Type keyword(s) to search

Etched in Stone: Favorite SFU Quotes

(edited)

Funny, crazy or just just personally memorable. What are some of yours?

From the first episode:

Nate has just identified his father's body. He and Brenda are saying goodbye at the morgue after having met each other only hours before.

Nate: I don't know if I can handle this.
Brenda: You're about to find out.

After a hysterical Ruth gives her "I'm a whore!" admission to David & Nate, David walks out in a huff while a very uncomfortable Nate tries to somehow comfort his mother.
Ruth: I didn't realize how lonely I was or how long it had been since a man touched me like that.
Nate: Well, loneliness is a terrible thing.
Ruth: I'm still a woman you know.
Nate: Yes, I know.
Ruth: And now your father sees me, like God sees me. He knows everything. I'm so ashamed.
Nate: You didn't do it to hurt anybody. You were lonely. I'm sure dad forgives you.
Ruth: And God doesn't?
Nate: Oh, yeah, yeah. I'm sure he does, too. It's okay. Everybody forgives everybody....for everything.

After Nathaniel's graveside service, Brenda walks up to Nate.

Brenda: Well, after 4 days with my family, I'm ready for shock therapy. I'm just waiting to see if my HMO covers it. How are you doing?

Nate: I'm a mess if you want to know the truth. My father's dead. My mother's a whore. My brother wants to kill me and my sister's smoking crack. I think I win.

Brenda: Here's my number if you want to go on a real date. You know...where you buy me dinner first before I put out.

Nate: For all you know, I'm a serial rapist and I have 10 nurses buried under my house.

Brenda: Now you're just making me wet.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 3

Ruth: You wake up one day and your baby's stolen a foot. Where have I been?

Claire: I know stealing a foot is weird. But, hello, living in a house where a foot is available to be stolen is weird.

• Love 5

David: I don't understand kids. When I was her age I never would have taken a foot.

Keith: Let me help. I'm a cop. It's what I do for a living.

David: You find feet?

I loved every line out of Margareth's (Brenda's mother) mouth. I laughed so hard when she told Brenda in S5: "All couples have these types of disagreements. You think I didn't want to abort you and Billy? But your father talked me out of it."  Or when she said to Ruth in the finale: "Ruth, it isn't the '50s any more. No matter how you dress."

Oh, Margaret was a hoot! And a nutcase. Can you imagine having someone like her for a shrink?  You'd need a shrink to recover from HER.

I imagine Joanna Cassidy had a blast playing that role.

• Love 1

I was not a fan of Edie, the character played by Mena Suvari -- too much of the Tortured Artist archetype for me. But she did have a great line, when she was getting ready to do her open mic thing:

"I really like your penis. Too bad you're attached to it."

I also loved David when he quit being embarrassed and ashamed about being gay:

"Hi, this is David and Keith. We can't come to the phone right now because we're too gay!"

• Love 4

An all-time favorite -

Keith (to an acting-prissy David): "I always thought that by being gay I'd avoid fucking my mother, but I guess that's not the case!"

• Love 5
"All that lives, lives forever. Only the shell, the perishable passes away. The spirit is without end. Eternal. Deathless."

Not sure if it was written for the show or if it's a quote from somewhere else, but it's so wonderfully poetic.

Love this! I watched this episode yesterday. Nathaniel Sr. said this to Nate while Nate was high on Ecstasy. Nate thought it was so profound that he wrote it down. He later read it aloud to Brenda. She reminded him that the quote was from the Bhagavad Gita that he'd read at her house previously.

It was interesting how they carried the ecstasy-in-the-aspirin-bottle story line from the first season to the second. Ruth's camping-while-high adventure was awesome. Her mental meetup with Nathaniel in the woods was so sweet. Ruth tells Nathaniel that what they had together, she wants it back. Nathaniel tells her to "find it again". They embrace and kiss, then Ruth awakens in the tent and later learns she sexually ravaged Hiram during the night but doesn't remember it. She can only laugh.

And Nate's "E" moment was during Ruth's dinner where the family first meets Nikolai.

Nate: It flows out. It flows in. It's all about the flow.

• Love 2

One of my favorite early Claire lines was when she and Nate are sharing a "cigarette" and talking about how they can't stand the commercial , fake absurdity of Christmas.

Claire: I think in hell, it's always Christmas.

After Claire meets Toby at the "Howl" weekend at Aunt Sarah's, she reluctantly invites him to her house for Christmas dinner.

Claire: So, do you want to have Christmas dinner with my creepy family?

Toby: I would love it! Do you really want me to come?

Claire: Well, it was my mother's idea. Ever since my last boyfriend tried to kill himself, robbed a store, shot a guy and then disappeared off the face of the Earth - she wants to meet every boy I date.

• Love 2

Season 2 had Brenda back in risky sexual territory and then writing about it. One memorable moment was when she was clothes shopping.

Saleswoman: May I help you?

Brenda: I'm looking for clothes so expensive only an idiot would buy them. Oh, there they are....

Brenda then makes eye contact with a man and saunters over to him where he semi-discretely puts his hand up her skirt. The saleswoman sees them and breaks it up, telling the man his wife is calling for him. The man departs.

Saleswoman (to Brenda): You need to leave.

Brenda: Do you validate?

(I remember that whole thing being shocking, funny and awkwardly hot)

• Love 1

S-3 Ep-8  "Tears, Bones and Desire"

From the "Book of Daddy":

Every day we must dance, if only in our minds. Why do we dance? Because we are happy to be alive. We must dance to say, "Thank you, God. Thank you for life."

