Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I wish the show WOULD do all of the dumb inane crap to ~honor the comics~, and then mock it like crazy. Team Arrow needs to infiltrate a dance studio, Laurel wears fishnets and complain about them a lot. Team Arrow needs to go undercover at a costume party, Oliver wears a fake goatee and says "I look ridiculous" about 300 times. So on and so forth.

Agree, I think the way they did the boxing glove Arrow was the best kind of homage to the comics. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Well, during all those SDCC interviews, I was happy to hear SA say "My Arrow is my Arrow... the comics Arrow is the comics Arrow." And to hear MG say that their "normal philosophy by this point... is, we use the comic books as a starting off point, not an ending point."

Here's another theory debunked by MG...

No, Green Lantern, Nightwing and Ethan Hawke Will Likely Not Be On Arrow This Year
Russ Burlingame- 07/26/2015
http://comicbook.com/2015/07/26/no-green-lantern-nightwing-and-ethan-hawke-will-likely-not-be-on/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Stephen Amell on Arrow Season Four: "The Arrow is Not an Inspiration...But the Arrow is Dead"
Russ Burlingame- 07/22/2015
http://comicbook.com/2015/07/23/stephen-amell-on-arrow-season-four-the-arrow-is-not-an-inspirati/

The idea of superheroes is often to be an inspiration. How has it been trying to play that while also being a character who has been so morally gray for such a long time?

The Arrow is not an inspiration...but the Arrow is dead, so if there is a new version of that hero, hopefully one of the things that he strives to do is inspire people. That is the basic tenet of a superhero -- that they have to make people believe in something bigger than themselves.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Stephen Amell on Arrow Season Four: "The Arrow is Not an Inspiration...But the Arrow is Dead"

Russ Burlingame- 07/22/2015

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/23/stephen-amell-on-arrow-season-four-the-arrow-is-not-an-inspirati/

This is why seasons 2 and 3 should have been switched.  He spent most of S2 trying to be a hero, not a killer, and even told Slade he (Slade) helped him become a hero by the end.  Then he totally, totally backslid and had that stupid juvenile "identity crisis," which he'd already overcome in S2.  It made no sense.  His relationship with the public and Quentin, etc., showed that he was already inspiring people in S2.  

• Love 6

This is why seasons 2 and 3 should have been switched.  He spent most of S2 trying to be a hero, not a killer, and even told Slade he (Slade) helped him become a hero by the end.  Then he totally, totally backslid and had that stupid juvenile "identity crisis," which he'd already overcome in S2.  It made no sense.  His relationship with the public and Quentin, etc., showed that he was already inspiring people in S2.  

This is a brilliant idea. I think it may have made a world of difference to my feelings regarding Oliver and his journey towards becoming a hero. One of my chief complaints about s3 was that Oliver just seemed to be rehashing old ground that I thought had been resolved satisfactorily the year before. Seeing the man who had so triumphantly defeated Slade (all the while refusing to kill him) turn around a few months later and question his identity and whether he was a hero was jarring. 

I know it would be unrealistic for a hero's journeys to be a perfectly linear one, with the hero going merrily from one life lesson to the other without any second guessing of himself, eventually culminating in self acceptance of a more heroic way of life and himself as a hero but to see Oliver rehash the same issues of 'should I go it alone?, am I worthy?, am I a hero?' in two successive seasons, all the while the newbies pranced around in their suits declaring themselves heroes to all and sundry really made for some eye roll worthy tv.

• Love 11

Yeah, I am certainly fine with two steps forward and one step back, but S3 was pretty much two steps forward and then all the steps, ever, back.  Until the last episode, when a pep talk from Felicity suddenly made him a master swordsman capable of beating a guy who'd been swordfighting for 100+ years, which is the most contrived BS I have ever seen, plus even the pep talk showed how many steps back they'd sent him on, since he literally had to be told that he should be fighting to LIVE.  I mean, what?  How in the world can I root for this moronic loser anymore?

That was my biggest issue, here we had Oliver questioning if he was a hero after he's saved countless lives for 2 years, then we have Barry slapping on a mask, Laurel slapping on a mask and Ray building a suit, all declaring "I'm a Hero now!", having accomplished very little in the time they called themselves heroes. They all had rushed journeys to heroism, while Oliver is still struggling 7 years later. Okay, show. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Not defending the idiotic writing, but Oliver did terrible things. He went around killing people when he first returned from the island (granted, we could argue whether or not they deserved it, but he clearly feels that he shouldn't have done it), and he did god knows what during that 5 years he was away. We're only just now getting to the truly awful stuff starting with him torturing Shrieve. He's got major PTSD, and struggles with a tremendous amount of self-worth issues. He's been through a lot of stuff that Laurel, Barry and Ray never, ever have. So yeah, I can believe that those people would find it way easier to consider themselves heroes than Oliver would, and would do it much, much earlier than him.  

