Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Politics

Dvldj
  • Start Topic

A Congressman who's friends with Voight is found with a dead Ukrainian girl.

So Burgess has been on the team and with the department long enough to know not to willingly share information with the FBI. Rookie mistake, but man did Voight go in on her.

Anyway, when Burgess said: "Wait you just said we're gonna stand down until they [FBI] made their case" and Voight turned to look at her I was waiting for him to stick his hand out and say "Hello, I'm Sergeant Hank Voight, nice to meet you." Was she seriously shocked he was lying to the FBI about standing down? What is she, new?

Hmm, it seems Ruzek may be rethinking his idea to flip on the team, seeing Kim do the right thing or rather what's best for the team. As long as they've worked with Voight they should know by now that he can get them out from almost anything. I don't get how they ever think it's a choice to go against the team. 

Edited by WendyCR72
Just fixed episode formatting
  • Love 7

I'm find this show confusing and hard to follow with all the politics. I played candy crush a few episodes back while watching and now I have no idea who some of the new characters are. That black guy who threatened Voight with the fact that he lied about the dead cop from a few episodes back, who is he again? I'm so lost.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Dvldj said:

So Burgess has been on the team and with the department long enough to know not to willingly share information with the FBI. Rookie mistake, but man did Voight go in on her.

Anyway, when Burgess said: "Wait you just said we're gonna stand down until they [FBI] made their case" and Voight turned to look at her I was waiting for him to stick his hand out and say "Hello, I'm Sergeant Hank Voight, nice to meet you." Was she seriously shocked he was lying to the FBI about standing down? What is she, new?

It seems incredible that she didn't suspect that there could have been a conflict of interest if she asked her Fed prosecutor boyfriend for information. At least she should have run the idea by her boss first.

• Love 5
On 12/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, Dvldj said:

For Burgess to question the FBI meeting, it was an integrity issue for her and not so much naivete about the team. IMO. She did the right thing on her own when dealing with the boyfriend in order to get the killer which Olinsky acknowledged later to Voight.                                                                                                                              

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

....At least she should have run the idea by her boss first.

Agree, but she looks at all law enforcement entities as being on the same team which is a mistake given how the writers have chosen to put so much emphasis this season on police corruption. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm find this show confusing and hard to follow with all the politics. I played candy crush a few episodes back while watching and now I have no idea who some of the new characters are. That black guy who threatened Voight with the fact that he lied about the dead cop from a few episodes back, who is he again? I'm so lost.

That's Alderman Price (a councilman). We first met him in S5.E01: Reform (The episode about a gun deal gone bad that resulted in the death of a little girl). He is a corrupt politician who makes deals with drug dealers to fund his office and has to find an angle where he benefits before he agrees to help police.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, VinceW said:

For Burgess to question the FBI meeting, it was an integrity issue for her and not so much naivete about the team. IMO. She did the right on her own dealing with the boyfriend to get the killer which Olinsky acknowledged to Voight.                                                                                                                              

It seems they are reverting with her character. When she first joined the team she was the doe-eyed, morally balanced one that was unsure of the way they went about solving cases. Last season she seemed on board with whatever the team needed, no questions (even beat the piss out of a perp). And now she's back to that questioning stance, although she did make the choice she felt would best serve the team. Just seems strange they have two (both of the females on the team) who would rather stand on the moral high ground.

• Love 1

Wasn't there a change in showrunners which would account for the differences mentioned above. Not only with Burgess but with the whole climate of the show. Voigt also seems like he's taken on a new/different personality.

• Love 1

IMO, Burgess and all the team except perhaps Atwater, are only situationally moral. When it really matters, like with Burgess' sister, they all go a little off.  Situationally moral can ease their conscience but it is really not moral at all. But it is human.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2017 at 11:22 AM, thewhiteowl said:

IMO, Burgess and all the team except perhaps Atwater, are only situationally moral. When it really matters, like with Burgess' sister, they all go a little off.  Situationally moral can ease their conscience but it is really not moral at all. But it is human.

The team lost its way on the situational morality front during the period that Antonio was away from the show. When Burgess was a beat cop, she was always driven by ethics when dealing with suspects and the victims.  Ethics refers to rules provided by an external source (e.g. codes of conduct in the workplace). Morals refer to an individual's own principles regarding right and wrong. The writers have taken the show away from following set moral principles especially Voight.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

I remember wondering if the promo department watched their own show before the heroes campaign. Now the writers themselves seemed to forget who Sergeant Voight is while simultaneously having Mykelti Williamsom trying to take him on in their story.  Any politician stupid enough to use Sergeant Voight as the face of police when he has others without the baggage standing right in front of him deserves to be taken down by any means necessary.

• Love 1

So Kim thought it was a good idea to disclose details of their investigation to her federal prosecutor boyfriend. How long has she been in Intelligence? Anyone who works for Voight should know that he would not approve of his people sharing information with outside agencies. Then she acts brand new when she realized Voight lied to the FBI about working together, the girl was acting extra slow.

So Adam is just going to jeopardize his entire team, just because the big bad man is blackmailing him. Had he gone to Voight, the situation would have been resolved. He should know by now that Voight does not take betrayal lightly, plus he is putting himself in a position, where no one on his team besides Kim will trust him. He and Kim are perfect for each other with their silly selves. 

• Love 4