Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

‘Arrow’: Stick a fork in Olicity, they’re done
BY CHRIS E. HAYNER AT 06:03 PM ON MAR 23, 2016
http://zap2it.com/2016/03/arrow-broken-hearts-oliver-felicity-breakup-olicity-over/

The way “Broken Hearts” played out was intriguing to watch, as Oliver and Felicity went through their split in completely different ways. While Felicity was calm, organized and collected, Oliver just refused to believe it was all happening.

This is what happens when you keep lying to the woman you love, Oliver.

Let’s be honest, though. The likelihood of this lasting forever is slim. After all, what’s Team Arrow without Overwatch calling the shots?
Still, keeping Oliver and Felicity apart for now is good for the everyone involved. Oliver needs time to work on himself and come to terms with his shortcomings, while Felicity is coming back from a traumatic life-changing event — being paralyzed, not dumping the Green Arrow — and is a much different woman than when first introduced on the show.

Besides, it’s not like them being broken up means either is back on the market. Oliver and Felicity are healing from their split. Perhaps one day it’ll lead them back to each other — but maybe it won’t.

Blastr review of 416 (apparently Felicity isn't allowed to be snippy)...

An Olicity wedding, Cupid returns, and Darhk goes on trial in the latest episode of Arrow
Trent Moore  Thu, Mar 24, 2016 9:52am
http://www.blastr.com/2016-3-24/olicity-wedding-cupid-returns-and-darhk-goes-trial-latest-episode-arrow

The two get to share some heartfelt speechifying during the fake wedding used to lure out Cupid, while Oliver takes full advantage of to win Felicity back. She seems to be somewhat open to what he’s saying, and it’s obvious these two characters still love one another. But, Oliver’s decision to hide his son still cuts deep, and considering how many times he’s kept stuff from her in the past, it’s one secret too much. Though soapy break-ups like this can often feel manufactured for the sake of drama, this one is actually believable on every front. Yes, it sucks for fans wanting these characters to end up together, but Felicity’s emotions in this situation are wholly believable.
But, one note: Back to the raw emotion of the break-up, Felicity got a bit too snippy and snarky while on duty with Team Arrow. It seemed immature for the character, and though it was almost certainly meant to show Felicity trying to process the break-up (in her typically witty way), it almost felt like she was rubbing salt in the wound. Maybe not the intent, but that’s how it came across. C’mon, writers, Felicity is better than this.

Do these writers choose which shows to review or are they assigned? I was thinking about it because I think it's Carissa who said on twitter she is quitting that show if Laurel dies.

Robert Dougherty's review of 416 (scored it 6 out of 10)...

Arrow S4: E16 'Broken Hearts' Review
By Robert Dougherty March 24, 2016 10:10AM EDT
http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s4-e16-broken-hearts-review

No matter how much I might bash on an Arrow episode these days, I have vowed to automatically give them at least two points on behalf of Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards. I have also reserved the right to add an extra point for a big guest, like with Megalyn Echikunwoke's Vixen in the last episode and with the return of Amy Gumenick's Cupid in this one.
Of course, Carrie was already beaten to the punch in ruining Oliver and Felicity, as their post-breakup awkwardness further shows. But other recent things haven't changed, such as Oliver still not apologizing for lying and keeping Felicity out of his life, Diggle actually comforting Oliver without getting a scene to do the same with Felicity, pretty much no one else really talking to Felicity and letting her share her own heartbreak and issues, Oliver getting too much of the p.o.v. in this whole mess, and Oliver continuing to dig his own grave.
Leaning on Amell and Rickards to bail the show out with big scenes honestly shouldn't keep working, since it is partly how it got this lazy in this first place. And yet with Amell's mega heart eyes when Felicity emerges in her dress, tear jerking vows from Oliver that were meant to be said at a real wedding, Cupid's eventual arrival and Felicity's own semi-vows that talk her down, the formula somehow works again.

For 30 minutes, Broken Hearts trips over itself and indulges in this arc's usual idiotic mistakes, just to get to this heartwarming point as an apology. For 20 minutes, it is very tempting to accept that apology and think there might be a promising way out of this. And then the last few minutes come to remind us nothing has really changed, for the show or for Oliver.

