Type keyword(s) to search

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Wow. So Netflix decided to drop the newest Cloverfield on us without notice.

I really enjoyed it. Like the predecessors, the situation defined the movie while it was light on the details. But I thought the concept and acting was really strong. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Wow. So Netflix decided to drop the newest Cloverfield on us without notice.

I really enjoyed it. Like the predecessors, the situation defined the movie while it was light on the details. But I thought the concept and acting was really strong. 

Never saw the first two, but this one looks awesome. Will have to watch one and two first, though

13 minutes ago, topanga said:

Never saw the first two, but this one looks awesome. Will have to watch one and two first, though

It's a very loosely shared world concept and not serial, so you can pretty much watch them in any order. 

• Love 2

So I guess this movie explains where the creatures came from in the first two movies;  but I don't recall either movie mentioning an energy crisis (certainly not the first), so I'm assuming those took place in another parallel reality that got hosed because of the experiment in the movie's reality?

Still, enjoyable and a strong cast.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, jcin617 said:

So I guess this movie explains where the creatures came from in the first two movies;  but I don't recall either movie mentioning an energy crisis (certainly not the first), so I'm assuming those took place in another parallel reality that got hosed because of the experiment in the movie's reality?

Still, enjoyable and a strong cast.

My thoughts exactly. The first movie seemed to be relatively set in our world. The second movie could’ve possibly had an energy crisis but since we saw hardly anything of the outside world and when we did it was very remote and at night, there was no way to know what their world might’ve been like before the crisis. I agree that this movie appears to be what started the events shown in the previous movies.

I enjoyed the first installment. Didn’t like the second one, but enjoyed this one. 

I’m glad Ava went back to try and save her world because in truth who knows if her family was still alive in the alternate universe since that Earth had been in a world war for 14 months. Unfortunately she returned to a real sh*t storm on her earth. 

The monster at the end of this movie looked bigger than the one shown in the original Cloverfield. I wonder if this one was an  “adult.” I think the producers of the original said that perhaps the one in it was a baby.

Anyway, good movie.

Edited by Enero
Edited to correct how long war had been going on alternate Earth. Thanks timewimey!
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Enero said:

My thoughts exactly. The first movie seemed to be relatively set in our world. The second movie could’ve possibly had an energy crisis but since we saw hardly anything of the outside world and when we did it was very remote and at night, there was no way to know what their world might’ve been like before the crisis. I agree that this movie appears to be what started the events shown in the previous movies.

I enjoyed the first installment. Didn’t like the second one, but enjoyed this one. 

I’m glad Ava went back to try and save her world because in truth who knows if her family was still alive in the alternate universe since that Earth had been in a world war for 14-15 years. Unfortunately she returned to a real sh*t storm on her earth. 

The monster at the end of this movie looked bigger than the one shown in the original Cloverfield. I wonder if this one was an  “adult.” I think the producers of the original said that perhaps the one in it was a baby.

Anyway, good movie.

Actually, I think the other earth had been at war for 14 months, not years. 

The first Cloverfield movie, with its lack of any information about the aliens coupled with cinematography that made me ill, kept me from exploring 10 Cloverfield Lane. But I liked The Cloverfield Paradox enough that I've added the second one to my watchlist on Amazon.

• Love 1

Just watched this and thought it was pretty good, although I can see why it was released on Netflix rather than in a theater. I'd rank it third of the three.

12 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing too based on the brief interview scene with the Donal Logue's character.

Edited by WritinMan
Added stuff!
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed this movie. Well made, entertaining and suspensefull.

Did anyone else pick up on the crew photo where hergel lady wasn't in it at first but was in there after the accident? Nice touch. Took the crew a bit long to figure out what was going on, especially since that seemed to have been a theory of what could happen.

The only thing I thought was really stupid was the arm. Everything else was at least somewhat believeable. Even if that arm is independent from the dude, how would it know where to look for the gyro. At first I thought the guy from the other universe was controlling it, but that station was destroyed. Then I thought, well maybe it's time distortion and the same guy from the future is telling his arm what to write, but it never came up again. I get the feeling that was explained in a previous version of the script or maybe even in a scene that was filmed but ended up on the cuttingroom floor. Either way, it took me out of the movie for a while.

