Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Intervention

• Start Topic

The Good; Pretty good, nice to have some levity after the intensity of the past few eps. I love the Buffybot, she's so sweet and innocent and happy all the time. Spike's idea of Angel which the Buffybot voices makes me laugh out loud every time. Buffy and Giles in the desert is also good.

The Bad; Rather than chase after Spike, Glory just stands there and lets the Scoobies get away?

Best line; Glory (of Spike); "What the hell is that and why is it's hair that colour?"

Jeez!; Torturing Spike isn't nice

Kinky dinky; Spike and the Buffybot 'lots of different ways'. Love her standing up when Xander knocks on the crypt door gag, you wonder was that SMG or her stand in? Note that even when the Buffybot is Spike's ideal woman he still wants her to beat him up before they have sex? The Key has to be pure? Does that mean if Dawn has sex with Kevin or

Spoiler

RJ

or whoever that means she'd be safe? Glory's negligee is also quite something. The Slayer forges 'strength (and pleasure?) from pain' according to the primitive which might explain Faith and Buffy's hints at S&M.

Captain Subtext; Note when Spike has sex with the Buffybot he has her wear Buffy's black leather jacket, just like Angel's. The whole of the Buffybot's dialogue seems to be a satire on the Spikette's fawning over the peroxide one. Xanders description of Spike is rather vivid as Buffy observes and he also feels sorry for Spike having lost his sex toy. Buffy refers to her robot double as 'skirt girl'. Spike refers to Glory as whorish. Spike gets his first real kiss from Buffy.

Scoobies to the ER; Spike gets the bejesus beaten out of him but I doubt the ER would do him any good.

Apocalypses; 5,

Scoobies in bondage: Buffy: 8 Giles: 4 Cordy: 5 Will: 3 Jenny: 1 Angel: 4 Oz: 1 Faith: 3 Joyce: 1 Wes: 1 Xander; 1 Dawn; 1

Scoobies knocked out: Xander Buffy: 16 Giles: 10 Cordy: 6 Xander: 9 Will: 5 Jenny: 2 Angel: 6 Oz: 3 Faith: 1 Joyce: 3 Wes: 1 Anya;1

Kills: Xander and Anya are considered competent enough to patrol alone, Anya nails her first vamp Buffy: 95 vamps, 32 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot Giles: 5 vamps, 1 demon Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon Will: 6 vamps Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie Faith: 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans Xander: 5 vamps, 2 zombies, a demon, a demon Anya: 1 vamp and a demon Riley; 18 vamps + 7 demons Buffybot; 1 vamp Spike; 1 demon and 2 vamps in Buffy service.

Scoobies go evil: Giles: 1 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 1 Angel: 1 Oz: 1 Joyce: 1 Xander: 3

Alternate scoobies: Buffy: 6 Giles: 3 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 2 Joyce: 2 Xander: 3

Recurring characters killed: 10 Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce

Sunnydale deaths; 89;

Total number of scoobies: 6 Giles, Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Tara,

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?) Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot: Anya wonders if they should have guns? Giles: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 4 Riley; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes? Cordy: 1? Buffy: 3 confirmed; Angel, Parker,Riley, 1 possible, Dracula(?) Angel: 1;Buffy Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?) Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley Xander: 2; Faith, Anya Willow: 2;Oz and Tara Riley; 3; Buffy, Sandy and unnamed vampwhore

Questions and observations; Very long teaser, important to recap what's gone before. Buffy feels guilty about how she's treated Dawn. Ben and Glory seem to be merging more and more. Boy is that the FATTEST puma you've ever seen? Tara comments that Will has surpassed her in magical terms. The beginning of Dawn's kleptomania. Note that just like April the Buffybot begins to break her programme, not staying in the crypt like she was supposed to. Hellmouth energy or is Warren not as clever/cleverer than he thinks? Or subconsciously WANTS his girl to be independent as Katrina was? Love the way Glory says 'Precious?', very LOTR, Xander also refers to hobbits. It seems Glory and her minions like TV, demons once again overcome by humanity. I read once that Bob Barker was a karate expert (he beats up Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore "The price is wrong, bitch!", Bob Barker is in HIMYM with AH so that to Buffy in 3)

Marks out of 10; 8/10

1 hour ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Jeez!; Torturing Spike isn't nice

But for me, it is. The guy brouhgt it on himself, because, you know, Buffybot's constant adoration and eagerness to please her "master" had a dark side. Spike had to learn the hard way after all.

