Type keyword(s) to search

Heroes Of Cosplay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Really good ending.  I thought the Peter Pan's Labyrinth was pretty damn genius.   Hook & Pan were awesome, but I agree, Chloe could have done a lot more with the nightie.

And, DAMN!  We're those Riki's real boobs barely covered by that costume?  At first I thought she was wearing a chest piece, but I think that was really her.

Carl is a idiot.  Why did he say he was so proud of Miguel?  He didn't mentor him, or have anything to do with what Miguel did.   Everybody's stuff looked better than Carls weird crap.  I really don't want to see him next season, if they continue this.  And I hope they do. 

I know she can't really help it, but Indra's voice annoys me to no end.  And I finally realized who she reminded me of:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001491/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t8

She played crazy Rose on "Two and a Half Men".  I think Indra is a dead ringer for her.

• Love 1

All in all, this show is a fun diversion, less interesting than FaceOff at its best, but still watchable.

This episode was a return to the "amateur hour" construction drama that was blessedly missing last week. Katie in particular would have driven me batty if I was with her on a group outfit, since she seemed to spend more time joking/whining that she wouldn't finish than she actually did actually working. I hope she and Carl never get together and have kids, it'd be the worst-dressed (and tardiest) kid in school.

Speaking of Carl, I'm more confused than ever that he was getting praise for last week's mess. What am I missing?

Jesse remains my favorite; well-spoken, mature, and competent. In other words, the opposite of what reality TV producers want. :) related to that, I wish YaYa hadn't been so meltdowny this week (whenever that actually happened) since I've been impressed by her craftswomanship. This costume was pretty amazing, as are all her creations.

Yes, those were Riki's "real" boobs, although I don't think it's "gross"; she's apparently happy with them. I suspected but didn't know for sure if she had implants until this episode, although I was more surprised when they were all toasting the season on the balcony at the end, because I didn't realize just *how* freakin' tiny she is.

I do hope the show comes back- it's gotta be super cheap to produce, so that helps- though with some changes to lessen the manufactured drama and heighten the focus on some of the more impressive pieces.

• Love 3

I actually enjoyed the episode for a change!  And yes, A LOT of costumers bring their sewing machines and finish last minute.

I recently went to Steampunk World's Fair in New Jersey back in May and my friend (who always does things last minute) decided to make a little bolero jacket to go with one of her costumes.  She and another friend put it together, and quite well, on the spot.

I'm not sure I understand what the big deal was about the Sophitia costume.  It was just a little filmy fabric.  It looked like a lot of her other stuff was made already.  Did she have work competing with her costuming?  Why was this such a big deal?  To whine to the others while they had gigantic props and elaborate armor was a little stupid.

I thought Carl in his little outfit with the blond wig looked cute.  That actually didn't suck as a costume, which I liked.

I'm not sure I understood the whole thing about Peter Pan's Labyrinth.  Some rowing on the bed and then Hook shows up (admittedly, the Hook costume was terrific) and then play fight and Hook passes out.  Best in Show?  For sure the Pan and Hook costumes won it for them because I'm just not sure about that skit.

Yaya, oy vey.  It was a great costume, but she should have practiced more. 

I liked the cuddles and happy talk at the end.  It was cute.

And as usual, Jesse was classy.

• Love 2

I've warmed up to Jesse since last season, so I hope he continues to keep pushing himself to do authentic pieces.  I run a metal fabrication shop, so I'm always VERY attentive when the players are working with metals.  I neglected to mention it at the time, but when he cast all those rings for his Mandarin costume, I was very impressed with his skills.  

@Biosynth, I think you mentioned at the time that the market for those types of items is growing.  I can honestly say that in the last 2-3 years, my shop gets a lot more requests for fabricating pieces of "armor", shields, and other assorted con-related items.  And I live in a small town in the Florida panhandle!  

• Love 1
(edited)

I was rummaging around Yaya's site -- I wonder how much of her accessory line she sells, and if she makes them all herself. She does work pretty fast.

As for her signed photos, is this photoshopped or did she wear the tightest waist-cincher ever? I had to take a few deep breaths in sympathy.

Edited by lordonia

I was rummaging around Yaya's site -- I wonder how much of her accessory line she sells, and if she makes them all herself. She does work pretty fast.

As for her signed photos, is this photoshopped or did she wear the tightest waist-cincher ever? I had to take a few deep breaths in sympathy.

