Type keyword(s) to search

Whatever Happened to the Old Haunt and Other Show Related Mysteries

Deeda

(edited)

Good luck to Liz and David. I want to check out Madame Secretary, it looks good.  Is everyone jumping ship from Castle's writing room or is this customary in the writers room of long standing shows?! 

Edited by Samantha84

Good luck to Liz and David. I want to check on Madame Secretary, it looks good.  Is everyone jumping ship from Castle's writing room or is this customary in the writers room of long standing shows?! 

I wouldn't say customary, but it isn't something scandalous either. Good writers are hard to find and there are only a certain top ranking seats in a given show. So if somebody is on the lower level of the totem pole but has already proven their claws, it's usual that they are lured by a new show where they can step up.

Maybe it’s also the opportunity to write something different, other than for a formulaic police procedural tv series like Castle. My bias may show but I imagine e.g. politics leave more room for creativity and character based stories.

That would require they put more than the minimum effort into producing the show.

Heh and just what I was thnking.

So much this....

It's incredible to me how many production mistakes there are that so could easily have been fixed if anyone were paying attention or cared. The inconsistencies are not only in the scripts, story and character development but also in the production. I've started keeping a running list of bad production mistakes, like costume issues, hair issues, bad edits, etc. and don't get me started on the "if its suppose to be NYC and they are native NYers, they would never say....., or, they would have to know (fill in the blank).  Of course all it does is frustrate me and confirm how everything on this show is done on the cheap -- cheap jokes, cheap plotline development, etc., not $$.

Castle isn't a show that seems to care, especially in the last couple of seasons, about things that make sense. Characters, wardrobe, editing, lightening. It's like "whatever, we're getting a check".  The lack of continuity is sad and has been for some time. Where is Castle's script supervisor? It's just a mess. My hope is that once this show is done Stana will make her way to an awesome cable network show w. gripping, earnest writing that will showcase her talent. 

• Love 1

In actuality they probably don't do table reads because they've never had the time. It takes them, what, 8 days to film an episode already? Throw in a day for table reads (or take a day of production and tag it for table reads) and you're seriously tacking on time or taking away from their filming schedule.

Do other shows do table reads, other than Shonda's shows? I can't think of one outside Grey's and Scandal. I know it didn't used to be the norm - sitcoms like Friends that filmed in front of a studio audience didn't do them, but they did have rehearsals.

(edited)

Shows, outside of Shondaland, that do table reads: Criminal Minds, Revenge, NCIS, NCIS:LA, Chicago:PD, Chicago: Fire, Pretty Little Liars. Just the ones off the top of my head.  Scandal has a 9 day shooting schedule and they double up on the last day of one episode .. one unit is finishing up one episode and another unit is working on day 1 of another. 

All the shows I've mentioned have about the same day shooting schedule as Castle, if not a day longer, and make the time. Plus some of those other shows are juggling about 3 other stories and more characters/extras than Castle. Just saying. 

Edited by Samantha84
(edited)

Photo of Stana from last week. I so want this to be Beckett's hair for season 7. Give her the same color she had beginning of season 3 [it's already about the same length] and perfect.     Won't happen but I girl can hope, right? ;-} 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1
(edited)

Photo of Stana from last week. I so want this to be Beckett's hair for season 7. Give her the same color she had beginning of season 3 [it's already about the same length] and perfect.     Won't happen but I girl can hope, right? ;-} 

I'm with you Samantha! I LOVED Beckett's hair during season 3. I don't know why they lightened her hair. I feel like along with the lighter hair, Stana also become more tan. I think she looks good, but I prefer her when she's not so dark. I hope that she and the "hair team" will forgo the extensions for this season. I don't imagine she loves sitting in the "hair" chair for an hour each morning. I could be wrong though! 

Edited by Lena

I loved her hair in early season 3 too, and I love it in that picture.

feel like along with the lighter hair, Stana also become more tan.

