Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The House That Built Me

On 7/1/2018 at 6:01 AM, Efzee said:

did I forget anyone?

No but even though your version of Maddie would be a better version, it's still too much Maddie for my tastes. 

13 hours ago, piratewench said:

One last Teddy comment - while it’s obvious it matters to people, I just truly don’t understand why. Were you always big Teddy fans?  And why is it so very necessary to address this particular plot point?  If the actor’s not returning, it just feels unnecessary. Just imagine in your head how that was resolved. Not every single thing needs to be spelled out explicitly.

No.  Not everything little thing does.  Another thing that didn't need to be explicitly stated was when Teddy was getting out of prison.  They could have left it vague.  But they made it explicit.  And it's not even like the writers can blame previous writers.  These people were in charge when it was written in. 

I liked the actor.  I was as invested in him as a character I was in Rayna and in Deacon.  They all had me on their side at times.  They all had me opposing their choices. 

So I know, considering he has been gone a while, it might seem silly to care about him but it's oddly easier to care about characters who aren't around these days than it is to care about people who are on screen.  Personally, as much as I like Deacon and Charles Esten, I didn't sign up for an All About Deacon show--Deacon as a widower, Deacon as a grieving father to two grieving girls, Deacon as a musician, Deacon as a music mogul, Deacon as a cousin and lately, Deacon as a lover.  Now Deacon as an abused son.  This hasn't been spread out over the series but basically during the last 21 episodes of this show (effectively one broadcast season).

57 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

I assume it's a budget issue. By keeping everyone separate it's easier to mix and match which fraction of the main cast is in each episode. But yeah, it's weird to be keeping everyone apart in the final stretch of episodes. I had kind of assumed they'd reunite Gunnar and Scarlett in the end but I don't see how that's possible when they're never in the same room. 

Yep.  Most of the separations are likely due to budget issues and maybe some other scheduling.  By minimizing who people share scenes with, they can block schedule filming and scenes with more characters are more expensive to film.  Gunnar and Scarlett?  That one, however, might be related to behind-the-scenes tension. 

• Love 3

The only reason Gunner and Scarlett being separated is an issue is because I’m like not ruling them out reuniting by series end. Granted for all the couples on this show everything feels up in the air with what they will do. Except for maybe Jessie And Deacon- that clearly feels like it’s building up to their grand romantic ending.

But yeah But gunner and Scarlett is odd because they were a big romance for the show and now they’re so far removed from each other.. is strange.

But whatever. Like I said.. anything is a toss up what this show is going to end. It’s strange that we’re not really wrapping stories up, we are just adding and more developments to a show that’s ending.

(edited)

I’m sorry but this show has rewritten backstory, retconned character history, dropped storylines, and every other permutation from the beginning. The old writers actually did it more often than the current ones. I don’t think it’s lazy storytelling at all. It’s been a choice. Whatever suits the current storyline is what they write. I remember how FURIOUS Deyna fans were over the blatant rewriting of their history in the episode where Rayna goes to beg Beverly to save Deacon. Juliette’s backstory has been rewritten multiple times. It’s always been a choice. So if they drop your personal wishlist item to wrap up, it was a choice, because they didn’t want to tell that story. 

Edited by piratewench
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Gunnar and Scarlett?  That one, however, might be related to behind-the-scenes tension. 

This is the one I was thinking of the most. Their chemistry and musical compatibility was so strong as soon as they got together that to not have them become friendly again at some point after the breakup makes me wonder. It's too bad if that's the case but it's not like it's never happened to onscreen couples before. Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd come to mind.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, piratewench said:

They’ve had special writers sessions so that songs could actually be written to fit the scenes instead of finding existing songs and shoehorning them in. There have been some songs in the past written specifically for a scene but not as much as recently. Plus we’ve had some really fantastic songwriters specifically writing for the show these last two seasons. 

They've always had the songs specifically written for the show - I don't think they've ever tried to just find songs and shoehorn them in - whether or not they were written to fit specific scenes may be another story. Songs may have been written to fit something more generally happening in the artists lives than any specific scene. I suppose that's kind of the same thing but I think back to a song like Juliette's "Undermine" and how that was born out of her desire to move on from her cookie cutter, country pop princess image and be taken more seriously as an artist and writer. It wasn't so "Taylor Swift-like, instant gut reaction to this specific thing that just happened to me", which is what a lot of the songs now seem to feel like to me. It's not that they're necessarily bad, but they all kind of sound the same and not so unique to the individual onscreen artists who are supposed to be writing their own material. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with budget issues, because back in the ABC days they had enough so that they could get grammy winning producer T-Bone Burnett to oversee all of the music and find the best song writers who were similar to the shows characters to contribute songs that were tailored to those characters. Now I believe they have a set group of writers catering to all the characters, and while the songs may not necessarily be bad, the individual artistry of each character is being lost. It also doesn't help when the music largely gets shoved to the background in favor of stupid, hacky soap opera dreck.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Daltrey said:

I don't think they've ever tried to just find songs and shoehorn them in 

Actually, yes they have.  Many of the songs, if you look them up, especially during the first season, but even farther along, were songs not written for the show.  I actually remember an article about the song "Don't Put Dirt On My Grave Just Yet", where the songwriters were asked to modify the song for the show.  But, again, it was a song not written specifically for the show.  Some other examples are "No One Will Ever Love You", "If I Didn't Know Better", and "When The Right One Comes Along".  In season 4 they used a song written and performed by Rita Wilson and gave it to Rayna.

