Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am officially jealous, @Shadow Lass! Great picture. Thanks so much for sharing!

On another note, "Tru Luv", with Keith and his teacher/lover just ended, and the final scene of Logan telling Keith, "It's over" hits even sadder considering Anton Yelchin's life has been over now for around seven years (!) already. 😢

And doing the math, he really was a teen when that aired. He did a good job as Keith.

And now, "Siren Call" with Ashley the victim, blown off by everyone but her half sister, Emily, is airing.

ETA: The whole black outfit may be the reason, but VDO looks less bulky in that picture! (Though I don't much care; I like him either way. But he does look a tad thinner here.)

• Like 2

On another note, speaking of "Siren Call", I always loved the opening scene of Bobby waiting for Eames at her shrink appointment. (And kind of funny to know Bobby had driven - since he was going to drop Eames off when they got the call about Ashley!)

I do wonder if part of the reason Eames did come back to the job so soon was for Bobby as much as herself. I do recall the episode where Eames explained to Ross how Bobby didn't cope well with change. And subconsciously, maybe she felt safer with Bobby ("I told her I wasn't getting any better by myself!"). Their relationship always had a sense of symbiosis to me. Meaning, each got something they needed from the other. That closeness seemed to stabilize both. (Again, shippers and non-shippers can interpret as they wish!)

Their dynamic has always fascinated me. On a funny note, I loved Bobby's reaction outside of the brownstone, knowing Eames wasn't going to back down, just handing over the keys and putting his hands up, like, "Okay, you win!"

• Like 1
  • Love 2

"Albatross" "Privilege" with the Pagolis drama just ended. I really do like that episode. Xander Berkeley is so...gleeful...playing the sleazy hubby, and the case was pretty good.

Also loved the very rare scene of G/E just chatting together over drinks, too.

Good all around.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

"Privilege" with the Pagolis drama just ended. I really do like that episode. Xander Berkeley is so...gleeful...playing the sleazy hubby, and the case was pretty good.

Also loved the very rare scene of G/E just chatting together over drinks, too.

Good all around.

Albatross is the name of the episode with the Pagolis drama. Privilege is the one before it, about the death of the socialite who was killed by her uncle to cover up the fact that the uncle killed her mother years earlier I believe. I like both episodes, I liked Goren telling the guy was who neglecting his elderly mother and not giving her proper care in Privilege to “sit down and shut up” and in Albatross I also liked the case with the Pagolis’ and Goren/Eames investigation. The 3 episode run of World’s Fair/Privilege/Albatross is the best of season 6. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Albatross is the name of the episode with the Pagolis drama. Privilege is the one before it, about the death of the socialite who was killed by her uncle to cover up the fact that the uncle killed her mother years earlier I believe. I like both episodes, I liked Goren telling the guy was who neglecting his elderly mother and not giving her proper care in Privilege to “sit down and shut up” and in Albatross I also liked the case with the Pagolis’ and Goren/Eames investigation. The 3 episode run of World’s Fair/Privilege/Albatross is the best of season 6. 

Damn, I know that. "Privilege" is with Lady Harrington. Another brain fart. My bad!

Corrected the previous brain fart accordingly! 😎

• Like 3

Regarding "Albatross" (yay, correct title!) Bobby was right, though: If Maureen Pagolis wanted a political career sans scandals galore, she should have left her douchebag hubby. She had decades to do it. Maybe it's why I had little sympathy for her when it was uncovered that she knew about the plot to kill her husband.

I kind of hated how she seemed to be almost characterized as helpless regarding her fate, from Faith Yancy to her driver.

She had the means to exit regardless of her career. The fact that she never called hubby's bluff despite his threats just made her look dumb and weak.

Glad Alex seemed to drop her coddling nature towards Maureen by the end.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Regarding "Albatross" (yay, correct title!) Bobby was right, though: If Maureen Pagolis wanted a political career sans scandals galore, she should have left her douchebag hubby. She had decades to do it. Maybe it's why I had little sympathy for her when it was uncovered that she knew about the plot to kill her husband.