Yeah, she did.  Maybe she did tanning, but I also think that could be connected to her hair color.  Whenever I highlight my hair people tell me I look tanner....like it's a contrast thing maybe?  But really, Stana's gorgeous and she doesn't need highlights or a tan to show it. Hollywood must mess with people's minds if they all think they need it.

• Love 1

What are your favorite episodes of season 6?

Here's my list:

• Number One Fan
  • Disciple
  • The Good, The Bad, and the Baby
  • Veritas

I can only think of three. S6 overall simply didn't live up to the wedding hype. 

Number One Fan

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Veritas 

As for Stana's hair I'd love her to drop those beauty pageant locks and go back to her more natural colour.  Unfortunately she seems to prefer Beckett to have long, straggly hair which is looking increasingly frazzled and also not in keeping with her job as all action detective.  Not that Castle as a show is any slave to realism granted but her hair being this long does sometimes take me out of certain scenes when it's there whipping around her face. 

As for Stana's hair I'd love her to drop those beauty pageant locks and go back to her more natural colour.  Unfortunately she seems to prefer Beckett to have long, straggly hair which is looking increasingly frazzled and also not in keeping with her job as all action detective.  Not that Castle as a show is any slave to realism granted but her hair being this long does sometimes take me out of certain scenes when it's there whipping around her face. 

I don't think that's really Stana's call, the producers are the ones who would make the decision about extensions.

Maybe they were worried about the Felicity effect or something.  Actress chops off her hair and the ratings drop along with it.  But now that Stana's hair has grown out a bit, it wouldn't seem super jarring to have Beckett suddenly have short hair.  It would just be a minor adjustment.

I liked her short Season One hair. Longer is just too Hollywood and when the actor is constantly fussing with hair that hangs in her face because long hair is harder to handle... it's just distracting.

Maybe, in her grief and hysteria during the premiere, she could hack off most of the length. Perfectly normal women do stranger things. And wouldn't that be something unusual, even unique, on a television drama?

BTW, Stana has beautiful ears in that picture. (Does that sound as weird to you as it does to me?)

They do say when women go through big emotional changes so does the hair so they could definitely work that in to her ongoing trauma over searching for Castle. 

I thought I read somewhere that it was Stana that had decided Beckett should always have long hair at some Paley event but I could have been misunderstanding that. 

They do say when women go through big emotional changes so does the hair so they could definitely work that in to her ongoing trauma over searching for Castle.

I was actually thinking about that.  But they missed their chance of having her cut her hair for the new job last year, so they probably won't do that here.

I thought I read somewhere that it was Stana that had decided Beckett should always have long hair at some Paley event but I could have been misunderstanding that.

At Paley they were talking about her hair cut, and someone (I think the host) asked her if we'd be seeing her cut on Beckett.  And Stana just said she didn't think so, and Beckett was going to stay long.  I didn't take it as her saying she thought Beckett should stay long, just that her understanding was that it wasn't going to change. I suppose I could have misunderstood, or that there was another interview I missed.  She just sounded kind of bored/embarrassed by the whole line of questioning that I didn't think she had a strong opinion.

• Love 1

In this video from the Creative Arts 2010 Emmy ceremony, Stana and Marlowe tell a story about how Stana had tried something new (a short bob) and decided she didn't like it, but had already been cast as Beckett and they shot the pilot. She wanted extensions and if it was up to her, Beckett would have had "long, luscious hair" in episode 2, but Marlowe thought that would be too jarring for the audience - why does Beckett show up in episode 2 with long hair after being introduced with the pageboy? So they compromised and let her grow it out.

The reason they probably don't go with her hair length now (instead keeping her with extensions) is because there wasn't a significant time jump between S4/S5, S5/S6, or S6/and upcoming S7. Plus, it's less noticeable for the audience for her to grow it out; if she showed up one episode with significantly shorter hair people would definitely notice. I suppose they could trim it in waves so that it's less noticeable.

