Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E21: Live Top 10 Performances

• Start Topic

(edited)

From TV Guide:

The top ten artists perform for coaches Adam Levine, Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, and Blake Shelton to secure a spot in the top eight.  Kelly performs her new single.

Discuss this two-hour performance episode here.

Edited by Prin Holmes
(edited)

This is supposed to be Challenge Week, but only one, two, or possibly three people are singing any truly challenging songs.  Here are tonight's song choices:

Team Adam

Jackie V.: "Love Triangle" by RaeLynn

Rayshun: "Grant Green" by Mr. Juke

Team Alicia

Britton: "What's Love Got to Do with It?" by Tina Turner

Christiana: "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers

Jackie F.: "Gravity" by Sarah Bare ills

Team Kelly

Brynn: "Fix You" by Coldplay

Kaleb: "Boondocks" by Little Big Town

Team Blake

Kyla: "This is Me" from The Greatest Showman

Pryor: "My Town" by Montgomery Gentry

Spensha: "Red" by Taylor Swift

Just more than an hour left till showtime.  Make of these what you will.

Edited by Prin Holmes
(edited)

Enjoyed most of the performances.  I wasn't feeling  Brynn's performance.  She was a bit pitchy.

On a shallow note, Kyla's dress was gorgeous.

Thanks to  whoever posts the iTunes results.

Edited by Diana Berry
(edited)

Thoughts on tonight's performances:

Kyla: I guess her throwing shade at Adam and Alicia last week and essentially sassing them got her moved all the way up to the death spot this week.  Like I thought, a lot of the public did not like that at all.  That said, she's had better performances, but this was nothing special to me. And the part at which she cried felt completely rehearsed.  Not genuine like Aliyah Moulden two seasons ago.  I really hope no one bought that.

Kaleb: Still not very interesting, in general, but the arrangement of this Little Big Town song was actually more interesting than Kaleb himself.  The band drowned him out in a few spots, but he pulled through, overall.  It'll sell well, and he should pull the votes.

Jackie V.: Overall, a solid job, but I greatly preferred Enid Ortiz and Valerie Ponzio's Battle from two seasons ago.  She connected well, but the vocals could have been a little bit stronger.  Still, she's country, so she might get through.

Rayshun: Oh, no, Rayshun.  This was not good at all.  He put way too much emphasis on performance and not enough on his vocals.  I will be very surprised if this does well.

Spensha: She is such a weird case to me and that some weeks, she can sound very beautiful and totally country.  But then, there are weeks like this, when she can sound like Keisha Renee from last season.  This week felt like her singing country with some R&B stylings going with it.  It was still gorgeous, but if she wants to convince the country fans that she really is trying to get a career and Country Music, she needs to do away with those stylings.  They caught up with Keisha eventually, and they'll catch up with her, too.

Jackie F.: Props to Alicia for actually challenging her team this week, per the premise of this week.  There were a couple of pinched notes here and there, but otherwise, this was probably the strongest performance so far.  I enjoyed it from start to finish.  Excellent work, Ms. Foster.

Britton: He took a classic Tina Turner song and made it interesting arrangement out of it.  Very impressive.  Another one who rose to the challenge this week.

Christiana: A jazzy arrangement was probably a good choice for her.  Not completely perfect, but she definitely delivered.  Once again, kudos to Alicia for actually challenging her team this week, unlike Adam and Blake, both of whom just gave their teams safe choices.  I was also thrilled that's her voice didn't break the way it did last week.  Good step up, and I hope she can avoid the bottom three.

Pryor: I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam, but thank God somebody called him out for being such a screamer in his performances!  It's amazing that he's somehow allowed to get away with it, yet women who scream in their singing aren't.  Really, the song choice was okay, but the overuse of his rasp and excessive yelling just took so much away from it that I couldn't enjoy it. But he's on Team Blake and he's country, so of course he'll get through.

Brynn: A great way to end the show, and another one who was actually challenged this week!  I was initially worried about her doing a Coldplay song, but she actually did pretty well with it!  I was riveted the entire way through.  Much better than last week, and I think it'll serve for well on iTunes tonight.  At least I hope it does.

Also, Kelly's performance of her new single was a good respite during the show, and I enjoyed it probably a lot more than some of the other performances.