Unfortunately, having Felicity come by and reject Oliver for good at the end, even after those vows, is bound to make at least a few fans bash her and turn against her, no matter how in the right she actually is. Once again, because this is still an Oliver-centric show, they make it all too easy for some to interpret that he is the most wronged one in this. Since he is still being coddled by everyone else despite his lies, and Felicity again doesn't get much comfort from friends or any time to share her p.o.v. and issues until the very end, it's a wonder why that is.
On the one hand, having Felicity say point blank that Oliver can't change and let her in completely is a sign that the show knows the real issue. On the other hand, ending two episodes in a row repeating the same point/argument is another sign they are going in circles to delay Oliver really coming to terms with it.
After this episode and the last few before it, Arrow really needs to go more all out than ever before to make Oliver change for good, and to go truly deep enough that it would make sense for Felicity to forgive him -- for reasons other than love and for the death of a loved one. Otherwise, Olicity itself could be ruined irreparably, even if the wedding is back on for next season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Even as a die-hard Felicity fan, I can sympathize with the reviews questioning her need to be so snarky because I, too, think they took it a skosh too far in the lair. Of course she has every right to be feeling what she's feeling--I just wish she hadn't verbalized it so brutally in front of the whole team. After all, she was the one who so badly wanted to still be on the team despite the breakup so it makes no sense for her to then make snide comments every 10 minutes about personal things not having anything to do with the mission at hand. I'm scratching my head as to why the writers felt that was necessary since the fake wedding--which was now forcing her to bring her personal angst into the mission--was enough send her over the edge and leave the team.

• Love 9

'Arrow' Recap: Oliver Valiantly Tries to Win Felicity Back
Derek Stauffer  Wednesday, March 23, 2016
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-recap-oliver-valiantly-t-59367.aspx

The Arrow fandom is split into two separate factions. There are those that absolutely hate the Olicity (Oliver + Felicity) relationship and think it is ruining the show. There is another group who watch the show almost solely for Olicity. "Broken Hearts" is an episode of Arrow that is for the latter group, not the former.
I won't bother repeating them, mostly because they're really long, but the point of Oliver's vows is that he is sorry. He apologizes to Felicity to lying to her and he will never do it again. He loves her and always will and she has inspired him to be a better person and he will always want to be with her. (I'm not crying because that would be pathetic, so let's just say I'm leaking from tear ducts.) Cupid interrupts this happy moment and we go to...
Back on the island, Reiter has Tiana and Oliver come with him to some underground chamber. Inside there is some kind mystical bust on a pedestal. Neither the chamber nor the bust is particularly impressive. It is all very Indiana Jones and not the good movies. It is somewhere between Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom. (That's right Temple of Doom sucks, fight me about it!)
Later, Oliver and Felicity are left alone together in the Arrow Cave. Oliver asks Felicity if she meant what she said to Cupid, if she still loves him. Felicity says she did and she does but they can't be together. She wants to be married to Oliver but she just can't do it. According to Felicity, Oliver will always isolate himself and go back to the man he was on the island. They will never work together as a couple. While that might be technically true, it's still dumb way of keeping them apart. Felicity, effectively, quits the team. She tells Oliver it's not fair to either of them to see each other and not be together. So that's the depressing stupid end to the episode.

About half way thru the episode I wondered if the snark was directed at Oliver at all. I think it may have been at herself. Given her established issues with her own parents relationship, her questioning her own place and giving so much to this relationship. I wonder if she just felt like a fool. Used.

• Love 8

Even as a die-hard Felicity fan, I can sympathize with the reviews questioning her need to be so snarky because I, too, think they took it a skosh too far in the lair. Of course she has every right to be feeling what she's feeling--I just wish she hadn't verbalized it so brutally in front of the whole team. After all, she was the one who so badly wanted to still be on the team despite the breakup so it makes no sense for her to then make snide comments every 10 minutes about personal things not having anything to do with the mission at hand. I'm scratching my head as to why the writers felt that was necessary since the fake wedding--which was now forcing her to bring her personal angst into the mission--was enough send her over the edge and leave the team.

About me. I was dreading the snark because Felicity tends to be a bit cruel sometimes. I think a dig here and there is fine, obviously she's hurting and that's a human thing to do, but it was too much for my taste and only fuels the haters. They don't need fuel. Stop giving them fuel, dammit! 

HiddenRemote spotlights what it considers the 3 best moments of 416...

‘Arrow’ Best Moments from ‘Broken Hearts’
Matt Lozano  by Matt Lozano 11h ago
https://hiddenremote.com/2016/03/24/arrow-best-moments-broken-hearts/

Best Moment #2: The entire wedding scene tonight upended the critics of the romance between Oliver and Felicity. For once, the romantic aspect of the show shined. Oliver beautifully illustrated his love for Felicity through his vows in the fake wedding. Unfortunately, Cupid crashed the party to harm the power couple. Before Cupid blew the building to bits, Spartan and Speedy saved the day as the sidekicks tussled with the deadly archer. They defeated Cupid, but Felicity sadly reminded Oliver that they cannot remain together by the end of the episode.

FYI, their #3 best moment was the Team Arrow chase sequence (after Cupid) and their #1 best moment was Quentin testifying on the stand.

About half way thru the episode I wondered if the snark was directed at Oliver at all. I think it may have been at herself. Given her established issues with her own parents relationship, her questioning her own place and giving so much to this relationship. I wonder if she just felt like a fool. Used.

I felt like Felicity was thinking out loud. Like she might mutter it to herself but she didn't necessarily throw it at Oliver like episode 6.

• Love 6

411mania gives 416 a score of 7.5 (Good) and gives most of the positive credit to SA & EBR...

