Type keyword(s) to search

Dominion - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did they call the lower angels eight-balls last season? I don't remember feeling annoyed about it like I did watching the premier. I wish when they told they kid "we call them eight balls," he would have been like, "I swear I only have two!"

I could watch whole episodes of Tom Wisdom just sword-fighting and taking baths. 

Alex is still the least interesting part of the show to me.

Also, David's eyebrows were so distracting.

(edited)

Had to create a topic just to gawp at how young this guy looks. I assumed he was in his late 20s but just noticed he's 42.

He must have drank some of whatever Keanu's got hiding for that lanky, youthful face thing.

Oh, and I enjoy him as Michael, too.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I saw him a few weeks ago on Hannibal and thought, "I wonder why they bothered making Tom Wisdom look like he's in his 40s?" (See this promo still.) Then I found out he actually is in his 40s. Is it just the difference in hair or what? Because on Dominion I thought he was younger than the guy who plays Alex, by a bit.

(edited)

So all that drama with Michael faking stabbing himself and we still don't know which archangel or higher angel was running that scam? I think Lucifer, but will we ever find out for sure? Who knows.  Plus, Michael has sex and we don't get to see him half naked again. This show. The showrunner never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Good to see Alan Dale back as General Risen. At least, he has the brains to be suspicious of the guy. I cracked up at his perplexed reaction to Noma macking on Alex. I don't get how that new human could not walk the five feet to safety. Dumbass.

So the still alive higher angel is going after Vega with the angelic version of a WMD. Cool. I expect Michael will take him out permanently this time around.

It is odd, but I think that Alex is 100 times more handsome this season, maybe it is the scruffy look, but he is hot as hell. On the other hand, I want to hold Gabriel down and shear off that floppy mess off his head.

Nice to see that Claire has a brain. I really enjoyed the break from David. I hope it is extended a couple episodes.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

It is odd, but I think that Alex is 100 times more handsome this season, maybe it is the scruffy look, but he is hot as hell. On the other hand, I want to hold Gabriel down and shear off that floppy mess off his head.

I on the other hand find Alex to look more and more like a Cabbage Patch doll* each episode and I came around to the pro-extermination of human race side of things when Gabriel got the floppy bangs. I ordinarily don't even like bangs on men, but damn, they work on him for me.

*I have developed a backstory for Claire in which during the early days of the war, all her trauma coalesced around the loss of her CP doll. She suppresses  her real sexual impulses and attraction to Arika, Gates and David Whele, among others, because on some level she believes that engaging in an unholy union with the life-size version of Timothy Patrick will take her back to the time before the war. The idea just sprang fully formed into my head; I probably need help.

This show still has unevenness, but more than makes up for it in so many ways. I was totally wrong in my speculation about Julian (but maybe right that Alex isn't evicting the eightballs, he's evicting the human souls?), but moments like Julian's execution at Michael's hands directly paralleling Gabriel's execution of his solider deliberately in the exact same way in front of Julian are why I love this show.

• Love 1

So all that drama with Michael faking stabbing himself and we still don't know which archangel or higher angel was running that scam?

I think in the finale or something, they will revisit this town later to learn about the fire and alleged prophet. Michael will probably be bringing Alex with him. Since it's in Missouri, I want to see Michael flying in, with Alex dangling for his life. Just because.

I cracked up at his perplexed reaction to Noma macking on Alex.

Haha, me too! He was there when Claire married William, did he think Alex would wait around? Loved Riesen's face at the end too; it screamed 'whatever'.

I really enjoyed the break from David. I hope it is extended a couple episodes.

Yes, he's such an annoying villain and should be easily taken out. Let the angels be the only bad guys. At least they are cool.

moments like Julian's execution at Michael's hands directly paralleling Gabriel's execution of his solider deliberately in the exact same way in front of Julian are why I love this show.

Damn, it never occurred to me but you are so right. That was why Gabriel struck down his minion in front of Julian and Julian was so taken aback by the execution. Gabriel has no chill, this magnificent bastard. I love it.

I wasn't sure if I was suppose to be surprised over Julian's eyes turning all angel-like at the end, since it was pretty obvious he was the same guy from the flashbacks, being that Simon Merriells was playing both of the characters.  But having that be the final shot made me thing I was suppose to be all "Holy shit!" about that.  Although, I guess finding out he has one of those vases full of angel death power, is an interesting twist.

