Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Dating Toledoans

Jack reluctantly agrees to go out on the town with Mary, Stef and Michelle. However, his superiority complex proves difficult for the women of Toledo to overcome. Principal Durbin feels threatened when Helen fills in for him on the school's video morning announcements.

It's apparent by the lack of posting, that this show is not catching on. I'm still watching but only as background. I think they just made this character too unpleasant and even as he softens a little each episode, he's just not likeable  enough or three dimensional enough for me to care.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Caseysgirl said:

It's apparent by the lack of posting, that this show is not catching on. I'm still watching but only as background. I think they just made this character too unpleasant and even as he softens a little each episode, he's just not likeable  enough or three dimensional enough for me to care.

Agreed. I watched it as part of the Thursday night line up on that channel, but... I just don't like the guy. And I'm not sure how I feel about the kids either. (Although I did like that he opened up the can of worms which caused total chaos in the classroom regarding relationships. That was kind of funny). 

I'm the opposite. I like the teachers and can't stand Jack. I actually like Glenn Howerton a lot, I loved him on Mindy Kaling's show. Right now I'm only still watching because I love Heather, the coke-bottle glasses girl. I watch because it comes on after Superstore but I barely payed attention last night so I'll probably be out soon.

• Love 2

Not loving this mostly b/c of the half-assed premise.  As others here have brought up, there is NO WAY a group of over-achieving academic focused kids would tolerate this setup.  Neither would their parents.  Even if he were a one-time substitute, I know of some kids and parents who would be outraged they missed out on 50 min of quality, college-prep class time.  And does that classroom set even have any lab or biology equipment in it??? Is there even a row of plants in the window?  I get that the teacher is not planning to teach biology, but most science-based classrooms have labs/shelves/experiments/charts etc hanging in them.  This classroom could be English or History.  The whole show should have been called "Study Hall" and it would have made a smidge more sense. 

All the classroom stuff aside, I think I'd watch the hell out of show with the Principal & Helen!  Throw in the Greek Chorus in the teachers room. 

• Love 4

I love this show. I actually wondered how they were going to sustain it but I think last night was a turn toward Jack accepting living in Toledo and growing to like it. Which of course will roll out slowly over the course of the series with him still sort of acting like a jerk.  I really enjoy the female gym teacher there .. she was a good add. 

As others here have brought up, there is NO WAY a group of over-achieving academic focused kids would tolerate this setup. 

Totally seems like it is the style of modern TV not to be realistic. Anyone seen 911 or most legal shows? I also wonder if an episode won't address this soon. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BooBear said:

Totally seems like it is the style of modern TV not to be realistic. Anyone seen 911 or most legal shows? I also wonder if an episode won't address this soon. 

It's definitely an absurdist comedy (in the vein of Arrested Development and Happy Endings) and those are my jam.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, BooBear said:

I actually wondered how they were going to sustain it but I think last night was a turn toward Jack accepting living in Toledo and growing to like it. Which of course will roll out slowly over the course of the series with him still sort of acting like a jerk.  

I agree that was the turning point. It's still going to be a very slow pivot and Jack is going to continue to extol the virtues of Anywhere But Toledo but he's already starting to come around the tiniest bit. In that sense, this show reminds me of Schitt's Creek (another absurdist comedy).

• Love 1