Arrow 4.16 Review – ‘Broken Hearts’
March 23, 2016 | Posted by Anthony Falco
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-4-16-review-broken-hearts/

Quickly after, it goes back to Felicity and Oliver’s break-up: she is gleefully packing, as the heartbroken Queen watches. She is almost too cheerful: yes, it is her way of coping, yet the way Smoak acts makes the puppy-eyed Oliver the victim, which is not entirely true. Still, even in the split, she plans on staying with the team. On top of this, the main sub-plot of the night is Darhk’s preliminary hearing, where Laurel has to prove, with little evidence, that the state should move forward with the charges. Eventually, she puts Diggle on the stand, where he is quickly ripped apart by the defense. This makes her realize that she will really need some big guns to get to the actual trial.
In the meantime, Felicity constantly berates Oliver, twisting the dagger at every chance she gets: the writers did a real poor job here. As previously mentioned, by having her act like a scorned child, they make Queen the victim. When in reality, it is his fault that they broke up – luckily, they are able to save the storyline in the end, but for a good chunk of the show it terribly blew up in their face.
Now, for the actual wedding, Oliver’s last attempt at getting Smoak back is awfully touching. She delivers her vows quite coldly. He on the other hand goes completely into how she forever changed him and brought him into the light: basically, he will never forget that and always love her. Immediately following this, Cupid joins the party, shoots Oliver and threatens to blow up the building. The viewer even gets a better glimpse into the villain’s sanity, as she calls the couple weak for loving each other. However, she is talked down from blowing up the place by Felicity, who delivers her actual vows. Again, the best aspect of the last season and a half has been Emily Bett Rickards and Stephen Amell: so when Felicity professes her love for Queen, it is poignant yet bittersweet.
So the group is able to stop her – Cupid does kick the crap out of Diggle and Thea before being captured – but the scene leaves a big question mark when it comes to the two’s relationship. And this is where the episode could have gone off the rails: like I said, this whole season has been the writers doing something and quickly backtracking. They paralyze Felicity, only to give her the ability to walk a few episodes later. However, she sticks to her guns and explains why she cannot marry him. She explains that he will forever be the man on the island, and it is as much her fault – for wanting to come back to Starling – as it is his. This grounds the character more and makes up for her appearing childish at the beginning. But at the same time, it is also heartbreaking for the viewers that absolutely love the two’s chemistry: they have been by far the best aspect of Arrow, and while I cannot see them forever being apart, this shows that the writers have spines.
In the end, ‘Broken Hearts’ is far from a superior episode. In large chunks, it can be quite boring and run-of-the-mill. But it succeeds on the shoulders of Felicity and Arrow, who end the show on quite the dour note. Is this the end of their relationship: probably not. Yet this does not feel like a gimmick and is a worthwhile storyline thanks to Rickards and Amell. As for the flashbacks, I will continue to neglect them until I have something nice to say.
  • Love 3

I hadn't thought about it like that, but now that you've said it, it makes sense to me.

I thought her snippiness was the narrative device the writing was using to show that Felicity was saying one thing [i'm fine, please let's not talk about it, let's just work as usual], but feeling the opposite thing [she wasn't fine, trying to work as if nothing happened was not doing her any favors]. And the snark was how that contradiction of displaying vs. feeling was portrayed. The snark was breaking the façade.

But I can see Felicity putting some of the burden on herself -- that she feels foolish for allowing herself to be open to someone again ,when her past experiences [her father, Cooper] should have taught her better. I mean, that's the wrong/unhealthy approach, and she could do with some work at her abandonment and trust issues, but yeah, that's something that I can see her doing.

• Love 7

Since Felicity isn't the type to bottle up her emotions, I tend to see the snarky asides as little bursts of feeling that leak out when she tries to keep things contained.

I honestly don't get the criticism for it in some of these reviews. Is she not supposed to show any emotion, or even have a character flaw? She didn't even say anything particularly bad or cruel?

• Love 13

I honestly don't get the criticism for it in some of these reviews. Is she not supposed to show any emotion, or even have a character flaw? She didn't even say anything particularly bad or cruel?

I don't think that's what they're saying at all. In fact, most of them acknowledge that Oliver (rightly) bears most of the responsibility for the situation they're in and that Felicity has a right to be hurt. What they're saying is that Felicity was making the situation worse by constantly flinging it in his face in the lair as they were trying to do their jobs. I don't think they're wrong. I even cringed a bit at some of the comments that came out of her mouth although I totally understand why she was thinking them.

• Love 4

I don't really see it as Felicity not being able to have a character flaw. I think it's good that she does. But I think they tend to go overboard with it. It happened in 406 too. She made repeated digs at Oliver which were cruel. I don't think she does it to be cruel intentionally but the effect is still the same. She can be snarky sometimes but why they have to have her do it the whole episode is beyond me. Ease off a little and then maybe more people will sympathize with her. As it stands she's getting hated on for being snarky and they could have done without that.

