Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Wanting

Another episode, another ep full of too much Andy. It's possible that it's not much more than normal, and only feels agonizing because she's stuck with Duncan and he is such a dud. But there needs to be a change, something is off - I don't like the changes in Chris,  I find Gail's bitch attitude tiresome now, I'm glad they're attempting to soften her up but the extremes of her personality are killing me, and Dov is non-existent. Nick and Chloe were adorable but not given any real police work to do. This season just feels off balance. Maybe my expectations were too high (even though they weren't all that high to begin with after the 'you're my story' bull last finale). 

So Andy believes people can be better, but that doesn't make them better. She knows Sam is wrong for her, everything in the world tells her no, except her gut. Trust her gut! The show tells us. Because that has worked so well for her in the past with Sam. 

• Love 2

Well, the rookie's still annoying. I know I should have felt bad for him when he had that panic attack, but come on, he's been on the job for five weeks. If he's freezing up at this point, he better damn well be suspended with a possibility of being kicked out. But, of course his step dad's some hot-shot so he's going to find some way to stay, especially judging the previews. Sure, Duncan probably only joined because of his step father, but he's absolutely not cut out for this line of work and someone needs to be the one to tell him to act like an adult. 

So, I was hoping that Chris would have a storyline, but a drug storyline? Seriously? This show used to be better than this...ok, maybe not, but a cop on drugs storyline isn't going to end well for anyone. 

Awkward Nick is hilarious and I liked his scenes with Dov and Chloe. "You two get a room and then tell me all about it. Actually, forget that last part." It's a shame he's being reduced to the sidekick, but hopefully it's just a one episode thing. 

Sam/Andy? Ok, we've been there, done that like six different times now. This time better stick. 

I did feel really bad for Gail when she saw the little girl and realized that her mom had died. Telling a kid that has to be difficult, and with her break up with Holly, it's clear she hit a breaking point. Speaking of Holly, I don't know whether to feel disappointment that we didn't get to see Gail's coming out scenes to her friends, or to feel slightly proud that Rookie Blue didn't go that cliched route and just jumped straight into everyone being accepting (or, at least, Dov and Chris know). Maybe a little bit of both?

Too much Andy (and Duncan) in my opinion. There's a reason why I've never liked Andy-centric episodes (which have been too many for me). I like minimal Andy, happy Andy, non-cheerleader Traci over Sam and Andy. I mean, really, Traci disappoints me sometimes. She's being supportive of her friend, but I remember season 1 where she practically cried over the fact that Sam and Andy didn't sleep together when the blackout episode happened. 

I know where they're going with Duncan (him staying on the force due to daddy pulling strings) and I'm going to dislike it. I know they're going to make me feel bad for him, and maybe I do, but right now I want him off my screen and out of the police profession.

Duncan should be done after this, his partner and the other cops shouldn't be able to trust him as a colleague to have their backs.I don't feel bad for him, he should be removed from his position, he could have gotten Andy and a chis ild killed because he wouldn't back up his partner, then he lied and tried to cover it up like a teen child. 

Chris is on drugs? I guess they're going to blame it on him losing his family. Really hope this isn't what it looks like, a cop on drugs and breaking the law

isn't the best story.

NIck being the Dov and Chloe go-between was cute. Like him putting them together at the end.

Nick and Chloe were the best part of this episode, which I find it odd to say as I've never been a huge Nick or Chloe fan. The rest of it was kind of meh. It was pretty obvious from the start that the guy was shot by his own gang, so not a lot of excitement on the case. The kid was more mature than the rookie, and didn't screw up quite as much. Gail did have good instincts on the woman in the laundry room/other kid, but that wasn't a huge surprise, either. A bit less McNally would have been good.

I think the commaradarie of prior seasons is one of the things that's missing. Hanging out at the Penny, etc. The rookies are more interesting as a group than separate and right now, they're separate.

(edited)

Oliver has come a long, long way from being the Training Officer Whose Name I Can't Be Bothered To Remember; he might be my favourite character. He makes a sensible sergeant, except for letting Andy off the hook too easily. If she was fudging reports, or not telling her superior everything he needed to know about her gormless rookie's progress (or entire lack thereof), there ought to be disciplinary consequences for her. 