For what it's worth. my favorite hair style is late S1 (the flippy stage) and late S2 (the waves from episodes like "Overkill")/early S3. I like when they give her hair some texture, so the pin straight of early S4 isn't my favorite.

• Love 1

Thanks KaveDweller and McManda. I guess at the Paley event she was a bit embarrassed that something which seemed superficial like her hair was being brought up for discussion in front of everyone. And Marlowe was right she couldn't have changed it just like that it. Even though it was something Stana felt was a mistake (the bob) I must admit I loved her cut back then or the style McManda liked end of S2. That poker straight look they went with for a while did her no favours, there's a cast photo shoot they did when she's got that style and it really makes her look gaunt. 

Hey if anyone can think of a better title for this tread please feel free to post it here and I will change it. Something witty would be great.

The Old Haunt? It's where we hang out and discussion the show but not specific episode breakdowns. General conversation. 

(edited)

I like 'The Old Haunt'.  I also like KaveDweller's quip about "mythology being the new 'organic'" for S7, courtesy of Marlowe.

Feel like we overlap between the 'General Discussion' and the 'Castle in the Media' threads (as we inevitably discuss the media articles after they are posted), but I guess it can't be helped and I don't really mind.

Edited by madmaverick

How about "Hiatus Mythology".  Because anything we say is at least as mythological as anything Marlowe would say ;-).  But I like the current title.  Even though it isn't cute, it's certainly more self-documenting.

Cast/crew are back filming at Raleigh today. I know they shoot out of order so I was a little surprised they filmed the pick up scene after the finale scene first. Perhaps get it out of the way before [more] fans find the location where their filming? lol. Shoot those scenes and film everything else in studio and/or on a studio back lot. 

Wondering when Nathan will be back on set .. or is he already? I.E: today? Hmmmmm? 

The reason they probably don't go with her hair length now (instead keeping her with extensions) is because there wasn't a significant time jump between S4/S5, S5/S6, or S6/and upcoming S7.

There was a time jump at the begining of S6, between the proposal scene and the in DC scene.  Also, people change their hair all the time.  Just have Castle comment on how she's sexy with shorter hair at the begining of the episode.  It shouldn't be such a big deal.   Going from short to long is different, because people don't just randomly grow a ton of hair overnight.

What's kind of funny is in the DVD commentary on the pilot people (I forget who) keep pointing out how you can tell which scenes they reshot later, because of the difference in Stana's hair.

Cast/crew are back filming at Raleigh today.

Did they not do a photoshoot this year? Usually we hear about that, right?

It's just as well if not, since they kind of sucked last year.

• Love 1

What's kind of funny is in the DVD commentary on the pilot people (I forget who) keep pointing out how you can tell which scenes they reshot later, because of the difference in Stana's hair.

Did they not do a photoshoot this year? Usually we hear about that, right?

It's just as well if not, since they kind of sucked last year.

No idea about the photoshoot, you'd think Luke would post something about it.

In terms of the hair and commentary. I'm surprised her extensions weren't affected during the dunking scene in Beast. I don't think we'll get AWM, Amann and Bowman mentioning that on the commentary. Heh.

How about "Hiatus Mythology".  Because anything we say is at least as mythological as anything Marlowe would say ;-).  But I like the current title.  Even though it isn't cute, it's certainly more self-documenting.

We could just call it "Organic General Discussion."  It's subtle, but funny to people in the know.  I thought of "Mythological Discussion", but that may be confusing.

We could just call it "Organic General Discussion."  It's subtle, but funny to people in the know.  I thought of "Mythological Discussion", but that may be confusing.

Marlowe would approve of Organic.

(edited)

I like KaveDweller's suggestion, organic should feature in the title because I only need to hear the word mentioned and I think of Marlowe and all the discussions we've had. 

Edited by verdana
"Organic General Discussion."  It's subtle, but funny to people in the know.

This did crack me up.  Just waiting for someone to preface their question to Marlowe at Paley with, "Mr. Marlowe, I've got a really fun, really organic question for you..." lol.