Riesen is back!  And surprisingly kind of funny.  I was kind of loving both his reaction to the Alex/Noma kiss and when Alex said his name for the first time and he was all "Didn't want the other guy to know that!  Thanks, Alex!"  Either way, I'm glad he's back. Looking forward to seeing more Alan Dale doing what he does best.

Claire really isn't messing around now.  Sniffs out a traitor and totally kneecaps him in front of everyone.  Hey, that's one way to do it!  Certainly makes her more interesting and I think Roxanne McKee seems to be having more fun with this stuff, compared to last season. I do think tech guy/Nic Bishop is being set-up as a future love interest.

Michael finds out that Hot Leader Lady is going to sacrifice herself to keep the fire going, so he offers up himself, knowing he won't be permanently dead.  He at least makes sure to scare the crap out of the Bearded Asshole, before bailing.  Probably to try and find Alex, I guess.  But I wonder if we'll revisit this group again.

The Michael/Gabriel flashbacks were interesting: especially seeing the moment where they both become who they are now.  How the more violent, warrior Michael realizes he crossed the line, and the more rational Gabriel gets his first taste of killing a human, and begins to become colder.  And the idea that Gabriel is going to attempt the same tactics from the flashback to take out both Vega and New Delphi, is an interesting bit.

Really didn't miss David, even though I love Anthony Head.  But I'm sure he'll rear his head before this season closes out.

I'll comment more later but probably the biggest wtf moment for me was when one angel told Gabriel they couldn't take on two cities at once without Michael.  Really?  So how the hell did they destroy the world - thousands of cities! - when Michael was actively fighting against them?  

• Love 3

I don't know what happened to me lately - I quit the show mid season 1, but now I'm kind of hooked. Perhaps it was the fact that all characters are no longer suffocating in one city? Maybe Alex suddenly got hotter and more interesting once he got seperated from Claire? Maybe Claire got personality? I have no idea.

Either way, I actually enjoy this campy little show... For now. Maybe I'll be out by mid-season again.

Anyhow, this episode.

I still feel more attached to the angels / archangels than mortals. I find myself focused on Michael and his story. Even the love story didn't bother me that much.

I'll comment more later but probably the biggest wtf moment for me was when one angel told Gabriel they couldn't take on two cities at once without Michael.  Really?  So how the hell did they destroy the world - thousands of cities! - when Michael was actively fighting against them?  

One city at a time, baby-angel steps.

• Love 1

The guy who plays Alex played a very similar character in NBC's Kings and I felt like he was the weak link in that show, too. Casting directors must just love him as the seeming nobody who reluctantly rises to heroism.

I felt awful for Rose. I was more interested in her after a few scenes than I am in Alex. The actress was great in the role.

• Love 1

I like how the lopsided hoodie that Michael wears kind of looks like a cape around his neck. I also liked him dropping in on that bearded guy to tell him what's what. Basically I just like everything Michael-related.

Not sure why they thought using the amphorae was less vicious than killing the humans by hand. 

I'm not going to law.  I sit on the edge of my seat sort of hoping that Michael's diagonal v-neck shirt gives him a nip slip.  I figure that's the only reason the costume department chose that outfit, potential nip slips.  Seems only fair that they deliver. 

I still can't help but crack up at the angels being terrified of attacking two cities after having brought the world to the edge of extinction.  They don't need to destroy the cities, just enough to make it hurt and set them back a way.  

So, can someone explain what happened with Julian?  Do angels that have been executed/sent to the cold place by one of the arkangels come back as 8 balls?  And also, why did Julian come back as himself and how come no one has noticed that he was that other angel who enjoyed sodom & gomorrah a wee too much?

I hope we visit Mallory again.  We need to know who this prophet is.  I'm still leaning towards Lucifer being the one.  Though I think it would be cheeky if God were the 'prophet'.  He's such a total arsehole that it would be just like him to make someone die for the sins of others in order to save them from the possessed.  

What's the timeline here?  Was this Michael's 40 days of wandering?  Is William still out there wandering the desert?  Will Claire start flaunting her baby bump soon?  

I hope Michael put the dirt and rocks back in his grave. People gonna freak out if they find it empty.

I found them and their cult-y ways to be tedious in the extreme, so they're welcome to have a village-wide freakout fest as long as I don't have to watch it. I trust we're done with this town altogether -- although I did enjoy Michael-In-All-His-Glory spooking that one lumbering guy.