Really, Sam? Really? Andy's the best you've ever seen? You need to get out more, detective. I honestly like Andy most of the time, but what actual training did she provide Dumb Duncan, especially knowing he has all the judgment that God gave a lemon? I felt a bit bad for the kid while he was paralyzed with fear, but I still don't care enough about him as a character to keep me from hoping he gets tossed on his butt.

The Chris-on-drugs story? Will be excruciatingly bad. I hate it already. But I could watch Nick being weirded out by Chloe all day long.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

When Andy told Sam that she had been training him for weeks and had him on a short leash and was really strict with him or whatever, I simply couldn't believe it. Granted it's only been a couple of episodes so far, but I actually think she hasn't been strict enough. She goes halfway before giving up, in my opinion. She needs to be teaching him and being a mentor of sorts, but I just feel like she's treating it as a job she has to follow through with. That being said, good for her for FINALLY telling Oliver about Duncan's constant screw ups. Andy's not perfect by any means, but she's a better cop than this guy. 

• Love 2

Speaking of Holly, I don't know whether to feel disappointment that we didn't get to see Gail's coming out scenes to her friends, or to feel slightly proud that Rookie Blue didn't go that cliched route and just jumped straight into everyone being accepting (or, at least, Dov and Chris know). Maybe a little bit of both?

I love it. It's really refreshing to see a same sex relationship have drama where none of it involves being gay or coming out or any of that. I think it's great to treat it no differently than a hetero relationship.

Nick and Chloe were the best part of this episode, which I find it odd to say as I've never been a huge Nick or Chloe fan.

Seconded.

• Love 1
So, I was hoping that Chris would have a storyline, but a drug storyline? Seriously? This show used to be better than this...ok, maybe not, but a cop on drugs storyline isn't going to end well for anyone.

I actually think it could be brilliant. Cops using drugs is actually fairly common for the same reasons alcohol abuse and divorce rates are sky high among cops.  I'm not sure this quite the show to address that but it could be interesting. Also the attitude about substance abuse in cops is different up here.  As long as Chris goes to treatment and doesn't do anything particular stupid to feed his addiction he could still have a job at the end of all this. Most forces will try to keep it quiet but I actually know a cop who has been to rehab and gone back to work. Plus given what we do know about Chris's family history addiction is fairly consistent with his character. Dov's reaction will be interesting considering his history with his brother too, he might actually be the first to figure it out.

I don't like the changes in Chris,

Your not supposed too, he was strung out (maybe high maybe just coming down). It was really well played by the actor actually I didn't put it together on the first viewing but it seems obvious now. Its really easy to play something like that over the top, the fact that actor seems to have handle on this is part of what's making me optimistic about this story.

• Love 1

The storyline has the potential to be realistic and even compelling, I suppose, but I'm not sure the writers can be trusted to avoid the soapiest treatment of it. I like Travis Milne well enough, and he did well in the "coming down" scenes, as you say, but I'm not looking forward to the story at all.

Your not supposed too, he was strung out (maybe high maybe just coming down). It was really well played by the actor actually I didn't put it together on the first viewing but it seems obvious now. Its really easy to play something like that over the top, the fact that actor seems to have handle on this is part of what's making me optimistic about this story.

Travis Milne was fantastic in this ep. It made me really optimistic about this story. I've never thought of him as one of the better actors in the show, but now I think he's probably gonna kill this story.

Sam/Andy are the worst. I long for the days when I at least liked them OK. 

Nick/Chloe are the cutest little BFFs!

• Love 1

I hope they give his own storyline soon now that Chris has gotten one. He was really interesting in his first season with his military background and now, to quote jessied112:

It's a shame he's being reduced to the sidekick, but hopefully it's just a one episode thing.

Nick's keeping me hanging on to this show!!

Hopefully they get rid of Duncan soon. I am glad they haven't really called him "Selfie" outside that one time in the first episode--so cringey.

