Type keyword(s) to search

Before the Thunder: Spoilers and Speculation

Trini
  • Start Topic

Character descriptions from the casting announcements:

McCain plays Jefferson’s younger daughter, the teenage Jennifer Pierce, an independent, outspoken scholar-athlete with a wild streak of her own. Williams is Anissa Pierce — passionate and quick-witted, Jefferson’s twenty-something daughter balances the demands of medical school with her job teaching part-time at her father’s school.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/black-lightning-daughters-cast-nafessa-williams-china-anne-mcclain-cw-pilot-1202034638/

Adams will play Lynn, Jefferson’s ex-wife who exudes confidence and intelligence. Although she’s got a mischievous side, she’s not one to be trifled with when it comes to family.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/black-lightning-christine-adams-cast-jeffersons-ex-wife-lynn-the-cw-pilot-1202041455/

Simpson will play Kiesha, the partner-in-crime/best friend of Jennifer Pierce, who also attends Garfield High School. The daughter of Inspector Henderson, Kiesha will encourage Jennifer to challenge her image as the perfect principal’s daughter.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/black-lightning-kyanna-simone-simpson-recur-cw-series-1202176356/

Former Dexter star James Remar and Criminal Minds alum Damon Gupton have signed on as series regulars ....

Remar will play Peter Gambi, the oldest friend of Jefferson Pierce and Jefferson’s father figure, mentor and “tailor”. His history with Jefferson goes back farther and deeper than anyone knows, and Gambi’s role in Jefferson’s life will become a painful window into the past that will affect the future of their relationship forever.

Gupton is Inspector Henderson, a veteran officer of the law who is now the highest-ranking detective on the force. His role in the community puts him at odds with Black Lightning, but they soon become unlikely allies.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/black-lightning-casts-james-remar-damon-gupton-series-regulars-comic-con-1202133950/

Marvin “Krondon” Jones III has been set as a series regular and will play the villainous Tobias Whale ....

... Tobias Whale — one of the titular hero’s biggest adversaries. He is an African-American man with albinism who is the leader of Freeland’s most feared gang — The 100. But in the days before Black Lightning, Tobias was a politician, rising up the ranks of local government through corrupt and illegal means. That was until he was brought down by Alvin Pierce, Jefferson’s father. Enraged, Tobias murdered Alvin and was driven underground into exile. It’s here he found a place to rebuild, growing into the violent and methodical leader of The 100 as we find him today.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/marvin-krondon-jones-iii-black-lightning-tobias-whale-warner-brothers-tv-sam-akil-mara-brock-akil-the-cw-1202146162/

Findley will play Tori, the beautiful and cunning younger sister to Tobias Whale. Tori’s charming nature is just a facade as she can be just as deadly as Tobias, an exciting threat to the people of Freeland.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/black-lightning-edwina-findley-recur-the-cw-series-1202187033/

Grammy-winning singer and actress Jill Scott has been cast as DC villain Lady Eve... .

Scott’s Lady Eve can be traced back to the Kobra Cult in comic lore. In Black Lightning, Lady Eve will be the bridge between Tobias Whale and a secret group of corrupt leaders. Always a consummate professional, Lady Eve presents herself in Freeland as the owner of a funeral parlor, but quickly becomes an adversary to Black Lightning.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/black-lightning-jill-scott-cast-lady-eve-cw-series-1202182537/

“Black Lightning” has cast Chantal Thuy in a recurring role for the show’s first season.

Thuy ... will play Grace Choi, a bartender who becomes the love interest of Anissa Pierce. Grace is a comic book fan who befriends Anissa while she is coming to terms with her abilities and becomes Anissa’s first confidant about the struggles and challenges of having abilities.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/black-lightning-chantal-thuy-dc-comics-grace-choi-exclusive-1202602693/

Episode 2:

"Lawanda: The Book of Hope"

IS HE BACK? - As the community struggles with the violence surrounding them, a glimmer of hope appears: Is Black Lightning back? Lynn Stewart (Christine Adams), noticing the changes in the community, is also left wondering. While Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) struggles with his decision, Gambi (James Remar) urges him to take up the mantle once more and return to life as Black Lightning. Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) try to deal with the aftermath of their jolting experience. Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star.

