Type keyword(s) to search

"You Have My Attention": The Speculation Thread

Is that the Shane quote when Amy comes out to him about maybe not faking being a lesbian?

Anyhow, one of the thigs that really grabs me about this little show that came out of left field is that I feel like I have genuinely no idea where they're going to take it. I watch a lot of tv and feel like I can usually see the next five moves on the board pretty easily, but I think because this angle the show takes is so fresh, and there are so many different scenarios in play, I really have no idea where they're going to go with it. And I love that. But I also wouldn't mind spitballing some ideas if other people are interested....

Yes! Good topic.

I can't tell where they're going to take this, either. At this point they could do the realistic thing and have Amy confess her feelings to Karma, Karma freak out a bit because she doesn't feel the same way, and Amy get herself a real girlfriend next season and have Karma feel sort of jealous/replaced... or they could go the more wish fulfillment route and have Karma start to develop feelings for Amy, too. I could see a situation where Karma finally tells Liam that she's straight and faking it, he realizes that he's come to like her as a person and not just as a concept (a lesbian he can sleep with), they start a relationship, and Karma realizes that she only liked him as an idea and that she's happiest and the most like herself with Amy. Or they could do something completely different from either of these things and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think next week's episode will give us more insight into whether Amy's attracted to other girls or only to Karma. Right now she reads as pretty gay to me (and her parents obviously seemed to think so even before she came out, judging by how elated her mom was at the news that Amy was going to a dance with a boy, and her stepdad's comments about wearing pants every day), so I'm thinking that the most unlikely outcome is her deciding she's straight after all (especially considering this tweet from Carter Covington), but who knows?

I'm just genuinely excited for all this to unfold, too, regardless how it happens. At this point I'm not sure how long they'll wait to let Karma know what's going on with Amy. Will Amy tell her? (easier said than done....I needed two glasses of wine at that stage of my young life to confess to my "Karma" and a: she was bi and b: already basically knew.) or will Shane slip up and spill to Karma? Or maybe tell her out of frustration with her being so obtuse? Or hell, will Lauren (is that the evil step sister's name?) do it just to fuck some shit up?

Will they save it for the end of the season and make Karma's reaction a cliffhanger? Or handle it earlier so as to give her time to formulate a reaction? And for that matter, I can see her reacting in half a dozen ways, all perfectly natural, understandable and realistic, even if some lean more wish fulfillment and others lean a little starker and crueler.

I know I keep saying it, but I love that for once I really can't see the twists and turns coming. It's like Space Mountain. :)

I don't know how accurate this episode guide is for the upcoming episodes (it has been accurate so far), but if it's correct,

Amy won't confess her feelings to Karma until the finale. That said, she could come out to Karma before that

. It also looks like Karma will

tell Liam the truth, likely in episode six or seven.

I don't expect them to go through with that threesome at all. I'm just wondering which of the three participants will back out first. Amy would be the obvious choice, but you never know! I just hope it's not Liam; that would be a cheap way to get the audience to like him.

But that will also make us realize he likes Karma as more than just someone to bone. Also wouldn't Karma be an obvious choice as well? Would she want to share with her best friend a guy she's so thirsty for?

Which means Karma will most likely be the one to stop it because I don't think she'd like to share. I bet in next season she'll probably have the same problem with sharing Amy as well.

• Love 2

The episode guide mentions that in Episode 7 Karna suggests a breakup with Amy.

I'm wondering if maybe Amy doesn't get a little carried away during the threesome which freaks Karma out

I don't see Amy as someone who would get carried away in a situation that awkward and, ultimately, hurtful for her. Plus, I hope that MTV learned from the Tea "I'm a lesbian, but my storyline is about fucking a guy" Skins backlash.

I don't expect them to go through with that threesome at all. I'm just wondering which of the three participants will back out first. Amy would be the obvious choice, but you never know! I just hope it's not Liam; that would be a cheap way to get the audience to like him.

I agree. In the same train of thought, I think Karma should be the one. IMO, of the three, she'd come off worst if she doesn't, and there is only so much manipulative, self-absorbed asshattery the audience can be expected to take before turning on her.

• Love 1

Ugh don't remind me of the flop that was Tea. That Tony kid wasn't even cute and needed to learn to brush his teeth.

I don't know if I can ever find myself hating Karma after seeing the actresses Idol audition tape but I do think she is the one who has to stop it. I guess they'll find another way to make Liam more than one dementional. I mean the South Of No where writers managed to make me not meet Aidain even though I know most did.

