Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E15: He pūkoʻa kani ʻāina (A Coral Reef Strengthens Out into Land)

• Start Topic

McGarrett and Danny investigate the murder of a private detective whose client was killed the same way, and Adam sends Jessie (Christine Ko) into a dangerous situation with disastrous consequences.  Also, Danny's uncle, Vito (Vincent Pastore), comes to town to help Danny and McGarrett get their restaurant up and running.

Original Airdate: February 2, 2018

SOURCE: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=49361

I liked the uncle character related to the restaurant.  Thinking they wanted him to commit arson in order to make money from the restaurant-made me laugh (and no, I don't support arson in any way, shape or form...).  Of course, I fell asleep halfway through the episode, so maybe the character would have started grating on my nerves, but I felt he brought some humor with him.

8 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

I'm seeing kidnapped Adam on my screen.

Must be Friday. 

Though I do miss Kono being tied up next to him.

LOL. I didn’t think of that!

Honestly I could care less abt this storyline.

I liked Uncle Vito (?) figuring out Kamekona knows everything that goes on in Hawaii - legal or not, and that the girl gave everything back was a nice twist.  But still...who didn’t see the robbery coming from way over in Jersey- other than Vito?

The COTW was pretty good and I’m glad the in-laws seem to have made up.

Edited by roamyn
44 minutes ago, ganesh said:

So Adam is allowed to illegally wiretap now? Sure, why not?

Yes, of course he is because he's friends with 5-0 and that alone gives him a free pass.  They have even  given him his own assignment and allowed him to put together his own small task force, because this is so plausible.

5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I liked the uncle character related to the restaurant.  Thinking they wanted him to commit arson in order to make money from the restaurant-made me laugh (and no, I don't support arson in any way, shape or form...). 

That part really made me laugh.  He's hitting the wall with a hammer like he's really going to fix something and then starts talking about committing arson to two officers of law enforcement like it's no big deal and he does this or a normal basis.  He did add the It was funny to see Steve totally nervous and freaked out for a change.

So now we get to see a show within a show. Hawaii five-0 and the Adam Oh-0 show.

And Big Pussy Bonpensiero as Uncle Vito. The restaurant BS is just that, total BS.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, ally said:

Yes, of course he is because he's friends with 5-0 and that alone gives him a free pass.

I was actually hoping that the guru would stick to his guns about the lawyer. Because they did search the compound without a warrant. When they were saying "we have three confessions here", I was hoping he'd either say they were lying or obtained under duress (which they do all the time) and just ride it out. 

Everybody gets a free pass on Five 0. No matter what. And really think that Steve is to blame over on violating civil rights and denying people counsel. Really do not know how and why Danny or Lou do not go to the Governor as the Governor would fire him on the spot.

COTW was OK as well as really Adam nearly put that Jessica in danger but she asked for it

Vito hope he comes on back. Really the woman giving him and Kamoenka back the money great and nice twist. She did have a conscience.

41 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Really do not know how and why Danny or Lou do not go to the Governor as the Governor would fire him on the spot.

You mean the same Lou that went out of his current jurisdiction to hold someone hostage in their house?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

You mean the same Lou that went out of his current jurisdiction to hold someone hostage in their house?

Yeah even though Lou did something that dumb. Still Steve is a lot more worse. Lou is suppose to be trained as a cop. Steve really is a SEAL. Not a cop trained you know.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think Danny & Lou learned these bad habits from Steve. S1, Danny was all over Steve abt his violations of rights.  Danny did it to the Bronson Pichot character, and learned it was “fun”, while Steve sat there grinning like a loon.

12 hours ago, ally said:

Yes, of course he is because he's friends with 5-0 and that alone gives him a free pass.  They have even  given him his own assignment and allowed him to put together his own small task force, because this is so plausible.

That part really made me laugh.  He's hitting the wall with a hammer like he's really going to fix something and then starts talking about committing arson to two officers of law enforcement like it's no big deal and he does this or a normal basis.  He did add the It was funny to see Steve totally nervous and freaked out for a change.

