Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Little House On The Prairie

Recommended Posts

I saw the Injun kid yesterday, and I dont know if I had seen it before.  I was very impressed how firm the mom was about not letting her father punish her son.  Usually the women let the men decide but she really stood up for his heritage and ideas, which was great.  It was heartbreaking to see the boy surrounded by the boys that wanted to beat him up, though.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

40 minutes ago, Zella said:

(Though of course by LHOTP standards, the fire was total child's play.)

Right? No babies died or went blind! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Right? No babies died or went blind! 

Yeah "only" nearly burning down the barn is the LHOTP equivalent of "It's just a flesh wound!" LOLOL 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I saw the Injun kid yesterday, and I dont know if I had seen it before.  I was very impressed how firm the mom was about not letting her father punish her son.  Usually the women let the men decide but she really stood up for his heritage and ideas, which was great.  It was heartbreaking to see the boy surrounded by the boys that wanted to beat him up, though.  

Although there were inaccuracies in show, I was just discussing with a friend who studied Native Americans how they would take the children off the reservation, teach them Christian ideas, change how they dress and traumatize them. One short passage "Children were typically immersed in European-American culture through forced changes that removed indigenous cultural signifiers. These methods included being forced to have European-American style haircuts, being forbidden to speak their Indigenous languages, and having their real names replaced by European names to both "civilize" and "Christianize" them.[3] The experience of the schools was usually harsh and sometimes deadly, especially for the younger children who were forcibly separated from their families. The children were forced to abandon their Native American identities and cultures.[3] Investigations of the later twentieth century have revealed many documented[4] cases of sexual, manual, physical and mental abuse occurring mostly in church-run[5] schools.

His grandfather was doing the same thing and I liked how Caroline (different from books) was her friend. I liked how he came around and I hated the abuse but LHOP didn't have too many shows with just picnics and parties. (I use those to veg out with on bad days)

I never liked Mary's punishment, she should have gotten more chores etc. She's smart so lets take the prize away. Laura can run away and visit old men after she is told not too and steal music boxes, deliberately botch a dress or meal, but that's okay. It was the babies fault, Nellie's fault, Pa's fault, anyone's fault but Laura's.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I never liked Mary's punishment, she should have gotten more chores etc. She's smart so lets take the prize away.

I kinda get the rationale here, because it wasn't for a grade, it was a competition, and her trying to win the competition is why she almost burned down the barn. Not sure it was the best punishment, but it was focused on something that was important to Mary.

I 100% get why that's what Ma said in the heat of the moment, but she could have reconsidered when she calmed down and had a talk with Mary about specifically why that was her punishment, or possibly changing it (not cancelling it).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, jird said:

I kinda get the rationale here, because it wasn't for a grade, it was a competition, and her trying to win the competition is why she almost burned down the barn. Not sure it was the best punishment, but it was focused on something that was important to Mary.

I 100% get why that's what Ma said in the heat of the moment, but she could have reconsidered when she calmed down and had a talk with Mary about specifically why that was her punishment, or possibly changing it (not cancelling it).

I agree.

On the other hand, I was a bit surprised that Laura didn't attempt to gloat (either to Mary or just herself) that Mary was FINALLY getting punished for something instead of being treated as though she was perfect by Ma while Laura was usually the one scolded if not punished. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like Laura got away with way more shit than Mary ever dreamed of. 

It was one reason I started to hate her. Lol

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

I feel like Laura got away with way more shit than Mary ever dreamed of. 

It was one reason I started to hate her. Lol

I think that's true when she was older, but when they were little, Laura was always getting reprimanded for things that Mary got away with, like Mary being mean about Johnny Johnson, while Laura got scolded for saying bad things about Nellie. I also remember Mary smacking Laura's hand when Laura tried to touch Ma's dress material, and Ma and Pa just laughed like it was cute.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, jird said:

I think that's true when she was older, but when they were little, Laura was always getting reprimanded for things that Mary got away with, like Mary being mean about Johnny Johnson, while Laura got scolded for saying bad things about Nellie. I also remember Mary smacking Laura's hand when Laura tried to touch Ma's dress material, and Ma and Pa just laughed like it was cute.

That makes sense! It didn't stand out to me as much because it seemed like normal kid stuff that isn't great whereas the things that Laura did that she didn't get in trouble for usually bordered on assault or trespass, and that did just baffled me. 