It looks like the de-veining was real, because the eight balls attacked the de-veined guy in the asylum.    If it was fake, they should have left him alone, right?

I was kind of hoping that the de-veined people would in turn get the power to de-vein eightballs, because right now, this is a fairly useless power in the grand scheme of things.  Alex could spend all day every day for the rest of his life de-veining eightballs and he probably wouldn't make a dent in the eightball population.

• Love 1

Laurel is shady. So quick to accept Michael's sacrifice because God told her it's OK. All this while, when she says God speaks to her, I didn't think she meant it literally.

I may have let out a little whimper when Gabriel felt Michael's pain/death. Now go look for him because their interactions are the best.

• Love 1

Alex only recently learned how to expel the lower agels from human bodies, so I suspect that next step will be an ability to do so en masse. I doubt Julian will be immune, unless he's not an eight ball but some other form of lower angel.

It seems to me Michael deliberately left the grave exposed, "borrowing" the story right out of the New Testament. I got the impression that Michael did somehow feel his Fathe presence, which is why he sacrficed himself and to come to the realization that he had to make things right with Alex. Which is where I suspect headed now.

I was surprised tp see General Reisen there, but I suspect he's learned some humility and his attitude towards Alex will be much improved, I suspect. I haven't a clue about Claire and Vega. She's over her head where David is concerned, but that's why I see a grand reunion coming before the end of this season.

(edited)

In the pilot, it was supposed to be a new development and a Big Deal that other higher angels had joined Gabriel. So I guess the whole world was just overrun by 8-balls and Gabriel didn't need much of a strategy, since he didn't care if/how many of them died. But now the higher angels are fighting and actually care about not dying in the process so attacking two cities is risky.  I think Gabriel is the only one who knows who/what Julian is, doesn't want him to have the Chosen One and angelic WMDs, and knows New Delphi needs to be taken care of now, but I can't figure, beyond petulance and arrogance (i.e. key characteristics of villainy) why he is willing to take on Vega at the same time.  It would make more sense to subtly stir the pot with the V1 rebellion and let Vega implode.

Serious and Important Commentary: I know Claire's head won't get taken off but hopefully that angel will get close enough to take 18 inches off her hair.  She would look so much better (and leaderly) with a bob. She also looks more alive and engaged with Gates than I have ever seen her with Alex.

It looks like the de-veining was real, because the eight balls attacked the de-veined guy in the asylum.    If it was fake, they should have left him alone, right?

I was kind of hoping that the de-veined people would in turn get the power to de-vein eightballs, because right now, this is a fairly useless power in the grand scheme of things.  Alex could spend all day every day for the rest of his life de-veining eightballs and he probably wouldn't make a dent in the eightball population.

I will cling to the idea that Alex is accidentally reconciling eightballs to their bodies until I have onscreen commentary verified by 5 sources that I'm wrong:) The alternative is that Pete is actually going to be this annoying sidekick creature that needs to be killed with fire.  I didn't find the actor or the character of Ethan particularly compelling, but at least his mild comic relief scenes weren't nails on a chalkboard to me and did help establish the world. Plus I really wanted to see his reaction to his friend Noma being an angel given his rabid hatred of angels.

I also live in fear that my poor Noma will end up a victim to the trope of the secondary love interest finding true love with the sidekick.  Give her scenes with Michael, Gabriel, Julian, heck, Riesen.  Claire can call her mom.

I also hope it's not that Julian looks  the same as the flashback angel because he's magically re-bodied, but that it's like when Gabriel possessed the other angel last year and we saw Carl Beukes in the scenes with the other characters.  It's more interesting that the possession can take better in some cases (and backs up the deveiing possibility) Plus it allows for Amy Bailey to come back as whoever Clementine Eightball next possesses; I really enjoyed her performance and would love to have her back.  Has it been established that an eightball evicted from one body can't just go find another?  I don't think it's ever been addressed if getting possessed is still something that happens to people or if all the possessions took place at the same time.

Finally, was anyone else expecting that flashback to include a pre-battle orgy for Michael? Maybe he hadn't discovered sex yet.

Edited by Greta

Not sure why they thought using the amphorae was less vicious than killing the humans by hand.