I kind of hated how she seemed to be almost characterized as helpless regarding her fate, from Faith Yancy to her driver.

She had the means to exit regardless of her career. The fact that she never called hubby's bluff despite his threats just made her look dumb and weak.

Glad Alex seemed to drop her coddling nature towards Maureen by the end.

I agree. Her husband raped her FFS.

• Like 2

Good season 1 episodes on today - I saw The Good Doctor, this is a really strong episode, with nasty control freak Dr Kelmer, I really like the investigation into the wife’s disappearance and how they dealt with Kelmer - I loved the court scenes, there were more court scenes in this one than in any other CI episode, and Carver was awesome in this one. The Goren/Eames investigation was good, and I liked how Goren got under Kelmer’s skin and was on to him from the start. Deakins had some good scenes as well. Very good episode, a straightforward case but really well done.

Watching The Third Horseman now, another strong episode, I like how Goren/Eames tracked down the shooter and figured out what his plan was. Carver did get on my nerves though, it seemed like he was letting his personal beliefs about abortion get in the way of him doing his job. About the only time in the show that Carver irritated me.

Good season 1 episodes on today - I saw The Good Doctor, this is a really strong episode, with nasty control freak Dr Kelmer, I really like the investigation into the wife’s disappearance and how they dealt with Kelmer - I loved the court scenes, there were more court scenes in this one than in any other CI episode, and Carver was awesome in this one. The Goren/Eames investigation was good, and I liked how Goren got under Kelmer’s skin and was on to him from the start. Deakins had some good scenes as well. Very good episode, a straightforward case but really well done.

Carver was awesome in this one and how about Goren? "Put me on the stand, I'll get him to talk."

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Carver was awesome in this one and how about Goren? "Put me on the stand, I'll get him to talk."

Yeah I loved how Goren got under Kelmer’s skin, Goren knew how to get inside the perps heads, and this was a great example of that. I liked how Goren got Kelmer to agree to let them search his apartment. Kelmer was such a manipulator and a smug control freak who thought he could get away with it, very memorable villain, and it was an interesting investigation. The court scenes were great and I loved seeing Carver in court prosecuting, he was such an underused character. Deakins had good scenes as well in this one. This was really a great episode, more straightforward than most CI cases, but very well done and compelling. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah I loved how Goren got under Kelmer’s skin, Goren knew how to get inside the perps heads, and this was a great example of that. I liked how Goren got Kelmer to agree to let them search his apartment. Kelmer was such a manipulator and a smug control freak who thought he could get away with it, very memorable villain, and it was an interesting investigation. The court scenes were great and I loved seeing Carver in court prosecuting, he was such an underused character. Deakins had good scenes as well in this one. This was really a great episode, more straightforward than most CI cases, but very well done and compelling. 

It's one of my favorites. Such strong performances from the whole cast. The Dr. was such a supercilious asshole "He's a civil servant! how tough can he be?"

• Like 1
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

It's one of my favorites. Such strong performances from the whole cast. The Dr. was such a supercilious asshole "He's a civil servant! how tough can he be?"

Yeah and it was creepy how controlling Kelmer was with his new girlfriend, demanding she get surgery and stuff to look “perfect”. Also he was very nasty to his wife’s family, yelling at them that he turned a shoe salesman’s daughter into a surgeon’s wife and didn’t get any thanks and blaming them for all her problems. Kelmer was one nasty, manipulative, egotistic villain, one of CI’s best. It’s one of my favorite CI episodes as well, really strong from start to finish. I really wish they had gone into court more often. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah and it was creepy how controlling Kelmer was with his new girlfriend, demanding she get surgery and stuff to look “perfect”. Also he was very nasty to his wife’s family, yelling at them that he turned a shoe salesman’s daughter into a surgeon’s wife and didn’t get any thanks and blaming them for all her problems. Kelmer was one nasty, manipulative, egotistic villain, one of CI’s best. It’s one of my favorite CI episodes as well, really strong from start to finish. I really wish they had gone into court more often. 