So many of them stepped up this week, but only a few of them from actually being challenged.  Okay episode, but I wish they had been more challenged.

Calling Rayshun, Jackie V., and possibly Christiana for tomorrow's bottom three, though.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 4

Small complaint, but "This is Me" is not the title song of "The Greatest Showman." Otherwise, that was a good performance for Kyla. It's selling decently, which is kind of surprising to me because it sounded a lot like the original which isn't that old.

Christiana needs to stop slowing songs down.

Jackie F would be great for Rock of Ages. She makes everything sound kind of Broadway.

Jackie V makes every performance sound like it will last forever. Cool that a Rae Lynn song was performed.

Both Team Adam artists performed before any of Team Alicia. Not a good sign for Adam.

I wanted to love Brynn's performance. She almost sold me but kind of lost it as the song grew.

Britton was mostly in tune until the bridge. I don't think he should win a singing competition, but I could see it happening.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Laurendcc said:

Is it me or is Blake Sheldon obsessed with spensha . I feel like he’s going overboard with the whole black female country artist thing 

It’s as if he is more in love with *the idea of it* rather than the person herself. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Quickbeam said:

It’s as if he is more in love with *the idea of it* rather than the person herself. 

Last season, that was his problem with Keisha, too.

Of course, we all know how that worked out.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Prin Holmes said:

Last season, that was his problem with Keisha, too.

Of course, we all know how that worked out.

Really he did the same thing ? I didn’t watch last season? I just think it’s crazy, he’s been promising her fame since the second performance lol

13 minutes ago, DCCdoll said:

Is it me or is Blake Sheldon obsessed with spensha . I feel like he’s going overboard with the whole black female country artist thing 

Just now, DCCdoll said:

Really he did the same thing ? I didn’t watch last season? I just think it’s crazy, he’s been promising her fame since the second performance lol

The coaches are all prone to hyperbole and like to talk about how their team members are superstars in the making. Blake did have another black female country artist last season, but she wasn't similar to Spensha other than their genre. I give Blake credit for recognizing country music should be more diverse. I think Spensha appeals to him because she is country and has a unique sound. He has a history of liking artists who aren't necessarily big voices but have a little quirkiness to them. 

• Love 7

Results so far:

15. Kyla Jade - Team Blake: "This is Me"

31. Britton Buchanan - Team Alicia: "What's Love Got to Do with It?"

36. Pryor Baird - Team Blake: "My Town"

37. Kaleb Lee - Team Kelly: "Boondocks"

42. Spensha Baker - Team Blake: "Red"

52. Christiana Danielle - Team Alicia: "Ain't No Sunshine"

94. Brynn Cartelli - Team Kelly: "Fix You"

103. Jackie Foster - Team Alicia: "Gravity"

110. Jackie Verna - Team Adam: "Love Triangle"

209. Rayshun LaMarr - Team Adam: "Grant Green"

Yet again, all of lakes team is in the top half, along with one person from Alicia's team in one from Kelly's.  Meanwhile, Alicia other two members make up the bottom half, along with all of Adam's team, and surprisingly, Kelly's main horse.

(edited)

Oops!  MST bumps are in:

10. Kyla Jade - Team Blake: "This is Me"

19. Britton Buchanan - Team Alicia: "What's Love Got to Do with It?"

21. Pryor Baird - Team Blake: "My Town"

31. Spensha Baker - Team Blake: "Red"

33. Brynn Cartelli - Team Kelly: "Fix You"

34. Kaleb Lee - Team Kelly: "Boondocks"

40. Christiana Danielle - Team Alicia: "Ain't No Sunshine"

83. Jackie Foster - Team Alicia: "Gravity"

97. Jackie Verna - Team Adam: "Love Triangle"

180. Rayshun LaMarr - Team Adam: "Grant Green"

Relief has completely wash over me now that Brynn has moved into the top half.  In addition, one member of Alicia's team is there.  But all of Blake's team still makes it up, as well.  I am sick and tired of him getting the good artists.

Meanwhile, all of Team Adam still makes up the bottom half, and joy of joys, the entire bottom two.  If at least one of tomorrow's bottom three isn't one of Jackie V. or Rayshun, I will be very surprised.  Also, the rest of Alicia's team makes up the bottom half, along with Kaleb now, so that's not as bad, since he's right at the cusp of the top half.