Then again, if Glory was less stupid, she could persuade Spikey to work with her, to change sides, promising him lots of goodies in return. True, Glory had Jinx and Murk, but Spike was a better-looking and thus coulb be a more suitable lover. Glory and Spike, they could be so good together, they had so much in common (keep in mind, that Glory took every word coming from Spikey's mouth very seriously: she even checked out her behind in dismay hearing the vamp's comment about the "skanky, lopsided ass")...
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-1w1A5fsTWK9F.thumb.jpg.9fa836d9ccb930f0a0d05f23a0f88212.jpg 

Overall I like the ep. Those scenes in the desert, they were quite fascinating back when I saw Intervention for the first time.
index.thumb.jpg.0e23178da18d86734f0bbcf48be035b1.jpg

Buffybot was funny and kinda cute

Spoiler

little did we know that the "real" Buffy would act almost the same way when it came to precious Spike in the series' finale season. Due to Buffy's bitchiness exposed in the seasons 6 and 7, sometimes I prefer having Buffybot as a part of the gang instead of the real Slayer.

And I loved the determination in real Buffy's voice when she claimed that even slightest possibility of her having sex with bleached vamp was a big no-no

Spoiler

(after everything that happened between the two in the following season, I crack a smile everytime I recall that particular moment of the ep).

I was very surprised to learn Willow wasn't that enthusiastic about Buffy boinking Spike. Come on, Willow, how is that possible? You don't think Buffy's new choice of boyfriend isn't that good? You need to be more tolerant and open-minded, witch!  How can you show such a Xander-ish bigotry??

But I have two questions regarding the ep.
1) How did Buffybot know where to find Willow and the others (who spent the night at Xander's apartment, not at Revello Drive, mind you) after Glory's minions captured Spike? I mean, did Xander and Spike were that close, therefore Xander had absolutely nothing against Captain Peroxide knowing his whereabouts (and thus making Warren to program that kind of information into his robotic toy)?
2) Were Harris' apartment and Casa Summers that far from one another, it took the Scoobs + Buffybot several hours to reach point B from point A (Xander came back and told Willow and the rest about Spike's abduction late at night, but when the gang entered Buffy's house there was clearly a daytime)? 'Cause, you know, Buffybot was resolved to save her precious lover as quickly as possible, no matter what, and she wouldn't wait until the morning... 

Edited by lembergwatcher
7 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Best line; Glory (of Spike); "What the hell is that and why is it's hair that colour?"

I prefer when Spike is terrified of Glory and seizes on her noting that the Key has to be "pure" and he's "an impure, follicly-fried vampire" and he goes "that's right! I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow!".  (Frank Zappa shout-out?  Possibly.)

7 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

The Key has to be pure? Does that mean if Dawn has sex with Kevin or whoever that means she'd be safe?

What about Lisa or Kirsty?  Does Dawn lose her "key-purity" if she's walking on that side of the street, or is the Key homophobic?

As for lemberg's questions:

1) I'd guess that Botty went searching for Xander in an ever-widening grid, just as April did for Warren three episodes back. Design feature, perhaps.  Remember, they don't have a whole lot of town there.

2) We don't know how long Xander was unconscious, or how long it took him to get home after waking up.  Could have been well on near-dawn when the gang was readying to go to Buffy's.

