Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Law & Order: Hate Crimes

Hey all, as we spin up discussion for this show, I want to make sure we handle sensitive topics appropriately, and remember the rules in here. Please remember that even more so than SVU, there are going to be polarizing topics here, and that politics is likely to be a subject of or adjacent to this show.

Remember: Political discussion not related to the direct events of the episode is not allowed.

If there's a politician character on the show, you can discuss what he/she says, but you can't use it as a jumping off point to other discussions.  No "well as we've learned with the current Trump presidency, snarky snark snark" or "well as we saw with Obama and the Clintons, snarkity snark" type posts will be tolerated. 

As always, remember to treat each other with respect, and we'll all be fine. Also, snark about the actors and characters on the show, and their looks, acting abilities, clothing, whatever, is all fair game. 

• Like 4

From Vanity Fair:

. . . Co-creator and Law & Order honcho Dick Wolf seems to believe that his new show has what it takes to make a positive and lasting impact. “As with all of my crime shows, I want to depict what’s really going on in our cities and shine a light on the wide-ranging victims and show that justice can prevail,” Wolf told Variety. “Twenty years ago when S.V.U. began, very few people felt comfortable coming forward and reporting these crimes, but when you bring the stories into people’s living rooms . . . a real dialogue can begin. That’s what I hope we can do with this new show in a world where hate crimes have reached an egregious level.”

Wolf could be right: a 2015 study indicated that Law & Order: S.V.U.positively educated viewers about rape—something that was not true of other procedurals, such as CBS’s C.S.I. . . . Whether Hate Crimes can have the same kind of net-positive effect, of course, remains to be seen.

I never knew that Wolf intended to create content that had a social impact.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

I wonder how the beginning narration will go for this one? But, come to think of it, did L&O: Los Angeles even get one? I don't think that barely had theme music.

The Mothership, SVU, CI, and Trial By Jury did, though. So we'll see! I'm curious about the dumbest stuff, I know.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I wonder how the beginning narration will go for this one? But, come to think of it, did L&O: Los Angeles even get one? I don't think that barely had theme music.

The Mothership, SVU, CI, and Trial By Jury did, though. So we'll see! I'm curious about the dumbest stuff, I know.

Oh, I will probably watch the premiere just to see if they use the Cha-Chung. LOL

• Like 3

VO: In the criminal justice system there is a lot of fucked up shit..rapists, pedophiles, serial killers..they are all in jail now...but a new group of Hate Criminals and those that pursue them has emerged...These are their stories...

• Like 8

On 9/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, paigow said:

VO: In the criminal justice system there is a lot of fucked up shit..rapists, pedophiles, serial killers..they are all in jail now...but a new group of Hate Criminals and those that pursue them has emerged...These are their stories...

Perfect!

2 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

when does this new show start?

As of this TVline article (dated September 4) "An exact premiere date — or even a time frame — is not yet known."
Does "time frame" in this case mean year and season?

This September 10 Backstage article states "There will be a little bit more law and order this coming year," but I don't know if "this coming year" is just the writer taking poetic license, but, regardless, I suppose "this coming year" could mean any time between now and December 2019.

The show is now delayed "indefinitely". Wolf claims he wants to get it "right", but it doesn't inspire me with confidence that it'll see the light of day anytime soon.

Another article which gives a little more cause for optimism and provides some more clues as to what the issues might be, I found it interesting that there have been some offers to actors, but nobody has been cast yet. I speculated on the SVU forum that it might be a negotiating ploy on NBC's part tied to that show's renewal, but it is just as plausible that they are having a hard time casting it, given that Wolf has a history of clashes with the networks over choosing actors and the trend has been to more and more network micromanagement of the casting process. Also he has a lot of shows on the air at the moment so he might be running low on actors who fit the Venn diagram of those he likes and trusts, those willing to work for what he pays, and those who the suits will sign off on.

• Like 2