Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek Discovery: Short Treks

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 10/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wouldn't they reproduce inside your digestive tract and explode out your of body like in Alien?

We generally kill animals before we eat them. I assume they'd do the same with the Tribbles. So that should not be a problem unless they can still reproduce when they're dead.

Was not amused by 'The Trouble with Edward'.  The fact that he introduced his own DNA into the tribble, and was still open to eating them was a little creepy.

Can tribbles survive in the vacuum of space ?  How else would they spread to another planet let alone the Klingon empire.  They should have triggered the self-destruct on that vessel.

Was glad to see Pike again.

• Love 2

We generally kill animals before we eat them. I assume they'd do the same with the Tribbles. So that should not be a problem unless they can still reproduce when they're dead.

X3VznqK.jpg

A. their ability to self-replicate is a marketed feature of the cereal which means they'd still be alive in the box

P8fCBRx.jpg

B. the disclaimer in the fine print denies manufacturer responsibility, "if tribbles survive and replicate in digestive tract." I think my original mostly tongue-in-cheek question stands, and has been answered by the show itself.

Also, I don't know about the "we." Not only do I not kill animals, I don't live in the 23rd century. 😉

I liked seeing Pike again, but thought the premise was a bit much.  Do they do this with every cadet ?

Was that room a mini-holodeck ?  Otherwise how did they simulate the force of the "torpedo" impacts ?

Also thought it was odd that the name of the actress playing Cadet Sidhu wasn't listed until a full 50 seconds after Anson Mount's name (and well after Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romjin) even though she was onscreen for nearly the entire Short Trek.

12 hours ago, Starchild said:

Anyone else think it would have been easy for that "test" to kill somebody? She took a pretty rough blast in the beginning there.

I mean, we've seen that with the Kobayashi Maru.  Clearly, they were acting, but they also blew stuff up.

Except in the KM they all knew they were in a simulation. She didn't. I don't know, just seems unnecessarily risky. "Let's see if this one is worthy of being on the flagsh...oops never mind."

Edited by Starchild

ST: TNG - Season 1, Episode 19 -- the episode where Wesley is taking his Starfleet Academy tests on Relva 7.

At the end of his testing, there was an "explosion" in an environmental lab with 2 people trapped, Wesley rushes to the lab, saves the person trapped by debris and encourages the 2nd person (who was only trapped because of fear) to flee, but the 2nd person remains inside the lab as the doors lock shut.

Short Treks 'Ephraim and Dot' and 'The Girl Who Made the Stars' were released on Dec. 12.

Ephraim and Dot -- what the hell was that ?  Animation retconning a security droid into TOS, and a tardigrade laying eggs on the Kirk-in-command Enterprise that apparently take about 20 years to hatch (covering the time from 'Space Seed' TOS episode to the 'Search for Spock' movie). Why exactly was this necessary ?

The Girl Who Made the Stars -- as a child, Michael Burnham is scared and her father tells her a bed-time story about an Earth child from long, long ago (but probably not in a galaxy far, far away) encountering an alien.

Couldn't they come up with something/anything a little more relevant to the show about the time jump 900 years forward.  Something involving Craft from Short Trek 'Calypso' would have been nice.

Only link I noticed between the 2 shorts was that Micheal Burnham was sleeping with a stuffed tardigrade toy. 

At least I wasn't creeped out like I was with 'The Trouble with Edward'.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm just trying to figure out how it relates to ST: Discovery, if at all.

It seems like not at all, that the producers were trying to get the Discovery viewers interested in watching Picard. I feel used.

I really liked Q & A, the first one of the season with Spock and Number One. That was fun all the way and the fact that Rebecca Romjin is a Gilbert & Sullivan enthusiast makes it so much better.  I also liked The Girl Who Made The Stars, it's the sort of thing I liked reading to my child. Ask Not was okay although I'm not a fan of the idea that what makes a good officer is to follow orders unquestioningly.

I lasted for about 3 minutes into Ephraim and Dot. I appreciate the attempt to stretch out of the usual mould but I'm not a looney tunes fan. I didn't even turn on The Trouble with Edward because I was grossed out by the premise.  Found Children of Mars problematic too.

So a 3/6 for the season for me.

• Love 2

I've watched all of them and didn't care much for the last three.  The animated ones did absolutely nothing for me and after experiencing bullying in school didn't care much for Children of Mars.  It was very well done, just didn't care much for it.  For advanced civilization, you'd think that a school would realize these 2 girls were having issues.  I know we're supposed to be touched but that final hand holding but my cold, hard heart was unmoved.

• Love 3

Is the school principal supposed to be Vulcan? Dude failed his emotion suppressing class.

A school bus knows how many passengers there should be on a route...Federation shuttles obviously work on a Tholian punctuality....If there is no poverty, why are transporters not available? Then no shuttles are needed and nobody is late for school...