Type keyword(s) to search

HTGAWM Anticipation

(edited)

I'm excited but also hesitant... on the one hand, I found the synopsis and murder element very intriguing. I'm already trying to guess who the dead body is, despite having pretty much nothing to go on.* But after I saw the "first look" clip and trailer, my excitement diminished slightly... the majority of the main characters seem wholly unlikable. I know not everyone in the world is on the up and up but the majority of them come off like shady assholes, so I'm not sure that I wouldn't be rooting for (so many of) them to get theirs. I don't think I'd want to tune in every week to see a bunch of smirky jerks, so I hope they become a little more human.

Another thing that makes me unsure about the series is what I find most interesting: the murder element. Wouldn't that shorten the longevity of the series, and/or become a major pain in the ass, if we're constantly reminded, season after season, that, "they could be put in jail for covering up a murder"? How long can they sustain that plot before they finally have to be brought to justice? Is that a built-in way to rotate/cull the cast? Or are they planning to have the professor get them off the hook?

Re: diversity, I haven't seen too many people acknowledging how ballsy it is (for lack of a better term) to have an interracial gay love scene (with implied penetration) in the series trailer. Like, they are not playing around, and I love it. So tentatively, we could say that the show's main character lineup is comprised of: two black women (one of whom is in an interracial relationship), one black man, one Hispanic woman (I think... I always get Latina/Hispanic mixed up, but I think the actress is Mexican), one possibly bi or gay white man (depends on if he only did it for dirt), and one white man. That's pretty dang good.

* As to who I think is the dead body in the woods... for now, I'm putting my hat in the ring for the Asian guy, only because the character who slept with him looked a bit emotional about it, compared to the others. Plus, who could it be that these people would feel the need to cover it up rather than call the police? Probably someone involved in the trial they worked on, no?

ETA: It just hit me how they're going to deal with the longevity of the series with the dead body in the woods. I totally forgot that one of the synopses said that they find the body four months later... so episode 1 would end with that, and episode 2 would probably jump back in time to Day 3 or whatever. So a season could cover a month and it would be four seasons before they had to address that (and likely lose all those characters). So I kinda take back my guess because who knows who they'll have dealt with over the course of four months.

Edited by omgsowicked
(edited)

Just the title of this series had me intrigued and the lead actress as I know I have seen her before. I also watch Scandal and after seeing what Shonda Rhimes gets up to on that show, I don't think that much will shock me. I am wondering too about the show's ability to last given the whole "these people could go to jail" premise, how long would it be before that got old, but if it is written well and the stories have a back story to them, kind of like Person of Interest, this could be pretty good. Anyway time will tell. 

Edited by Lisin
No need to sign your posts.

Re: diversity, I haven't seen too many people acknowledging how ballsy it is (for lack of a better term) to have an interracial gay love scene (with implied penetration) in the series trailer. Like, they are not playing around, and I love it.

I'm all for diversity, but I'm not a fan of love scenes with implied penetration--gay, straight, interracial, what have you. If the story is there, I don't need to see the thrusts. Which is why, although I loved early Scandal and the chemistry between the Prez and Olivia Pope, I didn't need the pelvic thrusts and the facial grimacing.

An explicit sex scene isn't needed for a good sex scene, in my opinion. Get a room.

• Love 5

This NYT Magazine feature on Viola got me a bit more excited about the show. 

ETA: More from the Buzzfeed Brews panel with Ellen Pompeo, Kerry Washington and Viola Davis. I particularly liked this from Viola:

Viola Davis on Always Believing in Herself—and Believing That She Deserved More: We should all do that! "In film, you get a lot of supporting roles," Davis said. "And I feel like now, I want the flash! I think that when you go thru your life you expect to get the best of anything, whatever profession you're in. You expect the world to see you. Especially when you spend 10 years of your life in acting school, which I did. But then you go out there and you see all these walls that are put up there because you are a woman or a certain age or a certain hue, and then it's shocking that people don't see you. I would say. ‘I am good!'  People would say to me, "It's a small part, but you're going to be playing opposite so-and-so.' And I would say, ‘I don't care about me playing opposite so-and-so. I want so-and-so's role!'
Edited by Gillian Rosh

This seemed promising, so I've watched the first episode and despite Viola Davis I felt underwhelmed. Is this 1) a must watch, 2) a nice thing to watch if you have the flu and cannot do much else, 3)  show to binge watch, so wait a bit, 4) don't bother, there's better elsewhere.

Seriously, what do you think/recommend? Despite the joking tone, my question is dead serious :-) Without input I'm going for 4), but if it improves down the line I'd be happy to reconsider :-)   

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm curious what other people think of this series. I have watched two episodes and have three waiting in my queue. And I haven't been in a rush to get to them. Do you feel that this show will be renewed? Should I binge watch this weekend and get caught up? I have loved all of Shonda's shows - Off the Map included - so I am a bit troubled by my lack of enthusiasm for this one.

My .02 - I abandoned all the previous Shonda shows I'd watched (except Scandal, which I continue to hate watch and for the live tweeting). But so far, I am sticking with HTGAWM. It's not the best written show. It still has all the things about Shonda shows that bug me (the plot-drivenness, the lack of character development, the OMG moments deployed for their own sake). But I continue to watch because I simply adore Viola Davis. I'm just mesmerized by her performance. Also, I figure I can stick it out since the season is only 15 episodes long.

Not sure how much that helps you, OjaiHoney.

• Love 1

well I actually have a free weekend coming up and it is supposed to drizzle a bit (California is so hot and dry right now that drizzle excites us!) so maybe I will hunker down and get caught up. Thanks for the input Gillian Rosh!

• Love 1