Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:46 AM, chaos is welcome said:

Loved Macha's latest, it was wonderful!

Had to check it out and now I am a snotty, weeping mess.  I think I cried as much over the happy things as the sad.  A very good continuation slash fix to LoT 2046.  But the best fix is for them to not let any of that happen at all.  Just a phone call Sara.  Just a nice warning and so much could change. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Slade is my favorite villain, but I'm really not sure whether I'd wish for that and it's because of Malcolm that I'm wary. If Malcolm's example has taught me anything, it's that long running nemeses aren't really the show's strong suit. Malcolm started out strong as well. I fear Slade would have gotten the same treatment if he had stuck around like Malcolm. 

• Love 2

Part of my problem with Malcolm is JB's performance. He's crazy cheesy. In S1 he dialed back the cheese and dialed up the menace, but since then he's been mostly cheesy. I'm not sure he could change back now. Manu would have kept up the menace the whole time, so yeah, if we HAVE to have a series-long villain (which I don't really want, period), I'd prefer Slade.

• Love 1

Macha has updated Deceive, Inveigle, and Obfuscate. It's most excellent levels of angst and unspoken truths and Dig being exasparated. I'm a little in love with the continuing theme of Oliver's insecurity over how close Felicity and Dig are.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6452551/chapters/15360262

wagamiller has a 419 one shot, 5-16-85, with Oliver and Felicity comforting each other. No comfort sex, which I know is what some want, but very lovely and my personal preference.

http://wagamiller.tumblr.com/post/143701702285/05-16-85

• Love 4

That's adorable and correct. Oliver is screwed if they get kids like that when the day comes for him to say no.

Lord Mesa's post-episode offering is entertaining as well.

tumblr_o6pve68HbW1qziqawo1_1280.jpg

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I have to admit though.  I was kinda hoping for his version of Diggle on the bike with baby Sara on his back. :)

Aw, me too! Does he do requests? Haha.

Has anybody read Before the World Wakes by foreverfelicityqueen (stydiasredstring) & holysmoaksoliver on AO3?

I'm on ch 7 or 8 and I'm not sure if I should continue. I initially started it because it had Tommy and FS working together to find OQ, which worked in a limited or one-shot story I read before. But now I'm not sure if it really works in long-form, because it is kinda messing with how I think FS interacted & worked w/ OQ in the actual show canon. So it's kinda of tough place for me because I love TM & FS interacting, however somehow this story is drawing too much from AU while taking too many liberties with canon at the same time. Also the authors do some random Oliver/Bratva/Akio subplot, which gets really distracting. That being said I love most stories that capture the Flommy friendship that could have been, so giving it up also seems a little hard.

Anyway with that being said, I was just asking if other people have made it further and would recommend it? It's not badly written, I enjoy most of the characterizations. But I'm struggling with it being too much & not enough AU at the same time.

I've been reading it, it's on my subscribe list and I think it's a really good story. I accept the fact that it's AU but for the most part the characters feel real to who I think they would be at that time, I like how she balanced the AU with what we know about the characters.
And I don't mind the Akio subplot - if it really worries you I can tell you that it ends at a future chapter.

Has anyone read a fic on Ao3 called Burning Hearts? It's one of those "soulmate" stories. I'm curious as to what people think. The comments are hysterical to read, i think this weiter might have actually managed to turn her entire audience off Olicity with the most recent chapter. 

30 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Has anyone read a fic on Ao3 called Burning Hearts? It's one of those "soulmate" stories. I'm curious as to what people think. The comments are hysterical to read, i think this weiter might have actually managed to turn her entire audience off Olicity with the most recent chapter. 

I tried it and dropped it almost immediately...it was bad and OOC

(edited)

I haven't read Burning Hearts, and I don't really plan on :p

Also *sigh* Apparently the new chapter of FICON is about 24-25k words... I was hoping that the writers would get on with the story, but these long chapters just turn me off. I don't want to read 50+ page chapters. I think I'm going to wait for them to finish the fic before I try reading it again because waiting for 1 week for an update only to have nothing happen is annoying me now...I love the authors, I love their other fics and think they're talented writers... But 19-25k words is just a bit excessive for me.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Genki said:

I tried it and dropped it almost immediately...it was bad and OOC

Yep.  I dropped after the first 2 chapters.  I just came across it again and read the 2 most recent chapters out of curiosity. The comments are the best part.