I will admit, I forever loved Mary after Laura got mad at her about Johnny Johnson (whose appeal completely escaped me) and Mary's response was "WTF--why?!" because it mirrored my own reaction. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, jird said:

I think that's true when she was older, but when they were little, Laura was always getting reprimanded for things that Mary got away with, like Mary being mean about Johnny Johnson, while Laura got scolded for saying bad things about Nellie. I also remember Mary smacking Laura's hand when Laura tried to touch Ma's dress material, and Ma and Pa just laughed like it was cute.

BTW, Miss Gilbert in her autobio recalled Miss Anderson going above beyond giving her a light tap on the hand but slapping her (Miss Gilbert) hard enough to be on the verge of tears from the sting- and this would seem to be one of the main reasons all these decades  Miss Gilbert has been  no more than, at best, civil when necessary to Miss Anderson. 

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

BTW, Miss Gilbert in her autobio recalled Miss Anderson going above beyond giving her a light tap on the hand but slapping her (Miss Gilbert) hard enough to be on the verge of tears from the sting- and this would seem to be one of the main reasons all these decades  Miss Gilbert has been  no more than, at best, civil when necessary to Miss Anderson. 

I think I also watched Gilbert saying that Anderson nearly shoved her out of the wagon?! 

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Zella said:

I think I also watched Gilbert saying that Anderson nearly shoved her out of the wagon?! 

Possibly so, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't recall that in her autobio. 

Alas, Miss Gilbert's dislike of Miss Anderson somewhat made those rare scenes in which Laura declared her love and closeness for her elder sister seem a bit hollow. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Possibly so, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't recall that in her autobio. 

I've not read her book, so it very well may not be in there! I watched a clip about it. Let me see if I can find it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not finding it, but it was from within the past few years, and she was talking to a male host. If I ever stumble across it, I will definitely post it! Or if someone else finds it, I will be eternally grateful. :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, debraran said:

Although there were inaccuracies in show, I was just discussing with a friend who studied Native Americans how they would take the children off the reservation, teach them Christian ideas, change how they dress and traumatize them. One short passage "Children were typically immersed in European-American culture through forced changes that removed indigenous cultural signifiers. These methods included being forced to have European-American style haircuts, being forbidden to speak their Indigenous languages, and having their real names replaced by European names to both "civilize" and "Christianize" them.[3] The experience of the schools was usually harsh and sometimes deadly, especially for the younger children who were forcibly separated from their families. The children were forced to abandon their Native American identities and cultures.[3] Investigations of the later twentieth century have revealed many documented[4] cases of sexual, manual, physical and mental abuse occurring mostly in church-run[5] schools.

 

These continued for a long time. My mom went to a government Indian boarding school in the 30s-40s. The conditions were much better, but they did not teach or encourage the use of the tribal language, for example.

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jird said:

These continued for a long time. My mom went to a government Indian boarding school in the 30s-40s. The conditions were much better, but they did not teach or encourage the use of the tribal language, for example.

I'm sorry your mom experienced that. Just the other day I was reading some stories of Native American women who served as military nurses during WWII. Every single one of them was asked if they had a hard time getting used to military discipline, and every single one was like "Nah, I actually thought it was pretty easy discipline-wise compared to the boarding schools we went to." :( 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

That's funny, my mom was a military nurse!

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've read and heard a lot about LHOP and cast. Obviously Melissa G and Alison didn't like MSA as children and thought she was "aloof" and stayed by herself a lot. I don't think being as professional as she was, she would have slapped her hard on purpose (unless they had words earlier but her mom was there a lot) I don't recall MG saying anyone cared. It seemed to hype their books, they said some lame and somewhat catty things about MSA but the adult cast loved her. Michael said nice things about her, the Oleson's, "Alice", Miss Beadle, etc. I'm not saying MSA was a saint, but she doesn't deserve the snark. She moved to Canada and raised a family and couldn't attend some things others did but why would she after the pot shots?

Her character was a pain at times but in the books she was "like a mom" and Caroline expected her to watch Laura. Laura was able to get away with a lot on the show and I never felt she got the short end of the stick.

I also admire that no matter what the 2 girls said in books etc, Melissa Sue never would do it back. She would just say they weren't close or compliment Alison. I think that is classy, something others took longer to get.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think in Allison's book, she said that the only time Melissa Sue acted nice and like "one of the girls" is when one of them had a birthday party at an amusement park.  She said she was super nice and normal.  But on the set, she was always cold and aloof.  She seemed to think her mother had a lot to do with that.

