Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

John Wesley Shipp interview:

What was it like to be back on the new Flash series after a while, since Jay’s been absent since last season?

It’s a very exciting episode. I completely understood the need for them to pare it back to the core cast, because we got pretty spun out in the third season with 21 Earths and overlapping timelines. I knew at the end of the season. I said “my guess would be they’re going to pare it back,” and they did that, down to the core cast, to remind us that this is about Barry, and Barry and Iris. What that has set up is a great deal of excitement and anticipation about what will be, really, the first big speedster episode of the season.

It’s great to come back on the tide of that excitement. I’m reading on Twitter, I’m reading on social media… people are so stoked for this episode, and they have good reason to be. I think it’s a brilliant concept. I think Todd Helbing and Sterling Gates added so much, and the whole concept of being in Flashtime and having a limited amount of physical resources and time in which to solve this problem before all Hell breaks loose… I just think it’s a great way to get us all in there working together.

Another interview with Violett Beane, about tonight's episode (minor *spoilers*), and a few other things:

This sounds like a super experimental episode.

Yeah, no, it definitely is. I mean having all the Speedsters—or most of them—back in one room, it's pretty epic, I would say.

How long is the Flashtime sequence, where everyone else is frozen and you guys are the only ones moving?

It's pretty much the whole episode. And that aspect of it was super fun to shoot because we were the only ones moving and everyone else was frozen for basically two weeks of shooting.

Latest Chronicles of Cisco:

It was clear we all needed to chill out and with last week’s Olympic inspired Team Flash games in the rear-view I thought our winter sports adventures were over, until Ralph burst into my lab with two tickets to see the Keystone City Combines play ice hockey. Even though, Ralph said he was done being bummed about what happened to Izzy – I heard him bragging about how Big Belly Burger was having a special give away where for every ten combo meals you buy you get a free ticket… and apparently, he won two.  I’d say homeboy was still eating his feelings and I could tell he needed a friend, so I agreed to join him.  ...

Grant gets an honorable mention in TVLine's Performer of the Week:

As The Flash sweated out his own version of the Kobayashi Maru this week, Grant Gustin had us feeling Barry’s frustration to the point that it almost hurt. “Freezing time” in order to somehow neutralize an exploded nuclear bomb, Barry was at first calm and calculating, enlisting Jesse, Cisco and Caitlin to offer their individual expertise. But as every fix would up foiled, the agony of defeat began to set in, and Gustin’s face heart-crushingly communicated Barry’s fading sense of hope. When Barry then confided to Iris his failure, Gustin went for broke as a man — a hero — broken. That is, until Iris said those magical little words (“quark sphere”), and waves of relief and love zipped through Barry like a lightning bolt, powering him through one last, day-saving dash.

• Love 1

Some quotes from Candice and Helbing about the "Run, Iris, Run" episode:

“[She’s] using everything she’s learned, plus Barry’s expertise,” Helbing says. “But we really wanted to have this dynamic when they flop places where she really gets to know what it’s like for Barry when he goes out there, and Barry gets to know what it’s like for her [back in STAR labs].”

Patton says co-star Gustin was instrumental in helping her get used to the costume and the stance she was going to have to take when running. “He’s had four years to perfect that, and I got one episode to just try to not look stupid!” She said. “It was weird and challenging and fun and interesting all at the same time. It was great — I was glad I got to do that.”

“We’ve seen, in little ways, Iris and Caitlin and the other women on the show saving the day without powers, but there is something cool about seeing a strong, bada– female superhero [too]. It gives young girls something to aspire to,” Patton says. “I walked out of ‘Wonder Woman’ with my girlfriend Caity Lotz who’s on ‘Legends [of Tomorrow]’ going, ‘This is what white men must feel like every day!’ It’s important for young girls to walk out and feel empowered.”

Of her experience suiting up for “The Flash,” Patton says “the bucket list is checked.”

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-flash-run-iris-run-candice-patton-interview-1202723734/

Ebony magazine did an interview (and photoshoot, I assume) with Candice! They also promoted the upcoming episode:

I hope her hero name isn't really 'Purple Flash', though.

-----

(Grant, do more press!)

• Love 1

TVLine has more quotes from Helbing and Candice:

The plotline also gave the writers a chance to craft a different kind of origin story. “We knew we were going to do it in one episode, so it’s not like she can go through all the trials and tribulations that Barry went through,” executive producer Todd Helbing explained. Instead, they focused on two goals: “We wanted to have her do something that Barry’s never done before,” with the help of his expertise. “But we really wanted to have this dynamic [where,] when they [switch] places, she gets to now know what it’s like for Barry every time he goes out there, and Barry gets to know what it’s like for her.”

“There is no school for acting in front of a green screen, not that I’m aware of,” the actress lamented. “It’s like your arms are moving, your legs are not, which is a weird thing. Grant, God bless him, he was giving me tips. He was like, ‘Don’t stand up straight and do it, because you’re going to look ridiculous. You literally have to hitch over.’ … It was weird and interesting and fun and challenging all at the same time. It was great. I’m so happy that I got to do that. [But] I don’t know that I’d want to do it every day.”