ITA.  Michael was clearly a laser-focused warrior--what his Dad wanted him to be--and essentially pitiless (swords are!) but he did his own dirty work, and did it with "honor" as he saw it.  He was furious with Lyrae because he considered it vile/dishonorable to torture, and to take enjoyment in that torture.

Gabriel, presumably the "nicer" one, ordered others to do the dirty work for him, and used the contents of the amphorae, which included a darkness that would drive humans crazy or having them smother in blood.  I'm all,  "Did I hear that right? This is what they consider more merciful that a quick death at the end of a sword?"  and I can't say that I see the honor in that.  

It was interesting that all it took was one act to release a darkness that neither brother ever realized was in Gabriel.  It made me wonder if God always intended the two to end up where they are today.  For reasons as yet unknown.  (I also really would love to see the scene where Mikey tells Dad that he won't be His domini canus anymore. 

I assumed, as a tie-in to "Legion," that the flashback was the point where Michael became the "rebel" that the movie Gabriel said he usually was.  

It seems to me Michael deliberately left the grave exposed, "borrowing" the story right out of the New Testament. I got the impression that Michael did somehow feel his Fathe presence,

I think he's genuinely seeking redemption for what he considered his failure in letting his anger get control of him once more (even though I think he had plenty of good reasons to be furious at the betrayals of last season) and he saw this as a way to both do that and to save Laurel.  I suspect he wasn't sure it would be accepted; that gesture when he came out of the grave, looking upward with his arms outstretched struck me as his feeling that all of this meant his Father was granting him some sort of absolution (and also gave us a Christ-like image).

I hope they don't tie the story too closely to Legion, because I prefer the characterizations in Dominion much better (except Jeep- I loved Lucas 
Buck's gentle-souled Jeep and didn't care for the Dominion version). Michael in Legion didn't really have a character arc: he was the catalyst for other people's. I like the idea that Dominion's Michael is stumbling along through an entirely new world trying to make up rules to follow since he likes to follow the rules.

It is a good point that Gabriel had a really dubious notion of what constituted clean killing; it seems like it was more about keeping a distance and his own hands clean. Ironically that seems like what Michael spent 25 years doing in Vega: watching in silence while a toxic power structure was built and focusing on Alex as a magic cure-all (and weapon to kill someone he didn't want to kill with his own hands.)

I will be glad to see David Whele back next episode.  I love the Wheles and their human villainy. Plus I want to see if David can come up with another word to pair euphonically with Helena to insult Arika.

So Pete really was exorcized? Julian is a dyad what now? That angel minion that Gabriel possessed to hurt himself, what's his number? He was cute.

I thought last week's angelwing punching through a grave, was the coolest thing ever. This week's angelwing punching though a door comes a close second.

Imaginary William is so sassy, sad to see him go.

Needs more Michael.

• Love 1

Whelp, I knew not killing David would probably come back to haunt Claire, and sure enough, he somehow, against all odds, might have managed to get himself in league with the rebellion.  I still can't figure out how he pulled that off.  That said, what I really can't figure out is that Claire would banish David, but not only change David's access codes, but completely change everyone's access codes also, just to be safe.  Better to be safe, then sorry, Claire.

At least Claire and Gates managed to survive the attack from Gabriel's henchman, even if they did have to blow up Gates' shelter in the process.  Oh, and they had a "We might die!" like kiss, so I'm sure that's going to keep on going.  Alex who?

Actually, Alex is still busy trying to deal with Julian.  He finds out Julian's nifty little weapon can bring lower angels down and make new eight-balls.  Poor Pete is turned again, but Noma goes all higher angel on everyone, and gets them possession of the weapon. Alex is now threatening to use it to kill everyone in New Delphi, unless Julian plays ball.  Which I think we will... for now.

Michael and Gabriel reunite and decided to briefly team up to get Alex, even if they both know it will end with them fighting each other for him later.  Also, it sounds like Uriel really is dead, unless that other angel was lying about the body for some reason.

I recently binged the entire series and am thinking maybe I should wait until the end of the season to do that again. Because I am losing it, man! Had to go back and re-read episode summaries to remind myself who's who and where they are now. I completely forgot that David wasn't in power in any more, or why.

Lotta alliances being made and broken all over the place tonight. Gabriel and Michael working together should be interesting, for however long it lasts. I never warmed to Pete so was sorry to hear Alex promise Noma that they'd find and save him again. The General's allegiance and ultimate goal are a mystery to me but I wish he'd take a bath while he's deciding.