I have really complex diametrically opposed feelings about this. While I cringe whenever Felicity says something mean, I also find Oliver's kicked puppy face extremely hilarious, and so my reaction is "OMG PLEASE STOP FELICITY, THIS IS PAINFUL" at the exact same time as "hahaha, buuuuuurn".

• Love 11

Hilarious as in legitimately hilarious no matter what, or in a 'suck it, you idiot' way?:)

For me it was both, I chuckled at a couple of her comments and cheered her on because I thought Oliver was an Idiot and kind of deserved the snark.

• Love 5

Hilarious as in legitimately hilarious no matter what, or in a 'suck it, you idiot' way?:)

It tends to be hilarious no matter what for me [i'm legit 100% impervious to Steve's face -- it's enough for me that Felicity is affected by Oliver's face, you know?], but there's also the small part of me going "if you weren't a dumbass you wouldn't have needed that burn, sucker."

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

I can understand the feeling, he deserved some, haha. Re: the imperviousness, good for you. Whenever and whoever* he directs the puppy face to (Felicity, Thea, Diggle, the pizza delivery guy) I just want that person to hug him - even if he is a dumbass. Hopeless. 

*Ok, maybe not whoever. When it was to Samantha prevailed murderous feelings, to Poppy prevailed the vomit, to Laurel..it's not effective period. :D

• Love 1

Felicity's snark is something I get a great deal of satisfaction out of watching when she's using it to take Oliver down a few pegs when he's behaving like an asshole. It's something that I get zero satisfaction out of watching when he just sits there and takes it, especially when she's already handed down the consequence of the action that she's angry at him for. There have been times I though he deserved it, and enjoyed watching him get it, but last night wasn't one of them (except for after the fake wedding suggestion, maybe, but at that point she'd already stopped). At this point, I think she's snarked at him in anger to the point where it's not even very effective anymore - it's just something he grits his teeth through until they deal with the issue.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5

I love the snark. I think Oliver is a good guy, even if at times a lying idiot, so he doesn't deserve too many mean comments because he means well but at the same time they are funny, LOL. Also I enjoy them even more because they allow me to cope with the rest of the characters saying that poor Oliver deserves to be forgiven. I'd let go of the snark if the writers stopped telling me that I need to be understanding of poor Oliver's impossible (*eye roll*) choice.

I'm also okay with her having that character flaw. It makes her human and at the same time it isn't something that annoys me and makes me dislike her.

• Love 8

I'm also okay with her having that character flaw. It makes her human and at the same time it isn't something that annoys me and makes me dislike her.

I'm okay with it, too! But like many of Oliver's character flaws, it's something she could stand to work on. I wish that it was something that was addressed (to her) when she's doing it. Last night would've been a prime time for that, I think, but Digg only mentioned it to Oliver. Pointing it out doesn't mean I dislike her, haha. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5

I'm in the minority, but I don't see Felicity as having a cruel streak in last night's episode (or even in 4x06). 

For those of you who think Felicity is too cruel to Oliver, which lines from last night's episode in particular make you think that?

• Love 5

I'm okay with it, too! But like many of Oliver's character flaws, I wish that it was something that was addressed once in a while, because I feel like it's something she could stand to work on. Pointing it out doesn't mean I dislike her, haha.

I didn't mean to imply that who doesn't like that flaw dislikes her, I was talking just about myself, LOL. Because there are some flaws that make me dislike characters as a whole but this isn't one of them.

I didn't mean to imply that who doesn't like that flaw dislikes her, I was talking just about myself, LOL. Because there are some flaws that make me dislike characters as a whole but this isn't one of them.

You didn't really imply it, but I thought that might be what you meant, haha. Thank you for clarifying!

I'm in the minority, but I don't see Felicity as having a cruel streak in last night's episode (or even in 4x06). 

For those of you who think Felicity is too cruel to Oliver, which lines from last night's episode in particular make you think that?

I might just be a simplistic thinker, but I didn't like her snark in 6, but loved it here, and for me the relevant difference is that Oliver didn't deserve it then, but he did deserve it now. I don't mean that as I want her to punish him, bc I think she, unlike me, is better than that. But he caused all this, including HER heartbreak, and this is the effect. 

I totally agree with you that nothing she said in the episode seemed particularly cruel to me. I can think of waaaaay meaner things she could have said. ("Are you sure you want to order Chinese tonight, Oliver, or is that a lie, too?")

• Love 4

But I think what those reviewers are missing is that the snark was used as an in-character way to reveal something about Felicity's emotional state. She is angry and hurt over Oliver's choices and behavior but she tried to put a lid on it and move forward with her life, including returning to Team Arrow business.

Unfortunately, the lid started to crack almost immediately, the anger and hurt started to leak out and by the end of the episode she realized she couldn't go back to the Team because, this time, the hurt was too great. I thought it was actually a nice bit of subtle characterization on the part of the writers.