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

I would be okay with Laurel,Ray and Barry calling themselves heroes so easily if the show intended it to be like a they don't know what they're getting into yet kind of thing.But no,the show wants us to see them as heroes equal to Oliver and thats my problem.The biggest issue with season 3 IMO was trying to tell like 3 different superhero orgin stories when Oliver is still going through his.

• Love 13

https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-gotham-best-watched-super-hero-series-1201549117/

Below, the TV series slated for the 2015-2016 season based on comic-book or superhero concepts and their projected “C3” ratings among audiences between 18 and 49 (each 18-to-49 ratings point in the 2014-15 TV season was the equivalent of 1.269 million adults):

“Supergirl,” Monday, CBS, 8 p.m., 2.46
    “Gotham,” Monday, Fox, 8 p.m., 2.36
    “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD,” Tuesday ABC, 9 p.m. , 2.09
    “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” Tuesday, ABC,  9 p.m., 1.89
    “The Flash,” Tuesday, CW, 8 p.m., 1.48
    “Heroes Reborn,” Thursday, NBC, 8 p.m., 1.41
    “Arrow,” Wednesday, CW, 8 p.m., 1.05
    “I Zombie,” Tuesday, CW, 9 p.m., 0.89

Projections were not available for “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” a superhero anthology series slated to debut on CW in 2016.

Like the superheroes they depict, the series seem able to change the course of mighty rivers. Many TV programs are projected to lose some of their “C3” audience year over year. But the superhero programs are proving to be something of a bright spot in a difficult media landscape. The ad-buyers surveyed by Variety see increases in “C3” viewership for “Gotham,” “SHIELD,” “Agent Carter,” “Flash” and “Arrow,” compared with projections made for the 2014-15 season approximately a year ago.

One thing the superhero dramas are not is invulnerable. “Supergirl” may win more commercial-viewing audiences than “Gotham,” but media buyers expect both shows to be handily defeated in their Monday-night timeslot by NBC’s “The Voice,” which is projected to snare a bigger “C3” viewer pool. And Fox’s reboot of “The X-Files” is seen gaining more “C3″ viewers than “Supergirl” among freshman series.

(edited)

After the mess that became of the original Heroes, I really have no desire to check out Heroes Reborn. I think that's accurate. 

I think Gotham will drop because it's really not a good show and they lost Jada. Of course maybe they will be like AoS and turn it around in the second season.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Maybe they are banking on morbid curiousity with Heroes: Reborn? I want to check it out for Levi, but I'm pretty sure I may just forget about it.

Didn't S3 average 1.1 demo? 1.05 would be a decrease then in viewship. Am I missing something? 

Heroes pulled off a good first season, so I can believe the reboot will be good for a little while.

I hear a lot of dislike toward Gotham but I thought it just kept getting better and better.   I still watch AoS but I easily enjoy Gotham much more.  I'm really puzzled by the claims that it's not a good show.  I think it might be something different than some were looking for it to be, (It's not a big action show but more suspense, investigation and character focused) but what it is, I think has been great.  Strong acting, tight storylines, great fights when they happen, a very cinematic set of sets, lots of great locations, a genuine connection to the characters and a deep curiosity for what comes next. 

I'm surprised Arrow is so close to iZombie.  I like iZombie a lot but I didn't think it was performing anywhere close to Arrow levels.  I probably just don't understand the points system. 

• Love 2

iZombie reportedly had outstanding merchandise sales, so it's possible media buyers are working from there.

But wow. It wasn't all that long ago that NBC was ruling Thursday nights (well, ok, yes, it kinda was), and now, a projected 1.41 for Heroes Reborn in the 8 PM Thursday slot? I guess at least they have Variety's projection for The Voice.

iZombie reportedly had outstanding merchandise sales, so it's possible media buyers are working from there.

But wow. It wasn't all that long ago that NBC was ruling Thursday nights (well, ok, yes, it kinda was), and now, a projected 1.41 for Heroes Reborn in the 8 PM Thursday slot? I guess at least they have Variety's projection for The Voice.