David teaming up with the V-1s is pretty rich, but I suppose any port in a storm.

Curses, it appears Cousin Oliver is here to stay as the hapless victim to be rescued over and over again. At least I can cling to hope that it will eventually be revealed that both eightballs were actually of better character and that Pete's last meal, during which he was possessed, was after a puppy and orphan killing crime spree.

Poor Gabriel, minion management is so difficult (but so funny to watch). I bet for all his haplessness, Furiad already knew bourbon is whiskey. I like this new one Janeck too though.  And the one attacking Claire and Gates who never talked.

I really enjoyed that Michael was visibly affected by and focused on Uriel's death* for a good long while before managing to remember that Alex is supposedly worth saving. Michael being the one who chose Alex suddenly makes everything make a lot more sense in terms of why the other archangels would be comfortable messing with him- they wouldn't be this cavalier with someone they thought was touched directly by their Father, but if it's just their annoying, highhanded brother's completely arbitrary selection.... 

For all this is supposedly an action-adventure sci-fi show, the best parts were as usual the long talky scenes between two people: Michael/Gabriel, David/William, Riesen/Julian, even Claire/Gates.

*If she really is dead. I definitely don't think William is dead. 

What's the deal with the William hallucination?  Last we saw of the real William, he was banished and left in the the desert.  Why does David imagine William with a large hole in the back of his head?

(edited)

What's the deal with the William hallucination? Last we saw of the real William, he was banished and left in the the desert. Why does David imagine William with a large hole in the back of his head?

David doesn't know his fate but due to his guilt, has convinced himself that William died out there. For some reason he imagined him killed by a shot to the back of his head, instead of the more likely outcome, being mauled by 8balls. (I don't think William's dead. No body is found yet.)

Michael being the one who chose Alex

It's been a long time since I watched the movie but Michael didn't choose him, right? Alex was still an unborn child at that time and the other 8balls were after his mother. They were all just drawn to her. If it could have been anyone, then why did Michael and Jeep not able to read the tattoos when they were on their bodies? Gabriel just didn't want to accept thimgs, I think.

Edited by kwerkee

I like the idea that Dominion's Michael is stumbling along through an entirely new world trying to make up rules to follow since he likes to follow the rules.

I partially agree.  I think he's searching, but not for rules so much as purpose.  Even if he once was a rule-follower--in the sense, I suppose, of obeying God's commands without challenge and/or fulfilling his purpose as the Sword--that all changed not only in the flashback in this ep but also the brief one we saw last season.  He realized that God's commands may have been tests (last season) that he was failing, and that he could no longer blindly be what his designation seemed to demand he be. 

It's been a long time since I watched the movie but Michael didn't choose him, right? Alex was still an unborn child at that time and the other 8balls were after his mother. They were all just drawn to her. If it could have been anyone, then why did Michael and Jeep not able to read the tattoos when they were on their bodies? Gabriel just didn't want to accept thimgs, I think.

That's a "yep."  Not only that, but once the child was born, the lower angels not only stopped attacking because they weren't allowed to touch him but they kept their heads down as the three (Mom, Jeep and Baby To Be Called Alex) went past.  Only Gabriel, an archangel, was able to go after the baby.  So this wasn't Michael's choice at all.  Gabriel is choosing to have a short memory (he also seems to have forgotten that by bringing the de-angeled Michael back to full power, God was essentially saying that Michael had been right).

I think the thing with William is that David imagined his son put a gun in his mouth and blew out the back of his head. Didn't he leave William with a gun specifically to kill himself? Or maybe he left it with him for meager protection, and I just imagined that he assumed his son would instantly "opt out" instead of fighting off any attackers.

• Love 1

I think the thing with William is that David imagined his son put a gun in his mouth and blew out the back of his head. Didn't he leave William with a gun specifically to kill himself? Or maybe he left it with him for meager protection, and I just imagined that he assumed his son would instantly "opt out" instead of fighting off any attackers.

I thought the gaping wound was from some eightball eating the back of his head off, but your suicide theory makes more sense, especially since the hallucinations are springing from David's guilt.