Tbh, I was glad Felicity got to show a bit of anger towards Oliver. I was disappointed we didn't get to see it when the lying was initially revealed.

• Love 15

'Arrow' Recap: Oliver and Felicity Get Married… Almost
Robert Chan  March 24, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/arrow-recap-oliver-and-felicity-get-married-163812964.html

You should be so lucky to marry a television writer. You’d get to have vows like the ones Ollie gave tonight: “The way that you make me feel is the best part of my life.” Or you could have love described to you like Felicity does it: “Our love gives my life meaning, it gives my life purpose. And it brings us more joy than you can ever take away from us.” Not even a heartbroken Cupid could hate love after that.
Usually, on shows like this, you show someone how much you love them by how many secrets you keep from them. Protecting someone from the truth is basically like buying flowers in the Arrowverse. But Paul Blackthorne has really been able to demonstrate amazing range this season in showing how layered and varied and strong Quentin Lance’s love for his daughter is. He’s accepted that she’s an adult and that she has a dangerous job, and he’s willing to sacrifice everything to protect her even though he knows that he can’t. When he convinces Laurel that testifying against Darhk is their only option, even if it means going to jail himself, the line, “Is that where I get to go on record and say how much I love my baby girl?” feels real in the way that comic book shows often don’t.
— According to the article announcing their engagement, Oliver has a Bachelor’s in Astrophysics. Has that ever been brought up on the show? Can we expect a guest spot from Neil Degrasse Tyson at some point? Also, apparently Oliver has a cousin-in-law who goes by “Alfred LastName.” Weird, but it’s canon now.
01a868eaf1ac262eec202bb32e1df8b9814311ef

— Line of the Night: “Felicity, before I met you, I had a plan. I had a way that I was going to be. But then you walked into my life.” How weird is it to think that the original plan for this show never included Felicity? She was supposed to be a peripheral character that only showed up two or three times. This line kind of also refers to all of Arrow, not just Oliver.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, the lid started to crack almost immediately, the anger and hurt started to leak out and by the end of the episode she realized she couldn't go back to the Team because, this time, the hurt was too great. I thought it was actually a nice bit of subtle characterization on the part of the writers.

We joke about anvils, but I think this is a situation where they maybe could've been a little more heavy handed. Since Felicity's default when angry with Oliver has been to snap at him, this could've been interpreted as that, or, like you said, her inability to hide the hurt while working with him on the team. It probably would've been better if they'd given her a line about it when she told Oliver why she was leaving the team - maybe a mention that she was having difficulty interacting with him, and that at the moment, it was affecting the dynamic - which it was - Diggle (or was it Thea?) commented on it.

Edited by apinknightmare

I also didn't even think she was snarking AT OLIVER particularly -- she was just snarking at everything because the Cupid situation touched a very raw nerve, but she was doing that within earshot of everyone.

• Love 13

The "Guess you didn't have her," and "So many astonishing qualities. I for one can't WAIT to move on to the next chapter." were clearly directed at him too. And I think it's pretty hard to separate the snark directed at ~love~ itself from snark directed at Oliver since he's the one who made her feel that cynical.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1

ARROW’S “BROKEN HEARTS” (S4,EP16): THE TRIAL OF DAMIEN DARHK & OLICITY
Posted on March 24, 2016  by Kelly Konda
http://weminoredinfilm.com/2016/03/24/arrows-broken-hearts-s4ep16-the-trial-of-damien-darhk-olicity/

Oliver Queen isn’t real big on opening up to people. Sure, he’ll do it in season finales and on other such momentous occasions, but sometimes he needs to have his true feelings dragged out of him. Left to his own devices, he’d just sit in the Arrow cave, brood and periodically flash back to his time on pointless island, and then he’d brood even more because his flashbacks would just remind him of all the people he’s failed to save. Occasionally he’d eat. I mean I assume he eats, right? We know he can cook.
Wow. Season 3 Oliver was such a freakin’ drag. By comparison, here’s what he directly told Felicity in “Broken Hearts” after a heartbroken Cupid’s killing spree of famous couples led them to stage an impromptu wedding as a trap: “I will never lie to you again. You are my always, and I just want the chance to be yours.”

Aww, you guys. Our little Oliver is growing up. Look at him being so emotionally available.