My first thought was Get Felicity a Funko Pop.

• Love 3
(edited)

Arrow returns in the fall with its S4 premiere on Wednesday, October 7, 2015 (posting this for the source link)...

The CW Announces Fall 2015 Premiere Dates; October Launches for All Scripted Series Including 'The Flash' & 'Supernatural'
Written By Sara Bibel  June 24th, 2015

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/06/24/the-cw-announces-fall-2015-premiere-dates-october-launches-for-all-scripted-series/422230/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Back in the spring I was unable to access the ComicsAlliance website (don't know why). I used to post their episode reviews (Matt D. Wilson's Pointed Commentary).  Now I suddenly am able to access their website again.  So here's a belated posting of Wilson's review of 3x23...

‘Arrow’ Season 3 Recap, Episode 23: ‘My Name Is Oliver Queen’
by Matt D. Wilson May 14, 2015 9:00 AM
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-season-3-recap-episode-23-my-name-is-oliver-queen/

Ollie says he was dreaming and Ra's launches into one of his long granddad anecdotes about how there are only three kinds of dreams or whatever. I assume the assassins just constantly tune out his droning on and on about absolutely nothing.
Ra's shows off a gold, full-finger ring that, to my knowledge, we've never seen before. (Or at least it's never been pointed to this directly. He definitely wasn't wearing it during the mountain fight back in episode 9.) Apparently, it's the key sign of someone having the title of Ra's al Ghul, and extremely important. It's really there so the title can be passed off easily later.
Look, Ra's, babe. I'm not here to tell you how to unleash your supervillain plans. You're the expert. But maybe just let the hero believe you're only unleashing it in one place while you really release four, so that the plan definitely works? Just a thought.
During all this, Ollie just chills out on top of a building giving out orders. Ra's calls him up and invites him to fight him at Starling City Dam. Ollie asks why he should do that instead of saving the people of Starling, and Ra's says it's because Ollie definitely wants to know if he can beat him in a one-on-one fight. That's enough to get Ollie to abandon saving thousands of people to fight an end boss one more time.
A few things here:
1. Literally all it takes to make someone Ra's al Ghul is give them that ring. It is a ring-based title.
2. If this was part of their agreement all along, how was Ollie going to get Malcolm the ring if he died in the plane crash? How did he know Ra's would challenge him to that duel? It's almost like this is all total nonsense.
3. Isn't Malcolm getting absolutely everything in this deal? All Ollie got out of it was Malcolm not entirely betraying him (even though he kind of did last week).
Malcolm returns to Nanda Parbat and revels in bossing Nyssa around. Just steal the ring off his finger, Nyssa! It's all you have to do!
  • It's also worth noting that comics Oliver Queen really did die in an air crash in 1995's Green Arrow #101 by Chuck Dixon and Rodolfo Damaggio. He was in a helicopter carrying a bio-weapon, and sacrificed himself to destroy it.

Well, at least we got a true wrap-up to the Arrow story. He's retired now with his true love, and that's that. Quite a series finale.

Oh, hey, here's writer and producer Marc Guggenheim with a message for viewers about... season four. There's going to be another one.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Laura Hurley takes on S3 Olicity (the whole article is worth reading)...

Arrow Season 3 Roundup: What worked and what didn't with Oliver and Felicity
Laura Hurley  July 30, 2015 3:15 AM MST
http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-season-3-roundup-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-with-oliver-and-felicity

The task of rewriting the main love story of the show with an entirely different leading lady was one that never would have worked on screen without the lead actor rising to the occasion. Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen proved more than up to the challenge. His complete lack of a poker face about his enthusiasm for the Oliver/Felicity dynamic has been hilarious and endearing from the very beginning, and it’s no surprise that Amell turns in some of his best performances opposite Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak.

Gifted with an incredibly expressive pair of hypnotic baby blues that have allowed Oliver to remain a highly emotional being even at his most impassive, Amell was able to infuse in his character a sense of longing even when the writing did not provide. It was that gaze of his that often saved Oliver from seeming entirely awful in his treatment of Felicity. As written, the cold shoulder after the season premiere was cruel and punitive to a woman who had done nothing wrong; as performed, the cold shoulder was Oliver trying to recover from their disastrous attempt at normalcy together.
Quite aside from forming an angle of an entirely unnecessary love triangle, the relationship between Ray and Felicity presented such an unrecognizable Felicity that the appeal of seeing her with Oliver was not quite as enticing as it might have been. Watching the audience surrogate attach herself like a remora to this new person who had not earned any affection rendered her point-of-view unfamiliar and untrustworthy. Rather than her status as love interest working to legitimize Ray, subordinating her plot in order to play girlfriend to the latest guy with an origin story detracted from her authority as a character.
There needs to be no cheating by either character at any point. Infidelity is lazy, overdone, and unrecoverable. Felicity has been built up as The One for Oliver, and tarnishing their dynamic with something as permanent as cheating would be positively ruinous.

