Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Ruthless

After the city's gun buy-back program is robbed, the team is on a hunt for those responsible. Meanwhile, Murtaugh walks on thin ice with Trish, Riggs finds an unlikely friend in Ruthie, and Captain Avery is reunited with a college "frenemy" who has key information about the case.

I'm really bummed that Ruth left. I liked her character and thought she and Riggs had a nice dynamic together. I just want Riggs to have another support system in addition to the Murtaughs.

Oh, and Riggs enjoying playing Mahjong was amusing. It's so fun!

I also liked Avery and the ATF guy competing as to who had the looser cannon and comparing their stress related illnesses, lol. 

31 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm really bummed that Ruth left. I liked her character and thought she and Riggs had a nice dynamic together. I just want Riggs to have another support system in addition to the Murtaughs.

He does (at least in the movies). Lorna. Where the hell is she?

And, really, the whole franchise was dependent on the Riggs/Murtaugh bromance. Think that's why the show makes a lot of other support temporary/peripheral, so as not to overshadow that.

5 hours ago, jewel21 said:

He does, the psychiatrist, missing from this episode.

Well, that was a fun episode. Too bad Ruth is leaving but I never expected her to hang around for long. Avery and his ATF counterpart were great and I enjoyed their misery competition. Not sure what to make of the Murtaughs ongoing marital problems. But I enjoyed Riggs and Avery's exasperated eye-rolls at the Sun Tzu quotes - and I was impressed by Riggs getting rid of the book by ripping it apart. Riggs and Murtaugh living together in the RV should provide some good comic relief for an episode or two. 

17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I was impressed by Riggs getting rid of the book by ripping it apart. 

This. I still don't know how he did that and so quickly, lol. I rewound it three times because it amused me to no end.

"My number, baby? 9-1-1"

Martin's 'Ugh' as they walked off cracked me up all through the commercial break.

The look of pride on Avery's face when Riggs without another word took off after Roger in the elevator and replying 'My lunatic' when Blum asked who he was? Just perfect.

Martin pushing aside the bottles to poke his head up from behind the bar and saying 'Lies!' too funny as was Riggs willing to test Roger's gun weighing skills and about to shoot himself in the foot IN the precinct.

This one was pretty good.  As always, there were a lot of moving pieces, but they fit together pretty well.  Booker actually turning out to be an ATF agent, Avery and his college "frenemy" comparing lunatics and ailments, and even the Murtaugh family drama was pretty well done.  With Mom and Dad acting like children, it makes sense that the kids would have to be the adults, or at least Riana, who was the voice of reason here.  RJ was happy just to get two dinners a night, but that's true to his character.

With all that, there was no room for Cahill or Bailey.  I can deal with less Cahill, and Bailey's absence was less noticeable this time, with Bowman again stepping up a bit and the additional "in-house" story with Booker and Blum.  Hmmm... more B's.  I didn't notice that before.  A little Scorcese for seasoning, and it was a pretty good mix overall.

Bummer about Ruthie having to move on, but at least we got some real Mah Jongg.  Well, almost real.  Mah Jongg is by its very structure a four-player game, but I'll admit that we've come up with two- and three-player variations when we didn't have a foursome available.  At least it wasn't the silly tile-matching game that the Internet seems to think Mah Jongg is.  I loved how one of the gang bangers knew what it was and said it was "fun as hell".

So was this how they "killed off" Roger's motorcycle?

On 3/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, TobinAlbers said:

"My number, baby? 9-1-1"

Martin's 'Ugh' as they walked off cracked me up all through the commercial break.

I missed Rigg's "UGH", as I was too busy with one of my own.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, TobinAlbers said:

The look of pride on Avery's face when Riggs without another word took off after Roger in the elevator and replying 'My lunatic' when Blum asked who he was? Just perfect.

Oh Avery. I love him so much. I kept repeating that throughout the episode. 

I was glad to see (finally) some sort of acknowledgment that Trish might be even a little wrong. It always makes me cringe to see the trope of the wife is always right and the husband is always wrong and must apologize no matter who's at fault. (I'm a woman. I feel like I constantly have to prove I'm not like that. It's a bit of a chip on my shoulder.) Yuck. I don't see either as wrong exactly, just having different expectations and frustrations at this stage in life. So I was super annoyed when Roger got kicked out for buying a hoopty -- she could be annoyed that he made a purchase without her, but telling him it was a mistake and kicking him out because he didn't agree isn't right. Try having a conversation, people.

Anyway. I liked Ruth but I didn't expect her to stay either. She was a good "get a grip" friend. A bit too on the nose. In the first episode with her, if she hadn't interacted with other characters I might have thought she was imaginary! She mirrored exactly what needed to hear at every moment. 

Why did the woman with the car so easily point Roger to the crew leader? Seemed out of character for someone around there to be quite so forthcoming to a cop. 911, ha!

I am playing catch up and just watched this last night. I don't like Trish and Murtagh fighting at all.  And now he is moving in with Riggs.  Yes, it will be amusing but I have always enjoyed Roger the family man.  In love with his wife.  In love with his kids.  And what about Harper??  And it is such a stupid mid life crisis.  His job has always entailed risk and I can understand Trish not wanting him to take unnecessary risks like with the bomb in that long ago episode.   A motorcycle doesn't have to be that risky but unfortunately Roger didn't do anything to reassure her.  And I can see that she would be pissed that he bought a car without talking to her.  That is an expensive purchase.  

I just wish they had found another way than to have them fighting.

I must have missed the end of this episode (so I came here to try to find out what I missed). I didn’t see Trish kick Roger out. 

It was implied, or at least hinted at.  Trish was being quite gracious and apologetic, as Riana had suggested, and Roger, rather than reciprocating and admitting that he too was wrong, was all "I accept your apology, and by the way, I bought a car I saw today".  The next thing we see is Roger showing up at Riggs' trailer saying he'd pushed it too far, and I don't remember Riggs' exact words, but he seemed to imply that the situation might be for a while.