So do I. Carver was excellent and there was no reason not to show more trials. It's called Law & Order, FFS.

• Like 1

So do I. Carver was excellent and there was no reason not to show more trials. It's called Law & Order, FFS.

Yeah, it’s really a shame how underused Carver was, and then especially how they dropped the legal side entirely pretty much after Carver left. Carver was such a good character that I always enjoyed when he got more to work with. I loved seeing the trial in The Good Doctor. It was a really well done episode.

I just finished watching another episode with a creepy doctor, Crazy, with Dr Webb and Sara, that’s a great episode as well. I loved seeing Skoda assist them with the case. Good investigation and Webb was a memorable perp. No one was sympathetic or likable except for the kids in that one. And I’ve never really been able to figure out why Sara Lindstrom was stringing along Webb, she clearly wasn’t interested in him. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah, it’s really a shame how underused Carver was, and then especially how they dropped the legal side entirely pretty much after Carver left. Carver was such a good character that I always enjoyed when he got more to work with. I loved seeing the trial in The Good Doctor. It was a really well done episode.

I just finished watching another episode with a creepy doctor, Crazy, with Dr Webb and Sara, that’s a great episode as well. I loved seeing Skoda assist them with the case. Good investigation and Webb was a memorable perp. No one was sympathetic or likable except for the kids in that one. And I’ve never really been able to figure out why Sara Lindstrom was stringing along Webb, she clearly wasn’t interested in him. 

I guess after she found out he was a murderer and he threatened he, she was kind of stuck.

• Like 1

"The Good Doctor" was a good episode, but I was with Alex at the end; he was convicted because the jury didn't like him (for good reason). But this was the epitome of a circumstantial case.

The evidence really wasn't there.

But hey, a killer was still tossed in prison, so... *shrug*

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

"The Good Doctor" was a good episode, but I was with Alex at the end; he was convicted because the jury didn't like him (for good reason). But this was the epitome of a circumstantial case.

The evidence really wasn't there.

But hey, a killer was still tossed in prison, so... *shrug*

Plenty of murder cases have been tried based solely on circumstantial evidence - and the case in The Good Doctor was very closely based on a real murder case of a plastic surgeon who murdered his wife in their Manhattan apartment and threw her remains in the ocean while flying his plane, and he was convicted despite them never finding the body. So this episode was ripped very closely from the headlines. It’s one of my favorite CI season 1 episodes, the investigation is really strong and Goren and Carver both have some great scenes in it, it’s more straightforward than most CI cases but really well done.

• Useful 3
5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Plenty of murder cases have been tried based solely on circumstantial evidence - and the case in The Good Doctor was very closely based on a real murder case of a plastic surgeon who murdered his wife in their Manhattan apartment and threw her remains in the ocean while flying his plane, and he was convicted despite them never finding the body. So this episode was ripped very closely from the headlines. It’s one of my favorite CI season 1 episodes, the investigation is really strong and Goren and Carver both have some great scenes in it, it’s more straightforward than most CI cases but really well done.

Well said.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Thanks for explaining the real case it was ripped from!

Well, if similar circumstances occurred in the real case, who am I to quibble about the outcome in the fictional version? 😊

The last episode in today's Sundance marathon? "Maledictus", starring creepy Kenny and Martha, and the one of the Durst re-tellings in the franchise we had discussed!

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Thanks for explaining the real case it was ripped from!

Well, if similar circumstances occurred in the real case, who am I to quibble about the outcome in the fictional version? 😊

The last episode in today's Sundance marathon? "Maledictus", starring creepy Kenny and Martha, and the one of the Durst re-tellings in the franchise we had discussed!

An interesting note about the real case - the doctor in it confessed to the murder of his wife a couple of years ago at his parole hearing. He’s still incarcerated at Sing Sing though. The Good Doctor is one of the stories ripped most closely from the headlines on any L&O, usually they put some twists on it to make it somewhat different from the real case, this one was ripped from the headlines almost verbatim.