What the hell you say? He only made that speech because Cupid put him in that situation. Diggle and Thea both told him to pour his heart out to Felicity, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it until extreme circumstances forced it on him.
This is the Olicity break-up episode where she restates her reasons for leaving, but he refuses to accept that it’s over even as she walks straight out of his life in more ways than one. I’m still inclined to reject the entire premise. It comes down to trust, but the method of forcing Oliver to lie in order to see his son came off so poorly. However, I take solace that this is all happening to an Oliver who is at least trying to embrace life and love instead of actively retreating from them as he was last season.
1. Weekly Update from Pointless Island: Oliver and that one girl stole the prop department’s best version of “generic mystical doohickey” from that one guy, and then easily tricked several soldiers and stole their guns
3. Nitpicks: The Trial – What were the specific charges against Damien Darhk other than “being Damien Darhk”? Don’t they only have him on kidnapping charges since that’s where he was arrested? If so, wouldn’t they need Oliver’s ex and their son around in some capacity to corroborate the charges? Or did that happen off-screen before Oliver sent them away? Would a judge seriously persist with referring to him as “Mr. Darhk” when the legal record shows him to have a different name? Isn’t it a conflict of interest for Laurel Lance to be trying a case against a man who allegedly threatened her life as a successful coercion tactic which resulted in her father committing illegal activities?
5. Nitpicks: Felicity – A couple of episodes ago Felicity was assuring her mom that Quentin lying to her was a sign of how much he loved her. Now she’s all up in arms about Oliver’s lies? Sure, but lying to keep someone save versus lying about a secret lovechild seem like different situations.

Edited by tv echo

The "Guess you didn't have her," and "So many astonishing qualities. I for one can't WAIT to start the next chapter." were clearly directed at him too. And I think it's pretty hard to separate the snark directed at ~love~ itself from snark directed at Oliver since he's the one who made her feel that cynical.

Yeah, I but ended up with the feeling that even if he hadn't been standing there, and it was just Thea and Dig, for example, she'd be saying the same stuff. I don't know.

I sort of find it really bizarre that there's so much commentary about Felicity's snarkiness, because I've never experienced this in any other fandom. The one explanation I can think of is this is my very first fandom in which only a single character is snarky.

But otoh, I *loved* when Oliver went psssst, yo you with the peanut gallery potshots, let's get married, because it was just as much passive-aggressive as what she was doing. Aww, old marrieds.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 4

‘Arrow’ 4×16 Review: ‘Broken Hearts’
fangirlish   MARCH 24, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-4x16-review-broken-hearts/

While “Broken Hearts” did exactly as it promised – breaking the hearts of Oliver, Felicity, and the Olicity fandom alike – you can’t deny how important and sensational this episode was. It did what Arrow does best and delved into emotional elements that leave you paralyzed but never quite giving up.
If you thought this was going to be a quick, semi-painless journey back for Oliver and Felicity then I would’ve warned you weeks ago to strap in for the ton of angst that now crushes this fandom. This was never going to be easy. And you bet damn well that the Arrow writers are going to make this as painful as possible.
So when we picked up on the events of “Broken Hearts,” we found both Oliver and Felicity handling this breakup in entirely different ways. While Felicity was trying to remain as levelheaded and brave as possible, Oliver, in contrast, was an open book of emotional and physical pain. You could physically feel his pain in this episode. The first scene of these two in this episode came at the loft as Felicity was packing her things, which just made this situation all the more real for Oliver and for us.

Once again enough cannot be said about Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards and the emotional weight in which they carry their roles. These are two characters that are obviously incredibly important to them, and they respect them and their relationship in the same way that the fans do. So as Felicity had to remain levelheaded, Rickards skillfully portrayed Felicity as a woman that was tactfully disguising her pain behind humor and strength. Then you had Amell who always manages to make me feel – but he made me feel physical pain as he portrayed Oliver as someone who will never again try and mask his feelings for the woman he loves. No matter how much it physically hurts him.
When Diggle and Thea told Oliver that he needed to tell Felicity where he stands — that he wants to be with her — they said that she needs to hear the words. But that’s not what she needs. She needs to see what Oliver is saying is true, and that can only be done through actions.

While Oliver swore that he would never lie to Felicity again, that wasn’t enough for her. Because while words sound pretty and can even be quite comforting, Felicity has already learned that words are just that: words. And in her experience – and ours – words have been false promises.

• Love 2

Arrow Knows How to Break Our Hearts But Good
Esther Inglis-Arkell  Today 1:48pm
http://io9.gizmodo.com/arrow-knows-how-to-break-our-hearts-but-good-1766841739

Arrow is not a perfect show, but if there is one thing it knows how to do, it’s how to wring our hearts like they’re dirty dish rags. That skill was utilized last night in “Broken Hearts,” and we have the clip that proves it.

When it comes to heartbreak, last night’s episode left everything out on the field. Cupid’s in town, shooting celebrity couples, and the only way to lure her in is for Ollie and Felicity to have a wedding after all! The sham wedding includes each half of the couple saying their version of vows. Oliver goes first, and gives a speech that I only got through by driving a tack into my own cheek. Then Felicity, who has been putting up an almost cruelly unsentimental front all episode, says hers.
This is especially poignant when we realize it’s both her wedding vows and her break-up speech. And thus ends the relationship known as Ollicity... for now.