And the Ebony interview with *spoilers* at the start:

Candice, how’s it being a part of the CW network and their initiatives on diversity?

This pioneering role that I have got to do, I feel like my community, the black community, doesn’t really know about me and I also feel like we haven’t been able to reach them in a correct way, which is unfortunate.

We have so many diverse actors and so many interesting things happening on the network, and I just wanted to make sure we have more diverse outlets being involved to know what we are doing.

My character is traditionally white in the comic book and I feel like our community doesn’t know that. There’s a bunch of diverse comic book fans who may not even know about our show, or that they did some race bending, for the time, that was 2014, that was before we started seeing a lot more African American women pop into comic books and TV shows.

I feel like CW was at the forefront of trying to change that dynamic.

It’s Women’s History Month! So what did it feel like to have Iris be the superhero on The Flash?

I understand the importance of being a black woman. It’s so important for young girls of color, young girls of any color to see diverse women as the heroes of their own story.

It’s been a long time coming and we’ve seen that in little ways with Iris and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) and the other female characters on the show kind of saving the day without any powers, but there is something cool about going to movies and seeing a strong badass female superhero. It gives young girls something to aspire to.

I walked out of Wonder Woman with Caty Lotz (Black Canary) on Legends of Tomorrow [feeling that] ‘this is what white men must feel like every day’ because you got Batman and Superman. You know it’s important for young women to walk out of the movie theater, walk out of watching these tv shows and just feel strong and empowered. I hope [this episode] does that for someone watching.

What is your message to your fans about the “Run Iris, Run” episode before it airs tonight?

This episode is for the young female fans! I want them to imagine themselves in this role, in whatever endeavor they are pursuing in their life. No matter what roadblock gets in the way. We are magic; we can hunker down and figure it out.

Mostly the message is that it’s their episode and they can hopefully enjoy it.

• Love 1

Another interview with Candice:

When it came to Patton's actual purple superhero outfit Helbing admitted that was preordained (for reasons to be revealed later).  However, she did have “a little input” in its look.  "The shoes," Patton gushed.  "I did fight for the shoes!  I called them the David Bowie shoes.  I know they didn't want me to have them because they weren't sure if it was safe.  I was like, ‘Have you seen me walking through Star Labs in the heels I wear?  I can run in some low heels.’  They were the coolest shoes I've ever seen.  I always thought it would be cool for the fans and the show to see Iris suit up, but I never wanted it to be a thing where Iris became a superhero because we have enough superheroes and that's just not who Iris is."

Costume aside, Patton has always felt Iris was a superhero.  "The most important thing about Iris as a character is she is a hero in her own right without any superpowers," she shared.  "She uses her heart, intellect and street-smarts to help the team.  I always say that appeals to the audience, that as human beings every day we can be heroes in our own lives and don't need superpowers or to be struck by lightning to do something important."

• Love 1

Candice interview at TV Insider: *spoilers*!

Did you have to do the whole, the full-body scanning and all that stuff for the effects?

All of it. The full-body scan, the green-screen stuff, doing the ADR, which was a bunch of random sounds of me breathing and running. It was a lot of work. I have a lot of respect for what Grant does.

But it's fun work right?

It was so fun! I think I liked knowing that it was one episode. I would get in and get out, and it wasn't something that I'd have to do for the rest of the season. I really just got to have fun with it and know that it was just a fun little one-off. For me, as an actor, it was doing something different, which is always nice.

• Love 1

And DC's post of the press interview:

“Everybody this year is sort of looking outward and we wanted Iris to look inward and figure out exactly what it is that she wants to do,” explains Flash Executive Producer Todd Helbing. “She made this sacrifice to be team leader when Barry went into the Speed Force, and she’s always doing things for other people. It’s nice to get her to do things for herself and what’s going to make her the most complete version of herself.”

• Love 1

Cisco trains Iris in the latest Chronicles of Cisco:

... When life gives you super speed you make a…well, I don’t really know where I was going with that one. All I know is that crime wasn’t going to stop just because Barry was powerless, so we had to make do with the hand we were dealt – Iris needed a crash course (probably not the best phrase to use) in her newly acquired powers. I’ve picked up a few tricks over the years and felt confident in creating the ultimate training ground for Iris to use on her journey of becoming Central City’s newest speedster. ...

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/171878685110/guys-its-been-a-whirlwind-of-a-week-if-this

The Flash got a few Saturn Award nominations!