Melissa G also said that since Melissa Sue was a bit older, she also "matured" faster than her and she felt that she was out of her league and that distanced them being friends as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So I'm watching "Ma Cuts Her Leg and Almost Dies." I came in about 5 minutes late. I know she was told to lock the door, and gave the peroxide to Charles and the girls, but do we see how she cut her leg in the first place? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Superclam said:

So I'm watching "Ma Cuts Her Leg and Almost Dies." I came in about 5 minutes late. I know she was told to lock the door, and gave the peroxide to Charles and the girls, but do we see how she cut her leg in the first place? 

I think she scratches it on some wire. But don't quote me on that. :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yup there was a piece of wire sticking out on the wagon and she scrathed her leg.

She was told to lock the door because they were reading about burgalries in neighboring towns in the area and she was worried.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

did they  ever say what type of pies she was making?

8 hours ago, Superclam said:

Thanks, I guess that happened in the first few minutes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

did they  ever say what type of pies she was making?

 

Dunno but maybe the Ingallses should have gotten a pie safe then they wouldn't have had to worry about their only valuable commodity getting stolen  instead of having to lock the door!

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I assumed she was making a few different types. I know they were for a church social event. 

Share this post


Link to post

No offence to Lucy Lee Flippin but they did Eliza Jane Wilder dirty by the casting.

e88ed88fb0581ef374be09408d014612.jpg.051c92455167f2a745ab39468dccb4c6.jpg

downloadfile.jpg.8e755ea098edad30077e5c4f7f82fc85.jpg

Also realized recently she looks like Mr Bean's girlfriend:

059914400_1565255104-Irma_Gobb.jpg.97c8c2fd1747777f7cde2b45f14aeb43.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh God she does look like Mr. Bean's girlfriend! (Incidentally, I was shaken a few months ago when I actually saw Mr. Bean's girlfriend in something else, wondered why she looked familiar, and then realized why.) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I felt so bad for Eliza Jane in the show, but she was a pretty major bitch in the books. That personality rewrite was interesting. I always wondered how Manly felt about the depiction of his sister in the books. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I felt so bad for Eliza Jane in the show, but she was a pretty major bitch in the books. That personality rewrite was interesting. I always wondered how Manly felt about the depiction of his sister in the books. 

I was surprised when I read the part with Eliza Jane in the book. I guess the real Almanzo knew EJ was really like that? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

image.png.b231953e7f2113e37fa8135a4dd359aa.png

Swollen leg aside, Ma did have pretty hair. I liked seeing it down and during "Handyman"

So grateful for the things we have for healthcare today. So many died without penicillin or other topical antibiotics.

The only time a burglar is mentioned so she'd lock the door. I would think that wouldn't matter but a plot device. I also never understood why Caroline wanted a lock for her door because she was afraid of wolves etc. They open doors?This was when they moved into the house from the sod house. That had a door too. In books, they had a quilt once I think and that I could see being afraid of .

 

 

 

Edited by debraran
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

35 minutes ago, debraran said:

image.png.b231953e7f2113e37fa8135a4dd359aa.png

Swollen leg aside, Ma did have pretty hair. I liked seeing it down and during "Handyman"

So grateful for the things we have for healthcare today. So many died without penicillin or other topical antibiotics.

The only time a burglar is mentioned so she'd lock the door. I would think that wouldn't matter but a plot device. I also never understood why Caroline wanted a lock for her door because she was afraid of wolves etc. They open doors?This was when they moved into the house from the sod house. That had a door too. In books, they had a quilt once I think and that I could see being afraid of .

 

 

 

Oh, 'The Handyman'!

 

I thought it was a bit much (and would have likely shot TRL Ma's eyebrows to the sky) when 'Chris' insisted that the girls address him as such first thing instead of 'Mr.____" first thing  . It was still  super-casual (even in California) for an adult man to do that for minor females in the 1970's and so to it would have been virtually unthinkable for the Midwest in the 1870's!

Although, I did like Caroline's scathing self-defense when Mary all-but-called her a Jezebel re how she had conducted herself with Chris, I wish she hadn't let Mary off the hook when Mary blubbered 'Please LOVE me again!". Instead, I think Caroline should have hugged Mary tight and said 'Oh, Mary! You're my daughter and no matter what, I'll always love you! But right now, I don't like you and it's going to take a LOT of effort on your part for me to do so after the way you just talked to me! ' - then let Mary stew in her own on that! 