I do wonder if we'll get a scene with just Amy and Liam where she makes him nervous about being with Karma. Ha!

I don't know how they are going to make that threesome thing seem believable at all, in terms of the charachters actually getting into that room.

For as sexually curious/aggressive as Karma seems to be, I really wonder if she has any idea what a threesome actually is or what Liam (a sexually experienced guy) is expecting see and do once they get there. I mean, how does she even braoch that subject with Amy, who she thinks is just faking?

Well, she did make that binder full of lesbian research material for Amy...

In all seriousness, yeah, I'm really wondering how they'll even get to that point/why Karma would ever think that was a good idea.

Karma seems to do before she thinks so she might blurt it out and Liam is all "k" and Amy's "k" but is secretly dying on the inside. Mean while Karma probably wishes Amy had stopped her from saying something so stupid. I'm not sure if that threesome clip is a dream or not but neither participant seem confident at all even Liam seems nervous.

As one should be.  That's some varsity level sex right there.

I'll be very interested to see who proposes it and who backs out first because it'll be a very "cards on the table" kind of moment.

My presumption is Karma still doesn't suspect anything is up with Amy at that point or she'd never suggest that.  I'll also be curious to hear Shane's reaction if/when he gets wind of it, because I think by then he might be the only character who will know the full deal on all of them.

• Love 1

My prediction after tonight's episode is that Lauren is going to figure out what's going on with Amy before Karma does, but that she'll actually surprise us all by being cool. I don't know why, it was just a feeling I got tonight from her brief humanizing moment admitting that she likes Farrah. I think they're setting us up for a reversal where Amy's tormentor softens when she finds out the truth. Just a hunch from my vast tv watching experience.

• Love 1

I could definitely see that happening, and I hope they do go that route.

I definitely think that the writers are setting up a situation where Liam realizes that he likes Karma as a person and doesn't just want to sleep with her so that he can cross sex with a lesbian off his list of experiences, but I can't figure out how Karma's going to end up feeling about all of this. There are still so many ways this could go.

This is interesting -- it's from an interview with Carter from a few days ago:

What I really hope to do over the long term of the show is grow past the stereotypes. For example, Karma’s view of the world gets shattered over the length of the show. This choice that she makes to pretend to be a lesbian, isn't rewarded in the end. It makes her life more complicated and brings her a lot of trouble.

With the premise of the show being what it is— two girls faking their sexuality— how long can the show continue?

I will tell you that in the finale of this first season, that comes to a head. I won’t give away any more than that, but in the finale of these eight episodes, it will really blow up. It will set us up for a really great season two where the repercussions of that play out.

• Love 1

Trouble and repercussions sounds like Karma and Amy have a falling out. So far the show's world is really light and safe (there was no repercussions for Amy coming out on TV, for example, and her mother - uncomfortable as she may be - wasn't opposed to Amy still seeing Karma and Karma staying the night) so I don't really think we'd see much of Karma really being ostracized at school, for example. Karma losing Amy - and Liam - seems to me like the worst the show would do.

That sneek peek suggests to me that KArma's sexuality is a little more fluid than we've been led to believe.

It seems like she knows what a threesome is, what's expected, and is not only willing, but seemingly eager to try it.

I wonder if the thing that leads Karma to suggest a breakup in episode 7 is the fact that KARMA will be freaked out by how into Amy she is, not the other way around as I previously thought

• Love 1

I wonder if the thing that leads Karma to suggest a breakup in episode 7 is the fact that KARMA will be freaked out by how into Amy she is, not the other way around as I previously thought

Ooh, that'd be a nice reversal the audience wouldn't necessarily see coming.

Yeah, that's not an outcome I'd even considered, but that could be interesting. I'd like that.

There are hints that suggest to me that the girls might get together eventually -- like Carter Covington saying that the fake relationship stuff is over by the finale, but also saying this:

Will we see the serious things that come with being out, whether you’re pretending or real? The show is set in Texas, after all.

CC: We’re going to get into it a little bit with Amy’s family. Amy’s family is just going to be more Texan and not as accepting. So that lie will reverberate in her family very differently than it does in Karma’s family. She comes from parents who are so excited she’s a lesbian. So we’re going to have kind of a fun dichotomy there. And then, I do expect that in later seasons we’ll start to explore what happens when they break out of this bubble of Austin and interact with the real world. For the first eight episodes we’re kind of keeping it more contained.