Felicity needs to not die. There’s no telling how long Arrow will remain on the airwaves or for how long the various performers will want to stay on board, but Oliver has fallen too hard for Felicity for the producers to get another do-over.

Oliver and Felicity need to fight. They can be happy and content with each other for most of the time, but they lead stressful lives and both bring enough baggage to the relationship to weigh down a small plane. Some of their biggest conflicts in Season 3 occurred outside of their feelings for one another, and it’s essential that they maintain their independency of opinion. Felicity and Oliver need to remain well-rounded characters of their own rather than existing just as halves of Olicity.
Oliver and Felicity need to not regress in their fights. Few people are at their best while arguing, but rehashing past conflicts as ammunition or falling back into old habits out of reflex would unpleasantly stall the series and the characters when the time has come for an upward swing. It was bad enough that the show forced Oliver to unlearn a lesson in order to justify breaking things off with Felicity in the Season 3 premiere; doing so again in Season 4 would be disastrous.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

During all this, Ollie just chills out on top of a building giving out orders. Ra's calls him up and invites him to fight him at Starling City Dam. Ollie asks why he should do that instead of saving the people of Starling, and Ra's says it's because Ollie definitely wants to know if he can beat him in a one-on-one fight. That's enough to get Ollie to abandon saving thousands of people to fight an end boss one more time.

Love that he pointed this out. I was very WTH! when it happened. Since then I've spent too much time refuting that Felicity wanted thousands to die because she spent five seconds thinking about Oliver's well being first. Funny how there is no active outcry over Oliver actually leaving his mission to save the city from the virus.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is really interesting - third and final part of series (portion quoted below)...

Arrow and philosophy, part 3: homecoming and combat trauma
Matthew Beard  July 30, 2015 2.52am EDT
http://theconversation.com/arrow-and-philosophy-part-3-homecoming-and-combat-trauma-45386

Arrow provides us with two different methods of integrating one’s identity. One, I would argue, is healthier than the other.

The first way of integrating identity is to uphold warrior identity at the expense of other social roles. One of Oliver’s most dangerous opponents, Ra’s al Ghul, provides him with this option. Ra’s invites Oliver to take his place as leader of the shadowy League of Assassins.
What Ra’s offers Oliver is the opportunity to free himself from fragmentation. The cost, though, is to reject his identity: Oliver Queen. Although he declines the offer, many veterans find similar paths too attractive. They re-enlist, become private security, or join the police. At times, however, this can be an escape rather than a solution.
A healthier solution, I believe, is the path Oliver ultimately chooses. A re-commitment to interpersonal relationships. In Queen’s case, his romance with Felicity Smoak. After avoiding involvement with her for several seasons, Queen finally opens himself to vulnerability in human relationships. He learns to trust again, and in doing so, overcomes his dehumanising gaze.

Part 2:
Arrow and philosophy, part two: the morality of killing and violence
Matthew Beard  June 29, 2015 3.46am EDT
https://theconversation.com/arrow-and-philosophy-part-two-the-morality-of-killing-and-violence-44020

Part 1:
The Arrow and philosophy, part one: the morality of vigilantism
Matthew Beard  June 16, 2015 10.32pm EDT
https://theconversation.com/the-arrow-and-philosophy-part-one-the-morality-of-vigilantism-43355

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is How You OTP: 9 Swoon-Worthy Moments on TV
Posted on July 30, 2015, 2:37 pm By Lissete Lanuza Saenz
http://telltaletv.com/2015/07/this-is-how-you-otp-9-swoon-worthy-moments-on-tv/

1. “I love you.” — Arrow

tumblr_nn8evvRveX1sjxzs0o1_400.gif?w=630

Yes, Oliver had bigger romantic moments. In fact, Oliver was the one proclaiming his love all over the place this season, which is why Felicity’s declaration is the one that made my heart almost pop out of my chest. Oliver was in. Well, he wasn’t really in, in the I’m actually willing to give this a shot way, but he knew Felicity was the one. He wasn’t budging.