3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Also *sigh* Apparently the new chapter of FICON is about 24-25k words... I was hoping that the writers would get on with the story, but these long chapters just turn me off. I don't want to read 50+ page chapters. I think I'm going to wait for them to finish the fic before I try reading it again because waiting for 1 week for an update only to have nothing happen is annoying me now...

I don't even think I would have minded it as much (since it is first-most fluff and I do enjoy occasional fluff) if it didn't start out with a quick-paced plot that wrapped up comparatively quickly to the length that this fic might end up being. Besides, I've already read sex and Oliver and Felicity as parents, and, at this point, the story isn't giving me as much as a unique story as it was in the beginning. Plus, I just selfishly want "Blood Hands" to update already. *shrugs*  

• Love 1
Just now, way2interested said:

I don't even think I would have minded it as much (since it is first-most fluff and I do enjoy occasional fluff) if it didn't start out with a quick-paced plot that wrapped up comparatively quickly to the length that this fic might end up being. Besides, I've already read sex and Oliver and Felicity as parents, and, at this point, the story isn't giving me as much as a unique story as it was in the beginning. Plus, I just selfishly want "Blood Hands" to update already. *shrugs*  

I agree. I think the beginning spoiled me. It was fast paced, the plot and characterization was balanced, and it was different. I wish the writers worked on pacing and balancing more. I really think they could benefit from having a beta to take out the more unnecessary things...

(edited)
36 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Also *sigh* Apparently the new chapter of FICON is about 24-25k words... I was hoping that the writers would get on with the story, but these long chapters just turn me off. I don't want to read 50+ page chapters. I think I'm going to wait for them to finish the fic before I try reading it again because waiting for 1 week for an update only to have nothing happen is annoying me now...I love the authors, I love their other fics and think they're talented writers... But 19-25k words is just a bit excessive for me.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. So glad I noped out of that fic a while ago. I agree with your sentiments about their writing, mostly, but this fic was already dragging way too much about 8 chapters ago, and I'm told the plot has barely moved since I stopped reading. Also, 25k is not a chapter. That's a fic.

Still, I hope those still reading enjoy it. 

Edited by Guest
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oooohhhh. Yeah i dropped that awhile back. Never really got the love you guys had for the story.

I loved the first couple of chapters. It had so much promise and then went nowhere. Seriously, it's like 20 chapters and it's only been something like two days. LOL. 

The writing and characterization in FICON is strong, but I find myself reading the first and last sentences of every paragraph to see if something has happened. It sort of reminds me of some of the writing challenges that come up when writers make the jump from short stories to novels.  They write 200k word novels filled will beautiful passages and no forward momentum.  FICON is supposed to be a thriller of sorts, so the momentum thing is a problems.

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can I ask someone about "kudos" etiquette. Do I only kudo once if I like a story or any chapter that I like?

Kudos can be given at anytime, but only once per story. When I first started in AO3 I gave out a lot of Kudos really early on in stories, but then some of the stories took weird turns and I couldn't get me kudos back. And I know some people search for stories based on kudo numbers.

Now I hold off until I'm through a lot of the story or it's been an amazing chapter that I just can't resist. If I like a story, but don't want to give a kudo I usually just give a comment. Likewise, if I've already given a kudo but there has been an amazing chapter, I will give a comment.

8 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Lol, the long chapters is one of the highlights for me.  If I'm going to actually wait a week to read a chapter, I need it to be worth my time.  I barely get into a story at 3000 words.  I also hate short stories (that aren't fan fic) for that reason.  They never are enough.  The characters never get past that one dimensional feel for me no matter who has written it. 

I get that the pace of the story started one way and shifted gears but it's still about the best thing written re characterization. In fan fic, I'm so much more interested in the characters interacting than plot.  It's also feels realistic in how momentous and important ever moment in these circumstances would feel so all the retreaded moments and the emotional rollercoaster works.  Also liking the notion that this future knowledge might fix a few thing in the future without them ever knowing it. 

The one complaint I had happened in the most recent chapter.  They got the characterization for Quentin in season 2 all wrong. They have him still really antagonistic with Oliver but he'd made his peace with him after Sara's return.  It's the first issue I've really had.  I'm trying to fanwank that he maybe reverted to hating Oliver off screen because he was dating Sara and that dredged up old feelings (but of course he's not dating Sara anymore so why is Quentin so grumpy?)  

• Love 5

I don't mind long chapters, in fact I prefer them because not having the complete story at least it feels somewhat satisfactory to have a lot to read but the problem is the story is dragging out. For me it would have had a bigger impact if they focused on one main plot with one main villain and issue to solve, instead we have Zoom, Slade, Isabel, the press and it's too much. The characterization is great but I think they didn't have a detailed plan in the beginning and the result is underwhelming, it feels they aren't going anywhere.