Yes, there certainly have been songs written specifically for the show throughout the years, but never as much as the last couple years.  And I believe the songs that have been written the past two seasons are quite good, but we certainly don't have to agree on musical tastes.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Plus, with them exploring Daphne's emotional state it is also weird that her father being sent to prison wouldn't have ever come up. It seems like perfect country song material.

I'm not a Teddy character fan--felt like they kind of drove his character into the ground so was kind of glad he went off screen. I agree they should at least reference him from time to time. But quoting you because I seriously had not considered this angle, but good night, you are correct. Perfect, classic country song material. Especially if she goes to pick him up in the pouring rain. . .

anyway the fact they are not mining that for the world's best country song shows how far this show has gone away from the music. My Mom Died and Dad Went to Prison. Maddie for the CMA song writer's award.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Daltrey said:

This is the one I was thinking of the most. Their chemistry and musical compatibility was so strong as soon as they got together that to not have them become friendly again at some point after the breakup makes me wonder. It's too bad if that's the case but it's not like it's never happened to onscreen couples before. Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd come to mind.

Did something happen between the actors?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, piratewench said:

Nashville has always been a show where storylines have been dropped right and left, all the way back to the beginning, so if it still happens today, I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Dropped storylines, as in characters who were here for a little while, then inextricably disappear and aren't mentioned again, strikes me as being very realistic for Nashville the city.  I would imagine that a lot of people head to Nashville to make their dreams come true and once they arrive, realize that they aren't that talented or that they are talented but don't want to do what is necessary to be successful (whether that involves too much compromising or doing things one isn't comfortable with) or life interferes and for whatever reason, they are no longer running in this small circle of people/artists. 

I've always thought that the carousel of disappearing characters on Nashville the show, were a conscious decision by story runners to indicate how the town/industry runs off almost as many people as it attracts. Scarlett was almost one of those people who "disappeared" back in Season Two.

But I think of it differently when details are dropped about a main character who is on screen every week.  For instance, not one person, even right after Rayna died, when Deacon was barely surviving at all, asks Deacon if he needs to go to a meeting or if he's taking the medications he must take due to the liver transplant.  It wouldn't need to interfere with a storyline, just a random comment as he walks into the kitchen. 

In a television show where you want me to be emotionally involved with the characters, this continuity helps push the fictional story.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, seewillrun said:

But I think of it differently when details are dropped about a main character who is on screen every week.  For instance, not one person, even right after Rayna died, when Deacon was barely surviving at all, asks Deacon if he needs to go to a meeting or if he's taking the medications he must take due to the liver transplant.  It wouldn't need to interfere with a storyline, just a random comment as he walks into the kitchen. 

In a television show where you want me to be emotionally involved with the characters, this continuity helps push the fictional story.

I get that you look at it differently.  I still don't need it, but respect that it's important to you.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, bilgistic said:

Maddie was dead-ass wrong to go talk to Deacon's dad. Deacon said to leave it alone, girl. Don't mess in grown folks' business. Deacon's father was horribly abusive and Deacon has every right to keep him out of his life. I hate Maddie.

I'm also really pissed that no one called any mental health experts (his doc, for example) when horse boy (Sean?) was having a breakdown. He needs to be under a doctor's care. Scarlett doesn't have any mental healthcare training and has no business trying to talk someone down. I hate Scarlett.

Alannah is a dumbass for signing with Brad. She knew it was dumb but did it anyway. I hate both of them. Avery is pushing my limits by being involved with Alannah.

I hate whiny-ass Gunnar. Get a hobby.

Deacon, don't let me down. You're the only character I still like.

Amen to everything you said.   Deacon is the only reason I'm hanging on till the end.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, piratewench said:

I’m sorry but this show has rewritten backstory, retconned character history, dropped storylines, and every other permutation from the beginning. The old writers actually did it more often than the current ones. I don’t think it’s lazy storytelling at all. It’s been a choice. 

It is definitely a choice. A choice to be a lazy writer and ignore continuity to tell the story they want to tell. Setting up a storyline that you have no plans to address is a poor choice. It's not like I'm saying Teddy needs to be onscreen or constantly mentioned. But they should follow up on loose ends that they chose to put in the story. Good writing includes following through on things that were introduced earlier in the story.

I haven't paid attention to when the writers have changed and which season had writers doing a poorer job.  In past seasons there was bad writing. In this season there is bad writing. I'm only talking about the current season because that's what on now.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2
On 7/3/2018 at 7:09 PM, KaveDweller said:

It is definitely a choice. A choice to be a lazy writer and ignore continuity to tell the story they want to tell. Setting up a storyline that you have no plans to address is a poor choice. It's not like I'm saying Teddy needs to be onscreen or constantly mentioned. But they should follow up on loose ends that they chose to put in the story. Good writing includes following through on things that were introduced earlier in the story.