I think a lot of the Legion canon has been changed and/or retconned, for the better.  Because in Legion, Michael specifically stated God was the one who unleashed the eightballs on humanity and ordered Gabriel to lead the attack (and kill the baby... God had specifically created to save humanity...and then changing His mind by re-angeling dead Michael...but, since Dominion is still happening, then God disappeared after the change of heart leaving the eightballs free to roam the earth...where they can now easily attack the Chosen One... yeah, that plot kind of just knots itself around.)  I'm going to just go with the voiceover intro, God disappeared and then his archangels immediately started trying to bring Father back, with all of them believing their way was the right one based on their personalities and this "final" message they got.  It also allows for deeper characterization and better character arcs; from a theological perspective, the angels are experiencing the human faith dilemma for the first time: what does God want?

Plus, Michael choosing Alex for some as yet unspoken reason ties into my one bit of speculation that hasn't been mauled already this season: Alex is Lucifer's son. That's why Michael chose that baby specifically, the one with a link to the last time he was at war with a brother.  Whether it's "neener, neener, I totes stole your kid and he'll be a useful weapon" or some kind of bizarre amends for maybe being a tiny bit happy about throwing his brother out of heaven, or both, still interesting. And bonus points if it was a mistake that ended up screwing humanity by creating the Antichrist.

I agree this William is a manifestation of David's guilty conscience, but I'm not convinced real William is dead.  

Edited by Greta

Okay that makes sense that David imagines William killed himself.  Although, I don't believe he gave him the gun to specifically commit suicide.  IIRC, David gave him a backpack of supplies and a gun.  I think he meant for it to be used as protection.

Alex attempts a dangerous eviction in an effort to save Vega from an impending attack; at the same time, Michael plots their escape from New Delphi; and Claire desperately navigates the fallout of Civil War as Gates travels behind enemy lines to kill a broadcast that threatens peace in the city. Elsewhere, David procures his role in the rebellion following correspondence with an unexpected ally.

(Oops, sorry folks! You're more than welcome to create an episode topic)

No surprise, Claire really should have just killed David.  After briefly considering helping them out to get back in their good graces, David instead decides to go full Team Zoey and just blew up New Delphine's tunnels, not only separating Claire and her group from the food supply, but completely dividing the city between the V1s and everyone else.  That's going to make things harder.  Not only that, but unsurprisingly, it now looks like Arika isn't merely here to "advise" Claire, but is planning on taking over because Helena is currently on its last legs.  So, now Claire's got the David and the rebellion, Gabriel and his angels, and even Arika behind the scenes, against her.  Yikes!

At least the Gabriel battle has been delayed.  Alex and Julian from an uneasy alliance and capture him.  Alex wants to just go ahead and kill him, but Julian seems to have other plans.  They also capture Michael briefly, but at least he manages to escapes, but seems worse for ware.  Alex though (and Noma too), seems like he is already regretting throwing his lot in with Julian.

Riesen seems pretty sick, and Julian offers to turn him into a fellow dyad.  Riesen refuses, but that does sound like something that could end up happening.

Alex is still hotheaded, Noma is still smitten, Arika is still scheming, David is still a villain and Claire is still pregnant (and massively screwed).

Nothing new.

I like Michael, but with Alex he turns into a more boring version of himself.

Overall, this was the episode I actually enjoyed David and Claire more than anything else.

• Love 1

THIS!  Alex is just a sucking void.  Although I am kind of encouraged that Michael was all "Nope" when Gabriel asked him if there was anything Alex could do to turn Michael against him because a) it reinforces my theory that Michael chose this specific brat for reasons and is stuck with him despite Alex being an unempathetic, arrogant moron and b) as soon as someone says "nope" to a question like that, it means  he will absolutely be turning against Alex at some point, hopefully after realizing that he accidentally chose the Antichrist.  And also hopefully right after Gabriel finally gives up on Michael.  I want to see "Gone with the Wings" with Michael as Scarlett, Gabriel as Rhett and Alex as an even lamer Ashley. (I think that makes Noma Melanie, but she is not dying dammit! She can run off with Gabriel or Riesen.) Then there can be a time jump if we must have a savior; it can be the unholy spawn of Claire and Alex, aged to about 8.  Tom Wisdom was really cute with Wee!BetterActor!Alex.

I love David Whele, liberator of the underclasses after two days in the underclasses.

Anyone else suspect Riesen is going to take Julian up on the dyad offer?

Also, Arika is cold. Poor crazy Uriel.

Edited by Greta
  • Love 3

Alex makes everyone more boring. 