The episode was written by Salim Akil and directed by Oz Scott

(#102). Original airdate 1/23/2018

- (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLSV) (HDTV)

Episode 3 and 4 descriptions:

"Lawanda: The Book of Burial" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

HOLDING OUT HOPE - As Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning (Cress Williams), Anissa (Nafessa Williams) starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn (Christine Adams) try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) reveals to her parents that she has been grappling with something big. James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star.

The episode was written by Jan Nash and directed by Mark Tonderai (#103). Original airdate 1/30/2018.

"Black Jesus" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

BACK IN TOWN - Black Lightning (Cress Williams) is recruited to rally against The 100 gang. Anissa (Nafessa Williams) investigates the new drug hitting the streets. Meanwhile, familiar faces begin to reappear. Christine Adams, James Remar, Damon Gupton III and Marvin Jones also star.

The episode was written by Pat Charles and directed by Michael Schultz (#104). Original airdate 2/6/2018.

EW Spoiler Room:

While Jefferson Pierce is now dealing with an influx of violence in Freeland, he’ll soon have to contend with a new drug that hits the streets. “We’re introducing a new drug into the community called Green Light in later episodes,” EP Salim Akil says. “It will be the crux of the season in terms of how drugs enter a community, how a community is exploited, and Black Lightning sort of working himself up the food chain of discovering where it comes from and who put it there.”

Matt's inside Line::

Though the release of a first look at Thunder, coupled with new Episode 3 stills, would suggest that eldest daughter Anissa is on the verge of fighting herself some crime, the show bosses won’t pin down a timeframe. “You’ve got to watch,” hedges EP Mara Brock Akil. “But it does happen this season.” In the meantime, Nafessa Williams says, “You’ll see in the first episodes [Anissa’s] struggle, with her powers and not being able to tell anybody. How do I keep this a secret? Are people going to think I’m crazy?” (Episode 2, in particular, finds her trying to properly explain the shattered sink to her girlfriend Chenoa, played by Shein Mompremier.) “She’s unsure as to what is even happening, she doesn’t even know how to articulate it with anyone.”

Teases for the next few episodes / quotes from the cast and producers from TV Line: (more at the link)

At the close of the pilot and  coming up during pillow talk with girlfriend Chenoa (played by Shein Mompremier), Anissa will struggle to make sense of the bathroom sink she just shattered. Further stalling any inclination to share her concern with others, says portrayer Nafessa Williams, is “just hands down already knowing that my parents are gonna freak out!” After all, given what we know about how Jeff’s own costumed derring-do killed his marriage, “You can only imagine how my mother is going to handle this ‘coming out’ of powers and realizing that it’s in the family.”

In the first episode alone, we saw [Black Lightning] cause blackouts as well as power surges, deliver electrifying punches and kicks, and wield current almost like a giant claw. But wait, there’s ever more! “Keep your eyes on Episode 5!” teases Akil.

Episode 5 description:

"Aches and Pains" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

PAYBACK IS A BITCH - An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson (Cress Williams) to investigate the murder of his father. Meanwhile, Annisa (Nafessa Williams) wrestles with the fact that her actions have dire consequences. Lastly, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) learns the importance of controlling her temper - in all situations. Christine Adams, James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star.

The episode was written by Adam Giaudrone and directed by Rose Troche
(#105). Original airdate 2/13/2018.

re: Supergirl name check.

My speculation is that the writers mentioned her totally on purpose, with deeper intentions I mean. The name check was really clever because it was near the thing with the Outsiders comic book. The thing is although that was a real comic book, inside which there is a real Grace Choi who is fictional, and in fact... a fictional Black Lightning too... AND eventually Thunder as well, if I recall correctly, we don't know if the thing with that title and that cover on this Earth has the same contents. Or maybe it's inspired by the "real" Black Lightning in part, and other "real" superheroes in that world.  