Overall, lots of fun ("I am NOT having sex with Spike!  But I'm starting to think maybe you are.") but undercut by the need to progress the "romantic" Spuffy story.  Oh, Giles, you silly boy, with your "there is no way to Buffy" nonsense three episodes back!  Of course there is!  Just build a robo-Buffy and rape her by proxy!  Apparently Buffy's perfectly cool about that. Oy…

Moral of the story: if you have a stalker, it's totally cool to encourage him with a kiss, even if he is a serial killer. No unfortunate implications here, no sir.

If I had a dollar every time I have seen mentioned that Spike resisting torture was totally altruistic... I would have lots and lots of dollars. It's not like it was in his own interest to stall as much as possible, knowing Glory would have no use of him if he spilled the beans. Oh, wait.

So yes, as mentioned above, lots of fun, but the elephants in the room are still there - Glory being dumb as a box of rocks because otherwise the plot won't work and propping up Spuffy in the most contrived of fashions.

1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

Remember, they don't have a whole lot of town there.

I always wondered how big or small ol' SunnyD really was. By no means a megacity and yet Buffy decided to live in the dorm before enroling to college, because her home was too far from UC Sunnydale...

Oh, Giles, you silly boy, with your "there is no way to Buffy" nonsense three episodes back!  Of course there is!  Just build a robo-Buffy and rape her by proxy!

I guess Giles was a drunk probably since the second half of the third season, just a shadow of his former self. He should have known there's nothing more pathetic than empty threats. He could have finished Spike off in that ep, but backed away for some unknown reason...

1 hour ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

Moral of the story: if you have a stalker, it's totally cool to encourage him with a kiss, even if he is a serial killer. No unfortunate implications here, no sir.

Stalking is bad, except for when the stalker's name starts with "s" and ends with "e". Then everything's totally ok and not even remotely "toxic". And there are people out there, who say Xander is the epitome of misogyny, lol... Trying to peep at Buffy gettin' dressed in Never Kill a Boy on the First Date was enough for someone to label Xander as douchebag, while makin' a Buffy-impresonating sexbot appeared somehow to be totally ok.

Hmm.

Edited by lembergwatcher
2 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

I always wondered how big or small ol' SunnyD really was. By no means a megacity and yet Buffy decided to live in the dorm before enroling to college, because her home was too far from UC Sunnydale...

In The Freshman, Willow says that UCSunnyhell is "like five miles away", so I guess the girls' decision to live in the dorms is mostly symbolic, rather than practical.  Joyce's gallery must be raking it in.  (Willow presumably got room & board with her scholarship offer.)

3 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

I always wondered how big or small ol' SunnyD really was.

In BB&B, Xander rescues Cordelia at SHS while school is in session. They go to Buffy's house and arrive well after darkness has fallen. Needed in order for Angelus and Dru to make their appearances, but I always wondered why those two crazy kids took the long way around before hitting Revello Drive. 

S1 establishes that Willow and Xander live near each other (Willow walks to Xander's when he isn't answering his phone in Prophecy Girl) and the school (Xander "commutes" via skateboard in Welcome to the Hellmouth, whereas Buffy needs a ride from Joyce), whereas Buffy lives near the Bronze (she and Angel run to Revello Drive from there in Angel) and thus Angel's place (Buffy says "he lives near the Bronze" in that same episode, although it's not established how she knows this).

Walking over to Buffy's place appears to be a longer jaunt, although the Scoobs sometimes do it, as in Ted.  But Xander needs to get his mom's car to go to the dance at the Bronze in Inca Mummy Girl, and needs a lift from Cordelia to get to Buffy's place in What's My Line.  So it's no surprise X/C took a bit of time to get there, on foot.  JMO.

20 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

But for me, it is. The guy brouhgt it on himself, because, you know, Buffybot's constant adoration and eagerness to please her "master" had a dark side. Spike had to learn the hard way after all.

