Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Simon Ostrovsky

• Start Topic

I guess there's not necessarily going to be a guest -- John did mention at the end that there was a web exclusive interview up with journalist Simon Ostrovsky. I think the show really needs to be bumped up to an hour. There was also a funny letter from Pom Wonderful read by John, that is also up on YouTube.

(edited)

I wasn't really on board with Episode 1, but Episode 2 was REALLY good.  Funny, but with a pretty good thoughtful/insightful aspect laced in there.

If we keep getting stuff like a third of the show being on the Death penalty, and poking fun at the west's hypocrisy over Brunei, then I'm in for the long haul. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I really liked the death penalty story too.   I don't think I've ever seen anything like it on a comedy show.  I hope that John keeps doing stories like this. 

• Love 1

I wasn't really on board with Episode 1, but Episode 2 was REALLY good.  Funny, but with a pretty good thoughtful/insightful aspect laced in there.

Agreed. Thought the first episode was weak, but this one was much stronger. I don't know, the first episode sort of struggled to find relevant material, IMO. But I enjoyed all the segments this week. The one on capital punishment was so on-point and concise. "A list made up of Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and China isn't a list you want to be on. You want to be on a list with Finland."

Also loved the "mockumentary" about the President of France. "We all know the United States of America is the greatest country of the world. But did you know that there are other countries in the world that aren't the United States?" LOL. The thing about Brunei was good too. 

Hopefully they took a look at their first episode and figured out what wasn't working.

I really liked the death penalty story too.   I don't think I've ever seen anything like it on a comedy show.  I hope that John keeps doing stories like this. 

In a way I admired the Brunei piece even more, because aside from being both funny and informative, it was a big fuck you not only to hypocritical western governments, but also to all of the general media who ignored the story.

In a way I admired the Brunei piece even more, because aside from being both funny and informative, it was a big fuck you not only to hypocritical western governments, but also to all of the general media who ignored the story.

The media has finally done a few stories on Brunei now, but only because Jay Leno joined in a protest at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 

(edited)

I couldn't find the Brunei piece on YouTube, but I was able to watch the death penalty "report" and Pom letter-- I love that John is willing to simply state his opinion (If you believe... and I don't....). He manages to be affable while being opinionated, and I'm fascinated by this skill. So often opinion is accompanied by bilious outrage, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I think it's remarkable when people are able to pull no punches but still not seem hostile and exhausted underneath. When I watch John O, I get a sense of joy percolating underneath everything he does, even when the criticism is as harsh as that of any other commentator. I really like it.

I have to agree that the Pom letter really was a brilliant up yours. I love how they can go ahead and say the research is not conclusive, too. Like: if we admit it, does that make it better, or does that make it worse?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I also really liked this episode. I think John does have this skill of being affable and opinionated.

As someone who studied international affairs, I love John's international news stuff. I have a lot of love for TDS/TCR, but since John is not an American by birth, his perspective on America and the world is different. He seems more willing to feature less American centric pieces and background (love the British history bits). I really appreciate he is tackling and mocking international news stories.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well , I loved that.  I loved that John Oliver managed to do a very lengthy anti-death penalty piece, without any name-calling, scolding, or hectoring.  I'm anti-death penalty, but long ago I wasn't.  It was the very calm presentation of much of that information (sans the DNA acquittal statistics) that started the process of changing my mind all those years ago.  So (in a truly ironic moment) I was happier than hell throughout a discussion of the death penalty.  Like, Dance-Dance-Revolution kind of happy.  

Good second week! Loved the piece on the President of France too, and everything about the Brunei piece.  Basically?  Loved this week.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

It's somewhat ironic that the Brunei piece, which STARTS with the premise that the Brunei issue is conveniently being ignored by the world's media, is the one part of that broadcast that's been excluded from the free content on-line (you can still see it with HBO Go, if you pay however).