Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Book of Rebellion, Chapter Two: Gift of the Magi

• Start Topic

Well I was expecting Khalil to die, so, good job show.

Ack!  Jenn and Khalil said the ILY.  I loved Jenn using her powers to get the medicine and to kick the assassin's ass.  Good job saving Khalil, Jenn (hopefully not for a more painful death later).   I can't help it, I want them to make it even though I know DOOM must be coming.

I also enjoyed Gambi casually telling Lynn to hack into the FBI database; Lynn at least trying to do something; Jeff slowly losing his mind over this and Anissa calming him down; Gambi flipping Jeff over his shoulder(!).  I really enjoy Jeff and Anissa working together; they are alot alike. 

Khalil's aunt lives, yay.  Khalil's mom feeling like it her what happened to her sons was her fault was heartbreaking.

Not sure about the new kid who lost the grant due to bias and racism.  He was supposed to be in his 20s but looked about 15.  We just had the "mob boss seduces good kid" story with Tobias and Khalil, not sure why we need to go down this road again.

Suave new bad guy, ooh.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, raven said:

Not sure about the new kid who lost the grant due to bias and racism.  He was supposed to be in his 20s but looked about 15.  We just had the "mob boss seduces good kid" story with Tobias and Khalil, not sure why we need to go down this road again.

I'm assuming it has to do with Proctor's briefcase. I'll give Tobias this: He can really talk some trash.

I loved this episode. Jenn is badass and also tender. I like that she's tough and strong and resourceful but not needless and wantless, either. She has brains, brawn, backbone, and juice. I don't really buy into the romance, but I let it go by because (1) teens do act like that, it's totally in character and realistic, and (2) it hasn't made Jenn into some simpering damsel, either. I'll take any partnership of equals.

Gambi flipping Jeff was the biggest shocker so far!

Jeff and Anissa wandering around aimlessly actually made me laugh. Jenn was taking care of business! Maybe she should lock her family in the house for their protection, while she goes out and does the superhero stuff.

I'm bored with Tobias. I think some of the others who they already killed off were more interesting. But I did think that showing how he recruits people who have legitimate talents and legitimate grievances was worth the airtime. It humanizes the situation, makes you think about why some people just snap and get involved in bad ideas. I did have some trouble believing his recruit would flip so fast without even knowing what was being asked.

I was surprised when Khalil's father turned out to be not a bad idea for Lynn to check out. After his mom spoke so badly about him, I really didn't expect him to be anything but trouble.

• Love 4

Any assassin that works with poison would have taken the time to make themselves immune to their own poison, so Jenn's trick to find the antidote from Cutter shouldn't have worked. Enjoying the evil NightCrawler character.                                

• Love 2

Tobias loses Khalil as a an ally, so he recruits a bookworm played by RJ Cyler, which checks out, because he was totally Billy from the new Power Rangers film!  Underestimate him at y'alls own peril!  Especially you, bouncer who called him a nerd!

Jefferson and Lynn are not handling this well at all.  At least Lynn is keeping most of her freaking out inside the house, but Jefferson was this close to just blasting out of there in broad daylight, with no suit.  Crazy!  Good thing Gambi showed that he's still got some moves in him, or that could have been bad!

Jennifer is continuing to be resourceful and could even end up being the most powerful person in the family, once she gets her powers under control.  But while she saved Khalil from the poison, I have to think the other shoe will end up dropping.  Especially after they declared their love for one another, which rarely ends well for anyone.

Who is this new teleporting guy?

• Love 3

Good thing Gambi still has movies, or Jefferson would have blasted off in broad daylight, screwing everything up! I get that he is upset and desperate to find Jenn, but letting everyone know who is is would just put them in even more danger!

I kind of love how the family is running around like a bunch of decapitated chickens looking for Jenn, assuming Jenn is kidnapped or dead or hurt, when i actually, Jenn is taking care of business! Helping Khalil, seeing how her powers are growing and controlling them better, being resourceful, and kicking all kinds of ass. I mean, her and Khalil running off will probably end badly, but she is handling her shit super well. She could end up the most powerful member of the family. 

New teleportation guy seems cool, and is super hot, so I am excited to see what his deal is. 

Glad that the aunt was alright, and I was surprised that Khalils dad seems like an alright guy. Still a deadbeat dad, but not the total asshole that he was built up to be. 

• Love 2

I'm sorta glad there wasn't a big cliffhanger, but I wish there was more in this episode to show us where the show is going in the back half.

Tobias' story has stalled, or at least slowed; I wish he was doing more stuff or that we knew more about his plans.

Lynn and the Green Light Kids' arc is also stalled. Understandable, but  I thought that was the main story this season.

We only just met Cutter, and now they're introducing 3 other new characters in this episode alone?  Tobias' young, new minion and the metahuman look interesting; Khalil's father might be important (for Khalil, I guess) later on.

Speaking of, I really hope Jennifer and Khalil's doomed teen road trip ends soon. For her parents sake and mine, because I'm still sure it's not going to end well.

I kind of wish Jenn would call Anissa and have her tell Jefferson and Lynn that she [Jenn] was going to be with Khalil.  She could be with him at home, or with him on the road, but she would be with him.  I'm sure that there would be much angst-ing but it would work out best for all concerned.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:36 AM, possibilities said:

I was surprised when Khalil's father turned out to be not a bad idea for Lynn to check out. After his mom spoke so badly about him, I really didn't expect him to be anything but trouble.

I was extremely surprised that Checkov's Shotgun didn't go off!!!

BTW, did the title of this episode ever come into play? I don't think it did? I assume it's referring to the short story about a couple who each give up something valuable to get a gift for the other; Jen is certainly giving up her safety, but there wasn't an equal sacrifice from Khalil in this episode.

Unless they're referring back to the Bible story in which Wise Men(Jeff, Anissa, Gambi?) travel to find the prophesied Saviour(Jen?)? Which still doesn't quite fit because baby Jesus wasn't actively running away....

I don't know, maybe they felt like making a Christmas reference for the season.

19 hours ago, Trini said:

I assume it's referring to the short story about a couple who each give up something valuable to get a gift for the other;

It went a little deeper than that -- each gave up something that made the other's gist ironic.  "Jim sells his watch to buy Della a pair of decorative combs for her hair, and Della sells her hair to buy Jim a chain for his watch."

But that has even less reference to this episode!

• Love 2

Both characters did cut off their hair for the sake of the other character.

Weird note: When they showed Jen driving away from the hospital (surveillance video) was she in that ratty pick-up truck they stole or in a car? (Too lazy to check.)

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Weird note: When they showed Jen driving away from the hospital (surveillance video) was she in that ratty pick-up truck they stole or in a car? (Too lazy to check.)

I'm pretty sure it was the truck, but I haven't re-watched.

I know I shouldn't root for the bad guys, but I kind of hope that Tobias' new recruit stays with him and is loyal. This season, Tobias is really by himself. Last season he had Tory, Syonide, Joey Toledo, LaLa (sort of), and Khalil. Plus being allied with the ASA and the 100 gang. They've really shrunk his scope this year; and I think it's making him less interesting as a villain.