Then again, if Glory was less stupid, she could persuade Spikey to work with her, to change sides, promising him lots of goodies in return. True, Glory had Jinx and Murk, but Spike was a better-looking and thus coulb be a more suitable lover. Glory and Spike, they could be so good together, they had so much in common (keep in mind, that Glory took every word coming from Spikey's mouth very seriously: she even checked out her behind in dismay hearing the vamp's comment about the "skanky, lopsided ass")...
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-1w1A5fsTWK9F.thumb.jpg.9fa836d9ccb930f0a0d05f23a0f88212.jpg 

Overall I like the ep. Those scenes in the desert, they were quite fascinating back when I saw Intervention for the first time.
index.thumb.jpg.0e23178da18d86734f0bbcf48be035b1.jpg

Buffybot was funny and kinda cute

Hide contents

little did we know that the "real" Buffy would act almost the same way when it came to precious Spike in the series' finale season. Due to Buffy's bitchiness exposed in the seasons 6 and 7, sometimes I prefer having Buffybot as a part of the gang instead of the real Slayer.

And I loved the determination in real Buffy's voice when she claimed that even slightest possibility of her having sex with bleached vamp was a big no-no

Hide contents

(after everything that happened between the two in the following season, I crack a smile everytime I recall that particular moment of the ep).

I was very surprised to learn Willow wasn't that enthusiastic about Buffy boinking Spike. Come on, Willow, how is that possible? You don't think Buffy's new choice of boyfriend isn't that good? You need to be more tolerant and open-minded, witch!  How can you show such a Xander-ish bigotry??

But I have two questions regarding the ep.
1) How did Buffybot know where to find Willow and the others (who spent the night at Xander's apartment, not at Revello Drive, mind you) after Glory's minions captured Spike? I mean, did Xander and Spike were that close, therefore Xander had absolutely nothing against Captain Peroxide knowing his whereabouts (and thus making Warren to program that kind of information into his robotic toy)?
2) Were Harris' apartment and Casa Summers that far from one another, it took the Scoobs + Buffybot several hours to reach point B from point A (Xander came back and told Willow and the rest about Spike's abduction late at night, but when the gang entered Buffy's house there was clearly a daytime)? 'Cause, you know, Buffybot was resolved to save her precious lover as quickly as possible, no matter what, and she wouldn't wait until the morning... 

Spike and Glory? Interesting idea although the last time he teamed up with the Big Bad it didn't go well for him. Buffy NEVER acted like the Buffybot

Spoiler

when she was having her affair with Spike, she always knew it was wrong and quite joyless for her, a need rather than a desire. 

But you're right, methinks the Lady protests too much. Willow has no illusions about Spike, she just can't make herself kill him. 

14 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I prefer when Spike is terrified of Glory and seizes on her noting that the Key has to be "pure" and he's "an impure, follicly-fried vampire" and he goes "that's right! I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow!".  (Frank Zappa shout-out?  Possibly.)

What about Lisa or Kirsty?  Does Dawn lose her "key-purity" if she's walking on that side of the street, or is the Key homophobic?

As for lemberg's questions:

1) I'd guess that Botty went searching for Xander in an ever-widening grid, just as April did for Warren three episodes back. Design feature, perhaps.  Remember, they don't have a whole lot of town there.

2) We don't know how long Xander was unconscious, or how long it took him to get home after waking up.  Could have been well on near-dawn when the gang was readying to go to Buffy's.

Overall, lots of fun ("I am NOT having sex with Spike!  But I'm starting to think maybe you are.") but undercut by the need to progress the "romantic" Spuffy story.  Oh, Giles, you silly boy, with your "there is no way to Buffy" nonsense three episodes back!  Of course there is!  Just build a robo-Buffy and rape her by proxy!  Apparently Buffy's perfectly cool about that. Oy…

No problem with some Dawn slash, plenty out there especially with Tara/Willow naughty babysitting shenanigans,  

Spoiler

Amanda from s7

Buffy/Joyce for the fetishists and occasionally Glory. I agree with your Xander point, the Buffybot would have been programmed to look in the various places the real Buffy frequented and probably worked her way down the list. 