• Love 2

Where Do Broken Hearts Go?: Arrow 4x16 Olicity Heart-to-Heart
MARILYN PORTER THU MAR 24 2016 12:00PM
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2016/03/where-do-broken-hearts-go-arrow-season-4-episode-16-olicity-heart-to-heart

We’ve had nearly a whole month to get used to the idea of Oliver and Felicity being broken up. But apparently, I’ve been ignoring that reality while Arrow has been on a break, because “Broken Hearts” not only reminded me of that break up, but rubbed my nose in it and it hurt.
We learn, later in the lair, that the team doesn’t know about the breakup yet. Felicity spills the beans and Dig goes right to Oliver to see how he’s doing. The gist is: not well. Dig urges Oliver to fight for Felicity, to tell her that he still wants to be with her. I’m not sure that coming up with a “fake wedding” ploy is the best way to accomplish that, but Oliver Queen’s brain is a strange place, folks. Thea and Dig help talk her into it and at this point, I’m fully in favor of Felicity stepping away from the team. Do any of them have her back, even just regarding her feelings?

Laying a trap for Cupid isn’t a bad idea, but coercing Felicity into this way leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth....
We finish out the episode with a scene between Oliver and Felicity back at the lair. She didn’t expect him still to be awake, but he can’t sleep. Felicity admits that she loves him. But she tells him that she knows he will lie to her again. What I understand here is that Felicity’s trust is damaged because she’s afraid. She never expected Oliver to lie to her, not at this stage in their relationship. Many fans are calling her out as harsh and unreasonable but I don’t see it that way. Because to Felicity, her reasons make perfect sense. Dig is right; she needs time and space to process how she feels and to see how Oliver has changed. How will she see that? He will show her, in the weeks to come. There’s a big death on the horizon, and I’m willing to bet that the way Oliver reacts to that death will factor in hugely in showing Felicity that he’s ready to lean on other’s for support. He will do something to earn her trust again.

• Love 3

OLIVER AND FELICITY’S WEDDING ENDS IN “BROKEN HEARTS” ON THIS WEEK’S ARROW
Verena Cote | March 24, 2016
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2016/03/oliver-and-felicitys-wedding-ends-in-broken-hearts-on-this-weeks-arrow/

... Not only does the first scene since the breakup involve Felicity facing the big debacle of moving out (where to, we wonder?!) but also features Oliver’s very prominent sad face, which is something we just don’t enjoy. Do we feel bad for Oliver? Sure we do, but he has to face the consequences of his actions. While Oliver broods Felicity is handling the breakup in a way at least this writer can identify with: snarky remarks and a dark sense of humor.

The episode also deals with the question of Felicity’s place in the team and Oliver is quick to assure her that she will be part of the team “forever and always”. Sadly, things aren’t always that easy and the tension between the former fiancés is palpable, which ultimately leads to this episode’s most emotional scene at the end: Felicity decides that it is not fair to her or Oliver if she remains on the team, that they can’t be together every night without actually being together. Where Oliver is all sweet words and mostly meaningless talk, Felicity is all about actions, she’s the one who has to make the tough decisions. It does not make her weak, it makes her stronger than anyone else on this show.

What we can’t help but mention is our frustration with John Diggle regarding the breakup situation, and everything else lately, really. We have known Diggle to be the moral compass of the show, and the one person who would not sugarcoat the truth. This episode, however, we are fairly disappointed. His position of “Felicity will come around” and “just give her time” completely disregards the actual topic at hand. Felicity did not break off the engagement over trifles, no, Oliver lied about having a child. It’s a big effing deal and Felicity should have the right to be upset and her apprehension should be taken seriously and not just considered a mood swing she will eventually overcome.

• Love 4

Arrow Season 4: 12 Big Questions We’re Asking After ‘Broken Hearts’
James Hunt   24 Mar 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-big-questions-were-asking-after-broken-hearts.php

Relationship drama is the focus of half the episode, and it’s the part that’s going to cause division and frustration amongst fans. At this stage, where it’s still refusing to fully commit to a resolution either way, and dedicating large chunks of episodes getting in the way of the overarching story, means it doesn’t do much to serve the characters or the plot, whatever your view on Olicity.
Quentin falls on his sword this week, as the only credible witness to Darhk’s numerous crimes. It means committing career suicide, but he’s willing to do it if it means bringing the villain down. ... It should also be said that it was another solid performance from Paul Blackthorne, who has quietly turned Detective Lance into one of the better characters on the show – another element that marks him for probable death.
A bigger question is should we? Many fans wished for Olicity (something even the show calls the couple this week), while others hate the idea of it, either because it goes against the comics and the relationship with Laurel, or more commonly simply because it turns this show from superhero to soap opera.

