Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who: Shada - The Lost Episode

• Start Topic

In a previously unbroadcast and legendary story by Douglas Adams, 'Shada' combines original live-action footage with hand-drawn animation, remastered footage and newly recorded voices of the original cast.

Airs tonight, July 19 at 8:00 (ET) on BBC America.

• Love 2

*sigh* I want to try to go to bed early, but this is the only time BBCA will be airing it, and there are 33 holds in front of me for the sole DVD in my library's system. I will be watching.

I've never seen "Shada" all the way thru; bits and pieces of the animated sections on You Tube! Since the BBC is telecasting it on TV, I might as well add it to my collection! Been a while since I've taped anything for "Doctor Who" to VHS tape! See ya'll later! '-)

(edited)

Shit, why no warning when they cut to animation? I was thinking only the last few parts would get that treatment. I'm watching, having fun, GAAAAAHHH!!! I mean, the style isn't bad, but it's just so jarring.

Additional: One, that music is an earworm isn't it? Two: Glee Club. Huh?!?

Edited by Lantern7

I wonder how many Doctor Who fans that have only watched the newer Doctors are confused.  "Why is everything so brightly lit? Why is this dude so cheerful?  What's with the scarf?  Why isn't he moony over the woman?"  

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

I wonder how many Doctor Who fans that have only watched the newer Doctors are confused.  "Why is everything so brightly lit? Why is this dude so cheerful?  What's with the scarf?  Why isn't he moony over the woman?"  

Tom Baker is "The Doctor!" The scarf is iconic and used for comical relief all the time; last time I can remember is on "The Simpsons!" ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

Tom Baker is "The Doctor!" The scarf is iconic and used for comical relief all the time; last time I can remember is on "The Simpsons!" ;-)

Damn right he is.  And always will be.

• Love 3

Yet another crack at Shada? If it had been completed in the first place, it would be a perfectly good story. The bulk of its appeal is IMO its incomplete status. I liked the animated version with Paul McGann and Lalla Ward from a few years ago, though I realise it's pretty old nowdays.

IDK about it being a perfectly good story! I may have to watch again, but I still have no idea who this villain did all he was able to accomplish; seemingly smarter and more powerful than the Time Lords! So there are TL's on Earth living amongst us! Who was that woman searching for the book; an agent of the TL's! There was a lot I must have missed in the 3 hours of trying to tape it! Funny, I thought Professor Chronotis was the same actor who played Doctor Kettlewell in "Robot" a few years before, but they're only the same size, old & studious looking! ;-)

On 7/19/2018 at 8:58 PM, EAG46 said:

My husband is a big-time fan, and he's had me watch bits and pieces over the years.  It's not so much that kind of ephemera that prevents me from getting really immersed, it's the pacing.  And while the Doctor isn't too moony over the women (you could see how much Tom Baker hated Louise Jameson, and how much he and John Pertwee both adored Elisabeth Sladen), he and Lalla Ward had a really hard time being purely platonic. City of Death seems like a romantic getaway for the Doctor and Romana.  

As for Shada, I guess it was fine.  A lot of the dialog was really funny.  I did get a big smile over the appearance of contemporary Tom Baker.  Almost as much as I did his unannounced appearance in The Day of the Doctor.

Maybe one day, they'll fill in all of the missing episodes with animation.  Who knows?  Who nose?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, starri said:

My husband is a big-time fan, and he's had me watch bits and pieces over the years.  It's not so much that kind of ephemera that prevents me from getting really immersed, it's the pacing.  And while the Doctor isn't too moony over the women (you could see how much Tom Baker hated Louise Jameson, and how much he and John Pertwee both adored Elisabeth Sladen), he and Lalla Ward had a really hard time being purely platonic. City of Death seems like a romantic getaway for the Doctor and Romana.  

I like Classic Who pacing, but then I've been watching since the Tom Baker years.  And City of Death really was a romantic getaway for Tom and Lalla - it definitely shows onscreen.  :-) 

ETA: I'm halfway through my BBCA recording. Pretty sure I've seen every version to date. I don't really care for this style of animation though. If they're going to animate it, they should really animate it. Even old Filmation stuff, like ST:TAS is easier to watch. 

• Love 1
On 7/21/2018 at 3:51 PM, tessaray said:

And City of Death really was a romantic getaway for Tom and Lalla - it definitely shows onscreen.  :-) 

The punting scenes in Shada as well.

• Love 1

I mean, even back in the day I always assumed that the characters were a couple during Romana II's stint. And mid-80s teenage me was not looking for signs of romance in science fiction programming.

Man, seeing Skagra walking around Oxford in that jumpsuit, hat, and cape gave me flashbacks to Antonio Fargas' pimp duds in I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. The 70s were a unique time for fashion.

• Love 4

I liked it, though the tacked-on denouement with Tom Baker was pushing it. I never got into Douglas Adams, but I can see his appeal in his three stories.

Animation was good, but couldn’t the monsters be as janky as they looked in live action?

• Love 1
On 7/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, starri said:

The punting scenes in Shada as well.

Which were so good, they were reused for the Fourth Doctor's appearance in The Five Doctors.

This was fun to see. I agree about the pacing problems, which I think are typical of the era, especially for a six episode story. I found it helpful to take a break about an hour in, at the end of what would have been the third episode. I found the episode ending cliff-hangers to be fairly obvious. The animation style didn't bother me and I was pleasantly surprised that there was as much live-action footage as there was. The costumes and ridiculous monsters were a real blast from a past, and I found a real fondness in my heart for it.

• Love 2