ 

I think this episode is truly Felicity centric. Both Colton and Paul Blackthorne are in LA and Stephen will leave for Toronto's Fan Expo during the week. It seems like we will see more and more of Felicity Smoak which is great because apparently episode 3x03 and 3x04 are very low on Felicity. Can't wait to see her doing wonderful things on screen this November.

• Love 2

I think it's great that the episode's writer is so positive about EBR's performance, and then I remember that MG tweeted about KC's "Emmy-winning performance" and then I'm not so optimistic.

SA is at FanExpo on Saturday and Sunday so he still could be shooting today and tomorrow.  Hopefully they've scheduled EBR's flashbacks for Friday and Monday to give him a bit of a break.

Yups, saw that just now but I think I saw him tweeting the award show last night from LA. My bad.

I think it's great that the episode's writer is so positive about EBR's performance, and then I remember that MG tweeted about KC's "Emmy-winning performance" and then I'm not so optimistic.

SA is at FanExpo on Saturday and Sunday so he still could be shooting today and tomorrow. Hopefully they've scheduled EBR's flashbacks for Friday and Monday to give him a bit of a break.

Stephen posted it on his FB that he will be in Toronto for Fan Expo on Friday as well because this is his light week.

SA is at FanExpo on Saturday and Sunday so he still could be shooting today and tomorrow. Hopefully they've scheduled EBR's flashbacks for Friday and Monday to give him a bit of a break.

Actually he mentioned on Facebook that he had a light shooting schedule for this episode and extended his con appearance to Friday as well.

Did anyone make any noise about EBR's performance(s) in the final three episodes of season 2?

No, they didn't. Only reviewers complimenting EBR on her speech to Oliver in 222. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Moved my comments here about a line Felicity makes in the digital comics:

"You need to be in my bed."

I don't mind the slip. Felicity slips up only when she is nervous or amped up and I imagine that situation makes her a little nervous. Descriptions of her character would have you believe she does it all the time. But I found there's always sort of a reason behind the slips. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will, LOL!), but I think she only did it twice in the second season. The "I love spending the night with you" came while she and Oliver were arguing. And the second time is the "Maybe he thinks he penetrates just fine" line. Barry was questioning her about the Arrow so she was a bit nervous and that came out.

Did anyone make any noise about EBR's performance(s) in the final three episodes of season 2?

@ArrowLimbo, nothing from the EPs or anyone associated with the production, but they may have learned the lesson after some fans (including me) mocked the "Emmy-worthy performance" they kept touting in the middle part of the season. More importantly, though, critics like Maureen Ryan of Huffington Post and Alan Sepinwall of HitFix made sure to point our EBR's performance in that episode and her importance to the show in their reviews.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

I'll never get the praise for that scene...Emily just isn't that strong dramatically to me. 

I think that beyond Oliver, Felicity is the safest character on the show, unless EBR decides she wants out.

I'd say Roy, Diggle and whomever becomes the Canary is safer. Though Dig is likely my wishful thinking (along with Thea) 

@ArrowLimbo, nothing from the EPs or anyone associated with the production, but they may have learned the lesson after some fans (including me) mocked the "Emmy-worthy performance" they kept touting in the middle part of the season. More importantly, though, critics like Maureen Ryan of Huffington Post and Alan Sepinwall of HitFix made sure to point our EBR's performance in that episode and her importance to the show in their reviews.

EBR also got a honourable mention for Performer of the Week by tvline for Felicity's "you are not done fighting" speech. 

I'll never get the praise for that scene...Emily just isn't that strong dramatically to me.

I have issues with how she delivered the "just the thought of losing someone" speech to Oliver and if I was being picky, I'd have preferred a slightly different pacing when she was tying to convince him not to accept having to sacrifice his life but when it came to the "And you are not done fighting yet" scene, start to finish, I thought that she blew it out of the park.  I still get goose bumps watching her delivery.  I believed every second of it.  Very powerful IMO. 

• Love 8

I'd say Roy, Diggle and whomever becomes the Canary is safer. Though Dig is likely my wishful thinking (along with Thea) 

Yeah, no way. She's a popular character (so popular, in fact, that they're using her to try to bring audiences to The Flash), she is the most asked about female (arguably the most asked about character) in the cast, and she's part of a popular ship. Nearly everything they've teased this off-season has something to do with Felicity. I don't know what'll happen down the line, but at this point there's no way they kill her off before Roy, Diggle and/or Sara/Laurel.

• Love 8
(so popular, in fact, that they're using her to try to bring audiences to The Flash),

Was that confirmed? I think Stephen in the premiere is more of that than Felicity. Her Flash appearance is something that is more organic than Oliver. 

I think she isn't as safe. I don't think she'll be killed but based on the comics Roy and BC are safe. 

I'm not sure how well twitter represents the audience, but Felicity makes up the overwhelming majority of what people tweet to Guggenheim and the Arrow Writers about. I've also noticed that Felicity is one of the only characters to consistently manage to trend on twitter. Felicity in the show is so popular that they're even adding her to the comics, when they could have just as easily added some version of the (Black) Canary (Sara or Laurel).