However, you are right about how vulnerable folks without modern medicine (although herbal folk remedies often were rather useful to people- and many of them became bases to the pharmaceutical ones used today). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I know Doc Baker was gonna take  a look at Ma's leg but then someone came up and said their was a emergency but you think Doc Baker coudl have taken 5 seconds to just look. Not blaming him at all but I have a feeling in real life, he wasn't leaving till that leg got looked at

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

did they  ever say what type of pies she was making?

 

Whatever they were, they survived the storm much better than Caroline.  The pies were sitting on a ledge right outside the front door covered with a cloth.  There was a roof overhang, but the way that rain was coming down in buckets and the wind was blowing, those pies would have been a soggy mess in reality.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, 'The Handyman'!

 

I thought it was a bit much (and would have likely shot TRL Ma's eyebrows to the sky) when 'Chris' insisted that the girls address him as such first thing instead of 'Mr.____" first thing  . It was still  super-casual (even in California) for an adult man to do that for minor females in the 1970's and so to it would have been virtually unthinkable for the Midwest in the 1870's!

Although, I did like Caroline's scathing self-defense when Mary all-but-called her a Jezebel re how she had conducted herself with Chris, I wish she hadn't let Mary off the hook when Mary blubbered 'Please LOVE me again!". Instead, I think Caroline should have hugged Mary tight and said 'Oh, Mary! You're my daughter and no matter what, I'll always love you! But right now, I don't like you and it's going to take a LOT of effort on your part for me to do so after the way you just talked to me! ' - then let Mary stew in her own on that! 

However, you are right about how vulnerable folks without modern medicine (although herbal folk remedies often were rather useful to people- and many of them became bases to the pharmaceutical ones used today). 

I know if she dared to do that with Widow Thurman (she just embarrassed herself) Pa would have said more than Ma for sure! (unless it was Laura) ; )

Yes herbs can do a lot but infections need more care. You have to be on it pretty quickly even now. My friend had a cat scratch her and in a few hours had a red line going up her arm from the scratch even though cleaned. She needed IV therapy.

I don't think the writers researched the 'uncle" part well but thought we needed to know he was like family to them. and couldn't figure that out ourselves.  I really loved how he was kind to Carrie and she laughed and had more lines I think and time on screen than ever. He actually seemed kinder to her than the family usually was.

image.png.55d37d8e9d46190e3bd0e98c19ab26aa.pngimage.png.d1e78a26ce7692fe685f261749f36d94.png

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Although, I did like Caroline's scathing self-defense when Mary all-but-called her a Jezebel re how she had conducted herself with Chris, I wish she hadn't let Mary off the hook when Mary blubbered 'Please LOVE me again!". Instead, I think Caroline should have hugged Mary tight and said 'Oh, Mary! You're my daughter and no matter what, I'll always love you! But right now, I don't like you and it's going to take a LOT of effort on your part for me to do so after the way you just talked to me! ' - then let Mary stew in her own on that! 

Like? No, no one ever just likes on Little House, they only love everybody. Just like new kids we saw on one episode and never heard about again. They weren't ever just Laura's friends, they were always her best friends.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Lucy Lee Flippin may have been a plain jane by TV standards, but she was an excellent performer. I think back to the episode where she just found out that Harv was marrying someone else. Zaldamo was complaining to him about Laura and wanted EJ to mend his shirt. She lowered her voice an octave, told him off, and pretty much just blew him off the screen. It was one of the rare times LLF had decent material to work with. EJ could have been a great character, but most of the time came across as a cartoon.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Lucy Lee Flippin may have been a plain jane by TV standards, but she was an excellent performer. I think back to the episode where she just found out that Harv was marrying someone else. Zaldamo was complaining to him about Laura and wanted EJ to mend his shirt. She lowered her voice an octave, told him off, and pretty much just blew him off the screen. It was one of the rare times LLF had decent material to work with. EJ could have been a great character, but most of the time came across as a cartoon.