Maledictus is a weird episode, Kenny and Martha’s relationship was really creepy. As I’ve always said I think the poison method that Kenny used to kill his mom was very sophisticated for a young child. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Maledictus is a weird episode, Kenny and Martha’s relationship was really creepy. As I’ve always said I think the poison method that Kenny used to kill his mom was very sophisticated for a young child. 

Yes, Eloise Strick was poisoned. So when Goren was reviewing photos of the crime scene, I didn't understand just why she had blood all over her.

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yes, Eloise Strick was poisoned. So when Goren was reviewing photos of the crime scene, I didn't understand just why she had blood all over her.

I’ve never thought of that - that is weird. I’ve always just thought that using poison was a very sophisticated murder method for a 10 year old. Still a good episode with a memorable perp and a good plot.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’ve never thought of that - that is weird. I’ve always just thought that using poison was a very sophisticated murder method for a 10 year old. Still a good episode with a memorable perp and a good plot.

Was he 10? I thought he was younger. *shrug*

As for the blood, perhaps she vomited it up? But besides her face, it was on her arm/hand, so...no idea. LOL!

Oh, well.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

"Depths" is in the middle of airing on WE now with pre-SVU Kelli Giddish. And I will be shallow again and reiterate that Bobby/VDO looked great there, with the tan and shadow of a beard, etc. 😋

Okay, the case was good, too.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As for the blood, perhaps she vomited it up? But besides her face, it was on her arm/hand, so...no idea. LOL

I have no idea how ant poison works, but perhaps it works a little like warfarin, which is in rat poison, and thins your blood so you bleed everywhere? Or she threw up blood and it went everywhere as she was staggering and falling?

I think Kenny, being ten, thought, aw, this little bit of powder will just irritate her stomach and she'll vomit.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
35 minutes ago, Shadow Lass said:

I have no idea how ant poison works, but perhaps it works a little like warfarin, which is in rat poison, and thins your blood so you bleed everywhere? Or she threw up blood and it went everywhere as she was staggering and falling?

I think Kenny, being ten, thought, aw, this little bit of powder will just irritate her stomach and she'll vomit.

Rat poison has warfarin it it???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

No, I think they were saying maybe the effect of the rat poison was like Warfarin, and maybe she vomited blood and just started bleeding. As in, maybe her blood thinned as a result of the poisoning.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/26/2023 at 2:05 AM, WendyCR72 said:

ETA: The whole black outfit may be the reason, but VDO looks less bulky in that picture! (Though I don't much care; I like him either way. But he does look a tad thinner here.)

No, he has lost weight; it showed if you saw him full face. While I agree on "I like him either way," I'm sure it's better for his health. Goodness knows I wish I had that discipline!

His mom died a few days ago. Brings back all the memories of when I lost mine. 😔

I am sad there is no LOCI on WE tomorrow (5/5). Instead there's Mama June all day. 🤢🤮

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's how it kills the rats; it thins the blood so they start to bleed internally.

Our friend Daniel, who had a heart attack, was given too much warfarin afterwards and ended up with a brain bleed. Thank goodness his wife called 911 immediately. So happy doctor put my husband on Brilinta instead.

Edited by Shadow Lass
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Sad for VDO losing his mother. He said she was the reason he took the role of Bobby Goren, since he felt guilty that most of his prior roles his mom would watch were him playing bad guys.

I lost my own mom five years ago. The hole never leaves, but you learn to go on.

Didn't know the Friday marathon was preempted. And for that mess. UGH. Listings have the Friday edition of the WE marathon back next week, albeit S9 by then (since the show, besides Thursdays, airs late at night/early in the morning a few times a week in terms of cycling through!).

At least there were good episodes today, i.e. "Vanishing Act". I do love seeing Bobby so happy in that one.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

I was freaked for a minute because my dad was on Warfarin for a while. He's not now, they have him on something else.

Thank goodness! That stuff is scary.

• Like 2

Thank you, yes.

