Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Heroines

A tribute to the first woman to fight in the Revolutionary War and receive a pension; a museum curator who saved art from the Nazis; Civil War hero Clara Barton.

Retellers: Paget Brewster on Debra Sampson; Tiffany Haddish on Rose Valland;  Amber Ruffin on Clara Barton

Starring: Evan Rachel Wood as Debra Sampson; Busy Phillips as Rose Valland; Mandy Moore as Clara Barton; Alexander Skarsgard, and Jack McBrayer as Abraham Lincoln.

Paget Brewster is the best narrator on this show. She doesn't get overly drunk where she's sloppy. She talks a lot well, even though she's definitely drunk, and she antagonizes Derek. She always really ticked when he interrupts. I love that so much. 

I thought Tiffany was really good too because she talked a ton too. The punchline about hanging out with Tupac was hilarious. 

I think the last narrator was uneven, but had decent moments. 

I do love how the show always has the one woman dressed up as a man in the narration. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't recognize Alexander Skarsgard.

Me either! I need to go back and rewatch it!

I think Busy Phillips was the best reenactor.  She had the lip syncing and reactions down cold!  I adore Amber on Seth Meyers' show but here I thought she was just okay.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2018 at 4:08 PM, peeayebee said:

I thought all three narrators did a great job, esp Paget. She's the best. However, I wanted to Derek to shut up. His "jokes" weren't even to the level of dad jokes.

I didn't recognize Alexander Skarsgard.

My love for Paget Brewster knows no bounds at this point and she is so great on this show.  I love the sound effects and descriptive way she narrated how Deborah Samson removed the musket ball from her own leg. 

Mandy Moore rocked in the scene where Clara Barton brought the supply wagon.  I particularly love this exchange:   "I need antiseptic."  "I got that shit".  "Do you have bandages?"  "Yeah bitch, we got bandages."  "What about normal shit like socks and food?"  "You know what,? Abracadabra...bitch!"  

I just noticed that they have this exact exchange posted on Comedy Central.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 3

Watching this season out of order, and this episode cracked me up. Paget is fantastic, she does a great job narrating. I loved her face when she asked Derek if he had a beh-bay! She's in that weird fake fur jacket thing, and getting all yelly.

"Oh fuck, I'm gonna cry - I don't wanna to cry" "Let it out, you can cry" "WHAT THE FUCK! I'M TALKING TO AMERICA!" Evan Rachel Wood doing that exchange was hilarious in particular, but I loved her doing all of it.

Tiffany Haddish was great, I would love to hear her tell more stories! I loved the guy playing the first SS Officer we see, when his hat falls forward on his face "Dis our SPOT! Dis where we gon BE at!". Busy Philipps was great with her expressions.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, cynicat said:

Mandy Moore rocked in the scene where Clara Barton brought the supply wagon.  I particularly love this exchange:   "I need antiseptic."  "I got that shit".  "Do you have bandages?"  "Yeah bitch, we got bandages."  "What about normal shit like socks and food?"  "You know what,? Abracadabra...bitch!"  

I also loved the bit at the end when she's all "You think I brought your ass socks but not fucking lanterns to light your surgery?"

A great episode to start the season!

• Love 2

Ok, I'm super late to the party but just realized this was back on. Busy Phillips is a national goddamn treasure, and that soft gray onesie thingie Amber Ruffins was wearing looked like the single most comfortable piece of clothing ever.

I know this show is hilarious but I learn so much about history!

• Love 1