I agree! Miss Flippen played Flo Castleberry's younger and overwhelmed  spinster sister Fran in Flo (1980-81) who was mainly a comic foil for the wilder title character and the stooge for their bitter, overwhelming mother but every so often, she'd chomp at the bit and, though this never got explored to any length in the shortlived sitcom, this viewer got the idea that Fran was gaining more self-confidence with Flo's presence and one might imagine that she'd one day be capable of finally overcoming their mother's guilt trips to live her own life (though she'd never be anything like Flo). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, debraran said:

image.png.b231953e7f2113e37fa8135a4dd359aa.png

Swollen leg aside, Ma did have pretty hair. I liked seeing it down and during "Handyman"

It shouldn't be a surprise the actresses would look different outside the show but still, wow.

karengrassle03.jpg.886ca67548283eb23563a1f5b9105df7.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

It shouldn't be a surprise the actresses would look different outside the show but still, wow.

karengrassle03.jpg.886ca67548283eb23563a1f5b9105df7.jpg

You realize that Miss Grassle wearing an ERA t-shirt would have been the equivalent of Ma wearing Bloomers in her day but Miss Grassle was by NO means unattractive- to say nothing of being less attractive than Mr. Landon (as he claimed was said by critics). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Pirpana said:

Like? No, no one ever just likes on Little House, they only love everybody. Just like new kids we saw on one episode and never heard about again. They weren't ever just Laura's friends, they were always her best friends.

And, no one is allowed to admit they hate anyone else (at least not around Ma)! In that Christmas rehash episode Albert had the temerity to ask the nearly-grown Laura when she started hating Nellie- and Ma sharply scolded him by saying 'We don't hate anyone!' 

Albert awkwardly rephrased the question (which led to Laura's recounting the whole Bunny and Nellie fake paralysis saga)  but I wish Laura had said ,"Speak for yourself, Ma! I hated Nellie and it was mutual until very recently and I don't care who knows it- including you!" 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The way they handled social situations with Nellie was really dumb to me. And this extends to Harriet too. Why keep inviting them to things? Why keep accepting their invitations? They really enabled both of their worst behavior. And every time they were awful yet again, it was met with surprise. Where have you dumb Ingalls been? Have you never met Harriet and Nellie? Do you not remember the dozens of other times they've been awful?  

I finally got to where I actually liked the Olesons and rooted for them over the Ingalls. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, debraran said:

I know if she dared to do that with Widow Thurman (she just embarrassed herself) Pa would have said more than Ma for sure! (unless it was Laura) ; )

Yes herbs can do a lot but infections need more care. You have to be on it pretty quickly even now. My friend had a cat scratch her and in a few hours had a red line going up her arm from the scratch even though cleaned. She needed IV therapy.

I don't think the writers researched the 'uncle" part well but thought we needed to know he was like family to them. and couldn't figure that out ourselves.  I really loved how he was kind to Carrie and she laughed and had more lines I think and time on screen than ever. He actually seemed kinder to her than the family usually was.

image.png.55d37d8e9d46190e3bd0e98c19ab26aa.pngimage.png.d1e78a26ce7692fe685f261749f36d94.png

You're right! It seemed especially after the first year that virtually all the Ingallses considered her to be an annoyance to endure caring for rather than someone whose company they enjoyed. The Handyman was more attentive to her than Charles or Caroline wound up being- and it seemed only Mr. Oleson ,Mr. Edwards, Doc Baker and Reveradn Alden liked her rather than just  tolerated her like the others. I can't recall Grace Snyder Edwards or any of the Garveys or Wilders having much if anything to do with her. 

Strangely enough when Harriet took over Laura's classroom and Albert attempted a coup by having all the students behave like wild banshees, Carrie alone just sullenly (and silently ) sat in her pew and interacted with none of them. One wonders if whichever Greenbush twin may have been in that scene might have wished to join the other performers' anarchy (which seemed to be more fun than just sullenly sitting) . Of course, neither Harriet nor Laura gave her ANY credit for actually being the one student to refuse to participate in this action. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

You're right! It seemed especially after the first year that virtually all the Ingallses considered her to be an annoyance to endure caring for rather than someone whose company they enjoyed. The Handyman was more attentive to her than Charles or Caroline wound up being- and it seemed only Mr. Oleson ,Mr. Edwards, Doc Baker and Reveradn Alden liked her rather than just  tolerated her like the others. I can't recall Grace Snyder Edwards or any of the Garveys or Wilders having much if anything to do with her. 