Or like Rita Volk (who is a big "Karmy" shipper herself) repeatedly telling the fans that the finale is her favorite episode. Or like Lauren picking up on the fact that the girls "act like lesbians" even when not putting on a performance for anyone's benefit. It's also very apparent that most fans of this show want the girls together, so MTV/Covington might want to play to that. I guess it partly depends on how they decided to end it when they wrote and filmed the finale (which they did before any episodes had aired, right?) -- did they mostly tie it up in case they didn't get a season two, or leave it on a cliffhanger of sorts where the girls are separated?

Ratings stayed steady again.

0.4, 850,000 viewers.

The show has developed a core, loyal audience who is tuning in every week.

It's unlikely to ever become a huge smash, but this has to be good enough for at least one more season.

Not a single one of my other shows ended or got cancelled this year, not even Nashville or Hannibal. Faking It can't ruin that for me! I really don't know why MTV hasn't renewed it yet. It's getting a ton of buzz and it has a loyal group of vocal viewers.

I agree with the speculation that there must be some sort of realization of feelings for Amy on Karma's part. I love how in the sneak peek Amy can't stop averting her eyes down Karma's body in the lingerie...at the very least there is no way they can continue to keep Karma this oblivious.

Tumblr is having a field day with that look on Karma's face in the preview when Amy undoes her coat.  It does sort of look like Karma's having a moment there.  Or an epiphany.  And I would find that to be an interesting twist 6 episodes into the season where we've come to think of Amy as the only one struggling with some issues here.

I was contemplating possible scenarios for future seasons, just because I find it interesting to consider where they might take this show once the "faking it" premise is past (which seems imminent, one way or another; that title will very likely seem like a total artifact if this show has a future).

One of the things that came to mind, going back to the original ruse that gave rise to all these events, was Amy and Karma being exposed as fake at the moment they become "real", which would put them in the position of being in a relationship, but nobody at the school believing them.  I'm not really sure how this exposure would happen at this point, and it's probably an overly neat reversal of the premise of the first season, but whatever, worth spitballing.

• Love 1

I've wondered about that possibility, too.  And so far Carter Covington has seemed clever with some of his reversals, so it's a scenario I can kind of picture.  And I'd enjoy the irony and think it could have a lot of potential for a good season 2 arc.

I'm not too worried about Faking It becoming a bit of a vestigial title.  I think that happens on shows sometimes.  And it's highschool.  Someone's always going to be "faking it" in some regard.  In fact I think that might be the larger point anyways.  Everyone's got something to hide.

• Love 1

Having their relationship be real but disbelieved.. urhmm. I think that would be hard to make funny. Not impossible, but. 

Dammit, now I am trying to come up with good season 2's, and so far all I have is variations on "and then the world as we know it ends". Squrkle AI takeover, Amy Raudenfeld, Werewolf hunter.... I've always wanted to see a show make a sudden genre shift ;)

Going with the whole "Their lies turn out to be true" theme, focusing a season on the perils of being poly /in an open relationship would certainly be a plot engine, but not sure that would fly for a show set in high-school.. 

This isn't a very great copy of it, but there's a new promo for the finale:

http://ritavolk-katiestevens-news.tumblr.com/post/87811703867/cory-silva-omfggg-the-new-promo-for-the-faking

Amy's voice breaking on "I love you" to Karma and poor bb I just want to hug her.  Ugh, she hurts my heart.  I hope whatever happens next week it's not too painful.  I never expected having an emotional reaction to this show other than "annoyed" when I started watching it after that annoying pre-season trailer.  I certainly wasn't expecting feelings over it.  Heh.

• Love 1

So judging by that promo Liam finds out one of Karma's lies. I am wondering what the cliffhanger will be. Is it going to be Karma's response to the I Love you or is going to be a moment where Karma has to chose between Liam or Amy? Or something else.

I also wonder if Oliver appearing again may not be about being a love interest with Amy but maybe it has to do with his video lair. Karma and Liam had sex at the school or maybe he gets footage of someone mentioning the girls fake relationship.

The cliffhanger has to be the response to the "I love you." I need a moment y'all. That I love you reminded me of when Alex said it to Paige on Degrassi... I'm to old to be watching these teen series but they keep me from losing my shit over shows like Homeland and Game Of Thrones. lol

I think Liam finds out Karma/Amy were faking it. That's the only thing I can think of.