I'm a little confused about the angel stuff. Noma was so disgusted by the lower angel trying to possess her. Is that her own body or is she possessing a human body herself? Do all the higher angels have their own bodies? Like, Alex couldn't "evict" Noma or Gabriel or Michael if he wanted to?

Anyway, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Michael strutting about in this sweater, which I like to imagine he crocheted himself in his downtime. https://twitter.com/VaunWilmott/status/629464749311311872 Maybe it will happen in a future episode.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 1

That wink Gabe gave when he dropped an 8 ball on the 8 ball that was about to shoot Mikey.  Wings and winks, Thursday nights are the best.

Julian says no one has ever killed an arkangel before.  Does that mean Uriel really isn't dead or just that Julian doesn't know?  Misspeak? 

Where did they get the paper for that wanted poster?  It's sometimes so hard to believe how well supplied Vega continues to be.  From high heels to hair products to C4 to nuclear power.  Is there anything Vega doesn't have?

It's a little annoying that they inched their way to a revelation on why Alex is so important to Michael only to pull back.  I really hope this season ends with some explanation on what made that particular baby special and why we have to keep putting up with him.  

• Love 1

Alex makes everyone more boring. 

I'm a little confused about the angel stuff. Noma was so disgusted by the lower angel trying to possess her. Is that her own body or is she possessing a human body herself? Do all the higher angels have their own bodies? Like, Alex couldn't "evict" Noma or Gabriel or Michael if he wanted to?

Anyway, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Michael strutting about in this sweater, which I like to imagine he crocheted himself in his downtime. https://twitter.com/VaunWilmott/status/629464749311311872 Maybe it will happen in a future episode.

Julian says no one has ever killed an arkangel before.  Does that mean Uriel really isn't dead or just that Julian doesn't know?  Misspeak? 

It's a little annoying that they inched their way to a revelation on why Alex is so important to Michael only to pull back.  I really hope this season ends with some explanation on what made that particular baby special and why we have to keep putting up with him.  

Higher angels like Noma have their own bodies (with wings) that have always belonged to them.  The lower angels (eightballs) were just disembodied spirits that possessed people en masse after God disappeared.  The dyads are a new concept, since apparently higher angels can be cast out of their bodies by the archangels and then just wander around body-less until they find a way to fuse with a human.  Whether Alex can evict a dyad or a higher angel from their own body remains to be seen, although it seemed like Noma thought there was a genuine possibility she could be possessed by a lower angel.

Tippi, it is now my headcannon that Michael's third favorite hobby was crocheting himself sweaters (hobbies 1 & 2 being brooding and orgies).

Human, I don't think Uriel's dead, but I don't think Julian's comments would mean anything either way.  Even the people in Vega who dropped the bomb aren't sure who, if anyone, they killed.  Speaking of that, Claire being convinced that the angel assassin was proof Gabriel was alive made me wonder (again) why everyone thinks killing Gabriel would end the war.  It's not like he is holding hostage legions of angels who would otherwise be volunteering to build new habitats for humanity.  He's got zero control of the eightballs (unless he's actually possessing one) and it seems like only tenuous control of his army. And even the ones who do like him would presumably be pissed off and destructive if he was killed.  Julian's target was clearly always Michael, although he will probably have to monologue it and add an interpretive dance for that idiot Alex to get it.

I don't mind inching forward and then back on why Alex was chosen by Michael because the mystery (and the possibility that it was a Huge Mistake) is interesting. It's just unfortunate that Alex himself isn't interesting due to one of the flattest lead performances I have ever seen. Is it just me or does the writing this season seem to reflect that and kind of write around Alex as a McGuffin?

Meanwhile, every time there is a battle and humans kill 8 balls, they are murdering humans who could be saved by Alex and his eviction power. Not even Alex is acknowledging this. Makes me dislike everyone.

Alex attempts a dangerous eviction in an effort to save Vega from an impending attack; at the same time, Michael plots their escape from New Delphi; and Claire desperately navigates the fallout of Civil War as Gates travels behind enemy lines to kill a broadcast that threatens peace in the city. Elsewhere, David procures his role in the rebellion following correspondence with an unexpected ally.

Meanwhile, every time there is a battle and humans kill 8 balls, they are murdering humans who could be saved by Alex and his eviction power. Not even Alex is acknowledging this. Makes me dislike everyone.

Unless there's a way for Alex to perform an eviction from a distance and capable of working on multiple 8 balls then shooting them is the only way to deal with a rampaging horde.