In my opinion, there is no way CW/WB/DC would let the writers kill Felicity (I don't think the writers would ever even consider it). I don't think I'd watch Arrow without Felicity.

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 7

I wish Emily didn't rush the "you can't just accept things" speech because she kinda slurred some of the lines there but the emotions were there so it still got me. But the clocktower speech? I thought she killed that. Had goosebumps when I was watching it. So did the "Go get Thea" line. That gave me chills. Understated but powerful, IMO. The thing is, Felicity (and Emily) doesn't get a ton of dramatic moments. But I think when she does get them she does an amazing job.

• Love 5
I'm not sure how well twitter represents the audience

From my experience from Smallville...the most vocal fandom doesn't equal the biggest or the one that brings the ratings (not that anyone was talking about ratings) so twitter trending could just be however many people in a fandom repeatedly tweeting. 

While I'm not sure how well twitter represents the general audience (I'm not even sure how well Nielsen ratings represent the audience), I'm pretty sure that the network/writers do take into account what is talked about/trended on twitter. In my opinion, twitter is really one of the only ways that networks/writers can get a feel for what people like/don't like.

I think that Felicity's popularity (on twitter and otherwise) and subsequent addition to the comics means that she is the safest character next to Oliver. The only way that I can see Felicity dying is if EBR wanted to leave the show and even then I think they'd keep her alive so she could come back occasionally. 

• Love 2

Was that confirmed? I think Stephen in the premiere is more of that than Felicity. Her Flash appearance is something that is more organic than Oliver. 

I think she isn't as safe. I don't think she'll be killed but based on the comics Roy and BC are safe.

Was what confirmed? The EP's aren't going to outright say they're using a character to lure in an audience, but that's what they're doing. Her visit to Central City was mentioned several times during CC, and Grant Gustin's talked about it in a few interviews for The Flash. No one's really mentioned Stephen's appearance in the pilot to the same effect. Mainly because Felicity's actually involved in the plot and Stephen just had a cameo.

• Love 3

I'm not sure how well twitter represents the audience, but Felicity makes up the overwhelming majority of what people tweet to Guggenheim and the Arrow Writers about. I've also noticed that Felicity is one of the only characters to consistently manage to trend on twitter. Felicity in the show is so popular that they're even adding her to the comics, when they could have just as easily added some version of the (Black) Canary (Sara or Laurel).

In my opinion, there is no way CW/WB/DC would let the writers kill Felicity (I don't think the writers would ever even consider it). I don't think I'd watch Arrow without Felicity.

The character is definitely popular on Twitter and Tumblr, and even on Facebook, judging from the amount of Olicity- and Felicity-related questions and posts made to Stephen's and Arrow's pages. And I'm sure CW, WB and DC have other ways to measure audience response to characters (even story developments; I wonder if networks still do focus groups?). The decision to move Felicity to the forefront on the TV show and add her to the comics tell me TPTB are seeing something that convinced them she helps move the meter. So yeah, I would consider her safe, after Oliver. And yeah, I'm definitely not watching "Arrow" without Felicity. She definitely helped convince me to give the show a chance in the first season.

Oh, and Nielsen's has added a social media component to its measurements called Nielsen Social. What's trending on Twitter, what's getting tweeted is being taken into account these days.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6

I heard plenty of talk of Stephen's cameo back in may actually...many fans were excited for it (and even more so once the pilot was leaked).

I'm not talking about fans, I'm talking about the producers, who are hyping up Felicity's visit to Central City to get people to tune in - which was the point of my post.

Sometimes a character is popular with a small number of the fans but not with everyone. However with Felicity the first people who really wanted her back were the EPs, followed by the WB executive and she's got a lot of praise from critics as well as fans in general.

When they want the audience to like a character, they pair him with Felicity as a love interest, first Barry Allen 

and now Ray Palmer

.  She's the character they used to tie the Flash to Arrow last season and keep him in the audience's minds, and while Oliver is appearing on The Flash in ep 1, which makes sense as Barry Allen learns to use his power, Felicity is going over on ep 4 

to help Barry's friends adjust.

Just because Roy is now on the team doesn't necessarily mean he's safe.  Tommy Merlyn should have been safe because isn't he the Dark Archer in the comics?

If they can kill one Canary (Sara, although I hope they don't), they can kill another and let Sin move into the spot later.

And if they ever want to really hurt Oliver again and send him down a dark path maybe in s6, Diggle, Oliver's mentor and brother-in-arms will die.  Or Thea.  Or maybe even Felicity that far down the line. But I think she's pretty safe for the next 3 seasons.

ETA:  from the Laurel Lance thread:  

I recently started the series from the beginning.  I was one of the viewers that quit in S1 because Laurel frustrated me and I didn't see a future for this show that I wanted to see.  I came back after catching a random S2 episode with Felicity, and then it was all over for me.