But I think the mindbending we have to do to account for the comic book was there to throw us off the scent with Supergirl. The context she was brought up in made her SOUND fictional too, because the most obvious conclusion was that the comic book was, even if there are ways to speculate it not being so. So her being mentioned implied that, and yet it also works, if you come around to it, for her to be real as well in that world, because nobody's saying fictional and non-fictional superheroes can't co-exist as a "thing" in a world. 

It also makes you wonder about Batman. Why do I mention Batman? Because of the Catwoman costume we saw worn. If Supergirl could be real there, and the party had a mix of both comic book inspired attendees AND real world ones, and we see a Catwoman costume then what does that possibly imply about the whole Bat family? That it could be either there. Although, again, if The Batman inspired Outsiders comic book is fictional, then it all depends on the actual story inside... which may or may not be a Batman-linked story in that world.

I think the show is simply (deliberately) leaving doors open.

As an endgame WAY down the line by the way, I bet this is the same Earth as Supergirl, as well as the DC-TV Superman, and Batman also exists in this world as well (but we may never get to see him directly), although clearly Flash and Green Arrow and their bunch don't have hero alternates on that Earth, as we know.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm hoping that Jennifer maybe learns some martial arts to team with her dad and big sister.  Perhaps from this guy:

Well, not that specific guy, but Taimek is still around and a working actor.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2018 at 12:50 PM, Kromm said:

I think the show is simply (deliberately) leaving doors open.

As an endgame WAY down the line by the way, I bet this is the same Earth as Supergirl, as well as the DC-TV Superman, and Batman also exists in this world as well (but we may never get to see him directly), although clearly Flash and Green Arrow and their bunch don't have hero alternates on that Earth, as we know.

I agree that the show is leaving the door open, but I seriously doubt it’s the same Earth as Supergirl. Supergirl’s Earth is overrun with alien refugees. I find it hard to believe that they’ve all avoided Freeland. If they reveal that aliens do live in Freeland, I’ll eat my hat.

I hope it turns out that on Black Lightning’s Earth the other DC superheroes are just characters in a comic book. Then when the inevitable crossover happens there can be some comedic interactions as the Flash, Arrow and Supergirl have to prove that they’re real people.

This one sounds really interesting!

"Three Sevens: The Book of Thunder" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

TO RIGHT THE WRONGS - Jefferson (Cress Williams) is on the hunt for his father's killer, while Anissa (Nafessa Williams) uses her new powers to rectify a wrong after a protest fails. Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grapples with some difficult choices. Elsewhere, Gambi (James Remar) begs for help from Lynn (Christine Adams). Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star.

The episode was written by Charles Holland and directed by Benny Boom

(#106). Original airdate 2/27/2018.

Full description for 4.07:

"Equinox: The Book of Fate" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

THE NEW NORMAL - Black Lightning's (Cress Williams) pursuit for Tobias (Marvin Jones III) continues. Anissa (Nafessa Williams) continues to find herself in the new normal. China Anne McClain, Christine Adams, Damon Gupton and James Remar also star.

The episode was written by Lamont Magee and directed Billy Woodruff

(#107). Original airdate 3/6/2018.

Hmmm... very vague. They're really trying not to spoil anything.

3.08 description:

"Revelations" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

TRAINING DAY - Black Lightning (Cress Williams) works with Anissa (Nafessa Willaims) to help find information to clear Black Lightning's name. Jennifer (China Anne McClain) begins interning for Lynn (Christine Adams). Meanwhile, Gambi (James Remar) finds himself in a precarious situation. Marvin Jones III and Damon Gupton also star.

The episode was written by Jan Nash and directed by Tanya Hamilton (#108). Original airdate 3/13/2018.

I wonder if the title will change? They've had "Book of..." for most of the episodes.

So it looks like something does happen in 3.07(3.06?) where Tobias is able to turn the city against Black Lightning. Looking forward to Lynn and Jennifer together!