Will continue updating this particular post throughout the night.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prin Holmes said:

Pryor: I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam, but thank God somebody called him out for being such a screamer in his performances!  It's amazing that he's somehow allowed to get away with it, yet women who scream in their singing aren't.  Really, the song choice was okay, but the overuse of his arrest and excessive yelling just took so much away from it that I couldn't enjoy it. But he's on Team Blake and he's country, so of course he'll get through.

I don't know if Pryor is looking to be country, I would have said more or a blues/rock type lane,  which is why I think he tries to turn every song into some kind of rock anthem. Although he is living in Nashville so maybe you're right.  He needs to spend some time listening to Chris Stapleton to get some idea of how to use that gravelly power in his voice in a more effective way.  I am kind of hoping Blake will have him do a religious song, Precious Lord or Rock of Ages, it would be fascinating to see what he'd do.  

I liked Britton tonight and thought he did okay, just had to consciously block any thoughts of Tina Turner from my mind since by way of comparison there really is none.

• Love 1
(edited)

Eh.  I'll just update in another new post:

5. Kyla Jade - Team Blake: "This is Me"

8. Brynn Cartelli - Team Kelly: "Fix You"

9. Britton Buchanan - Team Alicia: "What's Love Got to Do with It?"

10. Pryor Baird - Team Blake: "My Town"

16. Spensha Baker - Team Blake: "Red"

17. Christiana Danielle - Team Alicia: "Ain't No Sunshine"

22. Kaleb Lee - Team Kelly: "Boondocks"

53. Jackie Foster - Team Alicia: "Gravity"

73. Jackie Verna - Team Adam: "Love Triangle"

149. Rayshun LaMarr - Team Adam: "Grant Green"

So it looks like Kyla, Britton, and Pryor will get the multiplier, the latter two for their second time apiece, and if Brynn keeps improving throughout the night, she'll probably get it, too.  She is only two places away.  Spensha and Christiana are too low to get it.  Let's be real about that.  Kaleb has no chance edit, either.  But at least he's charting high.

On the other side of the coin, both Jackies are considerably lower, though I believe that Jackie F. could avoid the bottom three.  Jackie V. might be vulnerable, though.  I will be greatly surprised if Rayshun avoids having to sing for his life, though.

More to come.

ETA: It seems that Kyla, Brynn, Christiana, Kaleb, Rayshun, and both Jackies have all moved up.  Everyone else has remained constant.

ETA2: It seems now that Britton, Spensha, Christiana, Kaleb, and Jackie V. have all nosed up.  Everyone else remains constant.

ETA3: Kyla, Spensha, Christiana, Kaleb, Rayshun, and both Jackies have moved up again.  Britton, Pryor, and Brynn all remain constant.  In Pryor and Brynn's case, their songs are stuck behind an Ariana Grande song that is selling like hotcakes.

ETA4: As of 8:00 a.m. EST, Brynn has now overtaken both Pryor and Ariana and is guaranteed the multiplier if she can stay there.  Jackie V. has also moved up.  And Pryor and Rayshun have actually dropped, with the former actually falling out of multiplier territory.

ETA5: Well, it seems like some early-morning downloads of other songs not related to the show has caused some drops for everybody except Kyla, Britton, Brynn, and Pryor.  These are the current standings, and my last update before I call it a morning and head to bed.  I'll be back in a few hours with the final standings.

ETA6: Less then an hour before results time, and I thought I drop in and say that the final results are what are above.  Brynn actually nosed past Britton at the very last minute.  Kyla, Brynn, Britton, and Pryor will all get the multiplier.  At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if these were our top four.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Prin Holmes said:

Pryor: I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam, but thank God somebody called him out for being such a screamer in his performances!  It's amazing that he's somehow allowed to get away with it, yet women who scream in their singing aren't.  Really, the song choice was okay, but the overuse of his arrest and excessive yelling just took so much away from it that I couldn't enjoy it. But he's on Team Blake and he's country, so of course he'll get through.

l am so with you on Pryor, and guys in general being allowed (not the right word) to scream and yell but the women aren't. 