With all due respect, if you want plausibility in the plot perhaps you should watch a different show. Considering the team was given/has had immunity & means since it was formed by the late Governor Jameson, I figured things wouldn't always, if ever, be strictly by the book--no matter how much Danny, at least initially, tried to get Steve to behave that way. I enjoy the show for what it actually is; I don't care that it's implausible most of the time. I go along for the ride regardless, & watch because I like it; not so I can snark it after. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Everybody gets a free pass on Five 0. No matter what. And really think that Steve is to blame over on violating civil rights and denying people counsel. Really do not know how and why Danny or Lou do not go to the Governor as the Governor would fire him on the spot.

COTW was OK as well as really Adam nearly put that Jessica in danger but she asked for it

Vito hope he comes on back. Really the woman giving him and Kamoenka back the money great and nice twist. She did have a conscience.

Danny "drank the Kool-Aid" & gave up on trying to get Steve to play by his (Danny's) book (how cops should behave professionally), long ago.

As for Lou, back in the 4th season (his first) he initially called McGarrett &/or Five-0 "Steve McGarrett and his merry band of 'do whatever the hell you want'"; this was when Lou was HPD SWAT Commander. He also went to then-Governor Denning to complain about the tactics Steve & Five-0 employed; Governor Denning's response was to send Steve & Lou, together, to somewhere on the island & have them serve a subpoena on/arrest somebody for unpaid parking tickets.

That person was computer hacker Ian Wright (Joe Jonas' character); from the time they got to Ian's, he was more trouble than he was worth. He got them into a shootout with people he apparently helped commit a bank robbery. Then he threatened an airline flight full of people with disaster if Steve & Lou didn't let him go to Tahiti, or somewhere. He did slip away from Steve & Lou & came back during the S4 finale to terrorize the team--Lou, in particular--again.

Lou got fired by Governor Denning, while he was still with HPD SWAT, for what he did when Ian returned & threatened his family. Five-0 then took him on their team (for 1 thing, he & Steve had a better relationship since their first encounter with Ian Wright). Then we found out Lou had some of his own demons--the death of that baby & his father, which Lou couldn't stop, during a domestic disturbance; &, later, the belief that his best friend/longtime partner at the Chicago PD killed his wife (she allegedly fell off a cliff, or something) during a 20th anniversary trip to/visit with the Grovers in Hawaii; that was also complicated by the fact that he also thought his ex-partner took some money that was meant as evidence during a drug bust in Chicago (Lou eventually found some/all of the money hidden in the front tire area of a "beater" car his friend oddly kept in his garage during the rough Chicago winters while keeping the shiny new car he bought as a replacement outside & exposed to the elements). Lou was never able to prove the guy killed his wife, but he was able to at least get him sent to prison for taking the drug bust evidence money, which was at least something. 

Lou didn't really have to "drink the (McGarrett/Five-0) Kool-Aid"; it turned out he had his own brand of crazy, which helped him fit in at Five-0. There's no way he's going to the Governor about Steve/the team now; besides, as I pointed out before, complaining about Steve/his tactics to the Governor before just ended up with something he didn't like or want: Lou being forced to work with Steve when he couldn't stand him.

• Love 1

Lou was never able to prove the guy killed his wife, but he was able to at least get him sent to prison for taking the drug bust evidence money, which was at least something. 

Yes, he did.

Last season he went to visit a death row convict in FL.  Turns out Lou’s ex partner paid this guy to kill Lou.  He got caught & convicted for another murder b4 he could complete the job.  While there, the convict directed Lou to some cassette tapes he buried in a swamp, where the ex-partner confessed he pushed his late wife off that cliff.  Lou sat on the banks of the swamp crying (of course). 

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yes, he did.