All I have to say about Chris is best summed up in a Regina George voice: " Now I guess he's on crack." Why not?

I'm so sick of Andy. She is very pretty and well-meaning. That doesn't mean she should be able to eat the whole show! I'm over her relationship drama with Sam. They were an intermittently terrible couple and I was happy when they broke up.

I kind of hate Dov's girlfriend. I just can't warm up to her.

I think I would have reacted similarly to Duncan in that situation. Actually, strike that. I wouldn't have been sitting there full of angst because I have no shame in saying that I wouldn't run to confront an armed killer. Of course, I'm not a cop. I would never be a cop. I don't want to own or even touch a gun. I want a police scanner just so I know what shit is going down and I can go the other way. So I get why he freaked. He definitely shouldn't be wearing a badge. There are a lot of great things Duncan can do with his life, outside of being a cop.

Do the writers of this show not know that Nick is awesome? I need more Nick with a substantive story.

If your not a McSwarek shipper than your gonna hate all their scenes. Ah well.

I think they have been the best they've ever been thus far in this young season. Taking their time and communicating more and much better than they ever have. The repercussions of Sam's shooting has effected his personal life, mainly his relationship w. Andy, and in the best possible way, in my opinion. 

(edited)

For me, what they're failing at is showing us how this season is any different for Sam and Andy than before. That's why I hate their scenes because it's just rehashing their same issues and then randomly smoothing it over because Andy is delusional with nothing changing. I've not liked couples on other shows before, but I understood why they worked. Sam is currently in a nice, near-death, share and love everything bubble right now but he will not change in the long term. He hasn't lived 40 years only to change overnight and become the person that Andy needs. 

Edited by weightyghost

The "Wanting" title could have covered a lot of things in this episode. First maybe could be Andy and Sam wanting each other but are restraining to be "Friends", since things in past have not worked out. Next, we see Chloe really wanting Dov to be close and frisky like they were before the shootout and before Wes. We have Andy wanting Duncan to become a good cop. Duncan wanting to do the right thing but messing up most of time. We have Gail wanting to help figure out who Sophie(Treena) is. We have Marcus Riggs and his Grandma wanting to help clear his Dad Darrell's name. We even have Shay Bishop wanting to lead the gang he is in. We also have Sophie wanting to find her Mom, Treena. Also it could cover Chris wanting more but turning to drugs to cover it up? So lots of "Wanting" in this episode.

I thought that Chris's lateness and Coffee hyperness was for a GF. We did see a couple weeks prior that Meghan Kelly liked him. But he was kinda uneasy around Gail. I figured it was because they used to date and she was dating Holly. He did seem to not know what to say about her lesbianism. But he and Gail would again make a nice pair. Then when Chris went and sat his car in the alley I thought he was lonely and wanted them to think he had a gf. But then buying the dope, I don't know. Dov better help him figure it out. Wonder if we will see Chris's ex again?

Nick and Dov made a good pair. Awkward for Nick to question Dov about him and Chloe. Was it coincidence that Chloe asked Nick to find out what Dov was feeling and they rode together today? Or is that the reason she asked him? Lucky Dov wasn't riding with Gail. Then following the statement by Nick, Chloe says she is not fragile at all.

COTW, surprised finding Darrell Riggs wounded in stairwell, Treena wounded in laundry room and Dominic Cody dead in his apartment that more cops weren't called in and even Inspector John Jarvis wasn't there. He was MIA this week.

Duncan Moore having his problems with panic attacks and trying to be by the book like he was with Marcus had me feeling bad for him and thinking he was some jerk all at the same time. Andy not wanting to get him in trouble and thinking she can help, she was lucky Dov and Nick were close and apprehended Shay Bishop. Surprised he came alone. But maybe all his goons were on Dominics Gang side? Duncan looks like he is gone, but why not desk work?? And his step dad will probably save him too.

Was nice that Gail wanted to find out about Sophie. Then finding out the shooting victim was Treena, and her daughter was Sophie. Treena saying Sophie's name,she must have been worried about Sophie ofcourse.