Spike doesn't rape the Buffybot, she consents because she was made to love him. Buffy's not cool with it she describes the bot as icky and gross. 

14 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

If I had a dollar every time I have seen mentioned that Spike resisting torture was totally altruistic... I would have lots and lots of dollars. It's not like it was in his own interest to stall as much as possible, knowing Glory would have no use of him if he spilled the beans. Oh, wait.

So yes, as mentioned above, lots of fun, but the elephants in the room are still there - Glory being dumb as a box of rocks because otherwise the plot won't work and propping up Spuffy in the most contrived of fashions.

Buffy is the Slayer, she's attracted to darkness. But yes of all the dodgy messages from Buffy this is the dodgiest. But I think that's part of the appeal of the show. I doubt Glory would have even bothered killing Spike but it isn't an altruistic act on his part. He loves Buffy and knows this would hurt her, it's a selfish love. If this was anyone else he wouldn't have hesitated for a moment.  

11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

In The Freshman, Willow says that UCSunnyhell is "like five miles away", so I guess the girls' decision to live in the dorms is mostly symbolic, rather than practical.  Joyce's gallery must be raking it in.  (Willow presumably got room & board with her scholarship offer.)

I think Sunnydale is as big as it needs to be frankly and can contain whatever the plot needs, it's California's Gotham city. 

11 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

I think Sunnydale is as big as it needs to be frankly and can contain whatever the plot needs, it's California's Gotham city

After all,

Spoiler

it's near the ocean in Go Fish & in Buffy v Dracula (whatever that episode's called),

and yet

Spoiler

when it collapses upon itself in Chosen, there's no ocean to be seen.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Buffy v Dracula (whatever that episode's called),

It is indeed called Buffy vs. Dracula.

MURK: We will get Bob Barker! We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker!

Glory spins and looks at her minions with narrowed eyes. They cringe.

GLORY: It's not Bob Barker, you scabby morons! The Key is new to this world and Bob Barker is as old as grit.

Hilarious…but didn't Brother Idiot Jeb tell Buffy that "for centuries [the Key] had no form at all", back when?  There's really no reason the Monks of Mindfuck couldn't have done the Key-making a few years back.  Or they could have made the (brand-new) Key look like a 70-year-old dude instead of a 14-year-old girl.  And that whole Mindfucking element makes it all moot, anyway.

Still love the lines, though.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, lembergwatcher said:

Btw, didn't Willow and Tara start dating in 2000?

Depends on when they officially began "dating." Hush was shown in 12/99. Doomed in 1/00. Of course they were filmed in 1999. And, it's possible the Buffybot realized that Willow had feelings immediately for Tara even if Will didn't know it at the time. 

Plus Botty's data comes from Spike.  If Willow said "I met Tara when the Gentlemen took our voices", Spike would remember that was in '99, and not be aware of the pace of the progress of the relationship.  For all we know, he thinks W/T got sexual that first night.

I mean, he saw Anya get excited by the events of that evening.  Of course, that's Anya (not to mention the "looking at lineoleum makes Xander think about sex" aspect), but Spike may not be all that discerning, after all.

So Shan liked this one a lot (she was not a fan of the gloomy trend this season was taking; her "compliment" for The Body was that it was a "well-made" episode, but you could tell that it was an unpleasant experience for her), even though she was pretty much cringing-while-laughing at the Spike/Buffybot sex scenes.  "Oh, Spike…you're such a freak…but I love you" is pretty much her position.  I continue to be surprised she hasn't been converted to full-on Spuffy-'shipping, but then she did get a dose of Buffy/Angel just last episode, so I suppose she's inoculated, still.

(Plus, she's watching Angel regularly, where I dropped her reviews of that series after Sanctuary, being "paralyzed by not caring very much", as Spike would have it. So that makes a difference, I suppose.)