Good! 😊

Ah, WE has a mini CI marathon on now. "Last Rites". "Frame" is next. And for the true night owls, "Playing Dead" after that to round it out!

• Like 3

Just watched Weeping Willow again (with Michelle T aka Dawn from Buffy) and wow, it's pretty prescient about where online content and live streaming has ended up, even if it's "YouLens."

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ML89 said:

Just watched Weeping Willow again (with Michelle T aka Dawn from Buffy) and wow, it's pretty prescient about where online content and live streaming has ended up, even if it's "YouLens."

Right, the episode where the late Larry King made a cameo. Weird episode, though.

• Like 3

Two really strange season 9 episodes were on last night in The Mobster Will See You Now and Palimpsest. I can’t figure either of them out - in Mobster Will See You Now, who actually killed the guy and staged it to look like he choked? Was it the guy who confessed at the end or someone else? And what was the problem with the prosecutor who almost got into a fistfight with Nichols?! Talk about an unprofessional jackass. I couldn’t figure out what his angle was though and why he was such a dick. There were too many suspects and not enough detective work in that one as well, I found it confusing. 
And Palimpsest was just bonkers from start to finish, where was that mansion the crime took place in even located? The whole thing didn’t feel like CI at all, and everyone acted so oddly. 
Season 9 had some really weird stuff, and it didn’t help that the detectives were so low key that it made the episodes dull, Stevens and Callas had no personality. 

And Palimpsest was just bonkers from start to finish, where was that mansion the crime took place in even located? The whole thing didn’t feel like CI at all, and everyone acted so oddly. 

I love that episode. I know they completely lost focus that season and this episode is written like some Christie fan fic writer just popped in and wrote that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love that episode. I know they completely lost focus that season and this episode is written like some Christie fan fic writer just popped in and wrote that.

Yeah I know you are one of the handful who like Palimpsest, I have to disagree. It was so strange that it felt like it was taking place in another universe. Having a show set in NYC have an episode take place in some massive mansion that looked like it was far away from the city was weird enough, and the way the characters acted, the stuff with Nichols in England, and the case itself, it was just all bonkers. 
I like a few of season 9 episodes, True Legacy is my favorite, but some were just bizarre, Palimpsest being the most notable, with Mobster Will See You Now right behind it. 

7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

And Palimpsest was just bonkers from start to finish, where was that mansion the crime took place in even located? The whole thing didn’t feel like CI at all, and everyone acted so oddly.

"Palimpsest" was like the old Harlequin novels come to life. The dialogue was so stilted and wasn't like how actual people speak.

"Who did this ghastly thing?" being one such example. It was just so STRANGE.

Add in that Zack's supposed "great love" had never been mentioned before and was never mentioned afterward, and the whole episode came off as some sort of AU fever dream.

Additionally, as noted before, I also didn't understand why Zack went all the way to London to speak with some woman the viewers had never met before about all of the weirdness. Maybe if the show wanted an old love of Zack's involved in a murder, write it like it was the 21st century and not Victorian England?

As for "The Mobster Will See You Now", I wish I had answers for you. The only part I got was the girlfriend/future "fiancé" was accused of killing Les, then committed suicide because of it. The rest was just a series of names and doctors and whatnot, and I really could not keep track.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

"Palimpsest" was like the old Harlequin novels come to life. The dialogue was so stilted and wasn't like how actual people speak.

"Who did this ghastly thing?" being one such example. It was just so STRANGE.

Add in that Zack's supposed "great love" had never been mentioned before and was never mentioned afterward, and the whole episode came off as some sort of AU fever dream.

Additionally, as noted before, I also didn't understand why Zack went all the way to London to speak with some woman the viewers had never met before about all of the weirdness. Maybe if the show wanted an old love of Zack's involved in a murder, write it like it was the 21st century and not Victorian England?

As for "The Mobster Will See You Now", I wish I had answers for you. The only part I got was the girlfriend/future "fiancé" was accused of killing Les, then committed suicide because of it. The rest was just a series of names and doctors and whatnot, and I really could not keep track.