Episode 9 description:

"Little Black Lies" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

FAMILY ABOVE ALL - In the aftermath of the latest killing, Black Lightning (Cress Williams) works to clear his name while also hunting down the person responsible for his father's death, and anyone else involved. Tensions remain high between Black Lightning and Gambi (James Remar).

The episode was written by Keli Goff and directed by Tawnia McKernan

(#409). Original airdate 3/20/2018.

They've wrapped filming for the season, and Nafessa posted a video of her in her Thunder costume. You can see the battery pack for the lights(?) on the back, and now I gotta go look for the battery on the Black Lightning costume....

• Love 1

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/spoiler-room-blindspot-murder-once-upon-time/

Once Jennifer’s powers manifest, she will go on a very different journey than her sister did. “It’ll be different because she comes at it from a different perspective,” Cress Williams says. “Even if you separate powers, you see that there’s a difference in personality types and what’s important to them between Anissa and Jennifer. Once powers are introduced, they also subsequently take different roads and have different reactions to it.”

• Love 2

We're halfway through this short first season already, when would they show Jennifer's powers manifesting? Unless they are saving it for the very end, they'd need at least an episode (or two?) to have reactions.

Episode 10 description:

"Sins of the Father: The Book of Redemption"

SECRETS AND LIES – Black Lightning (Cress Williams) attempts to rescue several long-missing children reveals a secret he did not anticipate, and its resulting connections. Gambi (James Remar) struggles to stay strong while in a compromising position. Jefferson begins to view things differently. Nafessa Williams, China Anne McClain, Christine Adams, Marvin Jones III and Damon Gupton also star.

The episode was written by Pat Charles and directed by Eric Laneuville
(#110). Original airdate 3/27/2018.

I get the feeling that Jennifer is not going to be super-happy about getting powers.  She's probably going to look at it more from the "I'm a freak!" angle and want to get rid of them.

I had the opportunity to see episode 10 at Wondercon this afternoon, and it's a really good one. Pretty dense with the plot, and a twist that I'll be interested to hear others' reactions to. There was a panel discussion with the show's producer Salim Akil and several of the writers. There are definitely no plans to crossover with any of the Arrowverse shows at this time, which I'm actually okay with.

• Love 1

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/07/exclusive-new-black-lightning-characters-season-2/

2 New Characters

As the second season is underway with filming, we at That Hashtag Show have some new exciting characters to tell you about as they will be recurring throughout the second year. First up we have “Perenna”, an open ethnicity role who is somewhere between her 40s-50s. “Perenna” is a therapist who is a metahuman with telepathic powers. Her story revolves heavily around Jennifer Pierce as she will be trying to help the young Pierce daughter to understand her powers better, both physically and emotionally. “Perenna” doesn’t let any feelings or situations scare her off, so expect her to be a power player.

Next up we have “Zlovac”, a Caucasian man in his 30s who will be teaming up with the big bad Tobias Whale. Working as a real estate developer, “Zlovac” isn’t afraid to get violent when it comes to payback. “Zlovac” was born somewhere in Eastern Europe and has a lot of experiences in his toolbox as a money launderer as well as being slick within business

Character descriptions for other characters already announced

Starting with “Major Lowry”, which is for a male of any ethnicity between the age of 35-50. He is a big deal for one simple reason which is that he is the new principal of Garfield High School! This smart and brave individual isn’t going to have any problem with taking over for Jefferson.

This next character is one who may be based on a DC character with the same name: “Dr. Jace”, who is potentially a version of Helga Race as TV Line predicts. “Dr. Jace” is a 40-something Caucasian woman who is incredibly smart and works as a computational chemist. Our heroes will have to make sure to watch out for this highly manipulative baddie who may or may not be a sociopath. This chemist is possibly focusing more on the ends as opposed to the means.

Last, but not least we have “Zoe B” who may or may not get #ThunderGrace fans a little concerned. Open for any ethnicity, this 20-something young woman is social media savvy filled with confidence and edge. But the big deal about her is that she will be a new love-interest for Anissa! Will Anissa get into a triangle with Grace and “Zoe B” in Season 2? Only time will tell, as we have yet to hear if Chantal Thuy will be back as Grace Choi. One other important thing to know about “Zoe B” though is that she isn’t necessarily looking for a relationship, so…read into that what you will.