Imagine if in season 2 the girls are together and everyone doesn't believe them because Liam or Oliver outed their fake turned real relationship? They'll basically go back to how they were before their were faking it except they scissor each other. lol But since Shane is their biggest shipper and adores Amy I don't know if the school would go against him. Of course unless Lauren ends ruling the school.

I'll be sad if MTV don't renew.

We know from promos (

, two, and
) that the following things happen in the finale:

• Liam and Shane crash the wedding; Liam and Karma end up hiding under a table and Liam says "I don't want secrets between us. Nothing but the truth. Deal?"
  • Amy gives a speech at the wedding where she basically admits that she loves Karma.
  • Amy and Karma do an adorable dance routine together.
  • Liam confronts Karma about her lies and she says "I can explain," but he's not buying it ("Like I'd believe you").
  • Amy tearfully tells Karma that she loves her and begs her to step off the edge with her.

I don't know if these things happen in that order. And I still can't figure out how it's going to play out!

Resurrecting this thread to discuss this promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6taXs6XvU

I think we all expected Liam to confess that he slept with someone but not name names, Karma to not realize it was Amy, and it all to blow up much later. However, we now know that Karma knows the truth. At the end of this promo, it looks to me NOT like she's going to yell at or slap Amy, but to hug her. I think the promo is deliberately setting us up to think they'll fight, but that they won't.

However, if that's the case, what's up with that dramatic scene in the mid-season trailer -- the, "This is where you decide whether or not I'm gonna be in your life anymore" one? It doesn't look like that's in the next episode. What else could cause a huge blowup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsH4wpXqDuI

I don't know if I expect Karma to hug her...I was thinking she'd continue to walk past her & give her the silent treatment for a bit, which after a while could lead to the "decide if you want me in your life" confrontation.

I'm also interested to see what this means for the last moments of the midseason trailer. I was thinking it could have been either a dream sequence, or a "bait & switch" for Amy's first time with Reagan...since that ship has now sailed, I'm wondering if it's legit what it looks like, but with Karma's intention being revenge & not love.

Well it could play out a couple of different ways.

1) the straight up anger with a slap or sonething with the necklaces or silent treatment wirh a shoulder push.

2) Karma does hug Amy because she is in denial about Amy being the girl Liam slept with. So the ep will be Amy having work up the courage to say it was her.

3) Karma hugs Amy and acts like she forgives her to only get her revenge later.

About the woah part. I think it will be a dream or a nightmare. A nightmare forAmy where Karma's I know is followed up with something like Karma saying she knows about Liam. If it is this it will be at beginning of next ep. If it is a dream it will be Karma's at the end of ep 10 realizing she has feelings for Amy.

I think Karma just confronts Amy when she walks up to her.

But, what causes the 'necklace' scene I have no idea.

The "Whoa" scene is definitely a dream sequence that Amy is having. Reagan goes down on her but she's thinking about Karma

Amy on bed scene (Whoa), she is actually in her bra, as at the end of today's episode. so it might be happening at the beginning of episode 9 i think.. Yet Karma's "I know" is at the time she is ok already, not being angry.. Which suggest we might see it as a part of a cliffhanger or something...

Amy's bra is different in the Reagan scene from last ep (black). It's like a maroon or purple color in the Whoa scene. So I don't think its a follow-on from this Reagan scene at least. Most likely a dream sequence (either Amy or Karma) or the real thing. I like the idea of it being Karma's dream, that would have some nice symmetry with Amy having surprising Karma dreams in S1 and it would be a very Carter way to end this season. Also the "whoa" and "I know" comments were exactly the same in the threesome episode when Amy and Karma kissed (though reversed). I feel like that has to mean something. It increases the chances it's a Karma dream IMO.

The pillow is the same in tonight's Reagan scene as the Whoa scene though suggesting whatever that is at the end of the promo occurs in Amy's room. (I've definitely analyzed this too much!)

Edited by Misty79

I am not sure about the Amy part because of the pillow she has her head on. I didn't see it at the end of the ep and on the promo for the next ep it has a glimpse of Amy sitting up in bed but the pillows all look white.

One thing I will point out from the S1 preview was that if you looked closely they gave away the last shot of the season with Amy's hands on Liam's back while it panned up to the picture. So who knows what may be the end .

ETA: It definitely isn't the morning after in the next episode. New preview confirms that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYx5ERYwr-8

Edited by ybrik