Type keyword(s) to search

Smash - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

The music is still all kinds of awesome!  Loved the live stream last night.  I was floored when Megan told the story about her husband being offered $6K for each ticket that he had for the concert.  I remember that people were going crazy trying to get tickets.  When the concert was held in 2015, I resorted to watching it on YouTube before it was yanked due to copyright.

• Love 2

I remember amoung the many, many problems this show had, the perhaps biggest was that we were supposed to believe that Hilty and McPhee were bitter rivals on the same level. Watching the Bombshell performance, that still seems to be a bit far fetched. I mean she is a fine enough pop singer, but she is no Megan Hilty.

I'm not sure if turning the show into a musical is a good idea. Guess we'll see.

• Like 3
On 4/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

I remember amoung the many, many problems this show had, the perhaps biggest was that we were supposed to believe that Hilty and McPhee were bitter rivals on the same level. Watching the Bombshell performance, that still seems to be a bit far fetched. I mean she is a fine enough pop singer, but she is no Megan Hilty.

I'm not sure if turning the show into a musical is a good idea. Guess we'll see.

Exactly. I found this show so incredibly frustrating. I love musicals. I love backstage stories. This show was tailor-made for people like me — in theory.

But there was this major disconnect I could not overlook. McPhee was just not made for Broadway (at least not the kind of show they were making) — and how anyone could see her as the better choice for the lead in a Marilyn Monroe bio when Megan Hilty is right there just doesn’t make sense to me. They finally made some needed adjustments in S2, but by then it was kind of too late and they still couldn’t let go of the “Karen is magic” story. S1 screwed them, then they flubbed the reset.

I still go back and watch some of the musical numbers, but the whole show feels like such a missed opportunity.

I do appreciate it for introducing me to talents like Hilty and Leslie Odom Jr.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

It would have been better if the show played up that Hilty was the right person for the part..but didn't have the right connections or look to bring butts in seats....and the producers, etc said as much 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

It would have been better if the show played up that Hilty was the right person for the part..but didn't have the right connections or look to bring butts in seats....and the producers, etc said as much 

But Spielberg really wanted to fuck McPhee (allegedly... but considering how much he pushed her...) so she couldn't be the worse singer. She had to be the bestest at everything. It was pretty laughable.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1