Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: It's Raining Men (Of War)

thewhiteowl

This episode was a real mixed bag for me: 

Robert Patrick delivered an Emmy worthy performance—I guess as a sort of audition for some future Emmy worthy show?

Meanwhile, the squabbling nerds successfully shoot a harpoon to the jellyfish surrounded, rapidly dissolving island of plastic trash on which 3 of the nerds are marooned. I assume most of the audience is yelling at the screen (like I was), "Use the rope to pull the trash and the boat next to each other!" But no. The nerds suspend themselves from the rope until it dislodges from the island of plastic. Okay, I think, a little drama, now surely they'll pull it back to the boat and refire it at the plastic island; maybe it will even take a time or two. But before these thoughts can fully form in my mind, the harpoon rope sproings back like a rubber band and, in true Scorpion form, creates a huge hole in the boat.

By now, doesn't Scorpion owe the Coast Guard enough in expenses to fund a small country?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I had to laugh when the harpoon hit the boat. Of course it did!

What happened to Sly's book?  Did I miss his reaction? The last I saw, it was falling off the shelf.

Edited by madfortv
Added a question.
  • Love 3

Aw Cabe :(    Toby as counselor/therapist is not so bad. 

This was mostly enjoyable but I had to really overlook the dumb:

Sorry, Walter, as leader of the team it is up to YOU to determine if Florence's concoction would work, by asking what was in it!!!  I know, the whole premise falls apart because he doesn't, but really, he should have.  He just takes her word without asking how? Dumb.

Why is the mechanic scattering worms on the trash?  Why is Paige driving the boat?  Those roles should have been reversed.  But that would have shown a level of planning that team Scorpion doesn't have.

I like Florence and I'm glad Ralph replaced her beakers.   Though I didn't blame Florence for the accident or her reactions to everything I liked Paige defending her team of nerds.

I get Walter being emotional about Happy and Toby having a baby, but it's not about him, stop pressing for them to consider Walter as a name.  I liked Happy telling Toby type jokes and the team interactions worked as usual. 

Yup, the harpoon hitting the boat was totally predictable and I laughed too.

16 hours ago, madfortv said:

What happened to Sly's book?  Did I miss his reaction? The last I saw, it was falling off the shelf.

We didn't get a reaction or it's on the cutting room floor somewhere.  It fell off the shelf and that was it.  I really felt for Sly, I know how it feels to get excited about getting my hands on a book I've been waiting for and being able to settle down with it.

• Love 2

When the boat first died, I thought, ok, why don't you row yourselves closer to rescue them? standard safety procedure is always have an oar on a boat. Then I thought, maybe the show forgot about that, but then when they talked about calling the coast guard, they did say the coast guard would have to cut their motors at a certain distance and then row to them, so the concept of rowing through the jellyfish did not seem to be foreign to them, so why was this never an option? I mean, I know with this show certainly there'd be some preposterous reason why even that would've failed, but seriously, harpoon over oars?

I was also thinking, why the fuck didn't they drop anchor when they first got to the plastic island. Seriously, why did Happy need to radio the genius boat to say "hey stay in one spot so we can get off"? This should have been more obvious than "ask new chemist about her formulation before accepting that her claim of 100% success over your 93% must be true without any explanation of what her formulation is".

I also do not care for practicing-psychiatrist Toby. It's ok enough when they're presenting him as some sort of master behaviour-reader, then he can do some kind of vague "the suspect is lying" or "he trusts you" bullshit or whatever and I can buy that enough because it's all just dependent on him being some sort of genius at seeing things in people. When they have him doing the sort of TV version of sit and talk therapy he just seems so obvious, boring, generic probing, of course there are repressed memories to discover, because that's not a plot anvil at all.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

When the boat first died, I thought, ok, why don't you row yourselves closer to rescue them? standard safety procedure is always have an oar on a boat. Then I thought, maybe the show forgot about that, but then when they talked about calling the coast guard, they did say the coast guard would have to cut their motors at a certain distance and then row to them, so the concept of rowing through the jellyfish did not seem to be foreign to them, so why was this never an option? I mean, I know with this show certainly there'd be some preposterous reason why even that would've failed, but seriously, harpoon over oars?

So obvious!—even if I didn't think of it—but now that you mention it, how about a sail? It would take more precious time than oars, but, hey, this show loves to waste precious time, especially when lethal quantities of jellyfish are attacking. First they would try oars—and then lose them through some Laurel & Hardy-ish mishap, and then they would move on to sail construction—having had Sly bring along Chekhov's awning to protect his skin from the sun while he was reading his book. 

• Love 1

That episode was mixed.

I liked Florence a lot more, but that could be because I like Tina Majorino from Veronica Mars.

The harpoon was... uhhhh... well, something. I don't think physics works that way...

And that book was not 7 inches tall.

When watching this show, I keep imagining it as a cartoon and that is waht it is.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2017 at 5:20 PM, raven said:

Sorry, Walter, as leader of the team it is up to YOU to determine if Florence's concoction would work, by asking what was in it!!!  I know, the whole premise falls apart because he doesn't, but really, he should have.  He just takes her word without asking how? Dumb.

THIS!!  I've liked the show, but this episode may have lost me.  No way would Walter accept anyone else's work without checking it over.  And he was a total a$$ in this episode.

Then the fact that it looked to me like the harpoon hit above the water line, the water was gushing in but the level didn't seem to rise inside the boat, as someone else pointed out they sent Happy to the plastic island instead of keeping her on the boat, and the whole "I need 7 more inches" - why not raise your arms a bit?  And the ocean swells that suddenly arise?  

I did very much like the scenes between Cabe and Toby, right now that's the only reason I'd stay.