There’s no doubting the great chemistry between Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards, which is why this relationship happened in the first place, but it has now gotten to the point where it’s dragging the characters and the story down. If they can find a way of making it work, then great, but as it stands it may be for the best that it’s over.
The breakup of Olicity leaves a very big question mark over two key Arrow characters. Firstly, Oliver Queen. He admits that it’s thanks to Felicity he was able to move into the light, and without her there’s every chance he’d still be a killing machine. But there’s always that part inside of him that will sabotage his own happiness.
If it’s unclear how Oliver moves forward, that probably does doubly so for Felicity. She’s ended her romantic relationship with him, and now it looks as though she’s walking away from Team Arrow as well. ... Hopefully when that happens, they can bring back the proper Felicity. She’s one of the show’s best characters, which is why she was the breakout fan-favourite who ended up staying much longer than anticipated, and once upon a time was really fun. There were signs of her getting back to that in Season 4, but the past few weeks have served to undo it, and now she’s a character that half the fanbase can’t stand. ... I’m still a big fan, but she’s been badly served by the writers. Hopefully however they move forward with her character, whether she’s with Oliver or not, they can get back to what made the character so great in the first place.
Arrow Season 4 seemed like having so much potential, with some really strong episodes in the first half of the season and an incredibly compelling villain in Damien Darhk, as well as a slightly lighter tone that helped move past the total bleakness of Season 3. ... Now, though, it’s ran down a few blind alleys and backed itself into a corner....

Edited by tv echo

I read some of these articles and I'm at a loss for words.

All this drama that they talk about, they do realize its a television show right? This can't be the first show they have ever watched.

The talk of Felicity being a problem the last few episodes drives me crazy. It literally boils down to: Happy, Funny Felicity is Great. Felicity in Pain and Not Happy is a Terrible Character. Even if its justified by the show, some reviewers just dismiss all logic because they don't enjoy watching it. The problem isn't limited to Felicity. Thea and Laurel get the same treatment. It's so gross.

Also, half of the fandom hates Felicity...supported by what? Comment sections? Forums? Well that's evidence right there. Rolls eyes. They literally put OLICITY on the TV. They early released Felicity Funko-Pop due to the high demand. Felicity/Olicity is the most used headline for Arrow. Felicity/Olicity show strong in every poll.

But sure. Half the fandom hates her/them.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 21

The problem isn't limited to Felicity. Thea and Laurel get the same treatment. It's so gross.

I think by now it's established that this has always been the root of the problem. If you're a moody male you get sympathy but if you have lady parts you aren't allowed to have any other emotion besides happiness or you're a drag. Half the time I don't even think a lot of the male reviewers realize they're applying a double standard since it's so culturally ingrained--especially in the comic world. That said, I much prefer Felicity adding lightness to the dark story but I'm certainly not going to deny her the right to be upset when the writers insist on piling misery on her.

• Love 12

the past few weeks have served to undo it, and now she’s a character that half the fanbase can’t stand.

It's interesting the variety in the Arrow reviewers. Some are very insightful, and some, like James Hunt, play on the surface.

As for Felicity's actions leading to "half the fanbase" not being able to stand her, presumably since she got angry at Oliver in the cross-over for lying to her about William, I just wish that there was a televised  Jane Eyre so I could read the comments that Mr. Rochester keeping a mad wife in the attic was none of Jane's business.

• Love 12

I think by now it's established that this has always been the root of the problem. If you're a moody male you get sympathy but if you have lady parts you aren't allowed to have any other emotion besides happiness or you're a drag. Half the time I don't even think a lot of the male reviewers realize they're applying a double standard since it's so culturally ingrained--especially in the comic world. That said, I much prefer Felicity adding lightness to the dark story but I'm certainly not going to deny her the right to be upset when the writers insist on piling misery on her.

Agreed, but it also goes the same for female reviewers as well. I've seen many females also shallowly analyze Felicity's and Laurel's attitudes and behaviors in a very negative light. Part of me now just sees this as just extreme bias. If you hate Felicity, episodes like this give you fuel for your hatred and shallow reasons to support your side. If you love Felicity, episodes like this tend to push people into a blind obsession who defend all of Felicity's actions no matter what without any opportunity for criticism. There is definitely a happy medium out there (people who understand what's happening, understand character motivations, give constructive criticism for faults, and understand their own likes and dislikes compared to others and the show itself), but it's the loud extremes in reviews that make me cringe more than anything that could actually happen in any of these episodes.

Like, there's one thing to not like sad or angry Felicity, but to not understand why or to not allow her to ever show emotion is kind of perplexing to me. It's this s3 argument all over again, and the people who thought in the similar way back then, I feel, are sadly not going to change now.

As for Felicity's actions leading to "half the fanbase" not being able to stand her, presumably since she got angry at Oliver in the cross-over for lying to her about William, I just wish that there was a televised  Jane Eyre so I could read the comments that Mr. Rochester keeping a mad wife in the attic was none of Jane's business.

"But Rochester loves her. Doesn't she want a better life than her childhood? Why would she leave him?" "It's not like Rochester was cheating on her" "It's Rochester's wife and house, Jane doesn't really get a say in all that, even though she's marrying him"

I might be being mean, but I can't help it, I loved that part in the book. That being said, I really want a televised Jane Eyre now.

• Love 8

Lol :)

As for the reviews, a question since I read just Arrow's these days - haven't read a review for another show in centuries:) is it that common to bring fans/fandom discussion into it? Shouldn't they keep it to the show - its merits, its faults?