Type keyword(s) to search

Returning Characters

Which characters from the original series would you like to see appear in the new version? I am rooting hard for Peter Hunt. He and Murphy had such great chemistry together. I would love to see them share a few scenes together. I know Scott Bakula has his own show and is very busy so he could not be a regular, but it would be great if he could appear in at least an episode or two. 

• Love 4

Seeing Peter Hunt again could be interesting, but I'd like to know if Avery's father Jake Lowenstein (Robin Thomas) will appear.  Obviously he bailed on Murphy when she was pregnant and it's unlikely he spent much time with his son.  I'd love to see an episode in which we also see why Avery is so close to "Uncle Frank".  My guess being he was the father figure Avery needed growing up and it was Frank who taught him all those "guy things" like how to shave, etc.  It might be good to see Avery chew out his sperm donor for choosing the life of a political radical over him.

Stuart Best (Wallace Shawn) could waltz by for an episode, as could Miller Redfield (Christopher Rich).  

Andrew J. Lansing, III (Paul Rubens) could also return - maybe as an executive (perhaps at Wolf Network) who probably annoys Avery on the job like he did with Murphy.

Audrey (Jane Leeves) might come back and Miles and she could take up with one another again.

What's sad is how many recurring characters have since passed on!  

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I'd love to see an episode in which we also see why Avery is so close to "Uncle Frank".  My guess being he was the father figure Avery needed growing up and it was Frank who taught him all those "guy things" like how to shave, etc. 

I suspect that was the case as well - and yet, he seems to have turned out well despite that. ;-)  I did like their back and forth in E2, where Frank mentions changing Avery's diapers when he was a baby, and Avery saying he would be able to return the favor soon.

• Love 8

It might be good to see Avery chew out his sperm donor for choosing the life of a political radical over him.

I was wondering about Jake myself and would love to see this. I remember the scene where Murphy told him she was pregnant, and him coldly replying that she could handle it however she wanted, it didn't matter to him because he wasn't going to be around. Not exactly father, or boyfriend, of the year. Both Murphy and Avery were well rid of that jerk. I'd love to see them both tell him what they think of him.

I think it's mandatory that we see Miller Redfield again! We got to know him pretty well, he was a pretty regular recurring character. I see him as the head anchor and chief idiocy spewer at the Wolf Network! It's a natural fit!

• Love 9
On 10/6/2018 at 6:27 PM, chitowngirl said:

I’d love to see him too, but his show films in New Orleans, so it’s not like he can walk over from his soundstage. But, here’s hoping!

It's in the US, we're not talking about a crazy long international transatlantic flight. All you would need is one week when Murphy Brown is filming and his version of NCIS is on hiatus. Also, maybe they could write his NCIS character out of an episode for a week (he's sick, he's on vacation, he's at a law enforcement seminar, or any number of other reasons). 

12 hours ago, magicdog said:

I'd like to know if Avery's father Jake Lowenstein (Robin Thomas) will appear.  Obviously he bailed on Murphy when she was pregnant and it's unlikely he spent much time with his son.  I'd love to see an episode in which we also see why Avery is so close to "Uncle Frank".  My guess being he was the father figure Avery needed growing up and it was Frank who taught him all those "guy things" like how to shave, etc.  It might be good to see Avery chew out his sperm donor for choosing the life of a political radical over him.

I would love to see Jake Lowenstein again and it would be great to see the big dramatic argument you described. 

12 hours ago, magicdog said:

Stuart Best (Wallace Shawn) could waltz by for an episode, as could Miller Redfield (Christopher Rich).  

Andrew J. Lansing, III (Paul Rubens) could also return - maybe as an executive (perhaps at Wolf Network) who probably annoys Avery on the job like he did with Murphy.

Audrey (Jane Leeves) might come back and Miles and she could take up with one another again.

What's sad is how many recurring characters have since passed on!  

It would be fun to see all of these characters again. I like the idea off seeing Audrey again, but not Miles and Audrey getting back together. On your last point, I keep waiting for Eldin to walk around the corner or downstairs. I know the actor is dead, but for some reason I have an eaiser time accepting Phil's death than Eldin's. 