Felicity’s arc was different. She knew, long before he did. So, when she finally got all that she wanted just for Oliver to take it away without asking her opinion, Felicity was done. She moved on (or at least tried valiantly). She didn’t just want to be a woman Oliver loved. She wanted to be the woman he chose.

Oliver has yet to make a choice when Felicity utters these words. In fact, you could say she utters them just as he’s making another choice to leave her – possibly for good. But the stakes are different this time. Felicity already let him walk away once without telling him how she felt. This time, Felicity chooses to be brave. She chooses to believe in their love. She chooses to fight, even when Oliver doesn’t want her to. This is Felicity making a stand.

See, I’m having heart palpitations, and all I did was write about it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Basically, RAG massively screwed up in [weirdly, seriously, what was up with that] encouraging her to go to him.  Her telling him she loved him and then lovin' up on him probably really helped him resist the brainwashing.  I can just picture him cheerfully daydreaming about all the sex while he's being tortured and isolated, etc.  I think he would have been fine anyway, since he's been portrayed as nothing but strong-willed the entire run of the show, but being able to think back on all that had to have helped.  Another reason RAG was really, really, really dumb [and weird and mildly creepy and a totally pathetic villain].

• Love 1

Thank you @PreviouslyTVRookie!!!

He seems really sweet, and also has a good understanding of his character and his relationship w/ Felicity. I'm excited that he's going to be there for Felicity's story but I truly hope she isn't the only one he interacts with. I just love his enthusiasm :)

It's true, Felicity is superhero catnip ;)

• Love 1

Did you guys know that "Olicity" was created by a male fan back in October 2012? Saw a screen cap of this tweet getting retweeted last night. Apparently, it's the first recorded use of Olicity in social media. Very cool! Can you imagine if Fliver took hold, though? *shudders*

tumblr_nse0i0wSCj1tphqoao1_540.jpg

• Love 11

Another audio podcast with EK - he comes on at around the 17:30-minute mark, so you have to sit through a lot of really annoying host chit-chat and commercials first)...

RONNA & BEVERLY #112: ECHO KELLUM  

JULY 31, 2015
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/mr-terrific/

They only start talking about Arrow (which the hosts are not familiar with) at around the 48:45-minute mark, but very little is said about the show:

-- EK talked about what Mr. Terrific is like in the comics (billionaire, super smart).  "His power is his brain."
-- EK said that Mr. Terrific builds these things called T-Spheres which allow him to do things like fly and create an energy around him, and he can travel to dimensions.
-- EK said that it'll be an origin story.  He'll get a costume. He'll be a good guy.

(It sounds like he's just talking about the comics version of Mr. Terrific and not the show version - unless the EPs told him stuff.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

More from SDCC 2015 (the KC and PB videos are ones I've seen before, but the WH video is a little different)...

Talking ‘Arrow’ Season 4 with Willa Holland, Katie Cassidy, and Paul Blackthorne
FanBolt.com   21 hours ago
https://www.fanbolt.com/65886/talking-arrow-season-4-willa-holland-katie-cassidy-paul-blackthorne/

FanBolt also has articles containing SDCC interviews with SA, EBR, DR and JB, but they are all videos that we've seen before (previously posted somewhere in this forum).

Edited by tv echo

Oliver is not on this list because there is no Arrow without Oliver...

Arrow Season 4: 10 Characters That Absolutely Cannot Die

Not anytime soon, anyway.

Laura Hurley  Jul 25, 2015

http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-10-characters-that-absolutely-cannot-die.php

Laura Hurley clarifies why Felicity cannot die, in response to the following fan complaint...

anonymous asks:

Hello! I read your list/article 'Arrow characters that absolutely cannot die' (I presume it's yours, since it says Laura Hurley) and was slightly irritated by your points on Felicity. I agree, she absolutely shouldn't die, but for more reasons than her being Oliver's love interest. It also felt like you were dismissing her simply as the comic relief, and saying that she didn't have any other importance outside Oliver. Feel free to correct me if you think my assumptions are off!

Jul 31, 2015 3:56 pm

http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/125536865261/hello-i-read-your-listarticle-arrow-characters

Bravo...

‘Arrow': Why John Diggle and Felicity Smoak Don’t Need Costumes to be Heroes

JULY 31, 2015

http://fangirlish.com/arrow-why-john-diggle-and-felicity-smoak-dont-need-costumes-to-be-heroes/

I especially like this line:

"Heroism isn’t measured in physical strength; it’s measured in mental strength."

