Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Both Sides Now

Drogo

JKS is just killing it in this role. I actually have no trouble believing he's two different guys. And he wrings such strong emotions out of me. When Other Howard was talking about Other Emily's miscarriage I felt so bereft.

As for the plot, well I have no idea either. But I will continue to watch for the Howard show. (I also like Emily.)

Why did the woman character whose name I don't know sleep with Baldwin and then betray her?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

Why did the woman character whose name I don't know sleep with Baldwin and then betray her?

Wasn't she the one meeting up with the ambassador at the massage parlor? If I remember correctly, the ambassador told her to get rid of Baldwin.

• Love 3

This was interesting in how it showed that the Howards and Emilys’ lives were fairly parallel less than 30 years ago (although they had already said their wedding was different) but diverged in a big way with one set losing their baby and the other set not.

I had to go back and look at the credits again because Anna looked super familiar and I couldn’t place her (turned out to be Sarah Bolger, who I remember from Once Upon a Time).

• Love 3

The opening credits graphics are so much like Manhattan, and the opening music is like Fringe. 

Momentarily I thought the guy whose jugular Baldwin sliced was Dick Howard instead of a random red shirt.

Meek Howard seems to be growing a pair.

Is Dick Howard bisexual? Or is the Otherside Dude a brother or family friend? That was the warmest we've seen him (hugging Otherside Dude).

• Love 2

I still feel like I'm only watching this show because there's nothing else on at 8:00. I forgot all about it last weekend and caught up on On-Demand but overall I'm a bit bored with it. The premise is intriguing as hell, but the story-telling isn't. I thought maybe it would pick up when the two Howards switched places and we'd get to see more of their world, but the story they're telling about corruption and contract killings and espionage is just tedious and uninteresting. I want to know more about this strange alternate world and the pandemic and whether it was caused by the other world. And I want to know about what kind of experiment split the world in two. I don't care about this crap with Baldwin and all the players at these agencies moving their little chess pieces around. 

Yeah, sure, it's an acting tour de force for JK Simmons, but aside from learning more about this alternate world and its realities, I'm just not interested in what's going on.

• Love 3

I like where this show is going so far.

JK Simmons has drawn me into the these two characters - Howard and Prime. The connection between Howard and Emily Prime surprised me, though I'm not at all surprised she found him out as quickly as she did. 

I'm guessing The Other Side is plotting to invade our side to, among other things, get some of that sweet, sweet technology. At this point, I'm content to not know all of what's happening with that plot. That said, the Baldwin stuff still bores me. I just don't find her character all that interesting.

• Love 3

I like how meek Howard was supposed to be imprisoned after the switch but is finding more freedom than he seemed to have in his old life.  Meanwhile dick Howard is being trapped in meek Howard's life.  I also like how meek Howard seems to be developing a friendship with Emily.  Like some of you, the intrigue (ooh) is leaving me cold.  But I'm loving watching these two characters interacting with those around them and seeing how their lives are so different.

• Love 7
On 2/12/2018 at 2:17 AM, shapeshifter said:

and the opening music is like Fringe. 

The show I keep comparing this show to!

This is one of those shows where I have to lower my metabolic rate. That said, I am enjoying this show more with each episode. I like the subtle and not-so-subtle difference between Sides. 

Did the split cause the Pandemic a few decades after the fact, or was there some other varable?

Edited by marinw
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, iMonrey said:

I still feel like I'm only watching this show because there's nothing else on at 8:00. I forgot all about it last weekend and caught up on On-Demand but overall I'm a bit bored with it. The premise is intriguing as hell, but the story-telling isn't. I thought maybe it would pick up when the two Howards switched places and we'd get to see more of their world, but the story they're telling about corruption and contract killings and espionage is just tedious and uninteresting. I want to know more about this strange alternate world and the pandemic and whether it was caused by the other world. And I want to know about what kind of experiment split the world in two. I don't care about this crap with Baldwin and all the players at these agencies moving their little chess pieces around. 

Yeah, sure, it's an acting tour de force for JK Simmons, but aside from learning more about this alternate world and its realities, I'm just not interested in what's going on.

It is obvious the only reason they cast such a young actress is so they could have these types of "sexy" scenes.  Although, there are plenty of smoking  hot over 40 women that would have brought a lot more authenticity to the role.  The Howards are the show and the rest of it barely holds my attention.

13 hours ago, qtpye said:

It is obvious the only reason they cast such a young actress is so they could have these types of "sexy" scenes.  Although, there are plenty of smoking  hot over 40 women that would have brought a lot more authenticity to the role.  The Howards are the show and the rest of it barely holds my attention.

I just happened to notice that Shiri Appleby is turning 40. But I'm still assuming the character really is that young (29), and that it's part of the story.

I'm more concerned that the buzz has died down and that I will have to mourn the show's cancellation as I did that of Rubicon. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I just happened to notice that Shiri Appleby is turning 40. But I'm still assuming the character really is that young (29), and that it's part of the story.

I'm more concerned that the buzz has died down and that I will have to mourn the show's cancellation as I did that of Rubicon. 

It is kind of crazy that the show is not getting a little more West World type buzz, since the critics really love it.  I think the season got 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  Some writers did say the pacing is challenging, but worth it, so I am going to keep going, at least for the Howards.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Rubicon was fantastic.  (Albeit very slow paced.)

• Love 1

Oh man I loved Rubicon, I wanted it to go on and on and on. Yeah, it was slow, but the story was so strange and wonderful.  I tell you, I have no idea what is going on with Counterpart  I'm just watching it for Simmons like the rest of you. And, yes I was a big Fringe fan too, but this show honestly kinda sucks. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/11/2018 at 11:29 PM, kariyaki said:

I had to go back and look at the credits again because Anna looked super familiar and I couldn’t place her (turned out to be Sarah Bolger, who I remember from Once Upon a Time).

I remember her as Mary (Henry VIII oldest daughter), from the Showtime series The Tudors.

Edited by vixenbynight

I loved that final scene. I kind of like that Prime manipulated Alpha into switching with him but while he's cooped up in Alpha's life, Alpha is swanning around the Other Side. I imagine finding out that Prime lied about Emily would have made him wonder what else he lied about and he's intelligent enough to go and find out. 

Mind you, after typing that ridiculous sentence I realise I'm once again watching one of "these shows".

• Love 1