Type keyword(s) to search

Empire Anticipation

• Start Topic

TV Guide sez:

This unique family drama set amidst a hip-hop empire will feature both original and current music. The Butler's Lee Daniels and Game Change's Danny Strong will write and executive-produce with Brian Grazer and Francie Calfo . Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, Gabourey Sidibe, Jussie Smollett, Bryshere Y. Gray, Malik Yoba, Kaitlin Doubleday, Trai Byers, Tasha Smith, Macy Gray, Grace Gealey will star.

Oh, gosh. Well, this doesn't look very good. I perked up when Taraji P. Henson showed up (I thought she was wasted on Person of Interest) but otherwise I'm going to have to pass on this show unless it gets amazing reviews. 

Taraji is the real deal and I will be watching. I saw "No Good Deed" strictly form her and Idris and Lord knows that kind of movie is never one I would ever pay to see. But they are worth every minute.

I hope the reviews are great. 

• Love 1

I wonder how this will compare to Power? Empire will be on a regular broadcast network so it won't be able to get away with the kind of language and adult scenarios that Power can. Whatever, I have mixed feelings about Terrence Howard but I will support Taraji. (Maybe she could get Idris to do a cameo...)

I will definitely watch at least the first episode for Taraji and Terrence, but I'm side-eyeing some of the supporting cast and some of the producers.

I'm also concerned because to me FOX's shows tend to look very cheap compared to ABC/CBS/NBC and Cable (with the notable exceptions of SyFy and USA) and the flashiness of the promos aside, I wonder if they spent all their money getting Taraji and Terrence.

Edited by Tiger

I still can't force myself to summon any interest to see this show.  Terrance Howard is a medicre actor who's lost his looks.  I don't find any of the sons attractive, and none of the music played in the promos sounds compelling. I suppose Taraji's character looks interesting, but......

Maybe the promos aren't doing it justice.

• Love 1

It sounds like a music-based The Lion in Winter to me, from the first preview I saw. I am so psyched!

I just read the plot description in Entertainment Weekly and immediately came here to ask, "Hey, has anyone noticed that it's basically the plot of The Lion in Winter?" I guess so!

• Love 1

I just watched the previews and cast interviews and I'm pumped for this. Other than the blatant self-promotion and typical Fox hype, I think this has the potential to be good. TPH is a desperately under-rated actress and I think this show finally gave her some real meat to work with.