This is why I think Felicity is pretty safe.  There is a sizable portion of the audience who either quit watching or were ready to quit, and then Felicity came on and we were watching again. If they ever do decide to get rid of Felicity, they need to have this portion of the audience hooked enough that we won't leave and that's not such an easy task.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

Sometimes a character is popular with a small number of the fans but not with everyone. However with Felicity the first people who really wanted her back were the EPs, followed by the WB executive and she's got a lot of praise from critics as well as fans in general.

When they want the audience to like a character, they pair him with Felicity as a love interest, first Barry Allen 

and now Ray Palmer

.  She's the character they used to tie the Flash to Arrow last season and keep him in the audience's minds, and while Oliver is appearing on The Flash in ep 1, which makes sense as Barry Allen learns to use his power, Felicity is going over on ep 4 

to help Barry's friends adjust.

ETA:  from the Laurel Lance thread:  

This is why I think Felicity is pretty safe.  There is a sizable portion of the audience who either quit watching or were ready to quit, and then Felicity came on and we were watching again. If they ever do decide to get rid of Felicity, they need to have this portion of the audience hooked enough that we won't leave and that's not such an easy task.

I too was one of those people.

I stopped watching Arrow after the second episode because that episode was one big giant clusterfuck.

Then I was visiting a friend who's into comics and she made me watch episode 18 which started with Felicity ogling at a shirtless Oliver hanging from the beam and I was hooked. It also helped that Laurel did not interact at all with Team Arrow.

I then watched the whole season when it became available on Netflix and then watched season 2 live, well most episodes, so yes, Felicity brought me back to the show and so many others.

They have to be suicidal to want her off the show.

Emily is under contract till the end of season 4 and I am sure she is gonna stick around for longer if the show continues.

• Love 1
There is a sizable portion of the audience who either quit watching or were ready to quit,

I think sizable may be exaggerating it some. 

Pretty much every interview about The Flash that came out of SDCC mentioned Felicity coming to Central City -- not just the EPs, but also the actors commented on it.

It wasn't a focus though imo. 

Everything was mentioned in every interview. Multiple ones mentioned Tommy's returned for instance.  

She's a popular character (so popular, in fact, that they're using her to try to bring audiences to The Flash)

I noticed the other day that the official Facebook page of The Flash had a video with the cast and Greg Berlanti. What was the blurb they used to tease the video? "Will the romance continue between Arrow's Felicity Smoak and Barry Allen? #TheFlash cast answers more of your questions in this Fan Q&A." So yeah, definitely using her to pull in viewers.

• Love 2

I wish Emily didn't rush the "you can't just accept things" speech because she kinda slurred some of the lines there but the emotions were there so it still got me. But the clocktower speech? I thought she killed that. Had goosebumps when I was watching it. So did the "Go get Thea" line. That gave me chills. Understated but powerful, IMO. The thing is, Felicity (and Emily) doesn't get a ton of dramatic moments. But I think when she does get them she does an amazing job.

This is why I feel like I'm being picky when I mention the pacing.  I would have liked it just a hair slower but the expression and body language that was going on in that scene sold the emotions so I still love it. 

The "Do whatever it takes" scene was understated and powerful.  It cut through everything, all the chaos, all the confusion and the conflicting voices.  It was like this calm settled on Oliver and there was no one else in the arrow cave.  Really well done I thought. 

Edited to note that I basically repeated your choice of words "understated and powerful" without even realizing it. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

The "Do whatever it takes" is probably my favourite Felicity speech/lines for the whole of season 2. It scared the bejeezuz out of me. The first thing I thought was "Aaah she's chanelling Moira!" It was an awesome scene and I was really surprised it wasn't that talked about. Well some reviews took the time to mention it but very little actual dissection of it.

I agree with @BkWurm1 it cut through all the BS and focused Oliver. It was wonderful.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 3

@wingster55, I do agree that it's not fair to say sizable when we don't know what the majority of the fandom thinks. But I think it is fair to say that a sizable amount of the internet fandom like Oliver/Felicity. Most places I've seen mostly favor Olicity or are neutral about them.

I have concerns about Felicity dying as well. But I don't think they'd do it now because the series is still relatively new and it's not really news when I say that Felicity and Olicity bring in the most hype. They were the most talked about couple and character (apart from Oliver) on various media sites, they were the most talked about aspect on the show (online), and because of that, they brought in business. 

As long as Felicity and Olicity continue bringing in that much business I'm pretty sure Felicity is safe from her untimed demise. So, unless Digg, Roy, or Laurel can drum up the same business, I'd say they're less safe than Felicity. Because in the end, creative writing means nothing if WB or DC don't allow it. And DC and WB will always go where the money is. 

[PS. GO ROGAAAAHHHHHH :p I'm so excited! I hope he does well ETA: Is it just me or does he have an easier draw this year?]

Edited by wonderwall