Kyla was the best of the night for me, even if it is a recent song. Kind of surprised she was allowed it, but I think the movie recently had a DVR release so any promotion is good promotion I guess.

I can never hear either of the Jackies, their voices both seem a bit weak to me. Or is it the material.

Glad to see Alicia pushing the envelope a little with her team. Absolutely hated what Britton did to "What's Love Got to Do with It?". Maybe it's just too identified with Tina Turner. OTOH I loved Christianna's version of "Ain't No Sunshine". I liked Spensha's performance too, but I also don't worry much about what kind of artist they claim to be or the hyperbolics of the coaches.

I wonder if the producers would even allow Adam's entire remaining team to get cut tonight (and worse, before the semifinals).

Am I understanding the schedule correctly? Cut from 10 to 8 tonight, with the 8 being Semifinalists. Then cut from 8 to 4 Finalists the next week? And then drag out the Finals for 2-3 more shows from there?

1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

I wonder if the producers would even allow Adam's entire remaining team to get cut tonight (and worse, before the semifinals).

It's happened to him before.  In season three, he lost the last of his team two weeks before the finale, and the week before the semifinals.  And, hell, Christina lost the last of her team three weeks before the finale in that same season.  It happened to Pharrell, as well, two weeks before season seven's finale.  So it could very easily happen again if Jackie V. and Rayshun really aren't getting the votes or support.

I thought there were so some pretty good performances last night and I don't normally like any of them. lol  I did vote for Britton, but, not Rayshun this time.  I think that Rayshun and Kaleb may be in the bottom. 

I thought last night was kind of a mixed bag.  I thought Britton, Jackie F, Kyla, Spensha, and Pryor were fairly good (in roughly that order), though none of them gave a particularly exceptional performance.  I would rank Jackie V and Christiana just below them.  My bottom 3 for the night were Brynn, Kaleb, and Rayshun and I'd like to see these last two go home.  Unfortunately, I think Kaleb may survive at the expense of one of the Jackies. 

I do wonder why both Jackies charted so low on iTunes?  I've seen complaints that their voices were drowned out by the band.  I always watch this show with earphones and to me they both came through very clearly.  Jackie F held out some notes that gave me the chills. 

On the other hand, I have no idea why Brynn did so well on iTunes.  My first take was that she started well, but it kind of turned into a mess as the song went on.  I have admit that I did like it better when listening again on YouTube, but it still seems far from Top 10 iTunes material. 

I don't automatically mind when they change up songs.  It comes down to whether it works for me.  For instance, I really enjoyed what Britton did with "Whats Love Got to with It", despite the fact that Tina Turner's original has a lot of personal significance for me as I associate it with a certain special girl from my youth.  I also really liked what Spensha did with "Red" - better than the original.  On the other hand, I think part of my initial problem with Brynn was that I found the changes she made to "Fix You" a bit jarring.  That's another song with great personal significance for me, but in this case I guess I'm more of a purist.  Goes to show how subjective this can be.

The one comforting thing about the iTunes ranking this week is that maybe Pryor won't run away with this season after all. 

• Love 1

I thought Kyla was doing all right on “This is Me” until she cried at the same spot that Keala Settle did in her live Oscars performance - then it lost credibility. 

Adam’s Jackie actually sounded good on her song, but dang, once again the band drowned her out. They need to fire the sound guy and hire some musicians who understand that they’re the backup.

This Kelly person sounded great and didn’t even have to fight the band. I’m throwing my votes her way!

Other Jackie: all I could think about was Kayla & Kupono on So You Think You Can Dance. Her phrasing felt choppy to me, but at least I could actually hear her.

Drink every time Britton raises his arm to the sky.

Christiana’s performance made no sense to me. It was like Fergie’s national anthem.

That Pryor dude has got to stop shouting at me. He really wants me to understand that this is his town. 

• Love 5
On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Prin Holmes said:

Pryor: I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam, but thank God somebody called him out for being such a screamer in his performances!

Seriously- it's as if every performance is the Chevy Truck ad cut of "Like a Rock."

• Love 5
(edited)

So excited to hear Gravity on this show. No one can out-sing Sara Bareilles on her own music (the depth of her voice is astounding to hear), but I'm glad Jackie Foster tried. 

Edited by Jal
  • Love 3