That's a fantastic Jessica Rabbit, I had to look up more images it looked so good. She wouldn't have to wear a really tight waist cincher, all she had to do is make her boobs & hips bigger (which I think she did). Like David Byrne makes his head look smaller by wearing big suit jackets.

Yes, those were Riki's "real" boobs, although I don't think it's "gross"; she's apparently happy with them. I suspected but didn't know for sure if she had implants until this episode, although I was more surprised when they were all toasting the season on the balcony at the end, because I didn't realize just *how* freakin' tiny she is.

Yeah, she's a tiny little thing, I could put her in my pocket!  I think she's my fav though, i've really liked the 3 costumes she did this season.  And I don't mind hanging out in the shallow end of the pool and admitting I've got a crush on her!

Overall a nice ending to the show.  its not a perfect show by any means, but it does at least give some insight as to just how much work a lot of cosplayers do to get things just right.

• Love 1

Nothing wrong with hanging out at the shallow end of the pool; Riki is pretty dang cute! I assume as an outsider that's a meaningful part of cosplay, a chance to reimagine yourself as something outside the humdrum workaday life you lead- and be appreciated for it as sexy and compelling- as well as the intricate crafting. These costumes are meant to be worn after all, and this is as true for women as for men who get to roleplay as their favorite fictional character; I'm sure Jesse got plenty of ego-boosting comments about how hot he looked as Thorin. Plus, being really good at something is always sexy, and most of the cast of the show are pretty damn good at this stuff.

For example, I gush about how Ivy Doomkitty is just stunningly, jaw-droppingly hot and amazingly curvy... but I think a poster two or three episode threads ago mentioned she's a mediocre craftswoman to be a judge, and after seeing her outfits for these panels I can agree with that as well. Wasn't that a complaint some cosplayers had about Jessica Ngiri (?) from the first half, that she was more about sex appeal and promotion than fine detail? Eh, whatever makes you happy, and it seems the tent of geek fandom and cosplay is big enough for all types.

They showed that in the first half of the season and it was real.  She nearly passed out because of it, and I think they had to just cut her out of the corset.

(edited)

Those were Riki's real boobs? I thought they were a chest piece because they didn't move at all.

Wasn't that a complaint some cosplayers had about Jessica Ngiri (?) from the first half, that she was more about sex appeal and promotion than fine detail?

Yeah, that was Yaya saying she was concerned about the influence Jessica was having on Monika, because Jessica had suggested the steampunk Poison Ivy costume that had Monika's ass hanging out all over the place and Yaya hoped she'd focus more on craftsmanship than sex appeal. Personally, I think Jessica is fantastic. She's gorgeous and I'd kill to be able to cosplay the way she does.  Plus, she does a ton of her own fabricating and sewing, so... Just saying.

Edited by Pixel
I do hope the show comes back- it's gotta be super cheap to produce, so that helps- though with some changes to lessen the manufactured drama and heighten the focus on some of the more impressive pieces.

I hope it comes back too.  I know its not 100% authentic in relation to how long most cosplayers work on their outfits and how a lot of these shows operate, but its a fun show to watch and see what these coplayers can put together.  Not having any ounce of talent whatsoever in cosplaying I love seeing what goes into this and I appreciate how seriously a lot of these people take this, how invested they are in what they're doing, and how big of fans they are in what they're working with (a couple of them I'm not so sure on regarding that last part though..).

We only see a tiny number of the other competitors each episode, but I'm a little surprised there aren't more duplicate characters. I think it was Yaya who said during judging that she had seen a lot of Tardises over the years. It seems like the people cast for this show, at least, take a lot of pride in coming up with either original ideas or different takes on existing ones.

• Love 1

Those were Riki's real boobs? I thought they were a chest piece because they didn't move at all.

Yeah, that was Yaya saying she was concerned about the influence Jessica was having on Monika, because Jessica had suggested the steampunk Poison Ivy costume that had Monika's ass hanging out all over the place and Yaya hoped she'd focus more on craftsmanship than sex appeal. Personally, I think Jessica is fantastic. She's gorgeous and I'd kill to be able to cosplay the way she does.  Plus, she does a ton of her own fabricating and sewing, so... Just saying.

I wish Jessica would just focus on Cosplay or whatever kind of tv career she wants so Bioware could find someone better committed to actually managing forum community.  She's just awful at it.