Last season he went to visit a death row convict in FL.  Turns out Lou’s ex partner paid this guy to kill Lou.  He got caught & convicted for another murder b4 he could complete the job.  While there, the convict directed Lou to some cassette tapes he buried in a swamp, where the ex-partner confessed he pushed his late wife off that cliff.  Lou sat on the banks of the swamp crying (of course). 

Thanks. I forgot about the Florida guy. 

• Love 1

That is the point. As Steve at times loves to be a bully and a holier than thou glory hog. As really Lou and Danny are "tamer" as they have children and need to set a good example for them. Yes they get away with it. But still it is a TV show. As Steve does not have children. And can do whatever he pleases. Regardless of consequences. BTW there is a new Governor not Denning. But still she said last season not to mess with Steve and his team. And learned from Denning. But at times, Steve needs to be taken down a peg. 

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

With all due respect, if you want plausibility in the plot perhaps you should watch a different show. Considering the team was given/has had immunity & means since it was formed by the late Governor Jameson, I figured things wouldn't always, if ever, be strictly by the book--no matter how much Danny, at least initially, tried to get Steve to behave that way. I enjoy the show for what it actually is; I don't care that it's implausible most of the time. I go along for the ride regardless, & watch because I like it; not so I can snark it after. 

LOL.  Please, never take me seriously when I write some of this stuff.  I meant it sarcastically and not seriously.  I suppose I should have mentioned that in my post.  I do love the show and I realize some people do get annoyed by the way it is written.  When I post something it is never to offend anyone.  It's just an expression or opinion.  This show is written for a little Friday night fun after a long week's work.  The same goes for McGyver, although I don't watch it.  If you really want something bordering on a more serious procedural that would be more like Blue Bloods, SWAT, SEAL Team, or Criminal Minds just to name a few.  Peter Lenkov writes these shows with a little tongue in cheek fun and you can see this in some of his tweets, posts, and interviews.  A lot of viewers do get upset for some reason because it borderlines on ridiculousness, but that's the way it's supposed to be and has always been written.  He has at least a couple of episodes that deal with serious subjects  every year.  I've noticed for the majority of viewers  they like it and always give those episodes praise, but  they prefer the lighter shows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

Steve needs to be taken down a peg. 

I would like to see some consequences at least once. And not, bad guy gets away with it. Some regular person who is innocent but maybe knows the bad guy and gets taken in for questioning and gets the typical bullying and doesn't take it sitting down. Just something where they end up with egg on their face, or something. 

• Love 2

IIRC, Kono is the only one who's ever really had to pay any consequences for the way Five-0 does their work? But not really, bc she was undercover with the Delanos or something like that? She was only faux-fired and pending prosecution.

I don't necessarily need Steve or Five-0 to get dressed down by the Governor, like they've been sent to the principal's office. I think it would be good for one of their cases to go belly up, though, because of the civil rights violations and now the criminal (who definitely is guilty) is out on the streets again. I'd like to see them confronted by the victim's loved ones and feel the reality of what it means when they conduct investigations and arrests the way they do. And every crime that criminal perpetrates since they've been released from jail is now on Five-0. This is probably way too serious for the show's flippant style, but in reality, a ton of people they've arrested would be released.

Does anyone know if double jeopardy applies if you're tried for a crime, found guilty, sent to prison, but then later released because law enforcement violated your civil rights?  Can you be retried again for those charges, or do you get a clean slate for those charges, and any future prosecution has to be for different crimes?

Also ... I love Adam a lot. But he's fucking terrible at this job. He's not qualified to be running this side task force by himself. At least I'm 99.99% sure the show will never go there in depicting chemistry and temptation between Adam and Jessie.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

Does anyone know if double jeopardy applies if you're tried for a crime, found guilty, sent to prison, but then later released because law enforcement violated your civil rights?

No, they can't be re-tried. It's the same the other way. OJ got off, but they can't retry him with a different legal team using different witnesses, etc. But you can nail them in civil court. So, like the victim's family would sue in civil court for damages. 