I haven't paid attention to when the writers have changed and which season had writers doing a poorer job.  In past seasons there was bad writing. In this season there is bad writing. I'm only talking about the current season because that's what on now.

Choice, lazy, whatever. I would never suggest, though, that anyone be forced to wrap up a story point if they choose not to. I don’t think there’s a rule that they have to do it, although I understand it may be a preference. 

5 hours ago, piratewench said:

Choice, lazy, whatever. I would never suggest, though, that anyone be forced to wrap up a story point if they choose not to. I don’t think there’s a rule that they have to do it, although I understand it may be a preference. 

I would say lazy, with a significant disregard for the intelligence of the audience. Of course, no one HAS to do anything and no TV writing team HAS to be good. But the dropping of plot points and characterisation on Nashville (in every season) has contributed to it being far less than the sum of its parts. It could have been amazing.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2018 at 8:13 PM, Daltrey said:

We don't know, that's what some of us are wondering about.

Shades of NCIS? Pauly P and Mark H-type feud maybe. I had heard that the Scarlett and Gunnar actors did not get along in real life but it's like she went to a different state or show even.

At least this CF will be over soon though it's sad because I loved it in the beginning when there actually was music.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, kittygirl said:

Shades of NCIS? Pauly P and Mark H-type feud maybe. I had heard that the Scarlett and Gunnar actors did not get along in real life but it's like she went to a different state or show even.

At least this CF will be over soon though it's sad because I loved it in the beginning when there actually was music

Yeah, could be, who knows? I haven't heard anything ever about them not getting along and anything I saw outside the show such as the specials seemed to indicate they were cool, but anything is possible I suppose. I agree 100 percent with your last statement. If there had been a seventh season it would need another major overhaul to get me to keep watching, and I doubt that would've happened.

• Love 1

Clare and Sam  - I thought the two actors had dated at the beginning of the show, like maybe season one and two.  Then had a bad break up which affected how they interacted even during the Nashville concerts.  A couple of years ago, when they went to London, not a single picture ever had them standing together.  The others, Chip, Jonathan, were always standing between them, kind of like a buffer in pictures.

Even this year, during the Great Britain tour, they did not sing "Fade Into You" at all the concerts and when they did sing it, they were at separate microphones and there was seldom any eye contact. 

Also, on social media, Clare has made statements regarding Scarlett and Gunnar, which hints that she sees Gunnar as the guilty party as to why the show couple were no longer a couple.  Since this is the opposite of how I saw the show couple, I wonder if there isn't some residual "real life" animosity affecting her view of their relationship on the show. 

Or this could all be ridiculous rumors and I'm way too invested in this ship. 

• Love 2

I have wondered if there was some jealousy on Clare's husband's part regarding Sam. I knew they didn't get along, but I have also heard that Clare's husband wanted to be on the show as her love interest and well...thank God that never happened.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, kittygirl said:

At least this CF will be over soon though it's sad because I loved it in the beginning when there actually was music.

There's been a lot of chatter about the two of them not getting along - mostly Clare not liking Sam, although I've never really heard why.  She got to where, on the cast tours, she wouldn't sing with him either.  When she did a Scarlett/Gunnar duet, she'd do it with her husband instead.  She did actually sing with Sam at the final cast show at the Opry in March.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, seewillrun said:

Also, on social media, Clare has made statements regarding Scarlett and Gunnar, which hints that she sees Gunnar as the guilty party as to why the show couple were no longer a couple.  Since this is the opposite of how I saw the show couple, I wonder if there isn't some residual "real life" animosity affecting her view of their relationship on the show. 

To be "fair" to that POV, that's how the show constantly presented it as well.  Last season was all about how Gunnar hurt her and she couldn't trust him because he dated her friend so she had to go sleep with the director who yelled at her on set or something.  Now, I think that POV is messed up but that's what the scripts she was memorizing were explicitly saying.

But yeah, this thing between them has gone back a long time.  In Season 2, I remember her really pushing Avery and Scarlett on social media even though his story was Juliette and hers was obviously meant to be Gunnar. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, piratewench said:

She got to where, on the cast tours, she wouldn't sing with him either.  When she did a Scarlett/Gunnar duet, she'd do it with her husband instead.

Wow! I just checked some YouTube clips of her singing with her husband and he sucks compared with Sam! He's not bad but the performances seem lackluster and disinterested on his part; none of the life or drama that Sam was capable of breathing into his part of the songs. If I had payed good money to see one of those concerts, I would've been pissed!!!

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:39 AM, Daltrey said:

Wow! I just checked some YouTube clips of her singing with her husband and he sucks compared with Sam! He's not bad but the performances seem lackluster and disinterested on his part; none of the life or drama that Sam was capable of breathing into his part of the songs. If I had payed good money to see one of those concerts, I would've been pissed!!!

It felt like we were cheated too, especially since she and Sam were both there.  I was with a group that went to the last cast show in March and the prevailing wisdom was that if she didn't do a duet with Sam - and did it with Brandon instead - we'd be furious.  But thankfully that didn't happen.

• Love 2