• Love 1
(edited)

Observation: Stana hair is darker. Good. One of the nitpicks I had last season, especially towards the end, was that Stana/Beckett's hair was to light.  So even w. the extensions at least it won't be 2 shades from complete blond.  

Yeah it was getting far too light I thought it was a mistake, the problem was it was also looking more frazzled too. I think she's much better suited to that darker colour. 

Although I really did love her cut and colour from S1, I've never seen this shot before, great smile, love the movement in the hair and God I want that bloody coat! 

I've heard some say during my trawling of tumblr she looked too "boyish" back then and even rather plain not "hot" enough. Jesus I don't think so. 

This did crack me up.  Just waiting for someone to preface their question to Marlowe at Paley with, "Mr. Marlowe, I've got a really fun, really organic question for you..." lol.

I would give anything to have that happen. I wonder if he realises that it's become a bit of joke in some quarters when he keeps saying that?  Does he do it at home with Terri too? LOL. 

Edited by verdana

Stana's hair is reminding of when she had dark, straight hair on Castle....I forget when that was. :P  So she'll still be wearing extensions this season, I guess?  Doesn't make a huge difference to me one way or the other, but I don't get what the big deal is if Beckett were to have a haircut.  I'm inclined to think that Stana had a say about Beckett's hair and wardrobe over the seasons (though the producers and network had opinions as well no doubt), and perhaps she wanted a more glammed up look.  Her makeup's changed since the beginning as well, and she has her own make up person, so I guess they collaborate on what they want Beckett's look to be.  I do still miss her fresher look from the early days, but maybe Hollywood stylists don't agree with me. ;)

It's interesting to see the actors with glasses as we so rarely see them without contacts, but you got to give your eyes a rest!  Stana's big frames make her look even thinner than usual.  i wouldn't mind seeing Castle and Beckett wearing glasses in bed or something but it's never going to happen.

Luke's plaid suit may be a suitable look for himself but I hope he never, ever makes Castle wear one!!

I see 'the dress' is getting a lap of honour or something. ;)  It might suit a ballroom or someone else's wedding but not so much someone like Beckett.

This did crack me up.  Just waiting for someone to preface their question to Marlowe at Paley with, "Mr. Marlowe, I've got a really fun, really organic question for you..." lol.

I would give anything to have that happen. I wonder if he realises that it's become a bit of joke in some quarters when he keeps saying that?  Does he do it at home with Terri too? LOL.

That I don't want to know!  Maybe them being cuffed together was really fun, really organic heh.  If you throw in 'respect the process' into the question as well, I think he'd definitely get 'the joke'.  Whether he'd appreciate it is another matter.

There are many leads who have their separate hair and make-up people on set so that doesn't stand out, to me. I think her makeup, eyeliner in particular, can be toned down. Stana is a gorgeous woman and she doesn't need makeup caked on by the layers to achieve that, in my opinion.  Stana has her own hairstylist, too.

It's interesting to see the actors with glasses as we so rarely see them without contacts, but you got to give your eyes a rest!  Stana's big frames make her look even thinner than usual.

It is interesting. You can tell those aren't for show glasses either. Can see the side view in some pics and there not glass glasses. Also seen Stana w. those glasses on before .. when she was in Canadian bakery and took a pic w. a fan. 

Noticed a few tweets about Stana looking thinner .. ala start of season 4 production .. and I don't see it. She looks the same size to me. Perhaps, it's like you said, the glasses and maybe the straight hair. Just find it funny that people will always find the "flaws" in the female lead but not the male. Sometimes when women are called too thin .. it's not taken as a compliment. *SMH* The double standard still exists. 

I'm inclined to think that Stana had a say about Beckett's hair and wardrobe over the seasons (though the producers and network had opinions as well no doubt), and perhaps she wanted a more glammed up look.

I remember she has talked about how in this day and age a woman doesn't need to dress like a guy to be in a position of authority over men. That they can be girly and all that and still be respected.  Which I agree with in theory (or at least, I'd like to think it's true).  But I also think a woman can look girly with short hair.