• Love 1

https://tvline.com/2018/09/05/black-lightning-season-2-casts-looker-sofia-vassilieva/

Black Lightning for Season 2 has cast Medium alum/recent Supergirl nemesis Sofia Vassilieva in the role of the DC Comics hero dubbed Looker, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In comic book lore, Looker has had various incarnations — from a mousy bank teller who following a metahuman (and glam) transformation joined the Outsiders superhero team, to, yes, a vampire.

Black Lightning showrunner Salim Akil is mum on how exactly the CW series has conceived of the character, though he did share with TVLine, “It’s really going to be interesting, the way we approach that story…. I think people will enjoy it, but also be challenged by it.”

Looker’s introduction makes sense given TVLine’s previous reporting that the superhero’s sometime-friend and scientist, DC Comics’ Dr. Jace, is also being cast for Season 2.

https://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-2018-season-premiere-spoilers/#!4/the-book-of-consequences-chapter-one-the-rise-of-the-green-light-babies/

BLACK LIGHTNING

The title of Season 2’s opening arc — “The Book of Consequences: Rise of the Green Light Babies” — tells you pretty much all you need to know about the superhero drama’s sophomore run, which picks up just a week after the events of the finale. Per showrunner Salim Akil, “We’re going to deal with the consequences of having discovered the pod children; the consequences of Green Light hitting the streets; and the consequences of Jefferson’s daughters discovering they have powers.” Black Lightning himself remains in a “win and lose situation,” seeing as how the Green Light Babies and the mayhem they make will keep some Freelanders wary of their metahuman-powered vigilante.

Tobias Whale, last seen beaming over a mysterious, gleaming briefcase, still clutches onto a two-pronged agenda — kill Black Lightning, take over Freeland — “and in the first episode you’ll see exactly what motivates him to ‘burn the city down,’ as he says.”

On the personal front, Akil says that Anissa’s new relationship with Grace Choi will make for “really, really good” drama, while Jennifer will juggle the idea of Khalil’s redemption with the fact that, as Painkiller, her ex (briefly) killed her dad!

BONUS SPOILER!: As first reported by TVLine, Black Lightning will be introducing the DC Comics character of Looker, to be played by Medium alum/Supergirl guest star Sofia Vassilieva.

https://variety.com/gallery/fall-2018-returning-tv-shows-preview-gallery/#!4/the-book-of-consequences-chapter-two-the-rise-of-the-green-light-babies

“The Pierce family and the city of Freeland will have to deal with the consequences of the introduction of the drug Green Light and the discovery of Martin Proctor’s experiments. … In this new season there will be an introduction of a new character who will be Lynn’s co-worker, who will challenge Lynn in many new ways our other character’s haven’t to the point Lynn starts to question if she’s the woman she needs to be for her family.”

– Salim Akil, showrunner

black-lightning.jpg?w=1000

Season 2 premiere description:

“The Book of Consequences: Chapter One: Rise of the Green Light Babies” —

ROBERT TOWNSEND, BILL DUKE AND ANGELA RYE GUEST STAR –

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) and his family may have survived Tobias’s (Marvin Jones III) attack, but they’re not out of the woods yet. Concerned for the safety of Garfield’s students, the board considers a motion to shut down the school, forcing Jefferson to go to Napier Frank (guest star Robert Townsend) to sway the vote. Jennifer (China Anne McClain) struggles with her powers and her actions have unforeseen repercussions. Meanwhile, Anissa (Nafessa Williams) finds a new way to give back to Freeland. Lastly, Lynn (Christine Adams) continues her quest much to the dismay of Agent Odell (guest star Bill Duke). Damon Gupton and James Remar also star.

The episode was directed and written by Salim Akil (#201). Original airdate 10/9/2018.