What I noticed this time around is just how sunny it is out by Glory's apartment block.  We had the discussion upthread ^ about the Scoobs only getting over to Revello Drive in the daylight (because Buffy can't get back from the Slayer!Quest during the night? Not really sure about this), but it's also all bright and lovely when the Scoobs (including Botty) prepare to "rescue"/kill Spike later that morning.  And later still, when Willow is working on the Bot at the Magic Box, we see that it's still nicely sunny outside.

Which begs the question, when Giles and Xander come in to report that they "dumped" Spike back in his tomb, how exactly did they manage that, without Spike flash-frying?  Do the Scoobs carry around a Spike-sized duffelbag, suitable for toting vamps during daytime?  Did G/X march the barely-conscious Spike through those handy electrical tunnels, which presumably don't reach Spike's crypt, and which they wouldn't know the route from Glory's to Spike's should such a connection even exist?  Strange and annoying, as I usually find these sort of issues.  But JMO.

14 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

So Shan liked this one a lot (she was not a fan of the gloomy trend this season was taking; her "compliment" for The Body was that it was a "well-made" episode, but you could tell that it was an unpleasant experience for her), even though she was pretty much cringing-while-laughing at the Spike/Buffybot sex scenes.  "Oh, Spike…you're such a freak…but I love you" is pretty much her position.  I continue to be surprised she hasn't been converted to full-on Spuffy-'shipping, but then she did get a dose of Buffy/Angel just last episode, so I suppose she's inoculated, still.

(Plus, she's watching Angel regularly, where I dropped her reviews of that series after Sanctuary, being "paralyzed by not caring very much", as Spike would have it. So that makes a difference, I suppose.)

What I noticed this time around is just how sunny it is out by Glory's apartment block.  We had the discussion upthread ^ about the Scoobs only getting over to Revello Drive in the daylight (because Buffy can't get back from the Slayer!Quest during the night? Not really sure about this), but it's also all bright and lovely when the Scoobs (including Botty) prepare to "rescue"/kill Spike later that morning.  And later still, when Willow is working on the Bot at the Magic Box, we see that it's still nicely sunny outside.

Which begs the question, when Giles and Xander come in to report that they "dumped" Spike back in his tomb, how exactly did they manage that, without Spike flash-frying?  Do the Scoobs carry around a Spike-sized duffelbag, suitable for toting vamps during daytime?  Did G/X march the barely-conscious Spike through those handy electrical tunnels, which presumably don't reach Spike's crypt, and which they wouldn't know the route from Glory's to Spike's should such a connection even exist?  Strange and annoying, as I usually find these sort of issues.  But JMO.

Spuffy, it will get you in the end. 

18 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Which begs the question, when Giles and Xander come in to report that they "dumped" Spike back in his tomb, how exactly did they manage that, without Spike flash-frying?  Do the Scoobs carry around a Spike-sized duffelbag, suitable for toting vamps during daytime?  Did G/X march the barely-conscious Spike through those handy electrical tunnels, which presumably don't reach Spike's crypt, and which they wouldn't know the route from Glory's to Spike's should such a connection even exist?  Strange and annoying, as I usually find these sort of issues.

What if they gave Spikey a ride in Giles new BMW convertible?

On 12/10/2018 at 3:59 AM, Joe Hellandback said:
Spoiler

Spuffy, it will get you in the end. 

Spoiler

Why should it?  As far as the unspoiled reader of this page (should one ever wander by) would know, Spuffy never happens.  Which is why I only made reference to Shan possibly 'shipping it, not as an actual 'ship that she might or might not support.

I grant you that's a fine distinction, and we don't know if there are any unspoiled wandering through here, indeed.  But I always do try to be as protective as possible, just in case. :)

Oh, and by "get you in the end", you meant "bite you in the arse", right?  Just checking. ;)

Edited by Halting Hex
On 12/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, lembergwatcher said:

What if they gave Spikey a ride in Giles new BMW convertible?