• Love 3

I still greatly enjoy FICON, but they are meandering a little too much right now. And I didn't need Donna introduced when they still have so much ground to cover.

I need one more hard hitting chapter of something momentous happening and then they can go back to the fluff for awhile.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying FICON a lot I'm happy that long chapters are coming out and they are character focused.

I actually fell that Bloodhands has a lot of stalling in it, whereas FICON is moving things along, but that is probably because I'm all about the Olcity character relationships. Also I do agree with @kismet there was no need, really, to introduce Donna.

Also I'm still enjoying ChronicOlicity's Legacies series current WIP is Legacies: Divided We Fall, she isn't updating as often for the first 2 stories to but I'm always excited to see new chapters.  

• Love 2

I loved the first two ChronicOlicity's stories! But the first one I devoured after it was finished because that was when I learned about it. I enjoyed that experience more than waiting for the other one to be updated. So my plan is to read the 3rd installment when she is done. Her stories are crazy good, that sometimes the waiting between updates can be torture.

As for Blood Hands, Bre needs to get on updating that! :) I would take even a teaser update while FICON and her other fic is holding her attention.

Randomly, does anyone have any good s1/s2 Olicity centric fan fics recommendations? I have a craving for them pre-dating, perhaps even published during s1/s2 when the coupling was just a twinkle in the fandom's eyes.

I like the premise of FiCoN, and I really enjoy Oliver and Felicity's growing relationship - I think the writers have really done a great job with the two of them, and have really enjoyed the character development. I do still read the story, but I do find myself skimming a lot. I think this story is really suffering from serialization. Only two or three days have passed in the fic, but I've been reading it for four months. Oliver and Felicity took to the idea of having this child and being together relatively quickly - they decided to give it a go about two months ago in our time, but it's only been two days in theirs. So, of course they're still having these I-can't-believe-this-is-happening, I-would-do-anything-to-have-this-I-want-it-so-badly thoughts, because it's so new to them. But I've read 100k words about it already - so I feel like their internal monologues meander a bit with repetitive information that we've already been given, so if I see paragraph after paragraph with no dialog, I do tend to skip it. 

I enjoy long chapters on occasion, but to me, long is around 8k words. 25k words is legit nearly halfway to novel status, which is too long IMO, but I'm hoping there's a lot going on in that 25k words tomorrow.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I enjoy long chapters on occasion, but to me, long is around 8k words. 25k words is legit nearly halfway to novel status, which is too long IMO, but I'm hoping there's a lot going on in that 25k words tomorrow.

I'm fully expecting it to be

Spoiler

foreplay, sex, afterglow. 

Does anyone have an idea when The Darkest Hour could be updated? I know someone speaks to the beta of that story.

Stories by ChronicOlicity have been mentioned today. What's their premise? I gathered they were connected-

(edited)
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can I ask someone about "kudos" etiquette. Do I only kudo once if I like a story or any chapter that I like?

For a different perspective, as a (not very prolific) fic writer, I would rather have a comment (Even a short,  "Thanks for writing.") than a kudo.  So I would say, if you have already kudoed, but really enjoy a chapter, please comment and let the writer know.  While yes, people search by kudos more than comments, comments mean more to the writer and can begin to establish a dialogue with someone if you really enjoy their fic.

As far as searching for fic by kudos, I personally use that to look for the top flics in fandom, meaning at least 1,000 kudos generally.  With numbers like that, I don't see much reason to be stingy with kudos, though I tend to wait until the end of a story.

Edited by TrueMyth
  • Love 1

I've never read "soulmates fics" before - I tend to avoid AUs - and just started this "Burning Hearts" because now you got me intrigued, haha. But since it gets labeled as "one of those soulmate stories", I wanted to ask, is the thread in these stories just that there's something that lets people identify their soulmate, or is the "thing" the same in all the stories? Here it's a "soulmate mark". Is there some origin to the idea I'm not aware of, besides the concept of soulmates?

Also, re: FiCON, I like longer chapters, and I actually enjoyed the latest chapter more than I did some recent ones, but yeah I don't blame those who don't read it anymore. If sometime ago I complained about them going on and on about how unbelievable this all was, now this latest chapter had Oliver reflect on the same issue, with different words, reaching the same conclusion, for 3 TIMES. In 3 back to back short paragraphs - with some short dialogue in between, but still.

• Love 1