Another mercenary cast: https://deadline.com/2018/09/black-lightning-kearran-giovannia-recur-season-2-cw-series-1202469335/

Major Crimes alumna Kearran Giovanni is set for recurring role on the upcoming second season of the CW’s Black Lightning.

Giovanni will play Cutter, a smart, proud, tough and beautiful woman more than able to best a man in combat — a mercenary trained by British intelligence.

Will she be working with Tobias or someone else?

Erika Alexander cast!

Black Lightning is booking some couch time with Living Single alumna Erika Alexander: The actress will recur during Season 2 of the CW series as Perenna, a telepathic therapist who comes to the aid of a Pierce family member, TVLine has learned.

Perenna will try to help Jennifer — who, last season, discovered she has abilities like her father and sister — acclimate to her manifesting powers and the emotions that go along with them. While her dad and sis have taken to fighting crime as both a duo and solo, Jennifer has been more reluctant to embrace her new reality.

Alexander will appear in three episodes of the show, ...

https://tvline.com/2018/10/04/black-lightning-casts-erika-alexander-perenna-therapist-season-2/

• Love 1

2.10, "The Book of Rebellion: Angelitos Negros" promo:

I think the SWAT team is confronting Cutter? And I can't tell who Tobias is speaking to.

Angelitos Negros = Little Black Angels

2.10 description:

"The Book of Rebellion: Chapter Three: Angelitos Negros" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

PLANS - Still on the run, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) and Khalil (Jordan Calloway) succumb to their feelings for one another and begin planning their future together. Meanwhile, Jefferson (Cress Williams) approaches Henderson (Damon Gupton) with a favor. Nafessa Williams, Marvin Jones III and James Remar also star.

Benny Nzingha Stewart directed the episode written by Jan Nash & J. Allen Brown (#210). Original airdate 1/21/2019.

"Their future together" - sure, show. I hope this is the conclusion of this arc.

2.11 description:

The Book of Secrets: Chapter One: Prodigal Son

FRUSTRATION – Jefferson (Cress Williams) suspects that Tobias (Marvin Jones III) is behind a recent malicious attack. He brings this news to Henderson (Damon Gupton) but doesn’t get the answer he was looking for. Meanwhile, Lynn (Christine Adams) is confronted by her past. Nafessa Williams, China Anne McClain, Jordan Calloway and James Remar also star.

Rob Hardy directed the episode written by Pat Charles (#211). Original airdate 1/28/2019.

Hmm, they carefully didn't mention Jen or Khalil. Or the new characters they introduced.
Can Lynn catch a break please?  :(

Casting news: Hosea Chanchez To Recur

Chanchez will play Marcus Bishop, a secret ASA operative in league with Dr. Helga Jace, played by Jennifer Riker. Codenamed Shakedown, he possesses the ability to generate vibrations and frequencies at will. Irreverent, bitter and impulsively violent, this ex-Air Force officer killed his superior officer when he was passed over for promotion because of a poor performance review. At Ft. Leavenworth, he signed with Dr. Jace and embraced his role with the ASA, taking pleasure in producing a high body count on his covert missions.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/black-lightning-hosea-chanchez-recur-season-2-cw-series-1202538601/

Comments about the show joining the rest of the CW/DC shows:

Characters from Black Lightning will make an appearance in the network’s forthcoming Arrowverse crossover “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” the network confirmed at the Television Critics Association summer press tour Sunday morning.

Black Lightning has been separate from the Arrowverse shows since it premiered in 2018; however, the premise of this year’s crossover made this the right time to bring Black Lightning into the fold, according to CW president Mark Pedowitz.

“The whole theory of ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ is that alternative universes collapse,” Pedowitz told reporters Sunday. “This is a DC property. We felt that it might be the right time if [executive producer Salim Akil] was interested in doing it. We had a conversation with Salim, and he said, yes, it made a lot of sense to make the connection at this point. He’s in his own universe. He is doing his own thing. We would not have done it if he had not signed off on it.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/04/cress-williams-black-lightning-arrowverse-crisis-on-infinite-earths/