Now on to my nitpicks:

- How would you get energy from a particle accellerator? Makes no sense.

- Even if we do accept that, why would we need energy from a partical accelerator, in space no less? For a fraction of that money we could build a few Tokamaks and bang out fusion in a few years. Certainly much faster than that weird particle accelerator power thing gets done. There is enough fuel for those on earth to last till the sun becomes a red giant.

- Couldn't they have gotten something better than google translate for the german text? I mean it wasn't horrible, but this was supposed to have been written by a german and there were so many glaring english to german translation errors in there...

- If you depreassurise a room with water, the water boils, it doesn't freeze. And yes, space is cold, but there is no medium to transport energy, so the water would have stayed it's original temperature for a while.

- The motivation for hair gel lady wasn't sufficient. The data would have been just as valuable as the sheppard itself to her. It's not like that thing can actually power earth. It would have to be rebuilt on earth as well. I guess there wasn't a final test that showed that it worked, but she had the data to build the final product and every indication that it would work.

10 hours ago, timeywimey said:

Actually, I think the other earth had been at war for 14 months, not years. 

Yep, it was months, not years.

Edited by Miles
On 2/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, WritinMan said:

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing too based on the brief interview scene with the Donal Logue's character.

I read online and am too lazy to try to find it now that DL's character is the brother of the John Goodman character from the second one and that the woman interviewing Logue's character is the same person who tries to get in the bunker in the second movie.

This one was decent though I liked the first two better with Cloverfield as my fave (I love monsters).  The performances were good and I was just as interested in what was happening on Earth as  in space. 

Of course you couldn't trust Jensen (could she have made any more shady glances LOL) and I did notice her flickering in the crew picture. 

Though it made no sense I enjoyed the whole bit with the arm, esp at the end when we see it still under the glass, tapping its fingers and waiting, hee.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, raven said:

This one was decent though I liked the first two better with Cloverfield as my fave (I love monsters).  The performances were good and I was just as interested in what was happening on Earth as  in space. 

Of course you couldn't trust Jensen (could she have made any more shady glances LOL) and I did notice her flickering in the crew picture. 

Though it made no sense I enjoyed the whole bit with the arm, esp at the end when we see it still under the glass, tapping its fingers and waiting, hee.

I mostly liked the movie. I agree that performances were good, and the sets and cinematography were sophisticated--in other words, nothing looked too cheap or fake. I do like psychological thrillers, and I especially enjoy space movies that incorporate theoretical physics and  "realistic" portrayals of time travel. I didn't watch the first two installments, but I was able to follow the story. 

The movie did leave me with lingering questions, however: 

• The "glitch" with Jenson and the Space station were caused by the particle accelerator and two parallel worlds colliding, correct? That, I get. But then we got a few supernatural things going on. Why was the Russian astronaut infected with worms, who was he talking to in the mirror, and why did the metal wall eat the other astronaut's arm? 

• Where the hell did that monster come from? I could understand if it was a dinosaur, but it was a creature never before seen in history. Was it some kind of alien? If so, is the movie saying that the particle accelerator somehow brought an alien monster to earth? That seems so random, since none of the movie had been about aliens. 

• And my big question: so what was the point? The ending of the movie was bleak as shit.  Hamilton and the German astronaut fought to stay alive and make it back to an earth that's now devastated by war and a scary-looking giant monster. Or was their pod eaten by the monster? I couldn't tell. In any event, did the particle accelerator even provide the renewable energy they hoped it would? And even if it did, it wouldn't matter, since that monster is going to eat or destroy the entire planet. 

The only potentially positive moment was Hamilton transmitting the message and the plans to the other Ava. But did Ava get the message? And does she believe it? And are they able to successfully build the particle accelerator? And if so, will it actually end war and starvation on the earth? 

Too many unknowns. I was left feeling very unsatisfied by the depressing ending. 

• Love 1