I don't want the Governor to dress them down. I want outside pressure on the governor because of Five 0. 

59 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

IIRC, Kono is the only one who's ever really had to pay any consequences for the way Five-0 does their work? But not really, bc she was undercover with the Delanos or something like that? She was only faux-fired and pending prosecution.

I don't necessarily need Steve or Five-0 to get dressed down by the Governor, like they've been sent to the principal's office. I think it would be good for one of their cases to go belly up, though, because of the civil rights violations and now the criminal (who definitely is guilty) is out on the streets again. I'd like to see them confronted by the victim's loved ones and feel the reality of what it means when they conduct investigations and arrests the way they do. And every crime that criminal perpetrates since they've been released from jail is now on Five-0. This is probably way too serious for the show's flippant style, but in reality, a ton of people they've arrested would be released.

Does anyone know if double jeopardy applies if you're tried for a crime, found guilty, sent to prison, but then later released because law enforcement violated your civil rights?  Can you be retried again for those charges, or do you get a clean slate for those charges, and any future prosecution has to be for different crimes?

Also ... I love Adam a lot. But he's fucking terrible at this job. He's not qualified to be running this side task force by himself. At least I'm 99.99% sure the show will never go there in depicting chemistry and temptation between Adam and Jessie.

Danny was extradited to a Colombian prison, by a corrupt CIA or FBI agent (some kind of Fed, anyway) for killing Marco Reyes; Marco was a Colombian "big bad" who Danny's brother, Matt, was laundering money, & maybe engaging in other illegal acts, for. And Reyes killed Matt after Matt went on the run, following a visit with Danny, Gracie, & Rachel, & after meeting Steve, instead of owning up to what he did (he was also a hedge fund manager who embezzled from his clients' funds) & taking his punishment like a man.

Reyes killed Matt because Matt stole money from him & hid it on the island during his visit; he attempted to get the money back from Danny before Danny really knew about it. I think Reyes called it "ransom" for Matt's safe return--even though it's pretty likely Matt had been dead for a long time before Reyes ever crossed paths with Danny & Five-0. And he wasn't above threatening the rest of Danny's family (Charlie wasn't being recognized as Danny's child yet) &/or Five-0 to get what he wanted.

The corrupt agent who went after Danny may have had a connection with Doris. Once Steve got in to see Danny, before the extradition, he kept telling anyone who'd listen that he was just as complicit in Reyes' death, but nobody took steps to arrest Steve; they only wanted Danny. Apparently Steve wasn't arrested thanks to an intervention by his mother, Doris. I don't think Doris gets along with Danny, so she let Danny get arrested for it, no problem.

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think Reyes called it "ransom" for Matt's safe return--even though it's pretty likely Matt had been dead for a long time before Reyes ever crossed paths with Danny & Five-0.

The next episode Danny appeared in, Steve mentioned that the coroner said Matt had already been dead like five or six months.

(edited)

Poor Jesse; she really should have researched the history of women who get involved, in any way, with any member of 5-0.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:09 AM, roamyn said:

That always struck me as a retcon.  Lou went to Chicago, tortured his former friend, and threatened an innocent civilian.  And there was still no proof of the murder -- all Lou had was a "feeling", and maybe some flimsy circumstantial evidence.  The writers probably felt they needed to close it off, so they came up with these bull*** tapes.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

Because Five 0 always needs to be proved right. If the writers had a spine they'd have that come back to bite him. But no, because when a cop on TV had a feeling he's right. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Because Five 0 always needs to be proved right. If the writers had a spine they'd have that come back to bite him. But no, because when a cop on TV had a feeling he's right

It would be good just for once to see 5-0 do something and have to take the heat for it or for once be in the wrong about something.  I understand the show is not written for complete realism, but it would for once change the show up a little.  They do everything right and I'm sure they would redeem themselves, but it would be something different instead 5-0 being right all the time.

• Love 2