Best Superhero Television Series:

Arrow (The CW)
Black Lightning (The CW)
The Flash (The CW)
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)
Gotham (Fox)
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)
Supergirl (The CW)

Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series:

Odette Annable Supergirl (The CW)
Dakota Fanning The Alienist (TNT)
Danai Gurira The Walking Dead (AMC)
Melissa McBride The Walking Dead (AMC)
Candice Patton The Flash (The CW)
Adina Porter American Horror Story: Cult (FX)
Krysten Ritter Marvel’s The Defenders (Netflix)
Rhea Seehorn Better Call Saul (AMC)

Best Guest-Starring Performance on Television:

Bryan Cranston Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (Amazon / Sony Television)
Michael Greyeyes Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
David Lynch Twin Peaks: The Return (Showtime)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan The Walking Dead (AMC)
Rachel Nichols The Librarians (TNT)
Jesse Plemons Black Mirror (Netflix)
Hartley Sawyer The Flash (The CW)
Michelle Yeoh Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access)

• Love 1

John Wesley Shipp interview from Toronto ComicCon:

RC: Going off that point, you have the distinction of playing the Barry Allen Flash and then the original Flash, Jay Garrick. What does that mean to you to have played two generations of The Flash for two different audiences?

JWS: You know what it means to me is reflected in what it means to people who come to these conventions. I have a lot of guys and women who, when they were young, watched the original show with their parents and are now bringing their children who are now watching the new show. There’s this whole multi-generational thing to it and it resonates through ‘I used to watch your show with my dad and now I’m watching the new show with my kids’.  That is a unique thing to be a part of.

That’s what Mark Hamill had also said when he came off the set of Star Wars and was doing the first Trickster episode on The Flash. He said how special and unique an opportunity it is to come back – and not in a token way, but in a meaningful way and contribute to handing the project off to the next generation. I feel really blessed to be in this position. It’s nothing I ever expected. I thought that’d be the last superhero I’d ever play, but you never know.

• Love 1

Yeah, so only watch this if you really like Candice, and want to see her being her cute self:

Good Mythical Morning - Superhero Strip Poker Ft. Candice Patton

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, Trini said:

Yeah, so only watch this if you really like Candice, and want to see her being her cute self:

Good Mythical Morning - Superhero Strip Poker Ft. Candice Patton

Candice isn't just beautiful, she's "cuteiful."  She's pretty and just seems like a really nice, approachable person.

The IMDb Show | Episode 120: The Flash set tour/interview with Kevin Smith and cast:

Spoiler

Okay, so the fact that Candice keeps teasing a pregnancy for Iris, makes me think that's exactly what's NOT going to happen. At least not in present time.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Interesting information from Deadline: 

"The network is expected to play with the sizes of the orders more than ever next season. It already does limited runs for a number of series including DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The 100, iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as well as Jane the Virgin this season. The list may grow bigger next season and include more DC shows I hear."

The CW Renews 10 Series: ‘Riverdale’, All 5 DC Shows, ‘Supernatural’, ‘Dynasty’, ‘Jane the Virgin’ & ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’

I wonder which shows will be getting a smaller order than usual?

31 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Interesting information from Deadline: 

"The network is expected to play with the sizes of the orders more than ever next season. It already does limited runs for a number of series including DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The 100, iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as well as Jane the Virgin this season. The list may grow bigger next season and include more DC shows I hear."

The CW Renews 10 Series: ‘Riverdale’, All 5 DC Shows, ‘Supernatural’, ‘Dynasty’, ‘Jane the Virgin’ & ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’

I wonder which shows will be getting a smaller order than usual?

I suck at predicting these things, but I'm guessing that Black Lightning stays short.

Ha! This is why they don't let Grant do more interviews (but he should do more interviews anyway!); story and spoiler (but not really?) from the orange carpet at the KCAs:

When we asked him about the craziest thing that happened on The Flash set, to date, the 28-year-old actor shared a funny, but scary story that happened to Jesse L. Martin (Joe West).

“Where do I start?” Grant laughed when we first asked before he remembered one particular story. “I just flashed to a moment where Jesse Martin’s life flashed before everybody’s eyes in season two.”

He continues, “I want to say [it was] where a bar was supposed to be secured on this little platform and the bar wasn’t secured and Jesse did a flip over it onto the ground and that was a little scary.”

Spoiler

Grant also gave us a little good news about the rest of the season ahead, especially for WestAllen fans: “We’re still going to be together when the season ends!”

• Love 2

I think Black Lightning will stay short, and Legends as well. Also I bet Supergirl will have a limited run next season.

Probably The Flash and Arrow will stay at 23. 

• Love 2

*Spoiler-y* interview with Carlos Valdes about tomorrow's episode, and other possible developments with Cisco:

Do you guys know who [Mystery Girl] is, or were you trying to piece together these little breadcrumbs as well as you went along and got the scripts?

I try to be willfully ignorant about all the rumors and the reveals and all that stuff, but actors talk, actors love to talk, actors love to talk out loud. So I can’t help it that some of these reveals and resolutions have made their way into my brain, and now I know. It took me a while to figure it out, but enough of my co-workers talked and now I know the secret of who she is and what her role is in this story. And it’s lovely. It really is. It’s cute. I’m excited about it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

He is and based on his appearances and the LoT season finale,  Keiynan Lonsdale very much got the better end of that deal.

Hell, in his first full appearance in an episode of LoT, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFghHs9ZhU&pbjreload=10

Eh- from what I've seen, they're throwing his characterization and history (from The Flash) under the bus.

-----

Report on Tom Cavanagh's panel at Dallas FanExpo this past wekend.

• Love 1