Even getting Spike into the trunk would seem to be an issue…unless Glory's apartment block has an underground car park, I suppose.  But that still leaves the issue of the drop-off…and while the idea of Giles executing a hard U-turn amongst the tombstones while popping the trunk latch and thus flinging Spike through the sunlight and into the safety of his crypt has its charms, I think that might be more suited to the BMW ads rather than the "real world" of Sunnydale.

Edited by Halting Hex
19 hours ago, Halting Hex said:
  Hide contents

Why should it?  As far as the unspoiled reader of this page (should one ever wander by) would know, Spuffy never happens.  Which is why I only made reference to Shan possibly 'shipping it, not as an actual 'ship that she might or might not support.

I grant you that's a fine distinction, and we don't know if there are any unspoiled wandering through here, indeed.  But I always do try to be as protective as possible, just in case. :)

Oh, and by "get you in the end", you meant "bite you in the arse", right?  Just checking. ;)

I bet it did, just as it did for Anya and Xander. 

Oooh, nice one!  Yes, Ms-Aura-Detector would have been a poor candidate for "You couldn't tell me from a robot?" thickness.

Of course, Tara didn't immediately peg April as a robot in I Was Made To Love You.  But perhaps she's specially attuned to Buffy's aura, having retrieved her Katra and all of that.

But perhaps she's specially attuned to Buffy's aura, having retrieved her Katra and all of that.

But she could sense something was wrong with Buffy (technically, she was Faith) in This Year's Girl/Who Are You? and she hadn't even met Buffy before!

Perhaps it's easier to twig to a displaced/wrong aura than to the mere lack of one?

Or maybe Tara got so tired of Willow always being "Buffy this, Buffy that" and because of that spot of jealousy, she paid more attention to Fuffy than she ordinarily would to any passing robot?  Maybe it takes a certain amount of psychic squinting to activate the old Third Eye?

If I were Buffy, I'd be furious that my friends couldn't tell me apart from a robot that looked and vaguely acted like me. Especially since they had previous experience interacting with Warren's girlbot. The Scoobs can be exceptionally stupid sometimes.

SMG as the Robot Buffy entering Casa Summers and saying "This is my house!" slays me every time.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, mmecorday said:

If I were Buffy, I'd be furious that my friends couldn't tell me apart from a robot that looked and vaguely acted like me.

To be fair, the Scoobs do have plenty of experience of "Buffy acts weird, for some undetermined reason".  Almost half of S4, for example.

So, yes, this is a robot.  But after dealing with Buffy acting strange because she's having her soul stolen…and Buffy acting strange because of cursed beer…and Buffy acting strange because of a spell…and Buffy acting strange because it's actually Faith in Buffy's body…and Buffy acting strange because she and Riley are under some sex hoodoo…I'm not sure I'd be accelerating directly to "robot", either.  (And we're not even counting the Jonathan-verse, because they were all affected, there.)

Yes, Buffy got the answer right away, but Buffy knew that she was herself and therefore it was less likely the "other Buffy" was.  And Buffy has low-grade psychic power and sometimes is just ridiculously good at guessing, from "Whistler is an immortal demon sent down to maintain the balance between good and evil" (seriously…WTF??) to her SAT success with answer bubbles.   I won't judge W/T/X for not being One Girl in All the World, here.

(Dawn never meets the 'Bot, right?  Where did she run off to?  Rummaging through Giles's diary again, knowing he's out of town?)

MURK: We will get Bob Barker! We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker!

Too late, hobbit-breath. Too bloody late.

Can‘t complain about 99, but I was hoping Bob would come back to host on his 100th (12 December) as he had on his 90th.  Now what am I supposed to do that day?  Prepare for Taylor Swift's birthday (the next day)?  

As if I don't spend all year doing that. Sigh.

(December 12 was also the birthday of the late great Frank Sinatra, who [objectively speaking] may have been a more legendary entertainer than Bob…but did Sinatra get a BtVS shout-out?)

b7528c8e-071f-4192-9fc8-35b008a3a963_tex

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Like 1