Type keyword(s) to search

Someone In HR Must Hate Her: Murphy's Revolving Door of Secretaries

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Even though he wasn’t shown screwing up, for me it’s John F. Kennedy, Jr.

I still miss him.??

I loved him, Elvis and when Murphy finally got the best secretary Marcia Wallace aka Bob's secretary from the Bob Newhart Show. Who quit to go back working for Bob. Murphy begs her to stay.

• Love 11

I was watching Murphy Brown a couple years ago when one secretary's voice caught my attention. When I looked it up on IMDB.COM, turns out it was Carol Ann Susi, aka Debbie Wolowitz from "The Big Bang Theory".

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

If you start here, and keep going through the various parts, you can see all (or at least most; I haven't watched all the way through to confirm) of Murphy's secretaries:

Oh these were hilarious! I’d forgotten that John  F. Kennedy, Jr. wasn’t in fact, one of Murphy’s secretaries. But he was funny! There are seven parts to this compilation. After which, there was a retrospective that aired during the seventh season and there were three other secretaries that weren’t in the compilation-Pee Wee Herman who played Gary Marshall’s nephew, some stereotypical Italian named Rocky Road, and another who was crying on the phone while being told his dog and grandma were killed by the hale baler?

Here’s the retrospective which includes outtakes and bloopers. Now I’m even more pissed that only the first season is available on dvd. And can you believe Candice had to fight for this role? They wanted Heather can’t actvto save her life Lockkear. The tone and look on Candice’s face is priceless.

I loved the secretary thing too!  Like others I think my favourite was Marcia Wallace portraying Carol from the Bob Newhart Show but there were so many good ones!   I think especially Robert the secretary from Hell!

• Love 3

Future secretaries:

Someone who plans to use their proximity to Murphy to become a YouTube star

An aspiring rap star who raps all of their lines 

This was from an episode post but I thought it worked well here.

On 10/5/2018 at 4:44 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

with twenty years of pop culture and societal advancement, there's so much more they can do! Cosplayers! Otherkin! Someone who completely ignores Murphy because they've got their eyes glued to their phone! Someone recording a podcast from their desk on the side! So many possibilities....

• Love 2

Someone who completely ignores Murphy because they've got their eyes glued to their phone! Someone recording a podcast from their desk on the side!

We pretty much have to get something like this, or the wannabe YouTube star mentioned above.  Assuming we see people actually being Murphy's secretary; so far, we've just seen the interview/introduction.

• Love 2

I loved the lady who tried out different accents in the episode where Murphy is trying to go to Bush Sr.'s inaugural ball (in an exaggerated Southern accent: "Your dress for the inaugural ball is REA-DY!"). 

30 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

An aspiring rap star who raps all of their lines 

I think there WAS a secretary like that in the original series, and then Murphy fired them by rapping herself. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh these were hilarious! I’d forgotten that John  F. Kennedy, Jr. wasn’t in fact, one of Murphy’s secretaries. But he was funny! There are seven parts to this compilation. After which, there was a retrospective that aired during the seventh season and there were three other secretaries that weren’t in the compilation-Pee Wee Herman who played Gary Marshall’s nephew, some stereotypical Italian named Rocky Road, and another who was crying on the phone while being told his dog and grandma were killed by the hale baler?

Here’s the retrospective which includes outtakes and bloopers. Now I’m even more pissed that only the first season is available on dvd. And can you believe Candice had to fight for this role? They wanted Heather can’t actvto save her life Lockkear. The tone and look on Candice’s face is priceless.

He did, actually. Or at least he made her think he was, at first. He appeared on the show to promote George magazine, which he had just started at the time (the retrospective episode aired the year before).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

He did, actually. Or at least he made her think he was, at first. He appeared on the show to promote George magazine, which he had just started at the time (the retrospective episode aired the year before).

That’s why I posted I was mistaken when I thought that he was one of her secretaries-that he actually came in to leave her a note and the mock up issue of George with her on the cover. I assume his appearance wasn’t included in the compilation of the revolving door of secretaries because in fact, he wasn’t.

And since it wasn’t clear, I meant that must be why he wasn’t shown in the seven part YouTube  video compilation of all who played her secretaries. The retrospective only showed three.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Yeah, he wasn't trying to make her think he was her new secretary, he'd sat down to write her a note because she wasn't there to receive his gift (the mock-up cover and a year's free subscription, much to her dismay).  When she came in and saw him sitting there at the secretary desk, she made the joke about the lawyer thing not working out (for anyone who doesn't remember, JFK Jr took a lot of guff for his failed attempts to pass the bar exam; the third time was the charm for him, and he became an ADA for several years before turning to journalism with George) and then asked him to file something.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4