Bravo!  I loved that essay. Because they are all heroes, even if they don't have costumes. As are many real-life heroes without costumes. I will say though and I know we discussed it before - there definitely needs to be more emphasis placed on identity concealment. Everyone needs codenames or some basic type of in the field concealment, that's just crimefighting & heroing 101.

• Love 1

So I came across this website (the author's apparently a history professor who also teaches popular culture)...

WHY ARROW NEEDS MAMA SMOAK
Poptraction  JULY 19, 2015
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/why-arrow-needs-mama-smoak/

FYI, here's some of this writer's S3 episode reviews...

I AM OLIVER QUEEN FOR NOW (323-"My Name Is Oliver Queen")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/i-am-oliver-queen-for-now/

ARROW - LOVE AMONG THE RUINS (320-"The Fallen")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/arrow-love-among-the-ruins/

ARROW VISITS THE LAND OF OZ (319-"Broken Arrow")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/arrow-visits-the-land-of-oz/

ARROW - WHERE LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD (317-"Suicidal Tendencies")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/arrow-where-love-is-a-battlefield/

WELCOME HOME OLIVER QUEEN (316-"The Offer")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/03/22/welcome-home-oliver-queen/

FELICITY CHOOSES FELICITY (315-"Nanda Parbat")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/02/26/felicity-chooses-felicity-2/

"CANARIES" ERRATIC FLIGHT (313-"Canaries")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/canaries-erratic-flight-path/

THE EMANCIPATION OF FELICITY SMOAK (312-"Uprising")
https://poptraction.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/the-emancipation-of-felicity-smoak/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Those were interesting reads. Especially this from his Canaries review. 

Writing about the rest of the show can sometimes feel like a chore, especially writing about Laurel. I still see little reason for her to become Black Canary in the narrative the writers have presented us with. The best thing that could happen to that character would be to redirect her on a different path – away from Black Canary and away from any romantic relationship with Oliver. As the Internet has pointed out repeatedly they have no spark between them.

This is exactly what a lot of us have been saying. The narrative that Arrow presented to us in no way showed us Laurel was meant for the role of Black Canary other than having the right comic book name. All of Season 2 showed us that Sara choose and was earning that name, while Laurel disappeared so far into the background she wasn't even on multiple episodes. Then suddenly Sara was pushed into a dumpster so Laurel can steal her identity. What kind of storytelling is that?

I also like his saying that some reviewers took a radio silence approach to Laurel. Pretty much meaning if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Perfectly explaining why most reviews barely mentioned her. I guessing her fans took that as a good thing. While yes it stopped the hatred but ignoring her character all together is far worse imo.

And yes, I know some people like Laurel now but if she were to leave the show I doubt those people would care that much. 

• Love 4

Those were fun. I didn't agree with everything but I appreciate some good snark. 

I esp. liked 3x20 for the references to Olicity sex and the 'neutering' of Malcolm by Felicity.

And Canaries for the image in my head of Oliver looking between Diggle and Laurel and then SA breaking character to confirm choosing Laurel is because of the script.

Those were interesting reads. Especially this from his Canaries review. 

This is exactly what a lot of us have been saying. The narrative that Arrow presented to us in no way showed us Laurel was meant for the role of Black Canary other than having the right comic book name. All of Season 2 showed us that Sara choose and was earning that name, while Laurel disappeared so far into the background she wasn't even on multiple episodes. Then suddenly Sara was pushed into a dumpster so Laurel can steal her identity. What kind of storytelling is that?

I also like his saying that some reviewers took a radio silence approach to Laurel. Pretty much meaning if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Perfectly explaining why most reviews barely mentioned her. I guessing her fans took that as a good thing. While yes it stopped the hatred but ignoring her character all together is far worse imo.

And yes, I know some people like Laurel now but if she were to leave the show I doubt those people would care that much. 

At first I thought the EPs would view S3 as a success for Laurel, but now I'm not so sure. Apathy is bad and I'm just seeing a lot of apathy in the media. That can be made up if the fans were passionate about the character, but I'm not seeing much of a change. Not a whole lot of increased traction on measurable data i.e. Twitter. People point to FB as the 'voice', but when they posted the imagine of Laurel for 3x10 it just got a lot of hate. Same when the image was put of Twitter. Plus the responses to Hero FanFest. So overall what has really changed? The media doesn't hate her anymore, but now they hardly talk about her.