Yeah I couldn’t keep track of all of the characters in The Mobster Will See You Now, and I wasn’t sure which of the mobsters killed Les, and I wasn’t sure what the prosecutor’s problem was, he was an ass, and the solution, whatever it was, seemed to be pulled out of thin air. 
And yeah Palimpsest was bonkers, everyone acted strange, the dialogue was strange, the case was strange, and none of it in a good way. It was just too bizarre to be an L&O episode. 

• Like 1

Sometimes, it pays to work in the dead hours! "The Last Street In Manhattan", my favorite from S10, is the 2nd episode in a 3-block mini marathon on Thursday morning!

(The others being "Boots On The Ground" and "Trophy Wine", obviously. I do like Alex snarking about alcoholic snobs in the latter!)

• Like 2
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Today on WE they're having the two last ones, Icarus and The Boy in the Blue Knit Cap. Then they're starting over with One.

Yeah. The contrast between early Goren/Eames and late Goren/Eames is stark, especially when aired back to back. But I love their early and later selves. It just goes to show the characters did evolve over those 10 seasons.

• Like 3
(edited)

Good season 1 marathon on today, I saw The Third Horseman and Crazy

The Third Horseman is a very strong episode, I love the investigation and manhunt for Griscom and how Goren figured out who Griscom was targeting next. It was a very good investigation and case. As I’ve said before I found Carver irritating - it seemed like he was letting his personal beliefs about abortion cloud his judgment, he shouldn’t have been so jumpy about the case.

Crazy is very good as well - Webb was such a creep, he really thought Sara would be glad about him having the victim whacked. As we’ve discussed before, only the children were sympathetic in this plot, everyone else was unlikable. I’m still not sure what Sara was getting from stringing along creepy Charlie. Awesome to see Skoda as always, it’s too bad this was his only appearance on CI, although he was in a deleted scene in season 2’s Tomorrow, a scene that shouldn’t have been deleted. 

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Right now I'm watching The Good Doctor. Man, Goren on the witness stand is pure gold.

The Good Doctor is a great episode as well, as I’ve said before it’s not as complex of a plot as many CI episodes but it was pulled off terrifically, Kelmer was a smug bastard and I loved seeing Goren get under his skin, and Carver in court was awesome, we should’ve had more court scenes on CI, I’ve always said the show underused Carver and the legal stuff.

Season 1 really had a lot of fantastic episodes. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 2

The Good Doctor is a great episode as well, as I’ve said before it’s not as complex of a plot as many CI episodes but it was pulled off terrifically, Kelmer was a smug bastard and I loved seeing Goren get under his skin, and Carver in court was awesome, we should’ve had more court scenes on CI, I’ve always said the show underused Carver and the legal stuff.

I agree. I loved Carver and would have loved more courtroom scenes. That's really kind of where CI dropped the ball compared to the other shows in the franchise. No wonder VDO collapsed from exhaustion, he was in every damn scene.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I loved Carver and would have loved more courtroom scenes. That's really kind of where CI dropped the ball compared to the other shows in the franchise. No wonder VDO collapsed from exhaustion, he was in every damn scene.

Carver was really underused, we should’ve had more courtroom scenes and legal stuff. Deakins was underused in many episodes as well - when Dickhead Ross showed up he was in a lot more scenes than Deakins it seemed. One reason why I love The Good Doctor is for the courtroom scenes with Carver - those were great. Carver also had a good role in Crazy, I liked his ending lines about how Webb wasn’t insane, he was in love, and that’s hard to tell the two apart but the law can. Carver irritated me in The Third Horseman though.

• Like 2

"Crazy" has much in common with "World's Fair" from Season 6 in that everyone but the victims were completely awful assholes. Sorry to be crude, but that is the best description I can muster for both episodes.

From Julie to Sarah to Meena's dick brother to her boyfriend's racist mother, when CI showed the unlikable side of human nature, it sure didn't shy away...

• Like 2