I wonder if he realises that it's become a bit of joke in some quarters when he keeps saying that?  Does he do it at home with Terri too? LOL.

I think Marlowe thinks all the fans love him and would never joke about anything he says.  At least, the "real" fans.  People who question him or his writing just don't understand what he is trying to do, and therefore their complains aren't valid.

• Love 1

I remember she has talked about how in this day and age a woman doesn't need to dress like a guy to be in a position of authority over men. That they can be girly and all that and still be respected.  Which I agree with in theory (or at least, I'd like to think it's true).  But I also think a woman can look girly with short hair.

Yeah I think I recall her saying something like that, can't remember when it was. The impression I got from some of the comments I used to see was short hair = boyish = not attractive and that bugs me. 

(edited)

It is interesting. You can tell those aren't for show glasses either. Can see the side view in some pics and there not glass glasses. Also seen Stana w. those glasses on before .. when she was in Canadian bakery and took a pic w. a fan. 

Noticed a few tweets about Stana looking thinner .. ala start of season 4 production .. and I don't see it. She looks the same size to me. Perhaps, it's like you said, the glasses and maybe the straight hair. Just find it funny that people will always find the "flaws" in the female lead but not the male. Sometimes when women are called too thin .. it's not taken as a compliment. *SMH* The double standard still exists. 

It always annoys me when celebs wear glasses when there's nothing wrong with their eyes. Is it to make them look more intelligent? I don't know why on earth you would want to if you don't need them.  I've seen Nathan occasionally wearing them and he looks even sexier in them, like mad maverick makes me yearn to see him wearing them on Castle, perhaps putting them on whilst Beckett is at her desk and she gets all hot and bothered and terribly distracted and they have to quickly head off home....

A few times Stana has looked a little too gaunt to me but that could be the clothing Luke has picked, I only notice her hair changes and make up sometimes in close ups. I do find if she has poker straight hair she looks more drawn, it drags her face down and doesn't suit her.

It's so much tougher for woman in Hollywood even today, men can get away with a lot more in so many ways. Unfortunately that's just the way it is, happens in the ordinary world too, I find people comment on a woman's looks, weight and attitude without giving it a second thought when they wouldn't do the same if it was a bloke. 

Edited by verdana

Oh God is this Nathan with stubble again or is the light?

jam1ebobam1e
2 days ago · Hamasaku
Out for sushi on Santa Monica Blvd with... #NathanFillion #fangirlmoment

http://instagram.com/p/qnoKCPLKFl/?modal=true

If so I 'd be so excited because that would mean they're filming now with him unshaven. 

Although I'm kind or wary about posting these kind of pictures because it looks like a sneaky shot whilst he's enjoying a private meal. I don't mind seeing BTS when he's on set or at some public event or a fan asks and gets a picture taken with him but otherwise actors too have a right to privacy during their off duty moments.  

Yeah I think I recall her saying something like that, can't remember when it was. The impression I got from some of the comments I used to see was short hair = boyish = not attractive and that bugs me. 

You mean comments from fans? That is kind of annoying, because Stana looked pretty great in season 1.  I prefer her with longer hair, but she was hardly unattractive.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the network wanted to glam up their female lead to get more viewers/attention.  

Stana couldn't look boyish if they tried. 

Angie Harmon as Det. Jane Rizzoli and Daniela Ruah as Agt. Kensi Blye. Both examples of beautiful women who play law enforcement characters and don't wear 5 inch heels, loads of makeup, and it takes nothing away from thier beauty. It brings authenticity to the roles their playing. Also the simple things they do w. the characters .. hair in ponytail at scenes, down at office. Their both kick ass and don't have to look like they just stepped off a runway doing it but you can believe they did even without all the glam. The same can be done for Beckett. Tone down the eye makeup, ponytail the hair at scenes, take 3 inches off the shoes. Boom. Beckett/Stana would still be gorgeous!