Strangely enough when Harriet took over Laura's classroom and Albert attempted a coup by having all the students behave like wild banshees, Carrie alone just sullenly (and silently ) sat in her pew and interacted with none of them. One wonders if whichever Greenbush twin may have been in that scene might have wished to join the other performers' anarchy (which seemed to be more fun than just sullenly sitting) . Of course, neither Harriet nor Laura gave her ANY credit for actually being the one student to refuse to participate in this action. 

I forgot about that! That's because she didn't exist unless she fell into a well. (just a vehicle for others though) Still out of site.

Chris also made her a toy which you could see her playing with at the table as they dance, a wooden guy who moves when you pull the string.  What toy did she ever have that Pa made?

image.png.bb8347a7f2b82e57f8763579f20cec25.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Have either of the Greenbush twins spoken about the size of Carrie’s role in the later years? It would have been natural to shift some stories to Carrie as Laura got older, rather than bringing in Cassandra. I always assumed that Michael Landon didn’t think they were up to a bigger part, but maybe there was something else going on.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Kyle said:

Have either of the Greenbush twins spoken about the size of Carrie’s role in the later years? It would have been natural to shift some stories to Carrie as Laura got older, rather than bringing in Cassandra. I always assumed that Michael Landon didn’t think they were up to a bigger part, but maybe there was something else going on.

I listened to an interview Rachel Lindsay Greenbush and while she said that both Miss Arngrim and Miss Gilbert were happy to play with  the twins and Mr. Landon was perfectly professional to all the cast, Miss Greenbush oddly didn't mention that she had any kind of problem with them reducing Carrie's role - and she actually is quite articulate these days! 

What's odd is that after Mary went blind and Laura got to be an adult, in the books, LIW seemed to actually enjoy her younger sister's company more and considered her someone whose POV she valued (and TRL Carrie Ingalls Swanzey became a typesetter for   local newspapers , self-supporting and even filed a homestead claim before her marriage at age 41 [!] to a widower with two children). Sadly, as the show progressed, its   Carrie gave fewer and fewer indications of having any kind of spunk or determination whatsoever. 

https://www.walnutgrovecast.com/podcast/walnut-grovecast-an-interview-with-rachel-lindsay-greenbush/

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I listened to an interview Rachel Lindsay Greenbush and while she said that both Miss Arngrim and Miss Gilbert were happy to play with  the twins and Mr. Landon was perfectly professional to all the cast, Miss Greenbush oddly didn't mention that she had any kind of problem with them reducing Carrie's role - and she actually is quite articulate these days! 

What's odd is that after Mary went blind and Laura got to be an adult, in the books, LIW seemed to actually enjoy her younger sister's company more and considered her someone whose POV she valued (and TRL Carrie Ingalls Swanzey became a typesetter for   local newspapers , self-supporting and even filed a homestead claim before her marriage at age 41 [!] to a widower with two children). Sadly, as the show progressed, its   Carrie gave fewer and fewer indications of having any kind of spunk or determination whatsoever. 

https://www.walnutgrovecast.com/podcast/walnut-grovecast-an-interview-with-rachel-lindsay-greenbush/

This gives another view:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/little-house-on-the-prairie-michael-landon-never-made-it-fun-for-us-carrie-actor-lindsay-greenbush-said.html/

One quote from an interview:

Interestingly enough, she said the most difficult part of filming is that producers didn't really want Carrie to grow up. They wanted to keep her as young as possible on the NBC show."They wanted her to stay a little girl so they would write things for Carrie that would have been for a much younger child," Sidney explained.

I also read, but might be a rumor, that their mom wanted them to have more air time. The Godsister which was way too long at 90 min might have been a way to appease that and show limitations. It also wouldn't be in the normal reruns being longer.  I personally think there is a big difference between 90 min and 5 minutes. Having Carrie answer a question at school, say she's going to play with a friend, something other than just be there, would have been fine. She had nice moments with Mr Edwards and Chris the handyman.

Dan Bullock wrote the script so blame him for all the "Allysa's" : ) Mike directed.

 

 

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like the Ingalls should have been more worried about all the tools in the barn that could have been stolen not the stuff in the house

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I feel like the Ingalls should have been more worried about all the tools in the barn that could have been stolen not the stuff in the house

And the cows & chickens. I guess they took the horses. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously - what was in the house that someone would want? The clothes? The dishes? Certainly not the orphans who the Ingalls couldn’t give away even if they wanted to.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Myabe I missed it but before this episode did they even have a lock on their door?

 

I cant recall a episode befopre where they mentioned a lock

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size