Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Sign Language

Original Air Date: October 16, 2018

In the Season 2 premiere, Lena searches for signs that she and Martin are meant to be a couple the morning after they sleep together. Their relationship is put to the test after she organizes a romantic beach getaway and it becomes apparent what's meant to be. Meanwhile, Arthur and Camille trail Lisa Apple, hoping to determine if she is pregnant with Martin's baby. Elsewhere, Maya struggles to decide if she should tell her new boyfriend, Frank, about her pregnancy.

The bleeping of the curse words annoys me. If the show runners wanted to use that language why not get the show on a channel which allows it. Also, can no one just address her as Lisa instead of saying Lisa Apple every time?

They had a couple of sweet moments between Martin and Lena but yeah, the premise would be ruined if they reunited. Maybe Lena might wind up pregnant from their special weekend.

• Love 1

I kind of hate that Martin was all "so glad Lena's finally changed...we need New Lena...that's something Old Lena would do and that's why we divorced".   I know he resolved the house issue on that phone call after Lena prompted him to, but it seemed pretty clear overall that he wasn't accepting much of the responsibility for why they split up in the first place.    (FWIW, I thought Lena's complaints about the house were totally legit and complaint worthy!)

I really hope they don't make Lisa Apple pregnant.  Ugh.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I kind of hate that Martin was all "so glad Lena's finally changed...we need New Lena...that's something Old Lena would do and that's why we divorced".   I know he resolved the house issue on that phone call after Lena prompted him to, but it seemed pretty clear overall that he wasn't accepting much of the responsibility for why they split up in the first place.    (FWIW, I thought Lena's complaints about the house were totally legit and complaint worthy!)

I really hope they don't make Lisa Apple pregnant.  Ugh.  

See there is the problem, they want to keep the concept of the show. However, they continue have Martin be this very oblivious idiot. Even the house is "under water" crap, which even Lisa realized was bullshit couldn't be constantly used. However, they are now showing they want to keep reasons for Martin and Lena part. That can be either that Lena wants things that Martin just doesn't understand or throw in this entire: "is Lisa pregnant or not crap" they want to drag out. Plus how ABC keeps saying: "The his=t comedy from last year!" No, it's called; "Rosanne Barr was a dumb ass who got herself fired, and we couldn't get the Sue spin-off from The Middle up sooner than January. So we saved this show instead since the ratings were decent and we have no other shows to air." 

Edited by readster

Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like this show. Maybe they could stop with the will-they or won't-they, and just have it as a pseudo-version of Modern Family, where you have family and friends and their silly suburban lives.

I will say Lena questioning the bed was ridiculous. A king bed looks absolutely nothing like a full. And didn't it look like it was almost a pull-out sofa, and not a real bed?

• Love 6

I kept swearing last season that I was going to stop watching this relentlessly stupid show. But (a) I adore Jenna Fischer and (b) my wife and I divorced and remarried, so we kinda relate.

The bed thing was a good example of the aforementioned stupidity. I can tell the difference between a king- and queen-sized bed at a glance. She had to lift up the mattress and then check the sheets?? Jeez.

Edited by FiveString
Spelling counts for 10% of your grade
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, readster said:

See there is the problem, they want to keep the concept of the show. However, they continue have Martin be this very oblivious idiot. Even the house is "under water" crap, which even Lisa realized was bullshit couldn't be constantly used. However, they are now showing they want to keep reasons for Martin and Lena part. That can be either that Lena wants things that Martin just doesn't understand or throw in this entire: "is Lisa pregnant or not crap" they want to drag out. Plus how ABC keeps saying: "The his=t comedy from last year!" No, it's called; "Rosanne Barr was a dumb ass who got herself fired, and we couldn't get the Sue spin-off from The Middle up sooner than January. So we saved this show instead since the ratings were decent and we have no other shows to air." 

They could've tossed this on Friday and kept Speechless on Tuesdays

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

They could've tossed this on Friday and kept Speechless on Tuesdays

Completely agree. Give Speechless a better audience and go see if really anyone cared about Splitting Up on Fridays. 

• Love 2

Enjoyed the premiere. Not sure where they are going as a couple at this point. Lena would drive me to drink personally, not because I don't get that the listing was way off but she really gets distracted and obsessed by it, this was just another example of it. She could've made that call in the first hour or two and been done with it and enjoy their pseudo honeymoon if they remained there.

I don't see a problem with them getting back together in their current form and going against the concept of the show. I don't see them getting remarried, which would be the real them back together.  I think they are showing the messiness of the situation they've set up, and backslides can happen like this. 

I don't think Lena's modern enough to deal with Lisa Apple's pregnancy and be in a relationship with Martin, but guess we'll see. Lisa's presence is annoying on the one hand, but also when Lena is at her funniest on the other hand. ****ing Lisa Apple and her big fake glasses. 

I love the bleep of the curses. It's how it was done on Arrested Development and shows since have used it similarly. The bleep is part of the fun, they don't want to say the actual curse.