Consider the trees which allow the birds to perch without calling them back. If your heart can be like a tree, you will be close to the way.

When the multitude laughs at you, you are blessed.

The physical body is only tears, bones and desire. You transcend, you don't preserve.

There is no death, only birth and birth and birth and birth.

I depart as air. I shake my white locks at the runaway sun. I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass that I love.

If you want me again, look for me under your boot soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean, but I will be good health for you nevertheless.

Missing me in one place? Search another.

I stop somewhere...waiting for you.

• Love 3

Did someone mention this quote from the episode where Nate has this dream about Lisa:

Nate: I feel like I screwed up the only chance I had...

Lisa: I'm not a chance, Nate, I'm a person!

That was a really powerful moment for me.

I love that.

There was also a scene with Nate & Lisa -- after Lisa got the massage from an unwitting Brenda -- when she was calm and in an almost euphoric frame of mind. Nate noticed her changed demeanor and asked her about it. Lisa just said, "You're lucky I love you. You're lucky I do."

I don't know. Just something about that....

• Love 1

A quote that deeply resonated with me, also from season five:

Nate: "I spent my whole life being scared. Scared of not being ready, of not being right of not being who I should be. And where did it get me?"

This is one of my all time favourite TV quotes ever.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm only halfway through the series, but there have been so many laugh-out-loud moments.  Vanessa has quite a few of them.  When Rico does side work for Kroehner, on the woman who was hanging out of the limo sunroof and hit a cherry picker; Vanessa comes to the woman's viewing to check out his work:

"Honey, she really is your Sistine Chapel...  Too bad you gotta bury her."  Then she crosses herself and walks away, shaking her head ruefully!

Another great one is Keith during the paintball game, "Come on, you fa-la-la mimosa motherf*ckers"!

Edited by Kat From Jersey
  • Love 2

When Nate took Claire to Seattle, when he hooked up with Lisa, they had tofu meatloaf for dinner. The next day they were at the drive-thru (right before Nate had a seizure) and Nate asked Claire what she wanted. I can't remember the exact line, but Claire said something like, "I need to eat something that walked the earth!" That line cracks me up every time.

And one of my favorite lines from the series is from S1 (I think) when Keith was talking to Claire about his relationship with David: "When someone sees you as you really are and wants to be with you, that's powerful."

• Love 3
(edited)

Another great one is Keith during the paintball game, "Come on, you fa-la-la mimosa motherf*ckers"!

Bwahahaha! I loved all those paintball scenes. When Keith had David's two fa-la-la friends cornered, he pointed his paintball gun at one and said, "Jeanne" (SPLAT!) and then the other "Tripplehorn" (SPLAT!).

After David's ordeal of being tortured by Jake the hitchhiker, he finally told Claire the truth about what happened ---  a very emotional scene. Claire was shocked and unsure of what to say to comfort him.....

David: While all that was happening, it didn't occur to me to pray. I forgot to pray.

Claire: That's okay. God saved you anyway, right?

Edited by Fisher King
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Ruth's 'The Plan' rant:

“You want me to complain? Alright then, Fuck this. Fuck you; fuck all of you and your sniveling self pity, and fuck all your lousy parents. Fuck my lousy parents while were at it. Fuck my selfish, bohemian sister and her fucking bliss. Fuck my legless grandmother. Fuck my dead husband, and my lousy children with their nasty little secrets. And fuck you Robby for dragging me to this terrible place and not letting me have a snickers bar. I’m going to get something to eat!”

Everything Margaret Chenowith said was pure gold. And her laugh was amazing. It made me laugh every time.

"Oh, please. A couple shots of Stoli won't kill the baby. You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months. Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."

Claire's fantasy song about pantyhose was great. I ripped it to my iPod and listen to it all the time. Lauren's got such a great voice.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 5

Can anyone help me with the scene in the limo between David & Ruth when he was grief stricken about Nate and cant get out of the car? I have searched for years for that scene on YouTube as i remember it touching me so deeply as it reminded me of when my own brother died. Also think it was a high point stellar performance by those actors.

Fave quote off the top of my head for today?

Billy: "I want my ski Iraq shirt! !!!"

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 1

NATE (to Brenda in front of David) "Did you know I taught David how to masturbate ?"

BRENDA: "No.....I've gotta go."

Season 2, ep. 1

{Nate was high on the remaining ecstasy pill after the dinner party with Nikoli/Gabe/ and siblings}

• Love 2

I've already forgotten the first half of the quote after just watching this yesterday, but I cracked up immensely at I believe episode 4, Familia, where Nate is ranting to Brenda about how messed up his family is.  The end of it is "...and I'm worried my sister is not only a drug addict, but an arsonist."

Brenda: "There's a lot of sadness in this house."  Absolutely killed me.

• Love 1

David channeling Nathaniel channeling Buddha: You hang on to your pain like it means something. Like it's worth something. Well, let me tell you - it's not worth shit. Let it go! Infinite possibilities, and all he can do is whine.

• Love 2

Towards the end of season 3, Nate talking to Brenda:

"It's scary to hope that something turns out good, because you run the risk of being disappointed if it's not."

I rewound that and played it a bunch of times.  Really hit home for me, as I never really go out on a limb or take risks for the exact same reason.  Really loving rewatching this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Angela, to Ruth, after the former's being fired and "accidentally" outing David: "I've never worked in a funeral home that was this depressing." 

Brenda, to Maggie, after she tried to give Brenda some food to serve at Nate's wake: "What is this, some 'Quaker' thing? You fuck my husband to death and you bring me a quiche?"

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 11