• Love 2

Since Alex is the only one who's been killing eightballs who knows that he might be able to evict them (if that really is what's happening), the only one with any moral culpability is Alex.  Noma hasn't killed any eightballs (or even fought any except in self-defense). Neither has Riesen.  No one else (except re-eightballed Pete) knows it could be potential murder of a human being. Even Michael thinks that the best Alex can do is kill the human (slowly and painfully based on Clementine's gasping last season) in the process of eviction.

Alex on the other other hand appears to see trying to save the human as a last resort.  He didn't even try to evict Pete-ball until Pete-ball was literally wrapped around him and Alex couldn't get to a weapon.  Immediately after learning he could successfully evict, he shot and killed an eightball in Julian's army; granted he was sort of defending himself against an attacking army but he was already in the net and it was a useless gesture.  Plus he stated outright to Julian "eh, just an eightball."  If that was supposed to be a bluff covering his inner turmoil, there was no hint of it.  Then on a rewatch (I am obsessed with this show lately) I noticed that when he evicted that eightball in the asylum, it was only after repeatedly trying to free his machete (from the eightball he had just killed) and not being able to. Alex basically "saved" his latest little project because he was rendered unable to hack him to pieces. And then didn't get too upset that the poor newly human guy got ripped to pieces 10 minutes later.

I think since Alex hasn't fully developed his skills yet it makes sense for him not to have enough faith in them to use them right away. So of course he would use them as a last resort. Regarding his lack of empathy - he hardly can be crying over every human he cannot save. That would be a major hold up. Also, they are already a lost cause and if they get a couple of minutes being themselves again, it's a bonus. Hey, I'm just trying to be practical ;).

I really really don't enjoy Claire. I don't buy her as a leader. It just doesn't work. That being said, this is way better than season 1, when they tried to sell us Alex/Claire as Romeo/Juliet. That was the worst part of the show and while I'm sure they'll get back to that, I'll enjoy Alex/Noma while it lasts. Just as much as I enjoy him with Michael. I loved all the flashbacks. They've been seperated for way too long this season.

William is also amazing, I really hope he comes back. I loved season1, but so far season 2 is  even better.

I think Alex has clearly become a lot more blood thirsty.  There was that one scene where he seemed almost happy to be stabbing that higher angel and then smiled when he pushed him to be attacked by 8 balls.  Still, most of his killings of 8 balls can easily be defined as self-defense.  He seems to need them to be somewhat still and very close in order for it to work.  When they are attacking him and trying to kill him, there isn't much he can do as they are unlikely to stop and wait in line as he evicts one after the other.  

It's also pretty unsafe for it to become public knowledge that he can evict 8 balls, especially since he can only evict individually so far.  He never would have even been able to negotiate with New Delphi if anyone there knew he could evict.  Plus, there's Vega.  Gabe is already going after Vega to get at Alex.  It would be morally bankrupt for Alex to make it known his parlor trick without at least ensuring that those who can be used against him are protected.  

• Love 1

I'm sure I'll have walls of text to post later, but that was insane. Noma is hardcore and Kim Engelbrecht was so good she even managed to provoke a glimmer of believable emotion out of Chris Egan.  I hope the show doesn't go the magical healing route, because I want to see Noma deal with the implications of her sacrifice long term.

I'm rooting for almost everybody, except Pete.

• Love 2

I hope Noma doesn't die because she lost her wings, but I do hope she doesn't get them back, because that would be an interesting story over a higher angel suddenly losing her abilities and having to deal with basically being a human.  I'm certainly more invested in her compared to Alex and him losing some of "father's words."

Julian though, must be happy despite them escaping.  He's not got both Gabriel and Michael in his clutches!  I don't want to be in their shoes.

Somehow, both Claire and David seem to gain and loose something in this episode.  The V6s are still separated from their food supply and the rebellion seems to be growing, but Gates was able to stop the transmission and her speech apparently stopped things from getting too bad.  Plus, she now knows that she has a traitor in her mix, so maybe she'll start figuring out Arika's game soon.  Meanwhile, David might have gain footing over Claire, but Zoey just showed him that it ain't going to be fun and games, after shooting his hand.  Welcome to being second fiddle, David!

What happened to Riesen?  Last we saw him, he was clutching his chest after Julian smacked him, and he didn't run with Alex and Noma.  Is he also Julian's prisoner?