6 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I think it's mandatory that we see Miller Redfield again! We got to know him pretty well, he was a pretty regular recurring character. I see him as the head anchor and chief idiocy spewer at the Wolf Network! It's a natural fit!

I'm all for seeing Miller Redfield again. I mentioned this on another thread, but I see Miller Redfield  as part of the panel of a Fox and Friends type morning show. To be a head anchor or pundit, someone needs a certain level of intelligence and strong opinions. That's not Miller. I could see him on the Wolf Network's morning show. Miller would be perfect as the person who asks questions to get the discussion started or to ask a question as a way to change topics. 

• Love 1

Has he been shown in the promos for tonight's episode?  I know it was said he'd appear in episode three, but that was pretty early on, so that may have been before they moved episode four up a week, flipping three and four.  So, if at the time they said he'd appear in the third episode they were talking about what was originally slated to be episode three, that would mean we wouldn't see him until next week.  But if they'd already made the switch at the time of the statement, that means we'll see him tonight.  So, since I don't know the timing, I'm curious if he's been shown in promos.

Whenever we get him, I'm glad!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Has he been shown in the promos for tonight's episode?  I know it was said he'd appear in episode three, but that was pretty early on, so that may have been before they moved episode four up a week, flipping three and four.  So, if at the time they said he'd appear in the third episode they were talking about what was originally slated to be episode three, that would mean we wouldn't see him until next week.  But if they'd already made the switch at the time of the statement, that means we'll see him tonight.  So, since I don't know the timing, I'm curious if he's been shown in promos.

Whenever we get him, I'm glad!

I haven't seen any promos out for it yet. 

Only came across this:

Spoiler

"Three Shirts to the Wind" - Murphy and the team weigh the pros and cons of accepting the offer to have the first interview with a headline-grabbing former White House senior advisor (David Costabile) who wants to promote his divisive book and agenda on "Murphy in the Morning." Also, Avery moderates a lively political discussion on his show with locals in Buffalo, N.Y., on MURPHY BROWN, Thursday, Oct. 11 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Original series cast member Charles Kimbrough returns as Jim Dial in his first of three episodes, and Merle Dandridge guest stars as the team's arrogant network boss, Diana Macomber.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-Coming-Up-on-a-New-Episode-of-MURPHY-BROWN-on-CBS-Today-October-11-2018-20181010

So it sounds as if this is the episode airing tonight.

But yet I found this...

Spoiler

This week’s episode looks like it will at least try to be a bit more serious. Called “#murphytoo” it’s a response to the current #metoo movement. In the episode’s PROMO it’s clear that the tone is a little different, but they tried to keep some of the comedic moments. It could go very well or very poorly.

Murphy Brown airs Thursdays at 9:30 p.m.

https://fansided.com/2018/10/11/murphy-brown-season-11-episode-3-live-stream-online-murphytoo/

So maybe either they flipped episodes, moving Jim's to this week... or they did the opposite. But if I remember correctly... wasn't the #me too ep supposed to be this week originally?

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

This may not be a popular choice but, I'd love to see Paul Reubens play the creepy Andrew J. Lansing character again.  I loved how he had a shrine to both Murphy and Katie Couric. 

I just noticed someone else mentioned him too so I'm glad I'm not alone in this one.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

But if I remember correctly... wasn't the #me too ep supposed to be this week originally?

No, the #metoo episode was originally slated to be number four, next week.  So in moving it up a slot, to this week (number three), it delayed Jim's first appearance, because now the original number three will instead be number four.  That's what I wasn't clear on and thus asked about - whether the "he'll be in episode three" was stated based on the original line-up (meaning, based on subsequent reordering, he'd actually appear in episode four) or was revealed after the switch had been made (meaning he was in the fourth episode, now set to air third and we'd see him tonight). 

I figured it was the former, and, indeed, we have to wait another week, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

• Love 2

Near the beginning of the original series, Murphy’s father showed up with a young wife and a baby. This half brother of Murphy would be maybe three years older than Avery now. There’s a character I’d like to see. 

Edited by HyeChaps
I’d, not I’s
  • Love 6